• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favourite Scenes and Favourite Characters! Obvious Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Sorry 

• Bonehunter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:31 AM

So, I know this is a hard question to ask, but if you guys could pick 1 character and 1 scene from ALL of the Malazan Books, what would they be??
"There is so much", 'So much?', "To give answer to, Gamet. Indeed, it takes words from the throat, yet the silence it leaves behind -- the silence screams."
-Tene Baralta to Fist Gamet

#2 User is offline   The Tyrant Lizard 

• First Sword

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

My favourite scene is probably still the part in GotM when Reist fights the dragons. I can vsion it so clearly in my head it's almost as if I've watched it on tele.

My favourite character is probably Baudin. He's such a badass, but in a realistic could-happen kind of way.
I want to die the way my dad died, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

#3 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

I still really love the scene with QB, Korbolo Broach and Bauchelain, in MOI.

The bit after QB has blown Broach through the wall, and Bauchelain says 'Impressive, but you should have kept something back', and QB says, 'Oh, but I did...' and blows Bauchelain right out of his chair. Priceless.

Picking one character is hard. Kalam, probably, as I like the scenes from his POV. :D

This post has been edited by Traveller: 04 December 2008 - 11:46 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#4 User is offline   Benji 

• Fist

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

I must say, pretty much every scene involving Tehol is excellent. Add Bugg in and it just makes them awesome.

Of course, if you add in Shurq and Ublala the whole thing just becomes priceless.

That being said, I did really like the whole extended scene with the members of the 14th escaping underneath Y'Ghatan as well as the battle between QB, Trull, Onrack and Icarium at the First Throne

#5 User is offline   Ursus 

• Corporal

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:47 PM

Its not so much a scene as an episode but the siege of Capustan has an awesomeness-factor of +10 with icing on top.

As for characters i must say i'm a huge fan of Toc the Younger. I dont even have a particular reason for it, i just plain like him. A close second is Ganoese Paran, the two are very similar so its perhaps not so surprising they top my list together.

#6 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Well my favourite character is Tehol Beddict.

As for my favourite scene it could pretty much be any of the many comical exchanges between Mael/Bugg and Tehol. A close second would probably be Kruppe standing up to Caladan Brood and his hammer.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#7 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

Mael at the moment he's going to beat up the Crippled God, after Withal threw down the CG's pocktet realm/tent
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#8 User is offline   SonOfDarkness 

• Lord of Moons Spawn
  • Mother Darks Favoured Son

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

A few scenes I chose, most are from TTH, I hae to do some re-reading to get some of the older scenes back into my head.

1) When rake leaves black coral and puts his hand upto wave back at Endest to say Peace out!

2) Raest and the dragons was another good, definately pictured it in my head

3) The scene where Rake and Hood see each other and they both hesitate for a moment then approach each other, the rest is hitosry.

4) When Rake arrived in Darujistan " The son of darkness has arrived in Darujistan" the quote went something like that, braugt a couple of shivers ( I was baked when I read it so that might have had something to do with )

Yes I am leaning towards Rakes scenes.

#9 User is offline   lord of tragedy 

• High Fist

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:51 PM

strange how reading through this post so many of the scenes mentioned seem so engraved in my mind. favourite scene is difficult. the moment before trull sengar killed the Ceda in MT or the arrow through Coltaines skull from the walls of aren. favourite character is more difficult. dancer for his humanity, but coltaine was an incredible character. wish he hadn't reappeared as some super powered imp in the shockingly bad ROTCG. tut tut.
sitting down here in the campfire light, waiting on the ghost of tom joad.

#10 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

Rake in Dragnipur. That whole scene painted such an ace picture in my head.
Iktovian, although I was saddened at his resurrection(I felt it made the death less awesome)
Same for WJ.
Memories of Ice prologue.
Broods line "It shall be just Caldan Brood and Anomander Rake. One last time." Paraphrased, but you know what I mean.
Kallors fight with Spinnock.

To name but a few of my favourite scenes.

Favourite charatcer is also Difficult.

I enjoy Rake a lot, as its usually interesting to read about, whether it be the present, an insight into history. Ace charatcer.
Kallor I also start to enjoy considerably more during TTH.
Quick Ben is usually good.
Dancer I like, shadowthrone less so.
Coltaine was also awesome.
I usually find Draconus' scenes fairly interesting aswell.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#11 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:59 PM

I made a thread in the bonehunters forum once about moving scenes in the book, here's my opening post:

Ok I haven't seen any threads like this one yet.

I am always impressed with an authors work if he's able to move me through words. The thing that makes me love the malazanbooks is that SE is able to do this over and over again. It doesn't have to be a sad scene, some times it's the pure entensity or beauty of a passage that will give me a lump in the throat or make me have to blink a few times to not lose the rest of my composure.

I'll start:
The part where Crokus and friends are on their way to the Otataral Island, their boat is smashed and Chaur drowns. Barathol pulls Chaur up on the ship that's being protected by the mule and Sister Spite, carrying Mappo, Pust and Mogora.

First there's the part where Barathol shouts at Chaur:
'Barathol," the woman (scillara) gasped.
Mappo watched as the man named Barathol quickly rolled his companion over and began pushing the water from his lungs.
"Barathol-"
"Quiet, Scillara-"
"He was under too long-"
"Quiet!"
Mappo watched, trying to remember what such ferocity, such loyalty, felt like. he could almost recall... almost. He has drowned, this one. See all that water? yet Barathol would not cease in his efforts, pulling the limp, flopping body about this way and that, rocking the arms, then, finally dragging the head and shoulders onto his lap, where he cradled the face as if it was a newborn babe.
The man's expression twisted, terrible in grief. "Chaur! Listen to me! This is Barathol. Listen! I want you to... to bury the horses" Do you hear me? You have to bury the horse! Before the wolves come down! I'm not asking, Chaur, do you understand? I'm telling you!"
He has lost his mind. From this, there is no recovery, I know, I know-"
"Chaur! I wil get angry, do you understand? Angry... with you! With you, Chaur! Do you want Barathor angry with you, Chaur? Do you want-"
A cough, gouting water, a convulsion, then the huge man held so tenderly in Barathol's arms seemed to curl up, one hand reaching up, and a wailing cry worked it's way through the mucus and froth.
"No, no my friend," Barathol gasped, pulling the man into a tight, rocking embrace. "I'm not angry. No, I'm not. Never mind the horses. You did that already. Remember? Oh, Chaur, I'm not angry."
But the man bawled, clutching at barathol like a child.

Then comes the part with Spite that really won me over with her.

continued
He is a simpleton. Otherwise, this Barathol, he would not have spoken to him in such a manner. He is a child in a mans body, this Chaur...
Mappo watched. As the two huge men wept in each other's arms.
Spite now stood beside the trell, and as soon as mappo became aware of her, he senses her pain -[from the meteorshower] and then her will, pushing it away with such ferocity - he dragged his gaze from the two men on the deck and stared at her.
pushing, pushing away all that pain-
"How? How did you do that?" he demanded.
"Are you blind, Mappo Runt? She asked. "Look - look at them, Trell. Chaur, his fear is gone, now. He believes Barathol, he believes him. Utterly, without question. You cannot be blind to this, to what it means.
"You are looking uppon joy, Mappo Runt. In the face of this, I will not obsess on my own pain, my own suffering. Do you understand? I will not.
Ah, spirits below, you break my heart woman.[I/] He looked back at the two men, then across to where Scillara held Crokus in her arms, stroking the man's hair as he came round. [I]Broken by all this. Again.
I had... forgotten.

#12 User is offline   Sorry 

• Bonehunter

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

This is really GREAT so far guys...
Probably my favourite Character is Apsalar... just the whole romance thing between her and Crokus got me early on :p
One of my favourite scenes is when she's talking to Squint and then Cotillion on the ship bound for Malaz... Also love when she Shadow Dances and just owns the Claw...
Another favourite scene is when Brood tells Kallor he never learns... lol
And finally, when Onos Toolan approaches Tok the Younger in Anaster's body after he's become human :p
of course, there are the funny bits (Like the Barghast girl when she realizes she's pregnant. Or Kruppe standing up to Brood... Picker and Antsy... Bugg and Tehol... haha)
"There is so much", 'So much?', "To give answer to, Gamet. Indeed, it takes words from the throat, yet the silence it leaves behind -- the silence screams."
-Tene Baralta to Fist Gamet

#13 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Favourite scene is a tough one with so many fantastic ones to choose from, but my favourite is probably the Brys v Rhulad fight at the end of MT. I really liked Brys and he completely destroyed Rhulad. And then to follow that up with his senseless death, it really got to me.

My favourite character is either Kallor or Fiddler. Seeing things from Kallor's POV was just great and added more dimensions to his character. I've liked Fiddler from the start because he's almost like a normal person with just a couple of skills to keep him alive. I also love his whole squad in the Bonehunters.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#14 User is offline   Onos 

• Fist

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

Well, it shouldnt surprise too many people that i say Onos is my favorite. My favorite scene is where he fights the 2nd best seguleh in the war party, then comes dragging him unconcious out of the darkness. Envy says something like i hope you didnt kill him. To which Onos replies, just two broken wrists, i only used the flat of my blades. At which point a totally disinterested Mok flinches/looks up upon hearing that. I really love all the Onos interactions with the Seguleh. Also his chats with Toc.

Also Capustan Battle was a favorite. Gruntles POV of the battle.

#15 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

I love Hellian's scenes, she is so flawed but someone says she will die happy - can't exactly remember where it is written, or which book. I guess I have a soft spot for flawed or damaged characters like Beak (I have had many a good cry over his sacrifice). Having looked after "damaged people" in nursing I can see the wonderful character development this author had created. The depth that love plays in many story-lines far outways the heartbreak, Catherine

#16 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

some of my favourite scenes are the ones where bugg just kinda become mael again for a second or two. like in MT you can just see him come skidding into the street and seeing a group of edur just kicking the shit out of someone on the ground. then BAM, heads implode! can totally envision that thanks to special FX

favourite character is a no brainer. hands down fiddler
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#17 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

Favorite scene in the entire series might have to go to Tehol and co musing about the chickens as they wander everywhere, catch on fire, get stuffed in pillow cases, etc. Every bit of that was comic gold.

Fav character is a toss up between Dukier, Fiddler and Kalam.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#18 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

Best scene is from MOI when Quick Ben drops Kallor in a hole after Kallor threatens to release the souls in QB.

Best char is Fiddler.
They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#19 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:08 PM

My favourite main character is a toss-up between Fiddler and Paran, but my favourite character is Blend. She just, appeals to me. Someone who goes largely unnoticed, but seems to always be around.

Scene-wise, I'd have to say it's the part of the Chain of Dogs where the sorcerers summon the hordes of butterflies. I thought that scene was particularly, brutally, beautiful.

Though I must agree with whoever said it above, the whole escape from Yghatan thing was incredible!!! Truly showed development of relationships between the people in Fid's new squad, not to mention that when I was reading it, I almost felt claustrophobic. Erikson did a very good job with that!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#20 User is offline   Onos 

• Fist

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

View PostBlend, on Dec 8 2008, 11:08 AM, said:

My favourite main character is a toss-up between Fiddler and Paran, but my favourite character is Blend. She just, appeals to me. Someone who goes largely unnoticed, but seems to always be around.

Scene-wise, I'd have to say it's the part of the Chain of Dogs where the sorcerers summon the hordes of butterflies. I thought that scene was particularly, brutally, beautiful.

Though I must agree with whoever said it above, the whole escape from Yghatan thing was incredible!!! Truly showed development of relationships between the people in Fid's new squad, not to mention that when I was reading it, I almost felt claustrophobic. Erikson did a very good job with that!

The whole Yghatan battle was probably the most captivating read for me in that i was unable to put the book down during that chapter. Up til then each chapter was 20 pages, so i said, ok fine i will read one more chapter before sleep. Little did i know the next chapter would be 100 pages long without any interruptions. I was up WAY too late that night, and the read was emotionally exhausting for me. (the crazy fight, the fire, then the tunnel struggle was just about too much for me :The Force: ) And yes i had the claustrophobic moments too.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users