Malazan Empire: ASoIaF pilot greenlit on HBO - Malazan Empire

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »

ASoIaF pilot greenlit on HBO Hopefully series order soon.. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

I can't really see ASoIaF made into a series for a ha'penny an episode, can you?
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#22 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Yeah I know what you mean I plan on re-reading the series before this tv series comes out or the next book in the series, whichever comes first. It's been about two years since I read FFC so I'm in need of a serious re-fresher.
Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#23 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Anyone know roughly how long it takes from this stage to actually seeing a pilot episode, normally?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#24 User is offline   Gilgamesh1082 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:31 PM

If the pilot has been greenlit, they'll start pre-production immediately. I'm sure they've been scouting out possible locations, but if they haven't, that and the casting will be the first two things they start on. Assuming a standard of 3 months for pre-production on a show like this just to get everything ready to shoot, I would like to hazard a guess of May or so is when HBO will see the pilot. They'll probably have 5 or 6 shows vying for a single spot before or after Big Love or True Blood in either January of 2010 or Fall of next year. Hopefully ASoIaF gets that slot.

#25 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:33 PM

I think they said something over on Westeros about there being 9-10 different pilots ordered and 5-6 being picked up out of those. Some big names in the competition (from a directorial standpoint, anyway), so it's not a done deal by any means. Personally I'm unsure that HBO is going to sink such a lot of money into a project that has so many child parts - they like quality in their shows, and having more than half the PoVs underage could make that kind of difficult to do.

So yeah, I'm kind of pessimistic myself, but we'll see what happens.

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#26 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:55 PM

I'm eager to see some initial castings,
any suggestions for the older characters, eddard stark et al?

#27 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Kenneth Brannagh

Patrick Stewart

There's some for starters Maccy
souls are for wimps

#28 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

This is HBO. It'll be middle to low-profile actors, but if Rome is anything to go be, casting shouldn't be a concern :D
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#29 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

The Producers asked for casting suggestions from the Westeros board. I have a feeling they're going to end up with more advice than they know what to do with if their casting forums are anything to go by. :D

Sir Thursday

This post has been edited by Sir Thursday: 27 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#30 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

imagine producers approached us for suggestions on casting a malazan show, carnage riots and fisticuffs would ensue

#31 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:53 AM

I think its time to join the Westeros board...
souls are for wimps

#32 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:39 AM

If that happened, for some strange reason I can imagine JA gettin a part in the movie as the last living member of the board lmao :D
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#33 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Latest word from the producers:

"Thanks again to everyone who has posted their casting suggestions and a special thanks to our excellent hosts here on the board for their synopses, which save us a great deal of time. It is encouraging to see that our actor/character ideas often match those of the board, and it is helpful to learn about a whole slew of actors we weren't familiar with before.

The age of the actors is a significant issue; trust us that this is something we've discussed with George since our earliest conversations (well over two years ago). None of the characters will be radically aged.

The location has not yet been finalized, but we're getting close. With any luck, George will be giving you an answer to that question before the end of the year, or very early in 2009.

Shooting dates have also not been determined yet. We're impatient, too, but as you can imagine this is an elaborate production, with large sets to be built, a huge cast to be filled, etc.

For those who would like to send resumes, videos, etc.: we hope to have a casting director in place within the next month. When we do, we'll let you know his/her name and where materials should be sent.

One last thing: our focus at the moment is on casting the pilot. So we're only worried about characters who appear in the pilot. Just so you know the pilot parameters, here's the first line of dialogue:

"We should start back."

And here's the last line:

"The things I do for love."

Sound familiar?

We think you're going to like it...

D&D"

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#34 User is offline   teholbeddict 

• Drinking Queen of the Abyssmal Army!!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

Well I guess that answers the question someone was asking of whether they'll have the incestuous scene between Jamie and Cersei. Add in Bran being thrown off the roof and it should all make for an interesting pilot.

This post has been edited by teholbeddict: 04 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

Procrastination is like masturbation, you're only F ing yourself...
-Bubbalicious -

Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King, Jr-

The only thing one can learn from one's past mistakes is how to repeat them exactly.
-Stone Monkey-

Muffins are just ugly cupcakes!
-Zanth13-

#35 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

I can't wait to see this. I hope it won't suck.

2 thinks I can't wait to see:

The wall-It could be so awsome to see and I hope they do it right.

Who they get to play Tyrion. I find him to be one of the most interesting characters in the books and hope they get someone to do him justice.

#36 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I think Peter Dinklage would be an awesome choice for Tyrion:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/

#37 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

The Westeros board has been having a lot of fun with this. Smart of the producers to end the pilot with "the things I do for love". My guess is once HBO viewers see Bran getting kicked out that window followed by that line they'll be locked in for the season.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#38 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

The Winter is Coming blog as an interesting review of the Game of Thrones pilot script here.

Some thoughts:

* Having the map of Westeros in the title sequence is a canny and necessary move, as the viewers will be reminded of the geography every week.
* The prospect of 'new' (albeit GRRM-approved and possibly tweaked) scenes may be distressing, but as with most of the new 'good' stuff in the Lord of the Rings movies (i.e. not Aragorn getting thrown over a cliff for no reason) these scenes flesh out the story and better establish character rather than be gratuitous additions to the plot. Getting our first glimpse of Tyrion in a brothel establishes facets of the character better than just seeing him arrive in Winterfell's courtyard.
* At this stage, no flashbacks. Whilst I'd hope we eventually see the Tower of Joy 'in the flesh' as it were (in Ned's dream sequence), the decision to have only dialogue references to the War of the Usurper and Lyanna's death seems reasonable. However, I do really want to see the Rhaegar/Robert fight as it is an iconic image from the novels, often used in artwork. Again, maybe we get to see it later on.
* The Others' full capabilities are not revealed in as much detail as in the novel, presumably to make later sequences more of a surprise.
* Condensing Dany's story into larger, but less frequent chunks may be a good idea, similar to how smaller secondary characters are handled in other HBO shows such as The Wire and Rome. Following the book slavishly would only give us 5-minute bursts of Dany every week or so, whilst this scheme means she won't be in every episode, but will have big chunks of time when she does so.
* Most encouraging is the news that both the Wall and Dany's storylines will be followed faithfully from episode one. There had been much speculation that both may have been marginalised or not even featured in the first season, but clearly the writers are playing for keeps here.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#39 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

I'm very happy with the additions, but a bit wary about the Ned/Jaime conversation. I hope Jaime doesn't tell him why he killed Aerys; or if he does I hope he doesn't give his true reasons. But I do hope that Jaime gets more screentime than in the book so that nonreaders will readily recognize him in season 3.

#40 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

If I remember my the Shield, being "greenlit" means you are going to get shivved in prison.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users