• 29 Pages +
  • « First

ASoIaF pilot greenlit on HBO Hopefully series order soon.. Rate Topic: -----

#561 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

I think he's slightly bigger than 7. Which isn't really a problem seeing how he'll tower over everybody else,anyway. Also, even in the books he wasn't 8 feet. More like 7 and a half or something
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#562 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:04 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 April 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

That was a good episode tonight. It went fairly close to that segemnt of the book from what I remember. Although did Jon tell Sansa bye when he was leaving for the wall in the book? He didnt say bye in the show. Also Robb says that Rickon is 6, I think he is 3-4 in the books.

They aged all the kids a year or two from their book incarnations (like Bran is 8 in the books, but 10 in the series), likely to make the brutal stuff some of them have to go through more palatable to conservative audiences. A guess.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#563 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:14 AM

Does anyone know where I can find this episode to watch? I don't have hbo
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#564 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:40 AM

Downloaded and watching now. One thing I noticed is that they changed part of the title sequence. Instead of showing Pentos, they showed the Dothraki plains. I wonder if the title sequence is meant to show all the places that are used a setting for that specific episode?

#565 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:36 AM

Yeah, they showed horses in a field to the west of the city and didn't show the cities name. However, King's Landing was still shown, and no action there. Perhaps it is showing the seats of the major players in that episode?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#566 User is offline   Tyr 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:13 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 25 April 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

Does anyone know where I can find this episode to watch? I don't have hbo

Warez or Torrents.

#567 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 April 2011 - 04:36 AM, said:

Yeah, they showed horses in a field to the west of the city and didn't show the cities name. However, King's Landing was still shown, and no action there. Perhaps it is showing the seats of the major players in that episode?

I guess the display of King's Landing in this episode was a nod to the fact that Robert, Ned et al are on the Kingsroad bound for the capital. It wouldn't have worked really to show the Kingsroad with tents and carriages popping up. And it's another opportunity to orient newcomers to the scale and scope of Westeros.

I'm stoked to see some of the destinations in season 2, especially Qarth. And if there's a season 3, the Slaver's Bay cities will be nice to see.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#568 User is online   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

Yup. In the titles we see the Eyrie in Episode 5 (I think) and the Twins in Episode 9 (or around then). I think Lhazar (where Dany's story climaxes) may show up in Episode 10.

It's not just the Dothraki plains that are shown, it's specifically the city of Vaes Dothrak, even down to the huge horse statues rearing up in front of it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#569 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

View PostWerthead, on 26 April 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Yup. In the titles we see the Eyrie in Episode 5 (I think) and the Twins in Episode 9 (or around then). I think Lhazar (where Dany's story climaxes) may show up in Episode 10.

It's not just the Dothraki plains that are shown, it's specifically the city of Vaes Dothrak, even down to the huge horse statues rearing up in front of it.

Ha, "climaxes". Lolz.

#570 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 April 2011 - 09:07 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 26 April 2011 - 08:47 PM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 26 April 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Ha, "climaxes". Lolz.

Glad someone else made that very mature joke that I was thinking but didn't want to say.

#571 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

So, only 3 episodes in on HBO and now all 4 existing ASOIAF books are on the NYT Bestseller list. A GAME OF THRONES is like 4th. George has to be happy as a pig in shit.

I fully expect to start seeing random non-fantasy fans reading them on the subway now like they do when any series has a big TV or film counterpart.

I've seen a few already and it makes me smile. I saw this completely unassuming 20-something preppy girl dressed for the office on the transit a few days ago reading AGOT and I couldn't help but grin like a tool. LOL.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#572 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 May 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

So, only 3 episodes in on HBO and now all 4 existing ASOIAF books are on the NYT Bestseller list. A GAME OF THRONES is like 4th. George has to be happy as a pig in shit. ...

DwD streeting in July can't hurt either, but yeah, the push is on hard and point-of-sale placards with Ned on them are everywhere.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#573 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Now how the hell do we get Maisie Williams (Arya) added to the list that HBO put forward for Emmy contention? They sent in a list that included Headley, Bean ect., but Maisie wasn't on it.

WTF?! She's the best damn one on the show for me.

Stupid HBO must have thought no one would vote for her...meanwhile she's the one everyone is talking about.

#574 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:57 AM

I'm just curious about the title? Why Game of Thrones? A Song of Ice and Fire is such a better title IMO.

There's a scene I'm just dying to see, but it won't happen for another couple of years. Though I haven't read aSoIaF for about 5 years, one scene from Storm of Sword is always just vivid in my mind when I think of the series, that is,
Spoiler

While I hold Malazan as the superior series to aSoIaF in almost every respect, I just can't think of a 1v1 duel in Malazan that is more sweet than that one.

Oh, Arya isn't at all how I pictured her. The actress is great, but wasn't she supposed to be kinda horse faced like her father? Which is why she would be hard pressed to amount to a highly regarded position of royalty. Also Tyrion isn't nearly as ugly as I imagined his character. I always pictured him as the guy from Seinfeld, only uglier.

This post has been edited by Agraba: 03 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

#575 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:17 AM

View PostAgraba, on 03 May 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

I'm just curious about the title? Why Game of Thrones?

Because it's an adaptation of...wait for it...A Game of Thrones! :)
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#576 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

The first book yeah but the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire. And it will be a bit odd having season 2 show us the stuff from A Clash of Kings while keeping the name of the first book.

Also anyone have any idea why the director seems to change.

This post has been edited by Garak: 03 May 2011 - 08:49 AM

The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#577 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

A Game of Thrones much more clearly sums up the gist of the entire series however. Plus it's a bit shorter and more likely to attract people than the series title.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#578 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

View PostGarak, on 03 May 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

The first book yeah but the series is called A Song of Ice and Fire. And it will be a bit odd having season 2 show us the stuff from A Clash of Kings while keeping the name of the first book.

Really? What the hell does the name matter in later seasons? It's just a name. We all know that the other seasons are based on the other books, and if people who don;'t know look it up they will find out too. Why on earth does it matter even one Dornish whore that the other seasons should still bear the name GAME OF THRONES?

The director changes because TV shows NEVER have the same director all the time. That would literally KILL a director with exhaustion. TV shows usually have between 5 and 10 different directors at work.

#579 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

View PostGarak, on 03 May 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Really? What the hell does the name matter in later seasons? It's just a name. We all know that the other seasons are based on the other books, and if people who don;'t know look it up they will find out too. Why on earth does it matter even one Dornish whore that the other seasons should still bear the name GAME OF THRONES?

The director changes because TV shows NEVER have the same director all the time. That would literally KILL a director with exhaustion. TV shows usually have between 5 and 10 different directors at work.

Yeah, QT is right all around here. I think the main reason for going with Game of Thrones as the series title rather than aSoIaF also hasn't been mentioned - it's more accessible to new viewers. A Song of Ice and Fire smacks of genre and high fantasy, as cool a title as it is for a series. It's also a title that derives from some very obscure lines of prophecy, and only those who have read the books are going to make that connection (hell, even then there are some that don't.) Game of Thrones smacks of political intrigue and power plays, which is the angle HBO wants to work to make it more accessible to new viewers who haven't read the series. It's also an oft-repeated line in the first book/season and even well into the other books, and it's much more of a no-brainer for new viewers (imagine: "Why is it called aSoIaF?... I have no fucking idea." vs. "Why is it called Game of Thrones... There's a throne and everyone is gaming for it plus Cersei keeps saying that line about winning or dying ahhhh makes sense.") And at the end of the day, a rose by any other name, etc, so I think taking issue with it too much really amounts to quibbling.

And the director will change virtually every episode - this is a TV thing, especially with hour long HBO epic series. The lead writer also changes for each episode, if you haven't noticed.

This post has been edited by Neocount Cicero: 03 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#580 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 May 2011 - 04:43 PM, said:

now all 4 existing ASOIAF books are on the NYT Bestseller list. A GAME OF THRONES is like 4th.

It's now 3rd.

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users