• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fallout 3

#41 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

I have it on Ultra High, and have had no problems running it. Get a faster PC. :thumbsup:

GF is watching the Ghost Hunters Live tonight, so I should have like 5 hours to play tonight :p Gotta find the Citadel.

I got across the river last night and my pc closed it and started shutting down - thank you automatic updates. Something got turned off since I had no chance to save or anything.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#42 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

bought for the xbox - so looking forward to it, my credit crunch worries seem to have flown liek piss in the wind these last weeks :thumbsup: oh i will feel this indulgence at chrimbo i swear !!!

old man...

old man

old man ooldmana

#43 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

I'm running it at The highest settings resolution 1920x1080 ....

I got to the radio station and did all that jumbo. But then packed that shit to go do some scouting of foreign lands. :thumbsup: I finished the Survival guide too.

Weapon of Choice: Combat Shotgun and The Hunting Rifle. And I occasionally use the Mini nuke launcher if something is giving me trouble. :p

#44 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

View PostTrouble, on Oct 31 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

I'm running it at The highest settings resolution 1920x1080 ....

I got to the radio station and did all that jumbo. But then packed that shit to go do some scouting of foreign lands. :p I finished the Survival guide too.

Weapon of Choice: Combat Shotgun and The Hunting Rifle. And I occasionally use the Mini nuke launcher if something is giving me trouble. :thumbsup:

Lol I was using the combat shotgun - but you gotta get in close and that hurtses us my precious.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#45 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yeah, the combat shotgun is win...but I prefer a long-range weapon. :thumbdown:

Ah, Obdi and Trouble. One of you told me your graphics settings, the other told me their resolution. Now...there are people out there who can run the game on "ultra high" when their res is 800*600. So you really need to write both (the auto-graphics settings only sets the low-high-ultra high thing, not the res).

And moi? Get a better PC? We obviously need to compare specs:
Q6600 (only @2.4GHz - I don't really overclock)
4GB DDR2 RAM
8800GTX w/756MB RAM

Those being the important specs. :p

Anyway. Just woke up this morning, so I'm going to go play some more!!!!!!!!!!

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#46 User is offline   Darts 

• dadadadaaaaa

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

I run on medium settings and res 1280x1024 and bloom instead of hdr (cause i like bloom better :thumbdown:) and it works fine, my computer is like 2 years old tho...

AMD X2 4400+
2gb ram
7800 gtx 512mb

It might work at higher settings but I feel my lag sensetivity kicks in sometimes... It looks good as is anyway, and im not sure the difference will be worth it.

#47 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:53 PM

Yes, that's why I reduced my graphics to High for a while - no point risking it. Turned it back up now though. :thumbdown:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#48 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

I'm playing it on xbox :thumbdown:

#49 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:30 AM

lol. Cheap. You're graphics abilities are weak! :thumbdown:

Shinrei said:

#50 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

My pc is shit. And I don't have the cash just yet to upgrade.

After Christmas though ... Lookout! I've had to stop playing for a while. I have become addicted. I find myself just wandering the wastes doing nothing for hours.

#51 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:24 AM

I cant get to the GNR building. God damnit - I guess I will have to try and go out the front. Ghouls are fun - 2 shots to the head and it explodes like a watermelon, its great!

#52 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:13 AM

Haha. This game is win. Pure and simple.

I, too, am addicted. And only had to stop just now because my keyboard ran out of battery. It's recharging as we speak!!!!!!!

I have a thing now. Every time I quit, I have to go and kill everyone in Megaton. :thumbdown:

Gods, this thing is awesome! Oblivion with guns? No. Morrowind with Guns!!!!!!!!!! That is a crucial distinction, btw.

So. What level are ya'll up to? And what perks have you picked?

Shinrei said:

#53 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

I'm level ten.

I have:
Ant Might
Educated
Gun Nut
Intense Training
Lady Killer
Rad Regeneration
Strong Back
Swift Learner (2)
Thief

My Character is:

Strength: 8
Perception: 5
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 7
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 6
Luck: 4

Obi>> Why cant you get there? I found it was pretty easy to just run through the subway.

This post has been edited by Trouble: 01 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

#54 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:42 AM

Here is a first-impressions 'review' I wrote on ModCraft. What do you guys think? Is it accurate?

It rules. Simple.

Lets look at it this way. All the negative possibilities are usually summed up with: "It's just going to be Oblivion with guns". Well, while Oblivion isn't that bad a game, I quite like it, in fact, this game is NOT Oblivion with guns. Oh no. It's Morrowind with guns.

And I LOVE Morrowind. Why is this analogy more appropriate? Simple. First off, there is a large focus on chances of hitting - whereas in Oblivion it's a 100% guaranteed hit if you put the cursor on the target. Mostly.

It's also a lot more in-depth than Oblivion. I only noticed it just now, but one character in Megaton (first city, and my base of ops/retreat atm), was walking past another. He said "Hi Jericho, how's it going?". Seems simple enough, at first. Read the sentence again. What does it have, that Oblivion's voiced dialog doesn't? The name. Characters in Oblivion can't tell each other apart, or so it seems. They can in Fallout 3.

Options. Going down one road can close the possibility of another. Just like in Morrowind, where you couldn't join all 3 great houses, you can't save Megaton and blow it up.
Difficulty. You can die. Unlike Oblivion, (let's assume un-modded, with the difficulty slider at normal, here) where you can just walk into any situation and expect to win (damn level-scaling), you actually can die.

For example, I was exploring a place called "Hamilton's Hideout". Few Radscorpions, nothing much. Except for the couple of raiders at the end. One had a baseball bat. The other...a combat shotgun. I was sneaking. I couldn't get into the room without going through some light, and getting spotted, so I tried to VATS the shotgun dude in the head (on my second try, because his shotgun fucking pwned me in 3 shots). Didn't work. Not only was there a reasonable chance of missing, hitting him in the head wasn't killing him fast enough. What to do? Earlier in the hideout, I'd found a bottlecap mine. Muahaha. Place mine. Shoot guy in head once with the laser pistol. Run away. Sure, I took a bit of shrapnel in the back from his shotgun. But it killed both of them. Ran right into it. Blew the guy's leg off.

So, while the game is not impossible, there ARE things that can waste you. Excellent, it's actually a near-perfect balance. So far. The one thing I did notice, which makes me a bit sad - the first time I quit (gasp, yes, I did quit sad.gif), I massacred Megaton. For fun, you understand. The second time, just before I came to write this, my keyboard was running out of battery - so I decided to wipe out Megaton quickly and then quit. Didn't work quite so well. Apparently, the residents had done some stealth levelling while I was away killing raiders. You see, I'd leveled up. Now, I had to actually use some frag mines to take them out - otherwise they were too powerful. I just hope this has it's limits. Because I really don't want to have the same problem when I'm on level 20.

Other than that, so far so good.

The dialog options are great. Some are quite comedic, although I haven't seen much that is too typical "Fallout" yet. I'm sure it's in there. It was quite funny listening to the kid in Grayditch saying "Fuckin' Ants" though. tongue.gif

Combat is smooth, VATS is hugely useful - I wouldn't recommend playing without it. One minor fear I had held - that the guns would be super-accurate when not in VATS, was allayed quickly. You still have plenty of shots miss if you're not in VATS. smile.gif

Melee...is perhaps a tad underpowered. So far. I've only tried a swtichblade, pool cue, knife, combat knife, and a sledgehammer. I haven't got anything really good in that department so far.
Armor. Not quite the variety I was hoping for. Considering I don't like half the raider armor, I'm still wearing the basic leather armor. It saddens me that there is a shortage in this department. It could have been really well done - the devs didn't go for modular, they did it as one-piece suits with only the helmet/hat being separate. If it was mix 'n' match, then I would have been one happy bunny.

Weapons are awesome. They feel realistic enough, and, as I said, you still don't always hit if you're not in VATS. I've tried a .44 scoped revolver, a 10mm pistol, a combat shotgun, a sawed off shotgun, a hunting rifle (win), a laser pistol, a missile launcher, a chinese assault rifle (basically an AK-47) and a normal assault rifle (G3). All of them feel great. There is nothing quite like getting the perfect headshot on a lower level raider, killing them with one bullet. Their head goes flying off too. :p (much as that makes me look sadistic).

VATS probably feels a lot better than normal shooting. It's just my preference. The shots are louder, reflecting the concentration on the moment, with extra noises being drowned out. It looks great. Though I would have appreciated a groin shot. tongue.gif

It looks great as well. I'm running it on Ultra High with my screen's max resolution. Better than Oblivion. Hell, it almost looks better than Crysis. Now - don't get all worked up over that last statement. If Fallout tried to do lush jungles and trees, it would fail. It's merely that it's easier to make a wasteland look really amazing, and high quality, than it is to make a forest look real.

Quests are good so far. Sadly, I've only really met "good" people - except for Mr Burke. Which makes it harder to play an evil character, when all the quests you get are along the lines of "deliver this letter to my family", or "can you go save this person". Of course, I've only been playing for 4 hours, and I've only done like 5 or 6 quests! So I expect this to pick up as well.

One of the best things about this game - ammo is not plentiful. Far from it. You have to weigh every shot. If you are looking at a raider hiding in a shell of a building, anything less than 40% chance to hit on the body, or 30% on the head, and you're wasting precious ammo. You're not going to him. Certainly not more than once. So you need to get a better position. All the while he's pinging you from his position. I expect as I level further, this will become less of an issue - but it's still amazing how every time I'm thinking "how much ammo do I have left" - EVERY SINGLE SHOT. It's the same with health. Stimpacks are the single greatest item that I just can't get enough of. Restoring 40 HP each use, or repairing a crippled limb (:thumbdown:), these things are life. And they cost around 30 bottle caps a hit - that's a lot. Bloody rare in the wastes too.

I haven't noticed radiation. When I go my first couple of rad points, I was like "hoshit!". Then I checked my rad meter. It takes 200 rads to get radiation sickness. It takes 1000 to kill you. I've been playing for four hours total - and I don't even have 200 yet. No RadX, no RadAway. Drinking from fountains, eating bloatfly meat - all of this gives you rads. But only about 2 or 4 at a time. That's not a lot. Considering the water is restoring between 5 and 10 HP. It's a good trade off, as I can get full health back, and not even have rad sickness! Mind you, this was a delicate balancing act - I can tell. If they made it too large a part, it would have simply been annoying. So it's probably about as good as it could be.

Hmm...I think that covers everything so far. I could go into more detail...but I'll save that.

Oh - one last thing. It auto saves at the vault exit. Do you know why this is huge? No? It's the equivalent of the sewer exit in Oblivion. Here, you can change any decisions about your character! So they learned that lesson. (I was kicking myself, as I hadn't saved there). tongue.gif
Because the Vault opening sequence is about twice the length of the sewer.

tl;dr:

It's win. Pure win. Buy it. Or I'll have to kill you. Seriously. Game of the Year. Easy. If anything else gets it...I will be shocked beyond belief. I will stop taking the magazine's/site's/establishment's opinion on anything seriously.

The ratings around the web have been good. I'd probably give it about a 9.8/10. Maybe more. I'll get back to you later, when I've played some more. smile.gif

Shinrei said:

#55 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

View PostTrouble, on Nov 1 2008, 12:22 AM, said:

I'm level ten.

I have:
Ant Might
Educated
Gun Nut
Intense Training
Lady Killer
Rad Regeneration
Strong Back
Swift Learner (2)
Thief

My Character is:

Strength: 8
Perception: 5
Endurance: 6
Charisma: 7
Intelligence: 6
Agility: 6
Luck: 4

Obi>> Why cant you get there? I found it was pretty easy to just run through the subway.

I tried to go at it from the west, theres no way to get there, although I did slog my way through a bunch of supermutants and raiders.

I tried to get to it from the north, everything is blocked off - I went down into the subway and came up on the other side of the river.

I'll have to try to get there from the south with all the damn centaurs all over the place.

Can't convince 2 people in tenpenny to let the ghouls live with them - that would make me happy - seeing those snobs living with the ghouls.

#56 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Nice review Silencer, Pretty much completely agree since I'm about at the same spot. Couldn't bring myself to destroy Megaton though, since I would be unable to finish any of the quests there.

Pretty damn awesome so far. Don't know if I could put it above Fable yet (but it's still really early in the game) but I can see myself playing it for some time.

I've been throwing points on lasers and my pistol still seems a bit weak, although I am incinerating people much more often.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#57 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

I'm playing some co-op Fable today, so I'll tell you how I think Fallout 3 compares then.

You really using the laser pistol? I've got my hunting rifle, two assault rifles, and various other weapons, and now I'm starting to win a lot easier. I only resort to the laser pistol if I don't want to waste ammo, or if I'm out of ammo. It's my back-up. :killingme:

Laser weapons become a lot more prolific and powerful in later-game though, which is why I'm still slowly slipping points into my laser weapons skill.

From what I have seen of Fable, this game easily outclasses it. Then again, I love Morrowind, and I compared this to Morrowind with guns, and I love Fallout 1 and 2. And I really didn't like the original Fable. So I might be a bit biased. ;)

Shinrei said:

#58 User is offline   Sparkimus 

• afternoon delight

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

Well I switch pretty often between the laser pistol and my rifles, depending on the weapon condition....and ammo. I seem to be coming across much more energy packs than bullets. Most downed enemies hold less ammo then I used to down em.

Which leads me to bring up my new strategy of using VATS much, much more...and running in close for a quick shotgun headshot before retreating to a safer distance.

QUOTE (Stalker @ Jan 23 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So last night I was walking downtown for some pizza at like 1am with some friends of mine,
and someone said, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whole pizza."

I said, "I bet I could eat 100 pizzas," and no one understood me. I was sad.

#59 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 02 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

I finally got this in the mail Friday, and have been playing a lot of the time since. This game is epic. I love the VATS system, it's kind of funny watching the enemies explode.
Sadly, this game won't get all the time it needs as I've got Gears 2 on Tuesday.

#60 User is offline   Dr Trouble 

• Pug Life

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:43 AM

It's better then Fable 2.

Anywho, I just had the most intense fight. I got jumped by 5 Talon Company mercenaries, s naturally I shit myself and try to run. But there is a guy behind me. So I look in my inventory, Fuck, no stimpacks.

So this can only end one of two ways, I get super lucky and kill them all. Or the guy with the shotgun sneaks up behind me while I'm taking out his buddies and blows my head off.

So I decide to get lucky fast.

I run into the nearest building while being blasted at and run round back effectively flanking the shotgun wielder. I come up behind him and trade bullets with his head making a delicious fruit salad (Cannibal perk ftw!). And then I just rush his buddies. Now at this point I have 6 shotguns shells left, for 5 people. So I had to make every shot a head shot.

The first two are standing close together so I take them out fairly easy using VATS. But then all my AP is wasted so I have to bail behind a car, all the while my health is rapidly depleting from multiple gunshot wounds.

And Then the car explodes so My left arm and right leg are crippled. No more running. 4 shells left. I take out the two more who were stupid enough to try to flank me together. And then I rush the boss. By this time I have no health so one shot would kill me. And I go for his head. And miss! Out of all the shots! So thus ending my remaining AP I go into free aim and just as he's bring his gun to aim I blow his head off in what can only be explained as sheer luck.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users