• You cannot reply to this topic

spam/spoiler moderators needed! sign up here

#1 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:35 PM

Alright, here's the deal:

In an effort to improve the quality of discussion in certain parts of the forum and provide better spoiler protection, we're looking for more moderators for the book forums and the other fantasy forum at this point.

These moderators would concentrate on spam and spoilers and would be able to edit and delete posts, move threads to the appropriate forum, warn offenders (with this nifty warn function, it's cool), etc.

The idea is to try to keep the book threads on topic as well and the emphasis would be on gently reminding people, which is why I'm not suited to do it myself :)

I think it's pretty obvious when someone has just let something slip or gets sidetracked when responding to a thread, which is fine. I don't think it's a bad thing to start a new thread if someone has something interesting to say about a topic unrelated to the thread they're in, for example. Obvious spam that has nothing whatsoever to do with the forum, let alone the thread, needs to be mercilessly crushed of course.

So, if you're interested, post here and state your preferences, ie., you could be a moderator in all the book forums or just one or two.

Obviously, any blatant abuse of mod powerz will result in the loss of amusement among the other staff and unspecified consequences/repercussions.

Thanks in advance :)

ETA:

A list of people who've communicated their interest in one form or another to be one of these mods:

Cougar
Bubba
Aptorian
Dancer
Lisheo

also, these moderators could help with the spoiler tags that don't work correctly after having been moved from the old board. Wherever you see the spoiler tags with the spoiler text visible, you simply 'edit' - 'quick edit' - 'complete edit' and it's fixed - three clicks. It would be a big help :D

#2 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Hey, Im up for it, I owe you guys a lot for this site! I don't mind which forum Im assigned to, really, but I'd prefer only one or two, if possible. :)

Ah, I see you already have my name up there. Yay. :)

This post has been edited by Lisheo: 21 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#3 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

Alright, you wanted one of the earlier forums right?

The older book forums aren't very active so I'm sure you can handle a couple of them. First come, first serve, which do you want? :)

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

If you can't find anyone else I'll do the novellas or something quiet that won't take long. But put me last on the list, so only if there aren't enough others to cover them.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm usually all over the place, so I don't mind having the entire book section as an area of responsibility.

What about the Other Fantasy forum, will we be allowed/wanted in that section aswell? I've heard even more complaints about spoilers there than in any of the other book forums.

Also, this prohibition on moderator shenanigans, does this mean I wont get to reduce Broods post count and get the flawless victoly? :)

#6 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:49 PM

I will take the first three books if you want Mal.

Edit: if you want to give the earlier ones Ish, just move me up the lines.

This post has been edited by Bubba: 21 October 2008 - 03:51 PM

#7 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

Aptorian, on Oct 21 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

I'm usually all over the place, so I don't mind having the entire book section as an area of responsibility.

What about the Other Fantasy forum, will we be allowed/wanted in that section aswell? I've heard even more complaints about spoilers there than in any of the other book forums.

Also, this prohibition on moderator shenanigans, does this mean I wont get to reduce Broods post count and get the flawless victoly? :)

Bubba, on Oct 21 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

I will take the first three books if you want Mal.

Edit: if you want to give the earlier ones Ish, just move me up the lines.

done and done. mod powerz coming your way. And thanks :)

#8 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

Apt, it appears to be open season on shenannigans after rodeo added about 6000 to his post count at random, so go for it :)
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Okay, I'll get right on it...

... wait a minute, damn you brood! You wont get me that easily :)

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

#10 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Could I possibly get DG and Hoc? :)

EDIT: Hmmm, change of mind, as we already gots someone for DG, could I take Hoc and RG instead?

This post has been edited by Lisheo: 21 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#11 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:50 PM

sure, if you want more responsibility in future just let me know :)

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Malaclypse, on Oct 21 2008, 06:50 PM, said:

sure, if you want more responsibility in future just let me know :)

Do we get an e-mail or something detailing the possibilities and the use of our new powers?

#13 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Mal :) If you ever need me to shoulder any more responsibility, Ill be happy to help.
- China Mieville

#14 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

hmm, ok how about I just list them here:

Can edit others posts/polls? Yes
Can edit others topic titles? Yes
Can delete others posts? Yes
Can delete others topics/polls? Yes

Can close open topics? Yes
Can move topics? Yes
Can pin topics? Yes
Can unpin topics? Yes
Can split / merge topics? Yes

Advanced Settings
Can warn other users?
Note, if you enable this moderators will have warn permissions on any users, regardless of forum
Yes

don't get carried away with the warn thing, but it is a quick and easy way to send a gentle reminder and explain what's at issue :)

edit: cross-posted with Lisheo...

no, thank YOU :) I was just thinking you may find that you don't have much to do with those two forums. Whatever you're comfortable with :D

#15 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

Well if you want you can slap me down for some other forums. Ive got no issue moderating a few more, thinking on it. :)
- China Mieville

#16 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

I am interested in this.
I posted my interest somewhere or other.
I'd to do any book place, although I'd prefer MoI, and could do another one, if needed. TTH preffered, because I REALLY like that book :).
Or if someone else does one of them id be happy to do another book, or area.

This post has been edited by Grief: 21 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#17 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

Well, to be very honest and forth coming, I would really really really like to be a mod, however, my minute knowledge of the books and other fantasy forums would not be very helpful, if however now or in the future, you need someone to help with the games, and or writing and or phoenix inn forums, I would like to be considered. Alot of if's, but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to help the site. Just in case, you know. Let me know if you need anything.
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!

#18 User is offline   Wry 

• High Fist
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:41 PM

Good i'm liking the team you've got there.

As i said in the other thread i'll help out if you guys need, and i've no preference on what forums, so if you've space to fill i can do it.
“Arm yourself, Watson, there is an evil hand afoot ahead"

#19 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:46 PM

Grief, on Oct 21 2008, 06:22 PM, said:

I am interested in this.
I posted my interest somewhere or other.
I'd to do any book place, although I'd prefer MoI, and could do another one, if needed. TTH preffered, because I REALLY like that book :).
Or if someone else does one of them id be happy to do another book, or area.

Toll it is then :)

Bent, on Oct 21 2008, 06:29 PM, said:

Well, to be very honest and forth coming, I would really really really like to be a mod, however, my minute knowledge of the books and other fantasy forums would not be very helpful, if however now or in the future, you need someone to help with the games, and or writing and or phoenix inn forums, I would like to be considered. Alot of if's, but I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to help the site. Just in case, you know. Let me know if you need anything.

Well, strictly speaking, you wouldn't be a moderator, ie., your user group wouldn't change - you'd just have mod-like powerz in a certain forum(s) and be listed as a forum leader. And, in this case, we're really only looking for people in the book forums and 'Other Fantasy' for the reasons outlined above. Until and unless problems appear/escalate in any of the other forums, I think we're doing well enough. Thanks for your interest though :D

#20 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

Again thinking on it, you might as well put me down for all the forums except the B&B and Other Fantasy, I've enough spare time lol, and I do need something to do :)
- China Mieville

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users