What's messing with your groove?

#28641 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2022 - 10:54 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 14 May 2022 - 08:56 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 May 2022 - 06:57 PM, said:

Why baby formula though?

Abbotts (the largest formula provider) plants are a disaster. Old, dirty equipment, trouble with the fda. They had to shut down and recall since apparently they were putting out shit and didnt fix a bunch of stuff they were supposed to.

So in other words - capitalism as the GOP and moneyed classes would have it?

Those people don't just want to go back to the 1950s, they want to go back to the 1750s.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28642 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 15 May 2022 - 10:42 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 May 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

@SM

https://www.bbc.com/...litics-61432498

475,000? That's not much for a nation of ... 60 million? I'm sure we have far more, especially if you add in state as well as federal public service.

----------------------------------

Remo is gone, too. :(

https://www.news.com...64acc924501ee15

That's the number for the UK National Civil Service i.e. anything administered directly by central government. The Local Authorities employ about double that iirc. It also doesn't include NHS staff. I expect the axe will fall on them too, in time. As is usually the case, the Civil Service is the canary in the mine for this kind of policy. This is all to pay for some tax cuts before the next election, and to recoup the money that the government paid out to its rich friends - no questions asked and, in a number of cases, no goods or services actually supplied - during the pandemic. I doubt the proposed savings will actually be realised fully, even after they've dumped all of those people. Because I expect the deficit in numbers for an actually functioning Public Sector will have to be made up with staff on temporary contracts and agency people. I fully expect that the Tories won't be in power after the next General Election, so they're indulging their fetish for hollowing out and breaking the machinery of government, yet again. It's someone else's problem after that.

He'll always be Ivan 'Gus' Grissom to me.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 15 May 2022 - 10:48 AM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#28643 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 May 2022 - 12:11 PM

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me. Fingers crossed for you.

It's not nice, but it's morbidly interesting to note the conservatives - however they call themselves - all act with the same rampant self-interest in both our countries. And using pretty much the same methods.
I guess it could be worse - in other countries around the world, they don't need to offer even the token attempts at subtlety our rich twats do. Democracy, yay. :p

------------------------

In some more depressing news, albeit on a much smaller scale, Andrew Symonds (Australian cricketer, one of the few born in Pomgolia) died in a car crash just outside Townsville. zon a road I travelled many times when I lived there. Puzzlingly, that stretch of the road in question is quite an easy, straight bit. There's a little dip toward a narrow (but still 2 lane) bridge, but that's it.

https://www.news.com...b1123a2393121af

RIP Roy. :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 15 May 2022 - 12:11 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28644 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 15 May 2022 - 09:25 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 15 May 2022 - 12:11 PM, said:

It's not nice, but it's morbidly interesting to note the conservatives - however they call themselves - all act with the same rampant self-interest in both our countries. And using pretty much the same methods.
I guess it could be worse - in other countries around the world, they don't need to offer even the token attempts at subtlety our rich twats do. Democracy, yay. :p

Just to add the chef's kiss to this one:

The Civil Service heads of the various departments and agencies were totally blindsided on this. Normally staff get a heads up before, or at the same time as, these kinds of polices are announced; there are emails prepared that are timed to release to staff when the policy is officially announced, as a small courtesy to those who are affected. This time the respective heads of departments appear to have found out about it when the Daily Mail - a "newspaper" that never saw a jackboot it didn't want to lick - started trumpeting it from the rafters. A fact which speaks volumes about how little regard the Tories have for those working in government.

From what I gather, there are some absolutely livid Senior Civil Servants right now.

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#28645 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 May 2022 - 05:25 AM

What's even more depressing, if there was a snap election tomorrow, they would probably still pull a majority

#28646 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 May 2022 - 09:02 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 15 May 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

The Civil Service heads of the various departments and agencies were totally blindsided on this. Normally staff get a heads up before, or at the same time as, these kinds of polices are announced; there are emails prepared that are timed to release to staff when the policy is officially announced, as a small courtesy to those who are affected. This time the respective heads of departments appear to have found out about it when the Daily Mail - a "newspaper" that never saw a jackboot it didn't want to lick - started trumpeting it from the rafters. A fact which speaks volumes about how little regard the Tories have for those working in government.

From what I gather, there are some absolutely livid Senior Civil Servants right now.

The main government agency we work with has been hollowed out by all their experienced people reading the writing on the wall to ditch the toxic atmosphere and leave the civil service entirely. The lack of experienced knowledgeable people left is terrifying. The ones left are doing their best but they are working with such inexperienced people and bonkers policy they can't possibly keep on top of it all. And that's the only agency I know about - I can only assume the same is happening everywhere. The government can't possibly function for much longer - it must be held together by bluster and sticky tape and a few poor souls with a sense of moral duty just about keeping the show on the road.

I feel for you guys, I really do.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28647 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 May 2022 - 07:54 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 17 May 2022 - 09:02 PM, said:

View Poststone monkey, on 15 May 2022 - 09:25 PM, said:

The main government agency we work with has been hollowed out by all their experienced people reading the writing on the wall to ditch the toxic atmosphere and leave the civil service entirely. The lack of experienced knowledgeable people left is terrifying. The ones left are doing their best but they are working with such inexperienced people and bonkers policy they can't possibly keep on top of it all. And that's the only agency I know about - I can only assume the same is happening everywhere. The government can't possibly function for much longer - it must be held together by bluster and sticky tape and a few poor souls with a sense of moral duty just about keeping the show on the road.

I feel for you guys, I really do.

Wait, the tory government post-2010 has functioned at some stage? Gioer nar
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28648 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 18 May 2022 - 06:51 PM

The government and the Civil Service are two very different things; which is one of the reasons the Tories loathe the Civil Service so much.

#28649 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:34 AM

View Poststone monkey, on 18 May 2022 - 06:51 PM, said:

The government and the Civil Service are two very different things; which is one of the reasons the Tories loathe the Civil Service so much.

Oh, I know. I'm talking specifically about the government themselves.

My assumption is that the tories loathe the civil service as it's (to my layman's eyes) not something that profit can be extracted from?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28650 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 May 2022 - 06:59 AM

*in Boris voice*

Ugh, stuff, services, provided for the peasants, for free.

#28651 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 May 2022 - 08:15 AM

Vangelis died. "With Covid".

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuckshitpooparseholec**tcrapshitSHITSHITSHITSHIT!!!!! :cry: :sad: :veryangry:

#28652 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 May 2022 - 12:30 AM

Oh my, it's a winter wonderland outside! Normally I would post that in the happy thread, as we need the moisture, but this heavy snow is going to weigh down branches on leafed out trees and cause some damage. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad, fingers crossed. Snow on May 20 is rare, particularly with climate change. Some old school natives I've talked to recall incidences when it snowed in June, but that was decades ago.

#28653 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 May 2022 - 03:02 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 May 2022 - 12:30 AM, said:

Oh my, it's a winter wonderland outside! Normally I would post that in the happy thread, as we need the moisture, but this heavy snow is going to weigh down branches on leafed out trees and cause some damage. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad, fingers crossed. Snow on May 20 is rare, particularly with climate change. Some old school natives I've talked to recall incidences when it snowed in June, but that was decades ago.

Meanwhile... 'Historic heatwave poised to hit dozens of US states this weekend

Temperatures expected to be 20F to 30F above average for this time of year, breaking records and raising health fears.'

Historic heatwave poised to hit dozens of US states this weekend

... either way, more people staying in to spread the new subvariants....

Was going to go to outdoor events tomorrow and Sunday, but given the heat, I'm not sure---maybe if I wear my cooling scarf and bring my anti-sun umbrella....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 May 2022 - 03:02 AM

#28654 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 May 2022 - 06:56 AM

Isnt an anti-sun umbrella a parasol?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28655 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 May 2022 - 01:38 PM

View PostGorefest, on 21 May 2022 - 06:56 AM, said:

Isnt an anti-sun umbrella a parasol?

That's what I initially wrote, but I double-checked the definition before posting: 'A small light umbrella used as protection from the sun.'

parasol - Wiktionary

'a lightweight umbrella used as a sunshade'

Parasol Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

'a type of sunshade (= round frame covered in cloth on a stick)'

PARASOL | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

This is what I use:

'48 Inch UV Protection Umbrella - Automatic Open Fashion Stick Golf Umbrellas for Rain, Sun & Wind Protection - UPF 55+ XL Oversized Vented Double Canopy Effectively Block 99% of UVA UVB Light

[...]

Wind, Rain & Extreme Heat Are Simply No Match: These golfing umbrellas come equipped with a Patented Double Canopy Vented Mesh System; This unique design will keep you 15 degrees cooler and prevent heavy wind from twisting your umbrella into a pretzel'

Posted Image

Posted Image

... it also doubles as a walking stick (or self-defense tool, possibly... maybe not quite a sword or a spear, but shiny big stick).

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 May 2022 - 01:38 PM

#28656 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 May 2022 - 02:54 PM

... are you also a magical nanny?

#28657 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 May 2022 - 03:02 PM

Large anti-sun umbrella should definitely help (at least a bit) today:

'RealFeel 100°
RealFeel Shade 92°'

... though before I get to the grass there will be the issue of sun reflecting (and and heat radiating) up off the sidewalks etc.... wish it were easier to find anti-sun robes. Seems like a Westernized, scientifically optimized variation on Bedouin robes might be ideal (and reflective silver robes would look nice). Shouldn't be too difficult to alter the look enough to minimize concerns about cultural misappropriation (though it's true no matter what you do some people will always complain).

Leaning towards not going, but I might as well go outside for a bit of heat stress therapy. Wouldn't want to use the umbrella for that---anti-UV hoodie instead.... Cook myself a little.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 May 2022 - 03:05 PM

#28658 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 May 2022 - 05:49 PM

Now there's an air quality alert out as well (pretty common when it gets hot out in Philadelphia), so if I go I'll definitely want to wear my P100 mask, which in turn exacerbates the heat. Main concern isn't the heat (could be good for my health) but sweat inside my P100 mask developing bacteria etc.

OTOH P100 mask might help my body temperature approach heat shock therapy levels... Should aim for exposure to 113 °F to 212 °F apparently:

'Sauna use[...] short-term passive exposure to high temperatures, typically ranging from 45 °C to 100 °C (113 °F to 212 °F)[...] This exposure elicits mild hyperthermia, an increase in the body's core temperature that induces a thermoregulatory response involving neuroendocrine, cardiovascular, and cytoprotective mechanisms that participate in restoring homeostasis and conditioning the body for future stressors [...]

Compelling data from observational, interventional, and mechanistic studies support the assertions that sauna use extends healthspan, and multiple recent reviews have described the cardiovascular, neurological, and metabolic benefits associated with sauna use'

Sauna use as a lifestyle practice to extend healthspan - ScienceDirect

[Edit: body temperature itself shouldn't go beyond 104 °F apparently.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 21 May 2022 - 05:53 PM

#28659 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 May 2022 - 08:03 PM

If you are outside outside and not close to people, you don't need to be wearing a mask. You don't need to mask up in a park if there aren't people close. If you're at a concert or something, mask up and swap out when you're feeling grody in the first mask.

In general, for hot days outside, use a sun umbrella if sitting or standing still for a while, bring a hat, use sunscreen, wear shorts, breathable shirt, and bring plenty of water. This isn't something to over think too much if you don't have specific needs that aren't met by the above.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28660 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 May 2022 - 10:36 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 May 2022 - 08:03 PM, said:

If you are outside outside and not close to people, you don't need to be wearing a mask. You don't need to mask up in a park if there aren't people close. If you're at a concert or something, mask up and swap out when you're feeling grody in the first mask.

In general, for hot days outside, use a sun umbrella if sitting or standing still for a while, bring a hat, use sunscreen, wear shorts, breathable shirt, and bring plenty of water. This isn't something to over think too much if you don't have specific needs that aren't met by the above.

Yep, this is solid advice. I agree.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users