• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28481 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:40 AM

This one hits hard - just read Mark Lanegan has died. I lost track how many times I have listened to the album Whisky for the Holy Ghost. I'm destroyed this news.

#28482 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 February 2022 - 08:44 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 February 2022 - 01:25 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 February 2022 - 08:44 AM, said:

Wife has a stinking non covid head cold and gave it to me. I was doing so well until about 8pm yesterday and then it hit me like a fucking freight train. Ugh.

I currently have one of these, so I commiserate.

I sound like deep voice Peter from that one episode of Family Guy.

Also it looks like dad's bald spot is coming in... on me. Having had hair approximately down to my ass for the last 15 or so years I am now facing the prospect of either becoming a Bill Bailey or a Justin Foley. Decisions, decisions.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#28483 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 25 February 2022 - 09:45 AM

My boss still refuses to even entertain the idea that something in my work load needs to change. Or in his behaviour.

So... job hunting it is for me. He can try to find someone else to bully around and guilt trip. I just need to stay here until I find something else.

Now, finding something else is a whole different problem these days *sigh*
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#28484 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:12 PM

View PostMentalist, on 25 February 2022 - 03:22 AM, said:

TV's been on whole day, following the news on the Russo-Ukrainian War

Night in Kyiv now, so I'm having a lie-down, half asleep.

Feeling drained. And God knows how long this will last.

IT's incredibly awful to watch
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28485 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 February 2022 - 01:48 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 February 2022 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 24 February 2022 - 05:30 PM, said:

I think I hate my new job. There hasn't been a day in weeks were I haven't had this awful feeling when looking at my inbox, my calendar or my teams roster.

Everything is just a little fucked, not enough ressources, long waits for new equipment that's needed yesterday, hands tied behind your back because decisions need to be improved, getting chewed out for not following the mandates from above even though they're impossible.

Never follow your own ambitions people. Better to enjoy the freedom of obscurity and mediocrity.

I'm a few weeks ahead of you on the promotion that you knew was going to give you big problems. I hated the first 3 months but have got more at peace with it since Christmas. This may not help you and I am struggling with it but I found it helps if I accept the shit exists and is the environment I have to work in and can't change. So of you approach it like all of that is a given and it's not your responsibility because the organisation created it and is bigger than you will ever be, and just try to keep going within reason, then it kind of helps. Like it's a game with some parameters you can't adjust, so you stop letting them get to you. The more tired and overworked I am the less I can turn it off but if I have a word with myself I'm getting better at the "fuck it" approach.

This is more or less the approach I know I need to take but it just sucks. Because I know we could do more and create better morale by just doing a few changes but nope. It feels like defeat to have to just accept the limitations and rules of the position. Like smothering the last remnants of my childhood innocence.

But that of course also is a part of the transition from employee to leader. Reading about it is one thing. Going through it is another.

#28486 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 26 February 2022 - 03:56 AM

Hey, remember that thing you finished designing for us a month ago? Well, it's 7pm on a Friday night and we'll be using this in a couple hours, can you make these changes to it?

Yeah, sure, I'll get right on it Monday. I really can't comprehend some people's lack of planning.

#28487 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 February 2022 - 04:24 AM

Ah, lastminutepanic.com, my workplace is a frequent visitor.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 February 2022 - 05:30 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28488 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 26 February 2022 - 09:38 AM

I've been up all night watching the news. I'm afraid Ukraine won't hold out another night, no matter how good Zelensky is at making himself a figure head of resistance (I suddenly respect that dude SO MUCH) or how much I wish otherwise. If they do, I don't want to imagine the cost to people's lives. And it feels like the world is just watching, intent to let Ukraine sink, and all the institutions I have believed in based on morals have none.

There's an awful lot of radio silence comming from everyone who came crawling out of the bushes after forgetting me for sometimes years to ask for details about how my family is doing and to try to reason that an occupied Ukraine with a Russian government would appease all sides, because NATO evil, hurrdurr. But Ukraine does not want to be a buffer for Russia! It's a sovereign country, it has demonstrated the will to remain a sovereign country and I really hope anyone who thinks differently chokes. Get fucked.

Not talking about those on here who I've exchanged messages with the past two days.I've just had it with people in RL who suddenly remembered I exist. Like hearing that my immediate family is ok suddenly makes it ok to push politics down my throat.

Ugh, going to try to catch an hour or two of sleep.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#28489 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 February 2022 - 04:23 AM

It's not of Ukraine magnitude, but it's been raining A LOT here for the past few days and there's flooding going on.
Reminding me uncomfortably of when I was living in Ipswich in 2011 and Townsville in 2019. Maybe I'm just a flood magnet?

https://www.betootaa...-it-never-ends/

(parody news site, but the figures are actually correct)

EDIT: We are fine where we are, elevated land in the mid-northern suburbs.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 February 2022 - 04:36 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28490 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:52 AM

Minging motherfuck of a headcold had me off work yesterday. It still hurts all through the back of my upper ribs when I cough. At least mentally I'm a bit more coherent so gonna try working today and just see if I can come off of the phones or something.

Tsun - we had three storms hit through last week and, well, Rotherham no longer had a railway, it had a canal.

#28491 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:43 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 March 2022 - 08:52 AM, said:

Minging motherfuck of a headcold had me off work yesterday. It still hurts all through the back of my upper ribs when I cough. At least mentally I'm a bit more coherent so gonna try working today and just see if I can come off of the phones or something.

Tsun - we had three storms hit through last week and, well, Rotherham no longer had a railway, it had a canal.

You referring to this? Damn. :(

https://www.examiner...rwater-23163623

#28492 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:55 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 01 March 2022 - 10:43 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 01 March 2022 - 08:52 AM, said:

You referring to this? Damn. :(

https://www.examiner...rwater-23163623

Yeah it was awful. Three storms in a week. Thankfully we've been OK (we're on a hill) but there's been flooding all oert oyle, some areas are STILL draining out from it now. I heard that the Elsecar Heritage Centre nearby flooded as well as the reservoir nearby burst banks.

#28493 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:33 PM

This link is like a one-stop shop compiling reputable ways to donate re: Ukraine -- https://standforukraine.com/

Multilingual (at least as a hub) and you can filter by type of aid, e.g. if you prefer humanitarian vs. military assistance.

This post has been edited by worry: 02 March 2022 - 10:33 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28494 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 March 2022 - 08:43 AM

The realisation that I could roll my face on a keyboard for two years, do a kickstarter for whatever tripe oozes out and get millions for it.

Why am I drudging away at what I do when I could literally fart out some syllables instead?

#28495 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:29 AM

Change your name to Sando Bandernern and go for it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28496 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:53 PM

View Postworry, on 03 March 2022 - 10:29 AM, said:

Change your name to Sando Bandernern and go for it.

Excellent, now get on my horse.

#28497 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 March 2022 - 03:02 PM

Getting reports Shane Warne has died in Thailand at 52 of a "suspected heart attack". WTF?

#28498 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:16 PM

Oh no! Not Shane Warne!

Who's Shane Warne?

#28499 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 March 2022 - 04:18 PM

View PostAptorian, on 04 March 2022 - 04:16 PM, said:

Oh no! Not Shane Warne!

Who's Shane Warne?

That's not very cricket Apt.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28500 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 March 2022 - 11:07 PM

Sorry, I guess since he's not a soccerer or a curler I guess you Euros wouldn't know him.

Here's a sample of his best work.

708 wickets in 145 Test matches at an average of 25.41 runs per wicket. This is considered very, very good btw.

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Shane_Warne

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 March 2022 - 11:18 PM

Share this topic:

• 1527 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users