• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28521 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 March 2022 - 12:18 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 March 2022 - 11:54 PM, said:

View PostCause, on 16 March 2022 - 02:18 AM, said:

Why is in South Africa if I order a coke I get a coke. A Pepsi I get Pepsi and a sprite a sprite.

In the USA if I order sprite I get 7up, if I order 7up I get Sierra Mist and if I order Sierra Mist I get sprite. They don’t even ask if they can substitute.

Coca-cola and Pepsi make deals with restaurants all over the country to be the exclusive sodas. So that means a bunch of the substitution happening is because the restaurant is supplied by only one or the other.

My fave thing to do is when I ask for a Coke and they say "Is Pepsi alright?" I audibly sigh, and then go "No, I'll have ginger ale please."

It's made more than a few servers laugh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28522 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 March 2022 - 01:43 PM

Mindboggling. Surely Pepsi would be an upgrade. Pepsi Max over Coke zero any day.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 17 March 2022 - 01:43 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#28523 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 March 2022 - 02:36 PM

View PostGorefest, on 17 March 2022 - 01:43 PM, said:

Mindboggling. Surely Pepsi would be an upgrade. Pepsi Max over Coke zero any day.

To be fair, I rarely drink Coke anyways (I really AM a ginger ale guy)...but Coke at least tries to taste like something...while Pepsi is a thinly disguised glass of granulated sugar painted brown. My teeth hurt just thinking about what Pepsi taste like.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28524 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 March 2022 - 02:42 PM

People who pick Pepsi over Coca Cola is one of the biggest threats to the planet in the 21st century.

#28525 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2022 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 17 March 2022 - 01:43 PM, said:

To be fair, I rarely drink Coke anyways (I really AM a ginger ale guy)...but Coke at least tries to taste like something...while Pepsi is a thinly disguised glass of granulated sugar painted brown. My teeth hurt just thinking about what Pepsi taste like.

Reformulated Coke Zero is better than the original. Just an FYI. I find it tastes far better now.

Ain't nobody got nothing on Cherry Coke Zero that. That stuff is the best.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#28526 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:29 PM

First time I drank soda I spat it out. It's like acid. Not worth it if it's not even psychoactive (beyond placebo).... Granted, rum and coke isn't terrible, but I'd still prefer rum and unsweetened tart cherry with Ceylon cinnamon (the more common cassia cinnamon has coumarin, which can stress your liver (and possibly cause cancer)), nutmeg, and ginger.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 March 2022 - 04:32 PM

#28527 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:40 PM

I was wrong, diet soda does appear to be psychoactive (or at least substantially alter brain function) beyond placebo, at least if you also eat carbohydrates too soon before/after consuming it:

'Here's the really disturbing part of the study: Using sensitive brain scans, the researchers found that eating carbs and sucralose together changed the part of the brain that controls our metabolism in what appeared to be lasting ways.

"The regulator in the brain that controls how nutrients are being metabolized was changed, not only when the subjects are consuming the drink, but when they were just having another sweet thing or a salty and a savory thing," [...]

[...] the brain was being trained to misinterpret sweetness.

[...] "It implies that it may not only be the sugar or the carbohydrate during the beverage that is being mishandled, but that carbohydrates they were consuming in other meals in the day that is also being mishandled."

The results happened so quickly -- and so dramatically -- that one arm of the study testing adolescents was stopped for ethical reasons.'

Diet soda by itself may not cause weight gain, study says, but combining with carbs can - CNN

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 17 March 2022 - 04:41 PM

#28528 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 March 2022 - 05:20 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 17 March 2022 - 04:40 PM, said:

I was wrong, diet soda does appear to be psychoactive (or at least substantially alter brain function) beyond placebo, at least if you also eat carbohydrates too soon before/after consuming it:

'Here's the really disturbing part of the study: Using sensitive brain scans, the researchers found that eating carbs and sucralose together changed the part of the brain that controls our metabolism in what appeared to be lasting ways.

"The regulator in the brain that controls how nutrients are being metabolized was changed, not only when the subjects are consuming the drink, but when they were just having another sweet thing or a salty and a savory thing," [...]

[...] "It implies that it may not only be the sugar or the carbohydrate during the beverage that is being mishandled, but that carbohydrates they were consuming in other meals in the day that is also being mishandled."

The results happened so quickly -- and so dramatically -- that one arm of the study testing adolescents was stopped for ethical reasons.'

Diet soda by itself may not cause weight gain, study says, but combining with carbs can - CNN

Every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you the party pooper, the party pooper.

#28529 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 March 2022 - 05:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

Every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you the party pooper, the party pooper.

I think it was actually at someone's birthday party that I first tasted soda---and spat it out.

So it was more like projectile vomit.

Of acid.

That damaged their brains, made them obese, gave them diabetes, and may (have) ultimately kill(ed) them.

Especially because they were also eating pizza with it. Don't get me started on pizza....

#28530 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 March 2022 - 06:34 PM

obligatory.

Posted Image

#28531 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

It's all true...the classic tale of wanting a Pepsi...

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28532 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 17 March 2022 - 11:04 PM

Full sugar Coca Cola or nothing. I think I drink at most 10 cans a year and I ain't compromising. It's delicious. I'll happily pay the sugar tax.

My annual intake may be creeping up actually as my kid is partial to McDonalds and sometimes you're out and about with a little'un and you just need them fed and happy. Nutritionally void meals all round, please Ronald. On the McDonalds electronic ordering thingy you have to scroll down a long way to find full sugar coke now. Who are they trying to kid about being healthy?!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28533 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 March 2022 - 01:34 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 17 March 2022 - 11:04 PM, said:

Full sugar Coca Cola or nothing. I think I drink at most 10 cans a year and I ain't compromising. It's delicious. I'll happily pay the sugar tax.

That used to be my attitude towards coke... but the other kind. (More precisely: no more than once every four weeks.)

And no sugar added, preferably....

#28534 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 March 2022 - 01:58 AM

Went to check the local weather forecast for the upcoming week. Accuweather displays at the top of the page: 'EARLY OUTLOOK: Major severe weather threat along with possible blizzard developing for next week. Get the deta...' Groan, weather keeps yo-yoing between spring and winter....

Then I glance down the page and see none of the predicted lows are below freezing.

Clicked on the 'early outlook' link and... it's for a completely different part of the country.

The clickbait got me. Might be time to switch to a different weather site.

[Edit: actually it may eventually affect this area... but a blizzard seems very unlikely. Rain maybe.]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 March 2022 - 04:25 AM

#28535 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 March 2022 - 03:17 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 March 2022 - 05:20 PM, said:

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#28536 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 March 2022 - 10:37 AM

Why is it that the only ways that work to get babies to sleep are all the ways the experts say are not how you should do it? Like my twins find it hard to sleep on their backs in a Moses basket but are happy to sleep on me or draped over one of their crescent feeding cushions or in a car seat or pram... And everything we read goes "don't do that!"

It's almost cruel.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28537 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 March 2022 - 11:12 PM

Acid reflux has been bothering me recently, making my throat crackle when I hold a note. Even though I take Pepcid AC the recommended 10 minutes before eating.

Tums do work, but I don't want to take them too often because even the sugar-free versions still have artificial sweetener. Haven't found any unsweetened antacids.

Had already stopped drinking tart cherry except in the morning because it was giving me acid reflux.

Going to try some other dietary changes:
- Most nuts are acidic, but almonds are slightly alkaline; from now on most of my nuts will be almonds
- pumpkin seeds are highly alkaline, so I'll start eating them with every meal
- cauliflower is alkaline, so I'll add riced cauliflower to everything too
- going to try having a glass of water before I start drinking coffee (not sure if this will be more effective than just watering down my coffee?)
- may also try to put off coffee until after Pepcid AC + 10 minute wait
- 2 cups licorice tea / day
- put the apple cider vinegar in water instead of directly on food
- more powdered ginger, with every meal
- chamomile tea, adding powdered ginger

Not too keen on smaller meals or quitting coffee for tea or caffeine pills but may give those a try if this isn't enough.

#28538 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 March 2022 - 05:00 AM

Have you tried drinking a Coca Cola?

#28539 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 March 2022 - 03:48 PM

View PostAptorian, on 19 March 2022 - 05:00 AM, said:

Have you tried drinking a Coca Cola?

I think that's how I knew that it tasted like acid. Though I was a young child so it's difficult to remember. My father was into experimenting with acids, poisons, body disposal (especially in acid), and did have me sip some strange concoctions, but I don't think he gave me any acid to drink (so... no Coca-Cola).

#28540 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 19 March 2022 - 04:10 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 March 2022 - 03:48 PM, said:

...body disposal (especially in acid)....

🕵️‍♂️

Share this topic:

• 1527 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

14 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users