• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27901 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:35 AM

View Postparan falcon, on 07 July 2021 - 07:34 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 July 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

I feel this guy's frustration. The 4th was Sunday, so I'm fine with the weekend (hell I was okay if people started with the fireworks Thursday night). But fuck man, last night? Inconsiderate jerks were still at it in my vicinity. 4th of July is over assholes, time to shove the box of fireworks back into the crawl space.

[media ]snip[/media ]

"pretending to be a firework is also going to run afoul of our noise ordinances." ... heh, made me chuckle.

Lol. I am no more than an hour away from where that took place. We have all kinds here in Florida...

The loonies are going to extend the revelry with TBL holding on to Lord Stanley's Cup. So that guy is probably going back into "firecracker firecracker, bottle rocket, boooooom!" mode again.Posted Image

#27902 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:01 AM

That's a tough one, but ultimately I'm of the opinion that giving folks a chance to say goodbye is better than sparing them some sadness for a little bit that's gonna come soon anyway.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#27903 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 July 2021 - 04:32 AM

If it's a choice between killing them immediately to stop them from suffering or giving them lots of drugs to ease them into death through a haze of opioids (or maybe even better drugs than those---might even like LSD, etc.)... while their loved ones can still talk to them and stroke them through the haze... even if the process takes days, and the drugs kill them faster than the disease, it's still better than dying immediately. Personally I would almost always hold out for the hope of recovery, while still trying to give the cat as much comfort and care as possible (so far...). Then again, I'd suppose drugs can be expensive... I think the aversion to suffering in US culture is overrated, and veterinarians in particular go on about it because they charge exorbitant fees for immediate (and often if not always 'nonconsensual', from the pet's perspective) euthanasia.

But telling a child right before bed is probably not the best thing to do, as BK explained....

However a child probably should be given some time to say goodbye and have some final moments with the cat---which they'd otherwise regret having missed. Though it might be emotionally easier, either for the parent or the child, to simply tell the child the cat has died, especially if the child is young and the parent doesn't want to explain their decision to euthanize (or how they would feel about the child deciding to euthanize the parent...).

#27904 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

Frankly the ballkick result.

I've got a works meet up on Saturday evening and now it'll be just the screeching, baying hordes of ultranationalist breklets making the evening and getting home again an unpleasant prospect.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27905 User is online   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 July 2021 - 08:33 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 08 July 2021 - 04:32 AM, said:

If it's a choice between killing them immediately to stop them from suffering or giving them lots of drugs to ease them into death through a haze of opioids (or maybe even better drugs than those---might even like LSD, etc.)... while their loved ones can still talk to them and stroke them through the haze... even if the process takes days, and the drugs kill them faster than the disease, it's still better than dying immediately. Personally I would almost always hold out for the hope of recovery, while still trying to give the cat as much comfort and care as possible (so far...). Then again, I'd suppose drugs can be expensive... I think the aversion to suffering in US culture is overrated, and veterinarians in particular go on about it because they charge exorbitant fees for immediate (and often if not always 'nonconsensual', from the pet's perspective) euthanasia. But telling a child right before bed is probably not the best thing to do, as BK explained....However a child probably should be given some time to say goodbye and have some final moments with the cat---which they'd otherwise regret having missed. Though it might be emotionally easier, either for the parent or the child, to simply tell the child the cat has died, especially if the child is young and the parent doesn't want to explain their decision to euthanize (or how they would feel about the child deciding to euthanize the parent...).

I went off to Uni in Jan 1991 and when I came home at Easter, my parents had put down my 17 year old dog a couple of weeks prior. I know she was old and in pain and it was the kindest thing, but not saying goodbye and having a cuddle with her one last time ... well, I still feel it 30 years later. :crybaby:
I hasten to add they did the right thing, but I was a bit of a mess for a couple of days there.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 08 July 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

baying hordes of ultranationalist breklets

Now THIS is a good case for euthanasia. :p

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 08 July 2021 - 08:37 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27906 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:55 AM

It seems Tiste has corrected me as to the day of the kickball. Even so, I don't relish the havoc to come after. Gonna keep Shovel-kun close at hand, I think.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27907 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:26 PM

So, I'm back and riiight back to complaining. Having a situation at work :mellow: Short version:

Been working at a new job since November 2020, it's part time with the idea to make it full-time if/when stuff picks up again. We've got a client who likes my work and got wind of the fact that I'm willing to work full-time and is now offering me to switch and I know I could haggle a nice increase in my hourly rate if I were to agree. Problem: the prospects of this being a long-time opportunity are vague at best (we're developing a product for him that may or may not take off well) and also, my current boss has put money into teaching me skills he needs me to know and also also, I actually really love my current position (as much as I can love a job I'm working to be able to afford rent, anyway). It would be an easy no if not for the fact that I fucking need more money. Not "eating noodles for half the month"-kind of need, but the "I see expenses on the horizon which I'm going to need money for"-kind of need. Also, the prospects of my current job going full-time any time soon are equally vague as they depend just as much on my boss's vague idea of how something could work and they're more vague than the product the other dude is having us develop for him.

It's overall an awkward situation. On one hand, I want to be able to put more time into this dude's project just for the sake of getting it over with, my boss is frustrated because he wants me to work on other stuff but cannot afford to pay me for more time atm (and actually earns money from the time I spend on dude's project) and I get barely anything done because both are in my face with "when's x gonna be done?". More time to work on dude's stuff would solve both the overall time and my money issue BUT would piss off the guy I'm hoping to working for long-term aaaand it the opportunity is not reliable enough to give up a boring and tiresome af but reliable side-job I actually want to give up.

Aaaah :blink:

How does one word an "Thanks for the offer but I'd rather you keep paying my boss for my precious time instead of me directly"-mail politely?
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#27908 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:03 PM

View PostPuck, on 09 July 2021 - 06:26 PM, said:

So, I'm back and riiight back to complaining. Having a situation at work ...

How does one word an "Thanks for the offer but I'd rather you keep paying my boss for my precious time instead of me directly"-mail politely?

"Right now my pay structure means that as much as i would love to spend more time on your interesting project, I would not be paid for it and take a significant cut to the time i spend on other paying projects. Hopefully the situation will develop into something more effective for everyone. Please feel free to speak with my supervisor about it, you may help him find a workable solution for all of us."
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27909 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 09 July 2021 - 09:55 PM

Yeah what Abyss said. Good to see you again Puck. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27910 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 July 2021 - 10:08 PM

Supposed to be a nice night out with the lady, nice dinner just us and all that.

I've had the shits since mid day

#27911 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Ah shit, immodium didn't cut through it?

Abyss nailed the management speak for you Puck.

This post has been edited by Cyphon: 10 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#27912 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:58 AM

Figured it was just a something I ate running out the other side.
Nopes.
3rd toilet visit since I got up.

With 3/4 during the night

#27913 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 11 July 2021 - 06:56 AM

Mac - I hope you have nice soft toilet paper.

Puck - is there a way to go over to the client for a short term full time contact and come back to your current role? If you just out right tell your current boss you need more money but otherwise happy in the role. I have always found if my boss is actually a nice sensible person then honesty is the best policy. When they aren't then deceit is definitely best!

My professional conundrum is on pause. The kid is out of school as someone in his class got a positive test so we're back juggling work and home school. I ain't got time for professional conundrums.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27914 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 12 July 2021 - 02:32 PM

The news rolling out from SA, both official channels and from our family and people down there. It could easy head into civil war the way things are going.
And it's over the head of fucking Zuma, who literally caught red handed dipping into public funds time and time again, the bastard deserves to be rotting in prison for fuck sake

#27915 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 12 July 2021 - 03:59 PM

My wife developed a fever + chills + hot flashes + stuffy nose on Friday. We got her COVID tested immediately, but had to cancel on fun plans Friday evening, her Saturday trip to Man of La Mancha with friends, and my trip to Washington DC to be at a cousin's Hindu version of a bar mitzvah. She's negative for COVID and is now feeling better.

It was honestly difficult to stick with the cancellations on everything because we're both vaccinated and I wanted to go see my cousins quite badly. But it was the right choice and I am proud of her for speaking up + getting tested instead of hiding it from me or others.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27916 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 July 2021 - 04:13 PM

Glad she's okay and no covid though!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27917 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 July 2021 - 08:39 PM

The vile football fans spewing racist hatred because of a game lost. Disheartening to say the least.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27918 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear BK
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#27919 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:19 PM

That sucks BK. Sorry man.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27920 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 July 2021 - 09:41 PM

Took a day off to do some top quality mumming during the kids home school self isolation. Failed miserably. Why is so much of parenting about who is in control?!?! He whined so much I stuck the tv on after lunch and went and did some top quality gardening instead. Plants don't complain, they just live or die which makes it considerably easier to work out if you are doing it right.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users