• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#27921 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 July 2021 - 10:39 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 13 July 2021 - 09:41 PM, said:

Took a day off to do some top quality mumming during the kids home school self isolation. Failed miserably. Why is so much of parenting about who is in control?!?! He whined so much I stuck the tv on after lunch and went and did some top quality gardening instead. Plants don't complain, they just live or die which makes it considerably easier to work out if you are doing it right.

You've probably already read about this, but....

'Some Plants Do "Scream" When They're Cut -You Just Can't Hear It

[...] plants talk to one another through smell and even communicate with insects to maintain survival. [...] when stressed, certain plants produce an ultrasonic sound that is undetectable to the [unaided] human ear. Keep in mind that being stressed can be caused by drought, insects, and yes, by being cut. Certain organisms can detect these sounds up to several meters away and respond accordingly to protect themselves. Researchers say if humans could understand these sounds, we'd better understand the condition of plants.'

https://news.yahoo.c...-210745531.html

Would be interesting to have a hearing aid that lets you hear the 'screams' of plants....

Also:

'Do Trees Talk to Each Other?

[...] "All the trees here, and in every forest that is not too damaged, are connected to each other through underground fungal networks. Trees share water and nutrients through the networks, and also use them to communicate. They send distress signals about drought and disease, for example, or insect attacks, and other trees alter their behavior when they receive these messages."'

https://www.smithson...rees-180968084/

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 13 July 2021 - 10:40 PM

#27922 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:06 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 July 2021 - 10:39 PM, said:

Took a day off to do some top quality mumming during the kids home school self isolation. Failed miserably. Why is so much of parenting about who is in control?!?! He whined so much I stuck the tv on after lunch and went and did some top quality gardening instead. Plants don't complain, they just live or die which makes it considerably easier to work out if you are doing it right.

[...] plants talk to one another through smell and even communicate with insects to maintain survival. [...] when stressed, certain plants produce an ultrasonic sound that is undetectable to the [unaided] human ear. Keep in mind that being stressed can be caused by drought, insects, and yes, by being cut. Certain organisms can detect these sounds up to several meters away and respond accordingly to protect themselves. Researchers say if humans could understand these sounds, we'd better understand the condition of plants.'

Would be interesting to have a hearing aid that lets you hear the 'screams' of plants....

Also:

[...] "All the trees here, and in every forest that is not too damaged, are connected to each other through underground fungal networks. Trees share water and nutrients through the networks, and also use them to communicate. They send distress signals about drought and disease, for example, or insect attacks, and other trees alter their behavior when they receive these messages."'

What I'm getting from this post is that vegetarians are evil and meat is okay?

#27923 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:52 AM

View PostAptorian, on 14 July 2021 - 03:06 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 July 2021 - 10:39 PM, said:

Also:

What I'm getting from this post is that vegetarians are evil and meat is okay?

Means vegans must become fructarians. If they want to avoid 'nonconsensual' consumption, they have to stick to food that 'intends' to be eaten....

Lab-grown meat is also an option. But how is that fundamentally different from training animals to earnestly want to be eaten?... Shouldn't vegans be okay with eating dogs that are willing to do anything for their human masters? They're supposed to be delicious. 'Fragrant meat.' If eating pigs is legal, eating dogs should be legal. (I love cats, but I have eaten cat---lion on a stick. When I told my cat about it afterwards she gave me a nice chomp. I would have liked to eat a part of her after she died. Why not at least eat cats and dogs that have died of natural causes, or been euthanized? Vegans should love feasting on carrion. What's dead shall never feel pain or be exploited.)

#27924 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:54 PM

The point of lab grown meat is that it's just a bunch of proteins grown to resemble some kind of body part, that resembles the texture and taste of something delicious. It's never sentient... unless you're into that kind of thing I guess? I'm all for synthetic meat sludge personally.

Now back to vegetarians. Technically, isn't eating fruit and other plant sprouts the same as eating an egg then. Though I guess many plants want you to eat their fruits and seeds, so you'll poop their clones all over the place afterwards.

#27925 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:58 PM

View PostAptorian, on 14 July 2021 - 12:54 PM, said:

The point of lab grown meat is that it's just a bunch of proteins grown to resemble some kind of body part, that resembles the texture and taste of something delicious. It's never sentient... unless you're into that kind of thing I guess? I'm all for synthetic meat sludge personally.

If they can make meat look like meat and taste like meat that is entirely synthetic (which I think is on the way) I will eat the hell out of it and swear off real meat forever.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27926 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:33 PM

Same here. I've tried to switc to a vegatarian diet but it makes me miserable.

Meat creatures are just too delicious for their own good. I mean it really is the cows and pigs fault that we¨re ruining our planet with cow farts and deforestation. They're the ones who are the real villains

Bring on the cloned stuff.

#27927 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

We do some veggie meals each week, but yeah I'm still a meat eater too. I could not go full veggie I don't think.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27928 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:18 PM

We're back into the season of camp fire smell permeating the air and smoke haze in the area because of fires burning in state and to the west. Not as bad as last year (yet), but there is an acceptance of this becoming a normal aspect of the summer season, which is upsetting.

#27929 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 July 2021 - 03:37 PM, said:

We do some veggie meals each week, but yeah I'm still a meat eater too. I could not go full veggie I don't think.

I grew up veggie as my mum is one and I like a lot of the stuff that's available, but I love meat so much. I'm on the same page as you I would happily eat a viable alternative if it came along. I don't mind the veggie alternatives out there now but they are not a good enough replacement.

On a similar vein for health reasons I am currently aiming to drink much more water and less of everything else (in fairness I don't drink much alcohol and almost no soda/fruit squash but I'm majorly hooked on coffee). I have been peeing all. Freaking. Day.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27930 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 July 2021 - 03:37 PM, said:

I have a small but respectable repertoire of veggie meals that everyone in the family will eat. I am on a quest to add in some vegan ones but I am failing miserably. I have recipes I like but I can't get everyone else to run with them. My one rule is no meat or dairy substitutes because I don't really see the point. And they are minging.

I was vegetarian from the age of about 14 to 27. I was fine with it and then almost on a whim I started eating meat again. My god it is too good. I could cope without white meat but not red meat. I wouldn't mind synthetic meat. Of course it needs to taste right. I'm not too fussy about what it looks like but texture would have to be good for red meat. Beef and lamb would lose a lot without that caveman satisfaction from the rending of flesh with your teeth. Or did my meat free years leave more of a mark than I can admit to myself?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27931 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

This is my favorite vegetarian meal by a wide stretch and it's easy to cook too. https://cooking.nyti...vocado-and-lime

Swiss chard shakshuka with no tomatoes and plenty of egg + cheese.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27932 User is offline   WithdrawalRoutine 

• Recruit

Posted 14 July 2021 - 10:03 PM

As a South African, the current probably-insurrection political faction chaos. Definitely messing with the groove we were cultivating just last week as vaccinations were ramping up significantly 😭

#27933 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:37 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 July 2021 - 10:06 PM, said:

Why do I want a hot 15 ounce ribeye with a nice buttery roll to sop up all the hot seasoned sprinkled blood before taking a relaxing food baby nap now?

Your body is reacting to all this vegetarian talk.

Never go full Vegan.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27934 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:50 AM

Dickhead kids.

Still got a scaffold up side of the house we're chasing to have down. On two occasions last night had kids either swinging off it or climbing up (probably to about 25 feet high in the latter example).

If I catch them up there again then I'm having coppers over. Mislike having to resort to something I don't trust but chances are one of these little twats will Darwin themselves otherwise.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#27935 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:17 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 15 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

Still got a scaffold up side of the house we're chasing to have down. On two occasions last night had kids either swinging off it or climbing up (probably to about 25 feet high in the latter example).

If I catch them up there again then I'm having coppers over. Mislike having to resort to something I don't trust but chances are one of these little twats will Darwin themselves otherwise.

Man ... I hope you have general liability insurance.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#27936 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:50 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 16 July 2021 - 07:17 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

The builder / scaffolder does, but it wouldn't be my responsibility if kids were to hurt themselves trespassing up it - I've notified police and their response when they came over was as long as we're on at builder chasing it regularly there's nowt else we can do as the homeowners.

#27937 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:05 PM

I'm really sad and angry.

A fluffle of rabbits have settled in on my street. Often times I would see them going about their rabbit business on my yard (and the neighbors' yards next and across from me). They had their own little rabbit shire. So much so that a cat from the neighborhood was stalking my yard looking out of curiosity. I chased him off, but he looked more like one of those wussy house cats who wouldn't know what to do if he happened to catch one of these rabbits.

Now to the sad and angry part. While leaving this morning, just past my neighbor to the west, one of the rabbits was smashed dead on the street from being run over. This is a residential neighborhood, so the speed limit is 25 mph. Some asshole must have been speeding down my street, not paying attention, or intentionally hit the rabbit. Unbelievable.

#27938 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

The builder / scaffolder does, but it wouldn't be my responsibility if kids were to hurt themselves trespassing up it - I've notified police and their response when they came over was as long as we're on at builder chasing it regularly there's nowt else we can do as the homeowners.

I know of two instances where scaffold left up and accessible was used for break in smash n grab.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27939 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:04 PM

Watching the aftermath (and some of the still ongoing) flooding nearby... My gosh... We were lucky af, the rains went right over our little valley, and the neighbouring towns were swimming and without electricity yesterday but the water's mostly gone back down to the river courses now, overall (though still high). It's armaggedon just a bit further west and south, with dams either on the edge of breaking or actually cracking.

This post has been edited by Puck: 16 July 2021 - 10:07 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#27940 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 July 2021 - 07:11 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 July 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 July 2021 - 07:50 AM, said:

Dickhead kids.

I know of two instances where scaffold left up and accessible was used for break in smash n grab.

That's another worry. We got woken up at 1:15am by kids banging on it, went outside and they'd gone but they'd been beating on the scaffold with a sheared off trolley handle. Had to get on phone to police twice in three days over this shit and I'm getting likely to smack these dickheads with the business end of my shovel at this rate.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users