Sshhhh, nobody tell him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27882 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:46 AM

Meh, take them all down to the local Marine recruitment centre.

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27883 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:39 PM

View PostMentalist, on 10 May 2021 - 03:48 PM, said:

Looks like Sony discontinued my favourite wired sport headphones.

shit, :(

Continuing the trend of "why are the nice things disappearing"

I have wide feet. Finding good runnners that fit is always a problem.

Apparently, New Balance is gonna be phasing out model 894, which are super-comfy for people like me. And, naturally, they're out of stock literally everywhere.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#27884 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:16 AM

My tinnitus is so loud this evening that I thought the fire alarm was going off.

#27885 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:13 PM

Uh guys? What's going on with MLB baseball? Umpires are checking pitchers for using "spider tack" and are examining them on the pitching mound, where pitchers are unbuckling their belts and opening their trousers so the umpire can see if they have anything hidden? Ummm, is the next step going to be the umpires taking on the role of "Dr. Jellyfinger"? - putting on the latex gloves and and asking the pitchers to bend over spread em?

Keep your pants on! MLB has time to get new rules under control but must act now.

*links is to www.washingtonpost.com

#27886 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:20 PM

Have to start reminding myself that the news will still be there a few days from now... possibly even already corrected. I might try doing a news fast for a few days: just a quick (less than 30 minutes) glance for anything urgent. (Easier when the stock market's not open, but I do have extensive email alerts set up for when it is....)

#27887 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:41 PM

WTF, subway schedules for minor station stops are no longer being listed... for weekends the only information is '15 minutes max' (if nothing goes wrong...). Seems to be messing up Google Maps too, since they no longer have my nearest station in their schedule list---though somehow they have the second-closest station in their schedule, even though its estimated times are also not listed on the official subway schedule.

Haven't found any indication they've stopped stopping at my stop....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 26 June 2021 - 09:42 PM

#27888 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:34 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 26 June 2021 - 09:41 PM, said:

Haven't found any indication they've stopped stopping at my stop....

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#27889 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:35 AM

It is not supposed to hit 40 Celsius (104f) in Canada. I'm on the third floor, and it's definitely hotter than that inside. No chance it cools down to anything reasonable overnight tonight either. Thankfully only one more day of this before it starts to cool off a bit.

Edit: I see Lytton broke the Canadian record again, 47.5C (118F). I'm sure few people there have AC, so that must be crazy.

This post has been edited by Gwynn ap Nudd: 29 June 2021 - 02:27 AM

#27890 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 29 June 2021 - 04:29 PM

36 here yesterday, the 'feels like' was 40.
Today a mere 35.
We needs a massive rainstorm complete with thunder, lightning, and possibly elementals.
And as usual, that's the forecast for Canada Day.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27891 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 July 2021 - 09:27 PM

Professional dilemma. About 5 years ago I was due on maternity leave and my boss quit and recommended me as replacement for her role. It would have been a big leap and I was like a beached whale at the time and had the whole baby thing and a year off to do so didn't apply. I had one colleague who I thought was a good alternative and she ended up being the sole applicant and has been really good in the role and a lovely boss since. Fast forward 5 years and we have worked well together but I'm frustrated constrained below her with no options of advancement but equally quite happy that she gets a lot of the shit and I have a supporting role with a better work life balance.

This week a new post was advertised internally in our business that is a big surprise and is above us both but off to one side in the hierarchy. It is really suitable for my boss and being objective I reckon I'd be the second best placed person to take the role if she didn't want it. The ideal scenario is that my boss applies and gets it and I hopefully get promoted into her current position. Second best scenario is that she doesn't apply, I do and I get it and she stays where she is. I don't especially want the new role, I want her role but I'd take the new role over staying where I am right now.

I'm friends with my boss(ish). I asked her out right and she said she will probably apply. So now my conundrum is - until she gets the new role, a replacement for her is not needed. So do I hedge my bets and wait and hope things play out in my favour or do I apply for a role that I don't really want and am blatantly not the best person for? I don't want to look like a chump applying for something out of my league when I actually want the post slightly below but also I don't want to look like I have no ambition after already not applying for the last big opportunity in the past.

I think I need to not overthink, apply for it, show what qualities I have and hope it all plays out as it should.... Just not looking forward to the process or gossip if I lose out when actually that was fine for me all along so long as the end game is ok.

Career!! Awful word.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#27892 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:09 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 02 July 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

Professional dilemma. About 5 years ago I was due on maternity leave and my boss quit and recommended me as replacement for her role. It would have been a big leap and I was like a beached whale at the time and had the whole baby thing and a year off to do so didn't apply. I had one colleague who I thought was a good alternative and she ended up being the sole applicant and has been really good in the role and a lovely boss since. Fast forward 5 years and we have worked well together but I'm frustrated constrained below her with no options of advancement but equally quite happy that she gets a lot of the shit and I have a supporting role with a better work life balance.

This week a new post was advertised internally in our business that is a big surprise and is above us both but off to one side in the hierarchy. It is really suitable for my boss and being objective I reckon I'd be the second best placed person to take the role if she didn't want it. The ideal scenario is that my boss applies and gets it and I hopefully get promoted into her current position. Second best scenario is that she doesn't apply, I do and I get it and she stays where she is. I don't especially want the new role, I want her role but I'd take the new role over staying where I am right now.

I'm friends with my boss(ish). I asked her out right and she said she will probably apply. So now my conundrum is - until she gets the new role, a replacement for her is not needed. So do I hedge my bets and wait and hope things play out in my favour or do I apply for a role that I don't really want and am blatantly not the best person for? I don't want to look like a chump applying for something out of my league when I actually want the post slightly below but also I don't want to look like I have no ambition after already not applying for the last big opportunity in the past.

I think I need to not overthink, apply for it, show what qualities I have and hope it all plays out as it should.... Just not looking forward to the process or gossip if I lose out when actually that was fine for me all along so long as the end game is ok.

Career!! Awful word.

My thoughts: you both should apply for it and interview etc. They will pick the person they like. If they pick you, great. If they pick her, you can then slide into the vacated position.

Neither of you lose by applying and trying for it.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#27893 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 02 July 2021 - 09:27 PM, said:

Career!! Awful word.

Definitely apply - all bases are then covered. Hopefully you get the outcome you want, but if they offer the role to you then you still get a change from your current role, even if not technically the one you woudl prefer. I take it that it wouldn't preclude you from applying for your boss's current position should it become available later?

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#27894 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 03 July 2021 - 08:59 PM

Seeing my parents sad. Yesterday we had to said goodbye to their Boxer Ziva of almost 10 years old. She approved my wife during my wife's first visit at my parents. She was our maid of honor and ring bearer at our wedding in 2015 and now she's gone. The vet that has treated her most of her life (Ziva was her pet project since they both shared a bad food intolerance for certain ingredients) helped her over to the bridge. She was shocked when Ziva walked into her practice (in the last years she had changed specialty and hadn't seen Ziva in a while) and told my parents that they did the right thing, surgery wasn't an option, the cancer just went too fast.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#27895 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

Just saw vision of Lytton, BC and all I could think about was the summer of 19/20 here. :(

#27896 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2021 - 02:43 PM

Missed walking through this by an hour:

'white supremacists marched in front of Philadelphia City Hall Saturday night, drawing jeers from onlookers, as well as small scuffles.

The group of dozens of men wore white face coverings, k[[kk]h]akis, blue shirts and tan hats and waved flags with insignias appearing to belong to the Patriot Front organization.

[...] Some could be seen holding shields as watchers-on shouted at them, demanding they leave Philadelphia. [Bullet-proof shields? Oh well. The one time I might not mind some people getting shot by City Hall....]

A few people could be seen engaging in minor pushing and shoving with members of the group. An NBC10 [TV news] photographer had his cellphone taken from him by members of the group [...]

Patriot Front, [...] based out of Texas, is [...] "a white supremacist group whose members maintain that their ancestors conquered America and bequeathed it solely to them."'

https://www.nbcphila...y-hall/2869038/

Ugh. Was out last night to desensitize myself to seeing/being around people. Though situations where there is a (not highly improbable) potential physical threat tend to make me feel calm and focused---adrenaline and fight/flight response rather than vague foreboding and mini-seizures (if I don't close one eye...). It was unpleasant; at first my eyes kept reflexively hyper-focusing on faces and immediately darting away (as if lashed by lightning) as my body spasmed, but few if any noticed and no one seemed to care much (despite the taboo on 'staring' at people, and social paranoia about drug use and mental illness), and squinting and unfocusing my eyes while generating pro-social emotions and channeling them to the area around my eyes helped. Music also helped induce a more positive mood. One of the nice things about live performances is that there's no taboo on looking at the performers for an extended period of time, though some forms of 'staring' may still be inappropriate (for example, extended hyper-focus on a particular body part, or with an angry expression, etc.).

'Woman's Transphobic Rant Sparks Violent Protests Outside L.A. Spa

[...] demonstrators with religious, transphobic, and homophobic signs gathered outside the establishment

[...] Counter-protestors were also at the scene to show support for the business and the trans community.

[...]

It wasn't long before the tensions escalated into physical violence, prompting the Los Angeles Police Department to declare an unlawful assembly. [...] at least [...] two [...] victims of assault with a deadly weapon.

[...]

"Police repeatedly use batons to push back counter protesters and strike a man on the ground."'
https://www.complex....los-angeles-spa

The spa was also 'Featured on Tucker Carlson's Show' before the protest....

[Edit: having a hard time getting paragraph breaks to display correctly here recently....]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 July 2021 - 02:46 PM

#27897 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

My nonno is in hospital - he's been in and out for more than 2 years now but I think this might be it. He's so frail and tired. I wish he had twenty more years in him, but...
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#27898 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 05 July 2021 - 05:00 PM, said:

PF y'all gonna have a wet and windy night and morning. Hope you got some supplies for the fam just incase. Stay safe.

Thanks BK. We're watching but aren't concerned with this one. I just love Hurricane Hype Season.

#27899 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 07 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

I feel this guy's frustration. The 4th was Sunday, so I'm fine with the weekend (hell I was okay if people started with the fireworks Thursday night). But fuck man, last night? Inconsiderate jerks were still at it in my vicinity. 4th of July is over assholes, time to shove the box of fireworks back into the crawl space.

"pretending to be a firework is also going to run afoul of our noise ordinances." ... heh, made me chuckle.

#27900 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:34 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 07 July 2021 - 04:00 PM, said:

I feel this guy's frustration. The 4th was Sunday, so I'm fine with the weekend (hell I was okay if people started with the fireworks Thursday night). But fuck man, last night? Inconsiderate jerks were still at it in my vicinity. 4th of July is over assholes, time to shove the box of fireworks back into the crawl space.

"pretending to be a firework is also going to run afoul of our noise ordinances." ... heh, made me chuckle.

Lol. I am no more than an hour away from where that took place. We have all kinds here in Florida...

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users