#30381 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2024 - 01:41 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 March 2024 - 07:47 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 11 March 2024 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 March 2024 - 12:58 PM, said:

Get well soon mang.

Had an interesting chat with our local councillor earlier. Suffice it to say I now have a different view of my street.

What's your current view?

Bail ASAP. Councillor rang and had a chat with me yesterday. He mentioned that over the last couple of years things around me have gotten very dodgy - a recurrent grower, a stabbing, a murder and a brothel full of trafficked illegal immigrants, all within a minute's walk from my front door.

Shit is fucked. I just wanna have a quiet day c'mon

Sounds like you're the common denominator TBF;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30382 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 12 March 2024 - 04:28 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 March 2024 - 01:41 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 March 2024 - 07:47 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 11 March 2024 - 03:53 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 March 2024 - 12:58 PM, said:

Get well soon mang.

Had an interesting chat with our local councillor earlier. Suffice it to say I now have a different view of my street.

What's your current view?

Bail ASAP. Councillor rang and had a chat with me yesterday. He mentioned that over the last couple of years things around me have gotten very dodgy - a recurrent grower, a stabbing, a murder and a brothel full of trafficked illegal immigrants, all within a minute's walk from my front door.

Shit is fucked. I just wanna have a quiet day c'mon

Sounds like you're the common denominator TBF;)

Next thing you'll be calling me Greengrass...
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30383 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:57 PM

RIP Vernor Vinge :(

#30384 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:16 AM

Someone either succeeded in or attempted to break into next door last night between 8pm - 930pm. Unclear which. Almost certainly gang related. Their rear door window was pretty cracked from the look of it and it also looked slightly ajar, remained that way all night. Heard what sounds like someone moving around in there from my office at around 6am so... idk, it's fucking scary.

#30385 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 March 2024 - 10:14 PM

Are there tougher things in life than getting puke chunks out of a carpet?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#30386 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:25 PM

The Grease medley on repeat while being stuck in a lift?

Or was that rhetorical?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#30387 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:37 PM

Tell me more...
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30388 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:40 PM

I’m actually starting to worry about how angry I get dealing with some companies support.

Some companies literally have no way to interact with a human being or to call a person at a specific location anymore. If I could have answered my question by reading your FAQ I wouldn’t be calling likely.

My pharmacy forced me to try describe my problem 3 times to a robot before finally letting me speak to a human being. My script is out of stock and I want my medication. Your robot can’t answer this question.

AMC has offered to let me send an email to a human who will respond in 5 bussiness days.

Uber makes it almost impossible to speak to a human being or lodge a complaint that isn’t one of the 5 or so options they will let you select from your drop-down. A month or so ago I found it impossible to explain that my complaint wasn’t for my current driver but was for the driver who I waited 20 minutes for at the airport and when he finally arrived cancelled the ride immediatly and drove right past me. The app automatically assigned a new driver and you can only select current or past rides.

Saving money by cutting out a customer support department strikes me as bad idea long term

#30389 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:09 PM

View PostCause, on 23 March 2024 - 09:40 PM, said:

I'm actually starting to worry about how angry I get dealing with some companies support.

Some companies literally have no way to interact with a human being or to call a person at a specific location anymore. If I could have answered my question by reading your FAQ I wouldn't be calling likely.

My pharmacy forced me to try describe my problem 3 times to a robot before finally letting me speak to a human being. My script is out of stock and I want my medication. Your robot can't answer this question.

AMC has offered to let me send an email to a human who will respond in 5 bussiness days.

Uber makes it almost impossible to speak to a human being or lodge a complaint that isn't one of the 5 or so options they will let you select from your drop-down. A month or so ago I found it impossible to explain that my complaint wasn't for my current driver but was for the driver who I waited 20 minutes for at the airport and when he finally arrived cancelled the ride immediatly and drove right past me. The app automatically assigned a new driver and you can only select current or past rides.

Saving money by cutting out a customer support department strikes me as bad idea long term

Generative AI could make it better, but ChatGPT etc. have basically been optimized to tell people what they want to hear rather than what's true... so unless they're able to prevent that, you could think you're getting great customer service while actually being misinformed. Though at least one court has found that companies can be liable for misinformation provided about refunds by the company's AI---in Canada....

#30390 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:42 PM

My goodness you need a new thing to take your interest so that literally everything you post is more than just "hurr durr AI is so great"

Like any advances in technology will actually help people rather than the worst rich and powerful anyway.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30391 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 March 2024 - 11:52 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 March 2024 - 11:42 PM, said:

My goodness you need a new thing to take your interest so that literally everything you post is more than just "hurr durr AI is so great"

Like any advances in technology will actually help people rather than the worst rich and powerful anyway.

Did you actually bother reading what I wrote? I was pointing out a major potential issue with it.

And it is what many companies are planning on switching to. It's one of the most touted near-term corporate applications of generative AI.

[Edit: but #StillTeamSkynet

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 March 2024 - 11:53 PM

#30392 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 March 2024 - 09:47 AM

I’m actually starting to worry about how angry I get dealing with some companies support.

You shouldn't be worrying, Cause. It is the only logical conclusion. I hit rock bottom when I was stuck in an infinite loop trying to tell a bathroom furniture company they had sent me the wrong part number. It took a ridiculous number of clicks to follow the trail that concluded in being informed I needed to talk to their online customer services. But when I clicked the link it just opened a new browser page to start from the beginning again. Eventually I managed to work out their online customer services was closed because it was Sunday. Of course I had to do many many clicks to find this information for myself, not because they told me so.

I fucking hate modern living. Honestly you have to wonder if massive infant mortality, an average life span of 40 years and no antibiotics (to name a few drawbacks) is a price worth paying for getting rid of this pointless waste of existence that our lives have become. Even when it's good it is at the expense of the planet and/or other people.

I would go and live in a hippy off grid commune if I didn't hate other people so intensely (especially hippy off grid commune types). Thinking very seriously about getting a brick phone as a small start.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 24 March 2024 - 09:47 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#30393 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2024 - 04:26 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 24 March 2024 - 09:47 AM, said:

You shouldn't be worrying, Cause. It is the only logical conclusion. I hit rock bottom when I was stuck in an infinite loop trying to tell a bathroom furniture company they had sent me the wrong part number. It took a ridiculous number of clicks to follow the trail that concluded in being informed I needed to talk to their online customer services. But when I clicked the link it just opened a new browser page to start from the beginning again. Eventually I managed to work out their online customer services was closed because it was Sunday. Of course I had to do many many clicks to find this information for myself, not because they told me so.

I fucking hate modern living. Honestly you have to wonder if massive infant mortality, an average life span of 40 years and no antibiotics (to name a few drawbacks) is a price worth paying for getting rid of this pointless waste of existence that our lives have become. Even when it's good it is at the expense of the planet and/or other people.

I would go and live in a hippy off grid commune if I didn't hate other people so intensely (especially hippy off grid commune types). Thinking very seriously about getting a brick phone as a small start.

I am not an angry person. I think people who know me would be uanble to picture me angry. I found myself screaming 'NO' at a robot on a phone when it asked me if it had heard me correctly for the third time when it hadnt. It was out of character. Im busy with work, stressed and I guess the frustration of knowing a human could have resolved my issue in 10 seconds but I need to spend ten minutes before I can get one just really sent me over the edge.

#30394 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:35 AM

Do you know about the dial 0 or say "operator" in the automated menu thing? Almost every major company has one of those turned on.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30395 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:05 AM

Or the 'stay silent, do nothing, stay on the line' thing that eventually connects you to a human.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30396 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:09 AM

Fainted and fractured ribs this weekend I could have been dehydrated but seeing the neurologist tomorrow.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30397 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 March 2024 - 08:44 AM

Two attempted break-ins next door in three days. Summat is about to go off... And frankly the stress is doing my nut in!

#30398 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 25 March 2024 - 11:38 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 March 2024 - 08:44 AM, said:

Two attempted break-ins next door in three days. Summat is about to go off... And frankly the stress is doing my nut in!

I bet! You need to get a big dog or a recording of one.

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 25 March 2024 - 11:39 AM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30399 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 March 2024 - 12:35 AM, said:

Do you know about the dial 0 or say "operator" in the automated menu thing? Almost every major company has one of those turned on.

Me calling customer support: "person talk to a person operator [pressing 0]".

Come to think of it, maybe I should buy some put options on companies investors expect to save a huge amount of money by using generative AI for customer service. So much of what AI can easily do without much risk of hallucination is already automated, and unless hallucinations can be prevented it's going to create many happy customers who aren't very happy for long... and a lot of legal action.

#30400 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 March 2024 - 12:54 PM

Oh boy oh boy oh BOY

Share this topic:

• 1523 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic