• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#30141 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 October 2023 - 04:20 PM

It’s kind of sad how so many of the tributes mention his battles with drug addiction. I think live and regret should be enough. Talk about his addiction should wait until after mourning

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 30 October 2023 - 11:57 AM

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30142 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 October 2023 - 08:52 AM

View PostLady Bliss, on 29 October 2023 - 04:20 PM, said:

It's kind of sad how so many of the tributes mention his battles with drug addiction. I think live and regret should be enough. Talk about his addiction should wait until after nou

Unfortunately it's just par for the course with the passing of someone with any level of fame, let alone someone involved in someone massive. A sad inevitability is that if they pass of anything but old age you'll always get this sort of gossip.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#30143 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 October 2023 - 12:00 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 30 October 2023 - 08:52 AM, said:

View PostLady Bliss, on 29 October 2023 - 04:20 PM, said:

It's kind of sad how so many of the tributes mention his battles with drug addiction. I think live and regret should be enough. Talk about his addiction should wait until after nou

Unfortunately it's just par for the course with the passing of someone with any level of fame, let alone someone involved in someone massive. A sad inevitability is that if they pass of anything but old age you'll always get this sort of gossip.

In this case he did publish a memoir last year (Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing) that, after Friends, was largely about his struggles with addiction ('the Big Terrible Thing'):

From the highs of sitcom fame to the downward spiral of addiction, Matthew Perry delivers a memoir that's both haunting and hilarious.

“But addiction wakes up before you do, and it wants you alone. Alcoholism will win every time. As soon as you raise your hand and say, “I’m having a problem,” alcohol sneers, You’re gonna say something about it? Fine, I’ll go away for a while. But I’ll be back. It never goes away for good.”

“And have you ever stood on the water's edge and tried to stop the wave? It goes on regardless of what we do, regardless of how hard we try. The ocean reminds us that we are powerless in comparison.”

“The man takes the drink, the drink takes all the rest.”

“It is very odd to live in a world where if you died, it would shock people but surprise no one.”

Matthew Perry Quotes (Author of Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing) (goodreads.com)

#30144 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 October 2023 - 01:11 PM

Dying drunk in a hot tub, Humanity...
As the hot tub slowly boils like a fatal tea

Dying drunk in a hot tub, the human race
Accelerating towards its final phase?

Dying drunk in a hot tub? There are worse ways to go.
Is it more tragic than human existence? IDK.

#30145 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 October 2023 - 01:59 PM

While I'm sad about Perry dying (I love FRIENDS and watched it a lot) the man spent a long long time in addiction that likely weakened his heart, but the way in which the media apparatus has made this 24/7 news coverage, drones over his backyard and zooms into the cops as they do their job like he's OJ in the Bronco is messed up...and smacks of trying to take the notice off things in the world that are far more pressing. The weekend got dominated by this.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 30 October 2023 - 01:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30146 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 30 October 2023 - 02:12 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 30 October 2023 - 01:11 PM, said:

Dying drunk in a hot tub, Humanity...
As the hot tub slowly boils like a fatal tea

Dying drunk in a hot tub, the human race
Accelerating towards its final phase?

Dying drunk in a hot tub? There are worse ways to go.
Is it more tragic than human existence? IDK.

This is a totally tasteless post. The man is dead and his family is mourning. They have already indicated that cause of death is still pending the toxicology. Regardless, he admitted in life in humiliatingly graphic detail about his struggles in the hopes that others don’t make the same mistakes. It was a sad life and a sad lonely death.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30147 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 30 October 2023 - 02:12 PM

There's also dangers of staying in a hot tub too long and alone, especially with a weakened heart etc.

I think people are skipping over this to go straight for the addiction talk.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30148 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 October 2023 - 02:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2023 - 01:59 PM, said:

While I'm sad about Perry dying (I love FRIENDS and watched it a lot) the man spent a long long time in addiction that likely weakened his heart, but the way in which the media apparatus has made this 24/7 news coverage, drones over his backyard and zooms into the cops as they do their job like he's OJ in the Bronco is messed up...and smacks of trying to take the notice off things in the world that are far more pressing. The weekend got dominated by this.

Whenever I wonder if, given the scale of the environmental [and other] carnage we cause as a species, an individual’s actions can possibly be meaningful, I often think of David Buckel.

You probably don’t know who Buckel was, which is a point in the “individual actions are futile” column. A prominent L.G.B.T.-rights lawyer, Buckel was as responsible as almost anyone else for making gay marriage the law of the land. Then, in 2018, he set himself on fire in a park [...] to protest inaction on climate change.

It was a shocking act, which was obviously what Buckel intended. But even in the midst of doing something most of us can’t conceive, he behaved in a rational, meticulous way — he left his ID nearby, allowing his body to be readily identified; formed a circle of dirt around himself, preventing the flames from spreading; and so on.

[...] Anything I write can only ever be half of the story; for the other half, we need to look back at the mute testimony of what David Buckel did to himself on that April morning

- New York Times newsletter, 10/28/2023

#30149 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:48 PM

View Postamphibian, on 30 October 2023 - 02:12 PM, said:

There's also dangers of staying in a hot tub too long and alone, especially with a weakened heart etc.

I think people are skipping over this to go straight for the addiction talk.

Well the weakened heart is tied directly to past drug addiction. If it was a clear case of Drugs I think we would know it already.

I dont think there is anything wrong about mentioning his struggle with drug addiction through his entire life. Its a defining characteristic of his life and while I am not familiar with the details he seems in the end to mostly have won. Thats a good thing.

#30150 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 30 October 2023 - 08:42 PM

I somewhat agree with what you are saying. I feel like there should be some respect for the dead and their families for a time before rehashing their faults. I know if it were my son I would appreciate words of condolence, I would be offended by them saying essentially “He was a nice guy BUT” statements. It just comes down to having some class and compassion.

This post has been edited by Lady Bliss: 30 October 2023 - 08:44 PM

#30151 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 31 October 2023 - 05:00 AM

Sad week all sorts of drama. Gnarly stuff. 3x bad things is the rule..the third is this..all equally shitty.

My sister is in law had this weird bug bite that turned to a rash on her breast. Concerned cause very sleepy .went to the doctor..

breast cancer came back

I didn't know but a rash is a bad sign..I guess. Find out wensday the exact type, however talking treatment really soon.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#30152 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 November 2023 - 12:51 PM

Council came by earlier with some questions about next door, there'd been some issues with planning permission.

Conversation led onto bins going out - weird, they haven't taken bins out in ages. In fact not since the old owner sold and moved, which was mid 2021.

Turns out after Dealers 1 got turfed out and the house sorted again, the new tenants were Dealers 2: Electric Boogashroom. So we now have an insecure house next door (the UPVC door has been catflapped at the bottom) full of drug growing gear. Delectation!

#30153 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:20 PM

In a now-viral interview clip, the actor says, “When I die, I don’t want Friends to be the first thing that’s mentioned. I want that [his advocacy on behalf of those living with addiction] to be the first thing that’s mentioned, and I’m going to live the rest of my life proving that.”

Matthew Perry Autopsy Rules Out Meth, Fentanyl as Cause of Death (thedailybeast.com)

#30154 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 November 2023 - 06:50 PM

Well I am unemployed again. After only 7 months. I joined a start up phase company and one of the first questions I asked was about the runway and they either misled themselves or me but I was promised we were healthy and had payroll secured into 2024. Well 4 months in and they announced we were trying to raise funding or find a buyer for the company before we ran out of money.

The company decalred insolvency and unloaded the US team. Im hearing now that there may be a last minute save for the company in the UK. No idea if that means I might be able to get my job back, not sure id want it if the company is this shaky. Im pissed at them but also myself, I had several other offers I turned down and of course hindsight is 20/20 now but I feel like I made the wrong choice.

View PostNicodimas, on 31 October 2023 - 05:00 AM, said:

Sad week all sorts of drama. Gnarly stuff. 3x bad things is the rule..the third is this..all equally shitty.

My sister is in law had this weird bug bite that turned to a rash on her breast. Concerned cause very sleepy .went to the doctor..

breast cancer came back

I didn't know but a rash is a bad sign..I guess. Find out wensday the exact type, however talking treatment really soon.

Fuck Cancer. Better to have a sign and get it diagnosed than not I would say. Hope she beats it soon

#30155 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 01 November 2023 - 11:34 PM

^ The rash was just a rash, still cancer and terrible but did not come back as not IBC. So hope. She will be going the surgery and radiation route very quickly in the next two weeks. My direct family doesn't have much experience with cancer .( Everyone gets hit by stokes ..always strokes.)
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#30156 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 02 November 2023 - 01:53 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 01 November 2023 - 11:34 PM, said:

^ The rash was just a rash, still cancer and terrible but did not come back as not IBC. So hope. She will be going the surgery and radiation route very quickly in the next two weeks. My direct family doesn't have much experience with cancer .( Everyone gets hit by stokes ..always strokes.)

I’m sorry your SIL is going through this. It’s a good thing she has family like you that cares for her, it will give her the strength to beat this!

#30157 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 02 November 2023 - 01:47 PM

First two dates of the tour got cancelled. One due to venue staff being ill and one because headliners were cross that only a few tickets had sold.

Cmon man I booked leave off for this

#30158 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 November 2023 - 02:39 PM

Short bursts of arrhythmic supraventricular tachycardia. Perhaps my past is catching up to me, ready to crush my heart between its multitudinous fingers.

Best not to get into any hot tubs (unaccompanied...). His death may have saved the lives of many future former (or current) substance abusers who didn't realize just how deadly hot tubs can be....

Seemed to be triggered by excitement when I saw how much my stocks leapt up this morning... I really should have more equanimity about the market by this point. Ah well.

#30159 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

Car has fucked it and the garage I bought it from have fucked me.

Bought a 2014 Auris on finance in March because my old Focus died on MOT. Had to scrap her, but I also need to go into the office on Wednesdays and that means I have to drive, as it's two hours one way on public transport and probably around £20 a day to do which is not feasible right now.

They sell me the car with a warranty, tell me that if owt happens, fetch it down and they'll sort. Mega, I'll take that. Forward to October, the gears start seizing, and when it's taken in on warranty to be looked at yesterday (earliest they could get it in for), oh no this is wear and tear not mechanical failure, despite that it's happened within less than a year of me owning the fucking thing. I am pretty livid about this and considering taking advice on it.

And storm Babet has done... something... to the terrace end, so we have a wet patch bleeding through the wall in a couple places in the bedroom. Builder is on call to have a look but we're already going to be accepting a parental loan to sort the car, and I don't know what's gonna happen with the house now. Stress I do not need.

#30160 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 07 November 2023 - 09:56 PM

Sorry to hear that Maark. You’ve really had a rough go of it this last year.

Share this topic:

• 1531 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

21 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users