• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#30061 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:16 PM

Mayo have better days ahead.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30062 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2023 - 02:49 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 October 2023 - 01:40 PM, said:

My otherwise perfectly acceptable breakfast sandwich is so loaded w mayo that the Mayo Clinic and the estate of the late Chairman Mayo have both threatened legal action.

Could it be the awful influence of the evil empire?

the under-reported fact that [American] Americans don’t understand that you can put butter in a sandwich, preferring to drown it in mayo instead. My American wife, it dawned on me with horror, was guilty of this habit. “Why don’t you butter your sandwiches?” I texted her urgently. (“This is not innuendo,” I added.) “Yuck,” she replied. “A sandwich needs mayo.” We were, I realised, two countries divided by a common language and a completely different approach to spreadable fats.

[...] The explanation, I think, is that, like their horrible chocolate, a lot of American butter is substandard, because of looser regulations; European butter has to have a higher butterfat percentage than American butter and those extra percentages add a lot of flavour. American butter is usually designed for cooking and, unless you go out of your way to look for the good stuff, it doesn’t add much to a sandwich.

Why don’t Americans put butter on their sandwiches? | Food | The Guardian

But I thought you Canadians were more enlightened than that:

“You know what they do in Canada? They butter their bread before making any sandwich!” and some were like “Whoa!” and some where like “Ew!” and one was even like “No way, man, you’re pulling my leg.”

Is this a Canadian thing? (Putting butter on both sides of sandwich bread) - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board

Of course in a more perfect universe I would outlaw mayo, butter, and all refined grain sandwiches....

#30063 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

The buttering of the bread before other sandwich elements is a Boomer thing that hearkens back to post-WWII...my mom and dad both did it...but most younger people (Millennials and below) don't do this even in Canada.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 October 2023 - 03:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30064 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 October 2023 - 03:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 October 2023 - 03:01 PM, said:

The buttering of the bread before other sandwich elements is a Boomer thing that hearkens back to post-WWII...my mom and dad both did it...but most younger people (Millennials and below) don't do this even in Canada.

True. If you're putting mustard or mayo or peanut butter, why butter (or worse, margarine) before that?

And yet there they go, slathering an extra layer of fat onto the bread before slathering a layer of (potentially fat) condiment onto the bread.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30065 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 October 2023 - 03:42 PM

My grandmother was born just before the Great Depression hit. One of their meals that she's carried forward her entire life is peanut butter and butter sandwiches on white bread. It's gross.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#30066 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:08 PM

Gag, yes.

Tho butter and jam is where i take the fence... it kind of works if the butter isn't slathered on to the point of diluting the jam.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30067 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:14 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2023 - 03:42 PM, said:

My grandmother was born just before the Great Depression hit. One of their meals that she's carried forward her entire life is peanut butter and butter sandwiches on white bread. It's gross.

My mom did the same thing throughout her life...I never understood it and thought it tasted gross the one time I tried it.

View PostAbyss, on 16 October 2023 - 05:08 PM, said:

Gag, yes.

Tho butter and jam is where i take the fence... it kind of works if the butter isn't slathered on to the point of diluting the jam.

My mom buttered any sandwich....EVERY sandwich. So I'd often get a cold sandwich which was just buttered white bread and a slice of American Cheese in my school lunch...and that was gross...but what's funny is that if you flipped that buttered bread inside out and then grilled it with the cheese in the inside suddenly you have a grilled cheese sandwich which is delicious...but yeah cold butter and cold cheese on a sandwich...mom....no.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 October 2023 - 05:16 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#30068 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:19 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2023 - 03:42 PM, said:

Elvis Presley's Favorite Peanut Butter Sandwich Recipe

1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
2 slices white bread
2 tablespoons peanut butter
[...]

Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. [...]

[...] This "Fool's Gold Loaf" combined peanut butter, bananas, and bacon in a hollowed-out loaf of French bread, which was then deep-fried.

[...] Elvis was so tempted by the sound of this decadent sandwich that he flew everyone from Memphis to Denver in the middle of the night on his private jet. The sandwich didn't disappoint, and The King reportedly bought the recipe from the restaurant's owner and passed it on to [...] his personal cook, and asked her to have one standing by at all times.

Elvis Presley's Favorite Peanut Butter Sandwich Recipe (seriouseats.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 16 October 2023 - 05:20 PM

#30069 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:26 PM

I remember always having butter on sandwiches growing up as a kid, and my daughter won’t eat a ham sandwich without it. Of course my Mom is from England and I’ve always suspected I was raised wrong.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30070 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:18 PM

We butter bread as par for the course (or use margarine) here. It's so much a none thing that just happens I don't get why you lot are freaking out about it. I never make a sandwich/toast without it.

While I'm on it, y'all need more marmite in your lives.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30071 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:17 PM

I spoke to my mother about this debate and she says that I was raised right and anyone that doesn’t butter their sandwiches is wrong.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#30072 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:29 PM

My father in law has had the same sandwich every day for lunch for decades.

Bread, butter, jam.

They’re from Botswana, so I reckon it’s a regional thing also.

In my home the only time you put butter on bread is if you wanted buttered bread (usually with pot pie, pot roast, etc), butter with jelly on toast, or cinnamon toast.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#30073 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:29 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 16 October 2023 - 06:18 PM, said:

We butter bread as par for the course (or use margarine) here. It's so much a none thing that just happens I don't get why you lot are freaking out about it. I never make a sandwich/toast without it.

While I'm on it, y'all need more marmite in your lives.

It changes the taste of the sandwich ENTIRELY though....same if you put it under peanut butter....like it's not like butter is some non-tasting sandwich glue...it tastes, so a BLT with no butter tastes ENTIRELY different from a BLT with buttered bread.

Now I'm picturing a Subway Sandwich shop in the UK trying to butter my turkey sub bread and me rioting.

I ALMOST had it out with them when I was there in 2009 and asked for "sub sauce" (olive oil, water, vinegar, sugar, seasoning blend) and the staffer looked at me like I'd grown a 2nd head...and then she proceeded to make fun of me over it by calling up her co-workers and telling them what I'd asked for...English people are mean man....and then she had the AUDACITY to offer me "Prawn Crisps"....lady, I'm about to leap over this counter....Sub Sauce (your companies signature sauce in North America) causes you to make fun of me, but somehow SHRIMP-FLAVOURED chips are fair game?

#30074 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:32 PM

But prawn crisps are awesome.

#30075 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:03 PM

Prawn cocktail crisps are the best. The absolute best.

And not having butter on your bread is too dry.

This is a hill I will die on!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30076 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:30 PM

I will take this stand with you.

Butter on the bread
On the crackers
On the rolls

Butter or death!

#30077 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:22 PM

Butter on the bread isn't really the issue - it's the combining the buttered bread with stuff that doesn't really go with it.

#30078 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:47 PM

My point is that it goes with everything! Cheese, ham, peanut butter, Marmite, honey, jam... Unless the butter you guys have over there is just terrible, it surprises me to see such a visceral reaction haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#30079 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 October 2023 - 10:37 PM

I use Kate's Butter, which is pretty high quality, especially for baking.

For me, it's more of a "this is a fatty dairy taste thing that when cold doesn't pair super well with another fatty taste thing in peanut butter".

Now a grilled cheese slaps. We all know this. But nobody ever says a grilled peanut butter because it's nonsense.

#30080 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2023 - 10:53 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 October 2023 - 10:37 PM, said:

I use Kate's Butter, which is pretty high quality, especially for baking.

For me, it's more of a "this is a fatty dairy taste thing that when cold doesn't pair super well with another fatty taste thing in peanut butter".

Now a grilled cheese slaps. We all know this. But nobody ever says a grilled peanut butter because it's nonsense.

Place sandwich on grill pan. Cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes per side.

Elvis Presley's Favorite Peanut Butter Sandwich Recipe (seriouseats.com)

Granted, that seems different from their own description of Elvis's favorite version, which is deep fried.

Pretty sure I tasted a version of this sandwich and it was decent, even though I've never liked the so-called bacon that's served in most US restaurants. (Back then my goal was to eat everything. (And drink everything. Which renders my memory hazy in places....))

Share this topic:

• 1527 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users