• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29081 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2022 - 06:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 October 2022 - 04:11 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 October 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

Slate article today falsely claimed that quantum entanglement allows for faster than light information transfer. Their science journalism has been really bad....

To be fair, the concepts about all this come from stuff like a PHILOSOPHY of Quantum Physics book (Tim Maudlin, I think?), and this is all around Bell's theory isn't it?...So the HONEST answer is that no one really knows, everyone is speculating and even the foremost experts can't be 100% certain.....so "falsely" is a bit grandiose. What we know about the universe is infantile in the grand scheme...

And you have to admit the nitpick of "information" doesn't travel faster than the speed of light between those two spinning electrons is exactly that a nitpick, especially with something so esoteric to science circles where they all kind of hand wave it because we can also frame it like: Entanglement doesn't "travel" at all, so how can it travel faster than light? Why are we even asking this question.

It's just Hank's (and others) tiktok's took a VERY complex subject and perhaps oversimplified it (based on what I think is wave function collapse, which I understand some groups of people studying QM reject in favour of what? Super-determinism otherwise known as "The universe is like it is...just because"...?).

Everything is everywhere all at once, and it's all magic anyways.

This is about actual experiments (including the ones for which the most recent Nobel prize was awarded), and actual current or near future technology. (As well as long-term technology---though again worm-holes may be an option.)

Quantum computers rely on entanglement. So does quantum encryption.

'"The experiments [...] show that this stuff isn't just philosophical, it's real—and like other real things, potentially useful", says [...] an eminent quantum researcher at IBM.

[...] From about 1940 until as late as 1990, the topic was often treated as philosophy at best and crackpottery at worst. [...] Today, quantum information science is among the most vibrant and impactful subfields in all of physics. [...] It dictates the design and function of quantum sensors, which are increasingly being used to study everything from earthquakes to dark matter. And it clarifies the often-confusing nature of quantum entanglement, a phenomenon that is pivotal to modern materials science and that lies at the heart of quantum computing.

"What even makes a quantum computer 'quantum'?" [...] "One of the most popular answers is entanglement, and the main reason why we understand entanglement is the grand work participated in by Bell and these Nobel Prize–winners. Without that understanding of entanglement, we probably wouldn't be able to realize quantum computers."'

The Universe Is Not Locally Real, and the Physics Nobel Prize Winners Proved It

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 October 2022 - 06:03 PM

#29082 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

View Postamphibian, on 20 October 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 October 2022 - 07:51 PM, said:

Winter has come. Inside my (sealed and insulated) apartment it's still a tolerable 60 degrees (for now), but I'm trying to get as much Seaboard practice in (it's basically like a cross between a keyboard where every fingertip is a violin and a fretless zither (that "feels like an expensive sex toy" (and "like the skin of a dolphin"))) as possible (without re-injuring my wrists (spaced practice is apparently more effective anyway)) before it gets cold enough to start impeding my playing (at which point I'll switch to instruments I can play with winter gloves without impediment---finger drumming, etc.).

Do you turn the heat on during the winter? Because you can have a 60 degree house throughout the winter...

Imagine having the sheer wealth to even suggest turning the heat on this winter! I'm crying into me Yewnyun Jack now I am!
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29083 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 October 2022 - 05:35 PM

I know this is massive First World Problems issue but we've got rid of Netflix, Prime and Spotify to save a bit of money. I'm gutted not to have all this at my fingertips and we'll have to rely on BBC iPlayer and the ad based UK streaming site (ITV Hub/All 4 etc.)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29084 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 October 2022 - 06:42 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 21 October 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

Imagine having the sheer wealth to even suggest turning the heat on this winter! I'm crying into me Yewnyun Jack now I am!

Hah. But seriously... who in Philadelphia besides Azath only turns on their heat when the pipes are about to freeze and burst?

I prefer keeping my place at 60 in the winter and am actually putting the heat on to do so right now. It's not $300 a month to do that for a 2 bedroom apartment, future gains in the stock market aren't worth me freezing my nads off to the point where I can't play a musical instrument that I want to because it's de facto mandatory to wear gloves indoors.

This is absolutely bizarre and is self punishment for foolish reasons.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 21 October 2022 - 06:43 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29085 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 October 2022 - 07:56 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 October 2022 - 06:42 PM, said:

Hah. But seriously... who in Philadelphia besides Azath only turns on their heat when the pipes are about to freeze and burst?

I prefer keeping my place at 60 in the winter and am actually putting the heat on to do so right now. It's not $300 a month to do that for a 2 bedroom apartment, future gains in the stock market aren't worth me freezing my nads off to the point where I can't play a musical instrument that I want to because it's de facto mandatory to wear gloves indoors.

Used to do it while not wearing any clothes except for boxer briefs. Didn't bother me much until I managed to give myself chillblains washing my hands (with very cold water... and wind coming through the walls).

Actual impediment or significant injury are my concerns. But with warm winter clothing it's not particularly distracting.

Finger drumming may sound simple, but it can actually be very complicated, and for songwriting/producing it's an extremely useful skill. (Especially since some professional distribution services won't accept anything using non-exclusive drum loops even if they're royalty-free. And Content ID---which already incorrectly flags some royalty-free melodies and insufficiently altered royalty-free samples because they've been used in other songs in its database and doesn't give you a chance to prove you own the rights to them unless you're represented by a major label---could in the near future be extended to drum grooves (though there's so much similarity that randomization of drum midi might suffice to evade it, provided a groove isn't distinctive). OTOH AI has advanced a lot recently and can now generate convincingly humanized drum midi in a wide variety of styles....)

Not sure whether it's better (for efficient learning) to focus on one instrument at a time for a stretch of months or alternate between two each day. Anyway, the finger drumming should also improve my general sense of rhythm and timing. The color of the pads indicates whether I'm playing in time, slightly early, slightly late, or so far off I effectively 'missed' the beat.

It's not like I won't be able to practice the Seaboard at all when it gets cold. Just in brief increments. If I'm shivering I can record the vibrato and tremolo, like an EKG of feeling....

#29086 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 October 2022 - 03:13 AM

This is such bullshit. FUCK IT ALL! At ER, emergency surgery on my son.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#29087 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 October 2022 - 03:32 AM

Whoa! He OK? What happened?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29088 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 October 2022 - 07:12 AM

I’m so irate! Everything just continues to be more and more fucked on my end. My poor boy complained to his stepfather his sack was hurting Tuesday and starting to swell up and he told him to take ibuprofen and get over it. Here it is Saturday and I’m just even learning of the situation so I told him I was coming to pick him up to go the ER and his stepfather gave him attitude accusing him of just wanting to come to my house. I watched him in my mirror as I was pulling up go back towards his stepfather to tell him by and he got the car door slammed in his face. He was crushed and crying his ass off walking to my truck.

Well now my 15 year old son is down to one nut. Just my fucking god what a blow this turned out to be today. I feel ill. Stepfather has something coming to him…

I’m going to enjoy giving it to him to.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#29089 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 October 2022 - 12:42 PM

Wait what?!!! That’s horrible BK!!! Thank god you took him to the ER.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29090 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 October 2022 - 12:49 PM

The main thing is your boy, hopefully he recovers and gets through it as well as can be. There's going to be a lot of support needed by him.

And as for the stepdad ... well, I know what I'd like to do if I got my hands on anyone who did that to my boy - either the injury itself (do we know what happened?) or just the depraved indifference - trust me on that.

But calming down a bit - can he be charged with anything here?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 October 2022 - 12:50 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29091 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 October 2022 - 04:17 PM

Testicular torsion is a scary thing.

Charges aren't relevant here. Custody is.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29092 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 23 October 2022 - 05:51 PM

Holy shit man.

I know your pissed BK, but for the love of god don’t do something stupid. Kid just lost his nut, doesn’t need to lose his dad also cause he’s sitting in jail.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29093 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 October 2022 - 12:33 AM

Omg, BK, what happened to his balls? Glad he's okay — testicular things can go south real fast!

#29094 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 October 2022 - 07:42 AM

Bit a tooth in half on Saturday. Don't have a dentist. Gotta now try and find one taking NHS patients without a waiting list into January.

#29095 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 October 2022 - 04:30 PM

Good news is that by January there won't be an NHS so you won't have to worry about it

#29096 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:23 PM

School shooting at a high school only 10-15 blocks from me. 1 adult, 1 kid dead, shooter thankfully dead as well. And thankfully, my kids don't go to that school.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#29097 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 October 2022 - 09:12 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 24 October 2022 - 08:23 PM, said:

School shooting at a high school only 10-15 blocks from me. 1 adult, 1 kid dead, shooter thankfully dead as well. And thankfully, my kids don't go to that school.

Posted Image

'St. Louis Schools Superintendent [...] said seven security guards were in the school at the time, each at an entry point of the locked building. One of the guards noticed the man trying to get in at a locked door, but couldn't. The guard notified school officials and ensured police were contacted[...]

He declined to say how the man eventually got inside, armed with what he described as a long gun. [... prayer? ...]

'[...] they heard the shooter declare: “You are all going to die.”'

'One terrorized girl said she was eye-to-eye with the shooter before his gun apparently jammed and she was able to run out.'

[...] Some of the six people hospitalized suffered gunshot wounds, while others were struck by shrapnel [...]

Officers worked to get students out [...] then "ran to that gunfire, located that shooter and engaged that shooter in an exchange of gunfire," killing him[...]

Ninth-grader [...] she was in math class when the shooter fired into the room from the hallway. The shooter was unable to get into the room and banged on the door as students piled into a corner[...]

Monday's school shooting was the 40th this year [in the United States] resulting in injuries or death[...] — the most in any single year since it began tracking shootings in 2018.'

2 killed in shooting at St. Louis high school; gunman dead

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 October 2022 - 09:24 PM

#29098 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 October 2022 - 06:42 PM, said:

For us, running a shower for about 5 minutes is 30p on the meter. Running a bowl of hot water to wash the dishes is 13p. So assuming that 30p per 5 minutes of gas used is the average, that's £3.60 per hour. In the winter we would average about six to seven heated hours a day, (more if it was really bitter out) which puts us at £252 a week, and just over £1000 a month.

For context our entire year's bill for FY2021-22 was about £960.

We can't afford heat. We literally can't.

#29099 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:04 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 October 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

... puts us at £252 a week, and just over £1000 a month.

The.
Fuck.

How you have not revolted and executed your gov by now i do not understand. They're actively trying to kill you.

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 October 2022 - 02:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2022 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 October 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

... puts us at £252 a week, and just over £1000 a month.

The.
Fuck.

How you have not revolted and executed your gov by now i do not understand. They're actively trying to kill you.

Revolutions have been started for less. Capitalism has fucked us ALL into acceptance for so long that it slid into Neo-Feudalism without anyone noticing, and we are collectively locked into it and any attempts to break out would result in a lot of years of strife (like you can't General Strike without threatening your job, and therefore the life you're eeking out just above the poverty line)...so I'm not sure what happens.

Look at us here in Canada Abyss. Rich evil fuckers like Galen Weston Jr. not only have us by the collective balls, but they MOCK us by releasing pandering Bullshit "price freeze" ads to try to keep everyone from freaking out. He's Lex Luthor without the charm. The more we let people like there Weston's OWN us, the worse it will get. They are not going to relax their profit margin quietly. They know people need food and The Westons and Empire Foods own EVERY grocery store but Metro and Food Basics. Two monopolies exist in Canada for FOOD....it's more mental than our telecom situation.

I shop for most of my produce at small Asian grocers [minus T&T who are owned by the Westons] now since they have not been gouging, but shopping for regular ass shit (non-produce stuff)...has become insane. A single pack of hot dogs (which let's make sure we know is a shit JUNK food with very little nutritional value) is now cresting $9. NINE FUCKING DOLLARS FOR HOT DOGS.

The French Revolution boiled over from rotten food. We ain't far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users