• You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#29061 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:39 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 October 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

The goddess of death was just about to resurrect my cat when the alarm went off.

Stubbed my little toe so hard the nail detached from the bottom and from one side. It's still attached on the other side though. Medical websites giving conflicting advice about whether to remove the rest or leave it on, but for now I'll leave it---it looks like it won't impede the growth of new nail from the base, at least not the initial growth (websites estimate 12 months for toenail to regrow but don't specify *which* toe---since this is smallest toe, and has the smallest nail, I imagine it should take considerably less time). Bought some toe protectors in case it catches on something and gets torn off. Don't particularly want to waste money on medical care when the stock market's this low.

Salt let me know I had a hole in the meat of my mouth---maybe an ulcer. Then I accidentally bit the inside of my mouth open in another place.

Ripping open a taped-shut box a bit carelessly I managed to rip the fingernail off my left index finger partially. That finger of my glove was full of blood. Thankfully the base of the fingernail held on.

Azath, i don't mean to offer unprofessional non-medical professional internet advice, but have you considered whether maybe just maybe you might be just a little bit undead?
Not full blown vampiric or lich or anything dramatic like that, just maybe zombie, possibly a bit ghoul or wight?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29062 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 October 2022 - 06:46 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 October 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

The goddess of death was just about to resurrect my cat when the alarm went off.

Stubbed my little toe so hard the nail detached from the bottom and from one side. It's still attached on the other side though. Medical websites giving conflicting advice about whether to remove the rest or leave it on, but for now I'll leave it---it looks like it won't impede the growth of new nail from the base, at least not the initial growth (websites estimate 12 months for toenail to regrow but don't specify *which* toe---since this is smallest toe, and has the smallest nail, I imagine it should take considerably less time). Bought some toe protectors in case it catches on something and gets torn off. Don't particularly want to waste money on medical care when the stock market's this low.

Salt let me know I had a hole in the meat of my mouth---maybe an ulcer. Then I accidentally bit the inside of my mouth open in another place.

Ripping open a taped-shut box a bit carelessly I managed to rip the fingernail off my left index finger partially. That finger of my glove was full of blood. Thankfully the base of the fingernail held on.

Time for one of my fave quotes:

When you have a bad day, give up. Go home and sleep. Fuck it. Try again tomorrow. Not every bad day can become a good day. Some days are just fucked, and cannot be unfucked. When you have a day that is fucked beyond repair, that is the universe speaking to you. Sending you a message. Listen to the universe. Go home, and save your energy. Tomorrow is another day. For now, just fucking chill at home.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 October 2022 - 06:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29063 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 October 2022 - 09:11 PM

One of my favorite Mother Teresa quotes.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29064 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 October 2022 - 10:51 PM

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 13 October 2022 - 09:11 PM, said:

I thought that was Ghandi?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29065 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:27 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 13 October 2022 - 10:51 PM, said:

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 13 October 2022 - 09:11 PM, said:

I thought that was Ghandi?

You're both wrong, it was Nietzsche.

#29066 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:45 AM

My bad, not really my niche.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#29067 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 October 2022 - 03:31 PM

Yep, unfortunately, learning philosophy has ghandi way of the dodo.

I am sorry…..
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#29068 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:52 PM

Dang Robbie Coltrane died :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#29069 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 October 2022 - 07:38 PM

My girlfriend and I both have COVID. We both just started Paxlovid.

🤞

#29070 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 October 2022 - 09:19 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 14 October 2022 - 07:38 PM, said:

My girlfriend and I both have COVID. We both just started Paxlovid.

🤞

Bummer. At least it's at the same time, bad as it may seem, because it's worse when one gets it and starts to get better then the other one gets it. Hope it's not too bad for you both.

Paxlovid sounds like some sort of celebrity fitness craze. Or one of Putin's inner circle. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29071 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 17 October 2022 - 09:18 AM

Dislocated my arm in my sleep at exactly midnight which rang in my birthday. Got to spend the first several hours in agony in the emergency room. Yay me .
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#29072 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 October 2022 - 07:51 PM

Winter has come. Inside my (sealed and insulated) apartment it's still a tolerable 60 degrees (for now), but I'm trying to get as much Seaboard practice in (it's basically like a cross between a keyboard where every fingertip is a violin and a fretless zither (that "feels like an expensive sex toy" (and "like the skin of a dolphin"))) as possible (without re-injuring my wrists (spaced practice is apparently more effective anyway)) before it gets cold enough to start impeding my playing (at which point I'll switch to instruments I can play with winter gloves without impediment---finger drumming, etc.).

'One of the oldest, most robust findings on learning and memory, one that’s been found everywhere from purely verbal skills like language-learning to fine motor skills like surgery, is that if you want to remember something, you should use spaced repetition. [...]

The effect is more subtle as skills get more physically and mentally demanding, and for complex psychomotor skills like piano performance it’s not particularly well-studied. I would guess that this happens because learning music requires some combination of “massed” and spaced practice: you need to do quite a few repetitions in a row to make any progress, but to retain and build on that progress you’d do well to space out your reviews. Because of the limited scope of any research study, you tend to find comparisons that look like “practiced seven times in a row, exactly once” versus “practiced exactly once a day for a week.” Neither of those methods is going to get you to master that Mozart sonata. But the finding itself is so robust that it would be surprising if there weren’t a spacing effect for piano practice done right as well.

So why does hardly anyone do this?'

Spaced repetition for musicians

... I'll grant that Trump was right about one big thing; 'FOOLS!' Oh wearisome Condition(edness) of Humanity...

#29073 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 October 2022 - 07:41 AM

Seaboard? Nice. Seen one of those live before, they're really cool.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#29074 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 October 2022 - 02:49 PM

Slate article today falsely claimed that quantum entanglement allows for faster than light information transfer. Their science journalism has been really bad....

#29075 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:19 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 October 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

Slate article today falsely claimed that quantum entanglement allows for faster than light information transfer. Their science journalism has been really bad....

Well, there goes my groove.

#29076 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:25 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 October 2022 - 07:51 PM, said:

Winter has come. Inside my (sealed and insulated) apartment it's still a tolerable 60 degrees (for now), but I'm trying to get as much Seaboard practice in (it's basically like a cross between a keyboard where every fingertip is a violin and a fretless zither (that "feels like an expensive sex toy" (and "like the skin of a dolphin"))) as possible (without re-injuring my wrists (spaced practice is apparently more effective anyway)) before it gets cold enough to start impeding my playing (at which point I'll switch to instruments I can play with winter gloves without impediment---finger drumming, etc.).

Do you turn the heat on during the winter? Because you can have a 60 degree house throughout the winter...
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29077 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:39 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 October 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 19 October 2022 - 07:51 PM, said:

Do you turn the heat on during the winter? Because you can have a 60 degree house throughout the winter...

Only when there's significant risk of the pipes freezing (which is when my current lease requires it).

1. It's expensive. Especially don't want to waste money on heat while the stock market's this low. (While some insulation has been placed ooutside on the windows and I've put up some insulation against the windows and walls, I don't think there's any insulation inside the walls, which is what would really be required for it to be very effective.)

2. It's bad for the environment.

On Slate: it's messing with my groove because they're one of my favorite news sources, and faster than light information transfer through something as readily accessible as quantum entanglement would have major implications for the (near- as well as long-term) future of humanity (pseudo-FTL information transfer through wormholes is still a possibility)... it's a major error.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 October 2022 - 03:39 PM

#29078 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:45 PM

It's worth whatever the heating bill is to keep a place at 60 or whatever temperature that allows you to do the things you want to do during the winter without wearing gloves inside.

I know you operate a bit differently than most people, but saving 100 bucks a month by functionally punishing yourself with cold is more stressful and foolish than turning on the heat all the time.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29079 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 October 2022 - 04:11 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 20 October 2022 - 02:49 PM, said:

To be fair, the concepts about all this come from stuff like a PHILOSOPHY of Quantum Physics book (Tim Maudlin, I think?), and this is all around Bell's theory isn't it?...So the HONEST answer is that no one really knows, everyone is speculating and even the foremost experts can't be 100% certain.....so "falsely" is a bit grandiose. What we know about the universe is infantile in the grand scheme...

And you have to admit the nitpick of "information" doesn't travel faster than the speed of light between those two spinning electrons is exactly that a nitpick, especially with something so esoteric to science circles where they all kind of hand wave it because we can also frame it like: Entanglement doesn't "travel" at all, so how can it travel faster than light? Why are we even asking this question.

It's just Hank's (and others) tiktok's took a VERY complex subject and perhaps oversimplified it (based on what I think is wave function collapse, which I understand some groups of people studying QM reject in favour of what? Super-determinism otherwise known as "The universe is like it is...just because"...?).

Everything is everywhere all at once, and it's all magic anyways.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#29080 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:59 PM

View Postamphibian, on 20 October 2022 - 03:45 PM, said:

It's worth whatever the heating bill is to keep a place at 60 or whatever temperature that allows you to do the things you want to do during the winter without wearing gloves inside.

I know you operate a bit differently than most people, but saving 100 bucks a month by functionally punishing yourself with cold is more stressful and foolish than turning on the heat all the time.

Probably more like $150-$300 / month after the rate hikes (before I added the insulation, sealed the cracks, and started using as little heat as possible, I was regularly getting heating bills of $200-$300 / month). Discounting against the future value of the stocks I'd have to sell that could easily be more like $300-600 to $2000-$3000 / month (depending on time frame, and how quickly automation, quantum computing, and other technologies take off...).

Unfortunately I am still human, so that 'FOOLS!' applies to me as well. But I'll still be able to practice finger drumming and vocals/singing without significant impediment.

I could also sell some of my music software or hardware but I don't want to. Maybe I'll sell some things I don't really use. Still, it would be better to put that money in the stock market (probably...).

Thought I'd have more time before it started getting cold---last few years have been relatively warm through much of December. Might still end up being that way after this cold front passes... or not.

Wearing socks and slippers ripped that toenail (that was already mostly detached) off... didn't see any blood though.

Share this topic:

• 1521 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users