• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#28941 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 August 2022 - 12:04 PM

I see the Oil lobbies are hard at work trying to convince people electric is bad....fucking clods.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28942 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:14 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 31 August 2022 - 12:04 PM, said:

I see the Oil lobbies are hard at work trying to convince people electric is bad....fucking clods.

The article isn't anti-EV, it's pro-safety regulations. The clickbait headline may be misleading in that regard.

'With no need to fit a gasoline engine underneath the hood, Ford could have restructured its front end to slope toward the ground, giving the driver a better view and making it more likely that a pedestrian or cyclist would roll off the top instead of absorbing a collision directly. Instead, Ford kept the tall dimensions of the existing F-150, converting the space underneath the hood into storage that the company calls a “frunk.”

[...] These risks of electrification are avoidable. With regulation, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration could set a minimum zero-to-60 threshold on public roads, ensuring that electrification doesn’t invite a reckless acceleration competition among carmakers. The federal government should also address the prisoner’s dilemma of people buying tall, heavy SUVs and trucks—electric or otherwise—merely to avoid being at a disadvantage in a crash with another vehicle.

[...] There need not be a tradeoff between efforts to halt climate change and reduce the surging number of American road deaths. But avoiding one requires forethought and initiative. Federal leaders need to show it.'

Electric trucks are too heavy and the Inflation Reduction Act doesn’t fix it

#28943 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:42 PM

It seems like a genuine dilemma though: safety regulations will almost certainly slow the transition, especially among those who use the most fuel. Will the impact on climate change ultimately outweigh the increase in traffic deaths? If Democrats do manage to pass federal regulations, will the backlash lead to Trumpublicans retaking control?

'Trump Has Officially Declared His Embrace of QAnon

[...] to use the words of his devoted QAnon followers, a "great awakening."'

Trump Has Officially Declared His Embrace of QAnon

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 31 August 2022 - 02:43 PM

#28944 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 August 2022 - 03:45 PM

This is isn't my original thought so I'm just summing a conversation I read (and the article that inspired it), but some of that problem with battery size seems to be that auto manufacturers believe consumers want longer range cars (like 300+ miles between charges) -- and frankly, it's probably true of (American) consumers' beliefs/desires, however unrealistic that need actually is. The way we "think" we drive vs. the way we actually drive. Here's that article just for reference (it's NYT so might be inaccessible, sorry, but I mean you get the gist anyway): My link

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28945 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 01 September 2022 - 01:48 AM

I think they messed up and should have gone with removable swappable batteries, similar to what was being planned for some now defunct hydrogen powered cars. Most complaints about range disappear if the time to recharge is a couple minutes, or you can pack an extra battery.

#28946 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 01 September 2022 - 06:52 PM

The US postal service would save me a lot of time if they would just deliver the mail straight to the trash.

Unbelievable how much waste is generated

#28947 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 01 September 2022 - 07:08 PM

View PostCause, on 01 September 2022 - 06:52 PM, said:

The US postal service would save me a lot of time if they would just deliver the mail straight to the trash.

Unbelievable how much waste is generated

Yeah... but of course a lot of that can be recycled:

'the majority of what you receive in the mail is 100% recyclable. And when done properly, it makes a big difference. Junk mail and newspapers often return to the economy in the form of magazines, office paper, egg cartons, and more, while an estimated 75% of "new cardboard" is made up of recycled material.

To provide you with an easy reference for what should go in your recycling bin, the following items can be routinely recycled:

[...] A standard envelope, including stamp and return address label, can be recycled without any preparation.

Paper envelopes with address windows: Despite small transparent film that covers an address window likely being made of plastic or cellulose, most recycling facilities have the ability to remove it in the pulping process. However, like most products constructed of mixed materials, it can also complicate things—so simply ripping off and throwing away the window is considered a best practice.

Cardboard boxes: Corrugated cardboard boxes (the type with the "wavy" middle layer) [...] fiber-based tape (like the variety Amazon uses) does not need to be removed.

Cardboard boxes should also be broken down flat as a space-saving measure'

What Mail is Recyclable?

... though a maintenance worker at my apartment building told me the recycling ends up going in the trash... that was several years ago.

'Philadelphia says it's no longer mixing recycling and trash, but [...] many residents reported seeing it throughout the spring and even this summer, according to multiple anecdotes and an informal survey by Billy Penn and Green Philly.'

'The city's overall recycling rate remains at historic lows.'

Did Philadelphia stop mixing recycling and trash? Residents say it continued through spring

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 01 September 2022 - 07:08 PM

#28948 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 September 2022 - 12:41 AM

In a similair vein, Walmart delviers my groceries in plastic bags that are thicker than normal but still just plastic bags. They ask you to resuse them 125 times!. Realistically of course this is not happening.

They deliver 6-10 of these every month! Its greenwashing that is actively harmful

#28949 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 03 September 2022 - 05:06 PM

Woke up at 4am with a fever and have been alternating between fever and chills since then. Going to try getting some food in me, than going back to bed.

#28950 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 03 September 2022 - 09:47 PM

Have you ever had a kind of visceral feeling that you aren't living in the right place? I live in the South East of England, 30 minutes north of London on a fast train. We're in proper suburbia so plenty of trees and parks but you can barely see the night sky and there isn't a mountain or proper lake for a couple of hours drive in all directions. I grew up in the North West - not in the country but an hours drive in a few directions and we were in one National Park or another. I already knew I didn't like the South but I was kind of resigned to it - think Starks and Lannisters - it's not right but it's where I have ended up.

We just got back from a holiday in Northumberland. Crystal clear seas, you can't walk a mile in any direction without tripping over a castle, we could see the Milky Way at night, chips came with white bread and butter without asking. It's ignited some kind of northern madness in me. I want to be a northerner again!! I never didn't want to be but now it's a physical longing - I really viscerally dislike the south! I asked Mr PigDog but he doesn't get it because he's Welsh so hates the entirety of England and had become desensitized to all of it! How do I make it go away? Employment means I can't go back easily!!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28951 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 September 2022 - 11:27 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 03 September 2022 - 09:47 PM, said:

Have you ever had a kind of visceral feeling that you aren't living in the right place? I live in the South East of England, 30 minutes north of London on a fast train. We're in proper suburbia so plenty of trees and parks but you can barely see the night sky and there isn't a mountain or proper lake for a couple of hours drive in all directions. I grew up in the North West - not in the country but an hours drive in a few directions and we were in one National Park or another. I already knew I didn't like the South but I was kind of resigned to it - think Starks and Lannisters - it's not right but it's where I have ended up.

We just got back from a holiday in Northumberland. Crystal clear seas, you can't walk a mile in any direction without tripping over a castle, we could see the Milky Way at night, chips came with white bread and butter without asking. It's ignited some kind of northern madness in me. I want to be a northerner again!! I never didn't want to be but now it's a physical longing - I really viscerally dislike the south! I asked Mr PigDog but he doesn't get it because he's Welsh so hates the entirety of England and had become desensitized to all of it! How do I make it go away? Employment means I can't go back easily!!

I completely understand, but I am the exact opposite. I want to be in the middle of a big city, but alas I’m not. My daughter and I went on holiday to NYC in June, and I just loved it!
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#28952 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 04 September 2022 - 03:36 AM

Light pollution is a bitch, and I think I’d go mad if I couldn’t see the stars. Like when I had to go to Houston for the hurricanes in 2020 it was legit oppressive only being able to see 4 or 5 of the brightest stars/planets.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28953 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 September 2022 - 07:35 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 03 September 2022 - 09:47 PM, said:

I might be at risk of summoning Toby here but the North is automatically superior to the south so I imagine that will be part of it no doubt...

I take it a move to a more rural location is not possible?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#28954 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 September 2022 - 05:56 PM

Only footballers, celebrities and bankers can afford the Hertfordshire country homes that are a sensible distance from my sons school. So even if I could afford it, I'd be moving to a village of wankers.

It's a crime against humanity to not to be able to see the night sky. It's healthy to make us contemplate our own insignificance.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#28955 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 05 September 2022 - 12:03 AM

These Love Bugs are horrible this swarm. I’m now fearing a 2003 lvl swarm this March. Got an electric racket and lighter going to town on the smelly bastards past few days.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#28956 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:43 AM

America has the worst in person customer service I have ever seen. Chat, or on the phone I normally have a great experience. The people who work in stores or restaurants though…

I went to get Cheesecake Factory for dinner since I have a gift card. Must be 50 empty tables and at least 90 min before closing. Guy at reception tells me no seating without a reservation. I actually laughed out loud but I’m not gonna argue. Order take out, sit at a table to wait the 15 min for my order. Waiter comes to take to my order. Also a table of six was seated while I am waiting. Why would you turn away business when the staff is working and the tables are 90% empty.

Sad thing is I decided tonight I’d pay the extra 20% tip to eat in the restaurant as opposed to eating at home and not having to deal with the trash.

#28957 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:53 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 July 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

My marriage is falling apart.

My partner has untreated borderline personality disorder. Her therapist thinks she only has cPTSD, her sister has BPD and addiction issues that nearly ruined her life, and she regularly displays symptoms including explosive unregulated emotions, self harm, unstable relationships with others, and emptiness in a scale that's sometimes gargantuan. She has gotten deep into actual weed addiction problems (5-7 hours a day smoking immediately after work until she goes to bed, getting anxious if she can't do this like on family visits, prioritizing the smoke over daily life activities or seeing people) + is gluing herself to the couch for 6 hours a day watching bad TV for months on end + shutting down all dates, activities with me or with others, and/or talks, then complaining that she's lonely and nobody understands the real her.

Nothing reaches her and communication + following up on things + intimacy on all levels is functionally gone. I can't handle a lifetime of this after years of this.

We had a blow up yesterday in which she tossed some of her drugs, but she wants a divorce and wants me to leave the house.

The person I entered into this relationship with isn't here anymore and doesn't want to be. That's a deeply sad thing to experience over and over.

Years ago, I left her because she was physically abusing me. I left at 2 am bleeding after she attacked me. She put in work to stop physically abusing me and I trusted her and believed in her enough to marry her. But that dynamic moved into other things rather than being addressed and expressed healthily.

We're calling it quits.

She wants me to move out immediately. I can't. I spent a ton of money keeping the house up and paying bills.

She cried for 14 hours last week over not doing her work and talked about wanting to die constantly for 5 hours at me. She tried to bite me last week too. And she's smoking up a storm while being a painfully belligerent ass to me.

I said this last time, yet it's coming up again: there's not really the person I love in there anymore. Rage, avoidance, projection, abuse, and manic eipsides have changed her into someone else entirely.

Here's to me hopefully making it a month here while I save up without getting physically abused or having the police called on me.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#28958 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:02 AM

View Postamphibian, on 06 September 2022 - 12:53 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 21 July 2022 - 12:03 PM, said:

My marriage is falling apart.

My partner has untreated borderline personality disorder. Her therapist thinks she only has cPTSD, her sister has BPD and addiction issues that nearly ruined her life, and she regularly displays symptoms including explosive unregulated emotions, self harm, unstable relationships with others, and emptiness in a scale that's sometimes gargantuan. She has gotten deep into actual weed addiction problems (5-7 hours a day smoking immediately after work until she goes to bed, getting anxious if she can't do this like on family visits, prioritizing the smoke over daily life activities or seeing people) + is gluing herself to the couch for 6 hours a day watching bad TV for months on end + shutting down all dates, activities with me or with others, and/or talks, then complaining that she's lonely and nobody understands the real her.

Nothing reaches her and communication + following up on things + intimacy on all levels is functionally gone. I can't handle a lifetime of this after years of this.

We had a blow up yesterday in which she tossed some of her drugs, but she wants a divorce and wants me to leave the house.

The person I entered into this relationship with isn't here anymore and doesn't want to be. That's a deeply sad thing to experience over and over.

Years ago, I left her because she was physically abusing me. I left at 2 am bleeding after she attacked me. She put in work to stop physically abusing me and I trusted her and believed in her enough to marry her. But that dynamic moved into other things rather than being addressed and expressed healthily.

We're calling it quits.

She wants me to move out immediately. I can't. I spent a ton of money keeping the house up and paying bills.

She cried for 14 hours last week over not doing her work and talked about wanting to die constantly for 5 hours at me. She tried to bite me last week too. And she's smoking up a storm while being a painfully belligerent ass to me.

I said this last time, yet it's coming up again: there's not really the person I love in there anymore. Rage, avoidance, projection, abuse, and manic eipsides have changed her into someone else entirely.

Here's to me hopefully making it a month here while I save up without getting physically abused or having the police called on me.

That's all awful Amphi. Anywhere you can go, friend or fam, to stay for a bit?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28959 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:30 AM

That's seriously heartbreaking, even though it seems to be the right decision. I wish I could just say grit your teeth and get through the month, and maybe/hopefully that does apply, but the violence aspect is very scary. So really just really trust your gut in staying safe, and don't be reluctant to reassess your situation and take any steps you need to take to be safe.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28960 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:49 AM

That sucks Amph. Hope you get through it okay and have help available if you need it.

I got over the flu or whatever I had today. Was feeling good enough by 2pm that I decided to finish the chores I had left for the weekend and then go out and enjoy the rest of the sunny holiday Monday afternoon, and immediately tweaked my back. Think I'll just sit here and not make any sudden movements instead.

Share this topic:

• 1522 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users