• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's messing with your groove?

#25241 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 December 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 14 December 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

The last 3 weeks have been absolutely freaking insane. None of the usual slowing down toward end of year thing.
Nope, it ramped up and was way worse than usual. And in my workplace it's constant lastminute.com with incomplete info, gotta be done NOW etc.

As a nice last day example - us clerks went until almost 1700 today, when everyone else knocked off early before 1300 and simply walked out, we were fixing their fuckups. When you start at 0630 it gets pretty tiring, and except for last Xmas with a 3.5 week break and a few days here and there, that's been my world for the last 2 years. I often remote log in as well after hours from home.

And they're saying next year's tempo will be worse. Which will be great when we just lost 3 clerks out of 8 total - none of whom will be replaced apparently - and our senior clerk goes overseas from the start of next year for over 6 months, then will be coming back to go on long service leave for the rest of the year. That will leave us with 4 out of 8, when we really should have 10. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Did I mention the heat wave we had a week or so ago, followed by the ghastly humidity? Having no aircon makes it really character building, especially when you're dripping with sweat and can't think, and you finally have something to eat around 1400.

So tired all the time.

Ah well, #firstworldproblems I guess.

;) :crybaby: :realmad:

No, its not really a first world problem. This same thing is happening everywhere in different shapes and forms.

Do more with less.

Work longer and harder for lesser compensation.

People leave and are not replaced.

This is everywhere, a concerted effort to squeeze absolutely everything out of the workforce and the consequences are extremely negative. Overwork and lesser pay means greater exhaustion, social isolation, alienation, skyrocketing trends of mental and physical illnesses. This is a quiet plague on modern society and it needs to be fought.

#25242 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:19 AM

View PostAndorion, on 14 December 2018 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 14 December 2018 - 12:00 PM, said:

The last 3 weeks have been absolutely freaking insane. None of the usual slowing down toward end of year thing.
Nope, it ramped up and was way worse than usual. And in my workplace it's constant lastminute.com with incomplete info, gotta be done NOW etc.

As a nice last day example - us clerks went until almost 1700 today, when everyone else knocked off early before 1300 and simply walked out, we were fixing their fuckups. When you start at 0630 it gets pretty tiring, and except for last Xmas with a 3.5 week break and a few days here and there, that's been my world for the last 2 years. I often remote log in as well after hours from home.

And they're saying next year's tempo will be worse. Which will be great when we just lost 3 clerks out of 8 total - none of whom will be replaced apparently - and our senior clerk goes overseas from the start of next year for over 6 months, then will be coming back to go on long service leave for the rest of the year. That will leave us with 4 out of 8, when we really should have 10. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Did I mention the heat wave we had a week or so ago, followed by the ghastly humidity? Having no aircon makes it really character building, especially when you're dripping with sweat and can't think, and you finally have something to eat around 1400.

So tired all the time.

Ah well, #firstworldproblems I guess.

;) :crybaby: :realmad:

No, its not really a first world problem. This same thing is happening everywhere in different shapes and forms.

Do more with less.

Work longer and harder for lesser compensation.

People leave and are not replaced.

This is everywhere, a concerted effort to squeeze absolutely everything out of the workforce and the consequences are extremely negative. Overwork and lesser pay means greater exhaustion, social isolation, alienation, skyrocketing trends of mental and physical illnesses. This is a quiet plague on modern society and it needs to be fought.

Quite right. The biggest cause of stress and ill health in our family is from work - the increasing workload and pressure put on as people aren't replaced, and fewer and fewer take on all their work. And the more frequently added overtime, extra shifts and less time for family stuff. When we are off we spend time catching up with washing and food shopping and trying to maintain the house. Taking away time used to relax and get away from work at the end of the day or the weekend is starting to take its toll.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#25243 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:31 PM

Tiste?
Tiste?

Where are you?

You mouthy Mancunian fuck?

#25244 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

I have nothing to say ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25245 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 December 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

I have nothing to say ;)

What is even there to say?

#25246 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:49 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 December 2018 - 03:00 PM, said:

I have nothing to say ;)

Someone please mark this momentous occasion in the calendar.

:crybaby:

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 17 December 2018 - 08:50 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25247 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:02 PM

Something something soccer?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#25248 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:05 PM

I refuse to say ...

... anything except "Go Bayern!"

:crybaby:

EDIT: Jeez what a depressing ladder. 4 complete arsehole teams and Spurs above.
Aside from a Man U miracle I can only hope for a massive Spurs run then. ;)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 18 December 2018 - 12:09 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#25249 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

View PostBriar King, on 18 December 2018 - 12:54 AM, said:

I do not like what’s happening. Eyeing those XX on the shelves as I shop.

We have no snacks left.

Don't buy any more. She wants them she'll have to buy them.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#25250 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:53 AM

Well, I asked for a Man U miracle but not quite this way. Still, if it works I'll happily take it:

https://www.news.com...b2a35050d00c8ac

#25251 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 18 December 2018 - 10:53 AM, said:

Well, I asked for a Man U miracle but not quite this way. Still, if it works I'll happily take it:

https://www.news.com...b2a35050d00c8ac

I'm thinking of applying for this job in fairness. I live nearby, I love the team, I probably couldn't do any worse and the payout when I eventually get fired is immense!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#25252 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

On a slight tangent away from the football itself, it will be nice to not have to sit through his miserable face at interviews and press conferences.

Obviously it hasn't ended spectacularly, but you were the manager of Man Utd for goodness sake. Cheer up a bit!

I mean, Benitez manages to be pretty chipper and look at the mess he's managing (I'm a Newcastle fan, I can say that. Anybody else I'll fight ;) )

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 18 December 2018 - 02:44 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#25253 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 December 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm a Newcastle fan

But you seemed so nice ... ;)

#25254 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:37 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 18 December 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 18 December 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

I'm a Newcastle fan

But you seemed so nice ... ;)

Everyone has a few flaws, y'know? :crybaby:
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#25255 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:20 PM

Last night, I read my daughter LOVE YOU FOREVER by Robert Munsch for the first time. I had never read it at all before this, and had no idea it was so unbelievably sad.

It reduced me to an utter pile of sobbing muck right in front of her.

And then my daughter, bless her little heart, said "Daddy sad?" and got me some kleenex to dry my eyes...and then she proceeded to hug me and not let go saying "Daddy, it's okay" over and over.

My gods, what a terribly sad book. How did I not know this going in? It's worse than THE GIVING TREE for "feels" level.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25256 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 07:36 PM

Boo, Penny Marshal died. Director of BIG, AWAKENINGS, and A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN amongst others. She was only 75 (Diabetes).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25257 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:50 PM

The Giving Tree is a passive aggressive bonanza.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#25258 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:29 AM

OK, this is making me mad. One of my colleagues has complained about another of my colleagues to my boss, who is asking me what he should be doing about the situation.

How is this my business?

#25259 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 December 2018 - 02:29 AM

If your boss needs you to tell him what to do, that means you're the boss of your boss. Fire him for gossiping at work.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25260 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:41 AM

Lol, I wish I could! Its really irritating and I think this is pretty unprofessional.

Share this topic:

• 1525 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users