• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#17981 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:40 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 09 April 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

My progress with cochlear implants is amazing. I can have phone conversations no problem. Find I am not really relying on captioning anymore on some TV programs, which is crazy. Listening to music, especially anything with distortion, is still a work in progress - but there is noticeable progress. Speech recognition test scores going from with hearing aids before surgery, day after turn on, one month and now three months were:
Easy test 14%-67%-95%-didn't bother with it, it was too easy for me
Hard test 8%-37%-78%-95%

The astounding part to me is that in quiet settings (work, audie's office, during testing, etc.) I don't need to make any conscious effort to understand most people now. I know I am making some extra effort, as days were I have lots of meetings I am mentally exhausted at the end of the day. But, nowhere near the amount of effort it took to speech read even three years ago before my hearing dove off again. Even in an ideal situation speech reading is really hard work, that I can just sit back and hear things instead is mind blowing.

Really enjoying reading your updates on this. Glad you enjoying having your mind blown!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#17982 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:09 AM

Did you guys see that flight on Mars?

Posted Image

That's a watershed moment for sure. I sorta think we should be putting that brain power to use in solving our climate problems down here, but that was something behold.

Now the downside is, an advanced alien intelligence that has been observing us will probably take that as the step in our progress as the moment they need to intervene and wipe us out, lest we continue and become a threat.

#17983 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:43 AM

I've been so swamped with work I havent been on here in like 2 weeks, which is awesome, and also sucks.

Back to work.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#17984 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 21 April 2021 - 02:28 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 14 April 2021 - 07:40 PM, said:

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 09 April 2021 - 02:46 AM, said:

My progress with cochlear implants is amazing. I can have phone conversations no problem. Find I am not really relying on captioning anymore on some TV programs, which is crazy. Listening to music, especially anything with distortion, is still a work in progress - but there is noticeable progress. Speech recognition test scores going from with hearing aids before surgery, day after turn on, one month and now three months were:
Easy test 14%-67%-95%-didn't bother with it, it was too easy for me
Hard test 8%-37%-78%-95%

The astounding part to me is that in quiet settings (work, audie's office, during testing, etc.) I don't need to make any conscious effort to understand most people now. I know I am making some extra effort, as days were I have lots of meetings I am mentally exhausted at the end of the day. But, nowhere near the amount of effort it took to speech read even three years ago before my hearing dove off again. Even in an ideal situation speech reading is really hard work, that I can just sit back and hear things instead is mind blowing.

Really enjoying reading your updates on this. Glad you enjoying having your mind blown!

Glad people are enjoying these. I do have one caution and one regret with the implants, for anyone who might look at them at some point in the future.

The caution is that my speech recognition scores are much higher than typical. According to the audiologist, my three month scores were close to the average for three years after turn on. I think this has something to do with how good a speech reader I was and how long I had stable, but barely usable hearing. The regret is that I wasn't able to have it done sooner. The only sounds that really sound natural are ones I can hear with the opposite ear, usually while wearing a hearing aid. Between wait lists and Covid surgery cancelations, I probably lost 200-300Hz of natural hearing between when I was eligible for surgery and when I had it. So, if anyone needs this, have it done as soon as possible. I think sounds will become more natural over time, but it could be a long process now.

#17985 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 21 April 2021 - 09:53 PM

I don't really understand the science of implants but it is amazing what the brain can do. It must be so interesting testing yourself and being able to measure the change.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#17986 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 April 2021 - 09:53 PM, said:

I don't really understand the science of implants but it is amazing what the brain can do. It must be so interesting testing yourself and being able to measure the change.

Now? They let you hear.

In ten years? You stand around in trenchcoats looking moody and say stuff like "My vision is augmented" or "I never asked for this".

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17987 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:32 AM

I just saw "the science of implants" and my mind went in a totally different direction ... :blink:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17988 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 April 2021 - 07:54 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 April 2021 - 08:32 AM, said:

I just saw "the science of implants" and my mind went in a totally different direction ... :blink:

Insert any Bender quote you want here

#17989 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:12 AM

The powers that be willing, and the tyranny of jinx allowing, I believe I just did my last law school (of Zoom) assignment today.

All hail!
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#17990 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 April 2021 - 10:37 AM

Congrats!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17991 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:08 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 27 April 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

The powers that be willing, and the tyranny of jinx allowing, I believe I just did my last law school (of Zoom) assignment today.

All hail!

Hey nice work, well done!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17992 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:42 PM

All hail!

That's a long road you've reached the end of. Congrats!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17993 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 April 2021 - 05:50 AM

All hail!

Congrats! There's getting to be enough of us now we could start a firm!

Have you given any thoughts to what fields you like?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#17994 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

Imperial advisor, to keep the rest of you scumbags off the block

#17995 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

It's tempting to do ILEX but... man, I don't know. 3 year commitment.

#17996 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:18 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 April 2021 - 05:50 AM, said:

All hail!

Congrats! There's getting to be enough of us now we could start a firm!

Have you given any thoughts to what fields you like?

Thanks! I have to do a one year period as an articled student now and I am working in-house with an insurance defence legal team. I generally like litigation (both civil & criminal) and I think I'll keep doing it after I finish articling.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#17997 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

I discovered early I prefer civil to criminal, or with tax I'm somewhere inbetween the two, but I liked the less personal aspect of it. I did criminal cases when I worked for Customs (drug smugling, that sort of thing) and there were a lot of emotions involved in those cases. A lot of crying and a lot of rage. Threats, cries for help. People dont get as worked up over taxes and restructuring of assets. Or EU competition rules. No one has yet to threatened my life over the classification of an asset transfer.

I guess it depends on how good you are at distancing yourself from the work you do. I am not great at that I found.

#17998 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 28 April 2021 - 08:37 AM, said:

I discovered early I prefer civil to criminal, or with tax I'm somewhere inbetween the two, but I liked the less personal aspect of it. I did criminal cases when I worked for Customs (drug smugling, that sort of thing) and there were a lot of emotions involved in those cases. A lot of crying and a lot of rage. Threats, cries for help. People dont get as worked up over taxes and restructuring of assets. Or EU competition rules. No one has yet to threatened my life over the classification of an asset transfer.

I guess it depends on how good you are at distancing yourself from the work you do. I am not great at that I found.

My experience with criminal law is doing a lot of minor cases as an student volunteer (small thefts, assaults, harassment, etc.) and my clients have honestly been more pleasant than the civil files I worked on.

Though I have gone court watching in serious criminal cases and the emotional toll they take (even on me as a disinterested observer) was significant. At the end of the day though, I am going to work wherever someone pays me money at this stage of my career. I will be picky once I have a few years under my belt and some actual legal skills.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#17999 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:51 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 28 April 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 28 April 2021 - 08:37 AM, said:

My experience with criminal law is doing a lot of minor cases as an student volunteer (small thefts, assaults, harassment, etc.) and my clients have honestly been more pleasant than the civil files I worked on.

Though I have gone court watching in serious criminal cases and the emotional toll they take (even on me as a disinterested observer) was significant. At the end of the day though, I am going to work wherever someone pays me money at this stage of my career. I will be picky once I have a few years under my belt and some actual legal skills.

Hah, yeah. It's hard to be picky right away. I wrote my masters on a (tiny) aspect of shipping contracts, and ended up working for Customs as my first proper job. And now I do taxes. Weird trajectories is the norm I suppose, and it's surprising how many fields can turn out to be interesting once you're on the inside. A friend of mine wrote his thesis on consumer law, and ended up becoming one of the foremost experts on employee sick leave.

#18000 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 April 2021 - 04:16 PM

Man, you know it's going to be a great day when it's a Friday (weekend bitches!) and the weather is going to be so nice - clear and sunny with temps tickling the 80s °F. And you look up towards the mountains and see snow, and not just snow capping the tallest peaks but snow still visible in the foothills laying in the dappled shady areas. Life is beautiful. Don't you just love America?

Share this topic:

• 964 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users