• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#17581 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 May 2020 - 04:15 AM

Weirdly it happens after the pandemic and not before but I’m starting to finally make some progress in the job from.

Had one final round interview, should hear back soon
Two first rounds
And into a second round with a tech start up in LA

#17582 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:46 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 20 May 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

Just did 5km of jogging/fast walking with the dog ... and then felt so good at the end we tacked another 1.5km on. Just under 40 minutes. Whew! Shower time.

It's so nice and quiet when you do it after 10pm.

That's good going. Aiming to get going with the running again while I'm injury free and have some time.

New barefoot running shoes came today - they are awesome, feel like a second skin, without any restriction to movement and great grips. Have yet to test them over distance though - also zero ankle support if I need it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17583 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:01 PM

Oh just got my copy of 'The Art of Star Wars Rebels' - it's just beautiful! Love it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#17584 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

Lockdown and decent weather means my garden is looking badass this year. And I don't have to feel bad that I'm not taking the sprog anywhere while I concentrate on it. Bliss. I can't believe I am here mentally as I was on the edge the first couple of weeks of this. I feel so bad for people without outside space.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#17585 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

View PostTraveller, on 23 May 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Just did 5km of jogging/fast walking with the dog ... and then felt so good at the end we tacked another 1.5km on. Just under 40 minutes. Whew! Shower time.

That's good going. Aiming to get going with the running again while I'm injury free and have some time.

New barefoot running shoes came today - they are awesome, feel like a second skin, without any restriction to movement and great grips. Have yet to test them over distance though - also zero ankle support if I need it.

Like I said earlier - take it very slowly and easily. Walk around the house/lawn with them first, and then work your way up to firmer surfaces and longer duration before doing any kind of impact speeds ie jogging and above.
I worked with a guy who got a pair, then went out and did 10km and wound up fucking half the ligaments and tendons in both ankles and feet.
I'm sure there are websites which will give you some sort of "ease into it" program.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17586 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:36 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 24 May 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 23 May 2020 - 06:46 PM, said:

Like I said earlier - take it very slowly and easily. Walk around the house/lawn with them first, and then work your way up to firmer surfaces and longer duration before doing any kind of impact speeds ie jogging and above.
I worked with a guy who got a pair, then went out and did 10km and wound up fucking half the ligaments and tendons in both ankles and feet.
I'm sure there are websites which will give you some sort of "ease into it" program.

Thanks, I'm just running on the playing field while the kids play, nothing too serious yet. Did a few laps today with no ill effects, just grass running so low impact. 10k, ha I wish!

#17587 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:10 AM

New mechanical keyboard is giving me way too much joy.

I'm typing this post mostly to hear the sound it makes as I type. It's going to drive my family insane though.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#17588 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:21 PM

Refrigerator in the garage (aka Beer Fridge) is stocked with beers. Weekend project break time is a go!

#17589 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:24 AM

So I'm pretty sure I was borderline depressed before the pandemic hit. Or probably not even borderline. I'd been miserable and exhausted for ages, we had a terrible 2019. Many of the Christmas cards we got last Christmas said something along the lines of "At least 2020 has to be better". Cue global pandemic. I thought I was going to have a breakdown in April but the fog lifted a few weeks ago. The problem I've been having for a few years is that I like all of the aspects of my life but I can't handle keeping them all going all at once. Life suddenly seems a lot more simple and I think it has lifted the cloud. I feel like myself again, it's bloody brilliant. How to keep it going?

#17590 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

Speak with a life coach?

#17591 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:16 AM

Whatever changed - keep doing it?

Good to hear you're feeling better though.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17592 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Thanks, me too! I can't really put my finger on what has changed apart from a lot of the "noise" of every day life has gone away. I'm not sure how to prevent that coming back in as real life resumes. I'll damn well try though.

#17593 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:40 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 29 May 2020 - 08:24 AM, said:

So I'm pretty sure I was borderline depressed before the pandemic hit. Or probably not even borderline. I'd been miserable and exhausted for ages, we had a terrible 2019. Many of the Christmas cards we got last Christmas said something along the lines of "At least 2020 has to be better". Cue global pandemic. I thought I was going to have a breakdown in April but the fog lifted a few weeks ago. The problem I've been having for a few years is that I like all of the aspects of my life but I can't handle keeping them all going all at once. Life suddenly seems a lot more simple and I think it has lifted the cloud. I feel like myself again, it's bloody brilliant. How to keep it going?

Glad you are feeling better Mez, I think the expert consensus on how to get out from under the cloud is keep doing what you are doing which keeps you out of the cloud. In terms of keeping it going some form of therapy/coaching that helps you address what was causing the cloud in the first place, though what form that therapy takes can vary wildly.

Totally understand the liking all the things you are doing, but somehow all of them together becomes to much, and then not being able to do things like you want/enjoy them as much. Sometimes things just have to be dropped, but that's a hard calculus.

#17594 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:25 PM

Lovely to hear you're feeling better :)
I wonder how much of it is the quieter pace of life the pandemic has enforced? Are there things in the general "life noise" that you could continue to do without once it isn't enforced?

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#17595 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

View PostImperial Historian, on 29 May 2020 - 12:40 PM, said:

Totally understand the liking all the things you are doing, but somehow all of them together becomes to much, and then not being able to do things like you want/enjoy them as much. Sometimes things just have to be dropped, but that's a hard calculus.

As someone whose wife is very much the "take on too much all the time and stress out/depression cloud" type of person, this above info from IH is very accurate. Keeping things simple means very distinctly keeping things simple. Because you have a family and young one at home, you're plate is already like 70% full of daily stuff, so adding too much to the other side of it is going to cause you stress even if it's stuff you like to do. Once we paired down what we both do in our lives to less things, life became easier.

My own way may not help you as I find not every can do it, but I focus on one main thing to look forward to and enjoy at a time. Like I'll look forward to a movie, TV show, or book, and I keep that in the back of my head whenever I'm doing other stuff. Like "My reward for all this banal daily life stuff, like doing laundry, cooking dinner, trying to get my kids to eat, brush their teeth ect., is to get back at that one thing I enjoy right now." and then that one thing is done, I find something else to focus on. Rinse and repeat. It's worked for me for years.

Also, I like doing dishes. Like love doing dishes. I find it insanely cathartic/therapeutic. So at the very least my wife will never have to do dishes in her life (which pleases her as she hates it) unless he wants to. I give her the stink eye when she tries to do them (she's used to being helpful, can't blame her) and she usually laughs and says "Oh fine, I'll leave it to you."

Glad you're feeling better Mez. Keep it up as best you can!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 29 May 2020 - 02:07 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17596 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:17 AM

Snotface was just awarded Student of Merit for her last two reserve officer training courses and received the Sword of Honour for being top cadet overall.
So now she's commissioned as a LT.

I still won't salute her though. :p

#17597 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:18 PM

Lost another kg for a total of 7 in the usa

#17598 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:38 PM

You're never going to fit in if you keep that up, Cause. Real Americans have early warning signs of type 2 dibetus.

#17599 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

You're never going to fit in if you keep that up, Cause. Real Americans have early warning signs of type 2 dibetus.

Early warning signs? Real Americans have to deal with Type 2 'Beetus every day, because we put sugar in fucking everything.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#17600 User is online   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:38 PM

View PostObdigore, on 02 June 2020 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 02 June 2020 - 05:38 PM, said:

Early warning signs? Real Americans have to deal with Type 2 'Beetus every day, because we put sugar in fucking everything.

And yet your food sucks!!!

Hershey’s is a war crime, your chips are bland! Your candy excepting mike and Ike’s tastes like plastic (I’m looking at you twirlers). Okay your ice cream is god damn amazing!

Still on the whole this is good for me!

God bless the USA

Share this topic:

• 966 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users