• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats making you happy right now

#17881 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:44 PM

Skunked beer. Shit pisses me off. Only affecting one 6-pack it seems. We shall see.

#17882 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:18 PM

Got a puppy.
Error: Signature not valid

#17883 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 February 2021 - 08:34 PM

What kind of dog?

#17884 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 February 2021 - 03:09 AM

@paran falcon gonna be party hearty mode in Bradyville.

#17885 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:14 AM

Went for a run! It was slow and only lasted 20 minutes but I got out there and did it, after months of hardly any exercise.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17886 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:46 PM

So ... 500, 600 metres then?

;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#17887 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 February 2021 - 11:14 AM, said:

Went for a run! It was slow and only lasted 20 minutes but I got out there and did it, after months of hardly any exercise.

Don’t they make you exercise for work?

On a scale of nick frost to Simon peg in hot fuzz which kind of police officer (not man) are you?

#17888 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 07 February 2021 - 08:18 PM, said:

Got a puppy.

Pictures!!

#17889 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:16 AM

View PostCause, on 10 February 2021 - 05:03 PM, said:

Don’t they make you exercise for work?

On a scale of nick frost to Simon peg in hot fuzz which kind of police officer (not man) are you?

Much closer to Nick Frost haha and yes I'm meant to stay fit but with shifts and all I'm always so pooped it's hard to motivate one's self.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#17890 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:50 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 11 February 2021 - 08:16 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 10 February 2021 - 05:03 PM, said:

Don't they make you exercise for work?

Much closer to Nick Frost haha and yes I'm meant to stay fit but with shifts and all I'm always so pooped it's hard to motivate one's self.

Gizza cornetto.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#17891 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:06 PM

Am I too late to the party with the sea shanty obsession? Have we moved on to the next thing? Hope I'm not too late with posting this.

If we are onto the next thing, what is it? I'm guessing it's some abbreviated TikTok dance steps from a cheerleader routine?

[EDIT] eeek! is the next thing something called the "gorilla glue challenge"? I just saw something about it. I'm too scared to know what it is, sounds dumber than the Tide pod challenge. Without much detail, can someone clue me in on what it is?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 11 February 2021 - 11:22 PM

#17892 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:03 PM

'researchers have used an IBM quantum computer to explore an overlooked area of physics, and have challenged 100-year-old notions about information at the quantum level.

The rules of quantum physics[...] use mathematical operators called Hermitian Hamiltonians. Hermitian operators have underpinned quantum physics for nearly 100 years, but recently, theorists have realized that it is possible to extend its fundamental equations to the use of Hermitian operators that are not Hermitian. The new equations describe a universe with its own peculiar set of rules: For example, by looking in the mirror and reversing the direction of time, you should see the same version of you as in the actual world. In their new paper, a team of researchers [...] used a quantum computer to create a toy universe that behaves according to these new rules.

The researchers made qubits, the part of the quantum computer that carries out calculations, behave according to the new rules of non-Hermitian quantum mechanics. They demonstrated experimentally a couple of exciting results that are forbidden by regular Hermitian quantum mechanics. [...] applying operations to the qubits did not conserve quantum information—a behavior so fundamental to standard quantum theory that it results in currently unsolved problems like Stephen Hawking's black hole information paradox. [...]

Entanglement is a type of correlation that appears between qubits, as if they have a magic connection that makes them behave in sync with each other. [...] Under regular quantum physics, it is not possible to alter the degree of entanglement between two particles by tampering with one of the particles on its own. However, in non-Hermitian quantum mechanics, the researchers were able to alter the level of entanglement of the qubits by manipulating just one of them, a result that is expressly off-limits in regular quantum physics.

"The exciting thing about these results is that quantum computers are now developed enough to start using them for testing unconventional ideas that have been only mathematical so far," said Sorin Paraoanu. "With the present work, Einstein's 'spooky action at a distance' becomes even spookier. And although we understand very well what is going on, it still gives you the shivers."

[...] Several novel optical or microwave-based devices developed in recent times do seem to behave according to the new rules. The present work opens the way to simulating these devices on quantum computers.'

https://phys.org/new...cs-quantum.html

An expert on computational linear algebra told me iirc that the applications of quantum computing to linear algebra problems would be severely limited by the restriction to Hermitian operators. So without that restriction....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 15 February 2021 - 08:04 PM

#17893 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:10 PM

Experiences and how we process them are relative aren't they. Yesterday, shoveling snow while still overcast and some snowflakes still falling and temps -10 °F it was absolutely miserably cold. Like dangerously so. Cut to today, temp is 0 °F, only 10 degree difference, but it is sunny and it feels almost tropical.

#17894 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 February 2021 - 01:32 AM

Awww yuuur! Time to break out the winter shorts! Over night lows gonna be above zero for the first time since last Thursday. Also, I don't know if you guys are into the fun snow and ice car hi jinks and get your car fishtailing and sideways up a lonely street, but I've been having a blast with the conditions. Safety first of course, and only when no other vehicles are on the street.

Help Me Jack Pepsi!

Posted Image

#17895 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

'Scientists have used cutting-edge research in quantum computation and quantum technology to pioneer a radical new approach to determining how our Universe works at its most fundamental level.

[...]

"For more than a hundred years, physicists have struggled to determine how the two foundational theories of science, quantum theory and general relativity, which respectively describe microscopic and macroscopic phenomena, are unified into a single overarching theory of nature.

During this time, they have come up with two fundamentally contrasting approaches, called 'quantum gravity' and 'classical gravity'. However, a complete lack of experimental evidence means that physicists do not know which approach the overarching theory actually takes, our research provides an experimental approach to solving this."

[...] a way to test experimentally that there is quantum not classical gravity. The suggested experiment would involve cooling billions of atoms in a millimeter-sized spherical trap to extremely low temperatures such that they enter a new phase of matter, called a Bose-Einstein condensate, and start to behave like a single large, quantum atom. A magnetic field is then applied to this "atom" so that it feels only its own gravitational pull. With this all in place, if the single gravitating atom demonstrates the key ingredient needed for quantum computation, which is curiously associated with "negative probability," nature must take the quantum gravity approach.

This proposed experiment uses current technology, involves just a single quantum system, the gravitating "atom," and does not rely on assumptions concerning the locality of the interaction, making it simpler than previous approaches and potentially expediating the delivery of the first experimental test of quantum gravity. Physicists would then, after more than a hundred years of research, finally have information on the true overarching, fundamental theory of nature.

Dr. Marios Christodoulou, from the University of Hong Kong who was part of the collaboration, added: "This research is particularly exciting as the experiment proposed would also connect with the more philosophical idea that the universe is behaving as an immense quantum computer that is calculating itself, by demonstrating that quantum fluctuations of spacetime are a vast natural resource for quantum computation."'

https://phys.org/new...s-universe.html

#17896 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 February 2021 - 03:42 AM

'Light that kills bacteria: Alternative to antibiotics

The World Health Organisation is convinced that one of the greatest threats to humanity is the rapidly growing resistance of bacteria to antibiotics due to their uncontrolled use. One Russian scientific project[...] offers a possible solution to this problem.

Scientists believe that one solution to this global challenge could be the development of antibacterial photodynamic therapy (aPDT). According to numerous studies, pathogens cannot develop resistance to this type of treatment.

The antimicrobial effect of aPDT is based on the use of special substances, photosensitisers, which are injected into the body and irradiated with light using a special emitter in the course of treatment. The resulting light energy is transmitted to oxygen molecules and transforms them into an active form that fights the infection.

[...] synthetic polycationic bacteriochlorins as photosensitisers. Unlike most antibiotics that target only one type of bacteria, these compounds have a universal effect in aPDT treatment. Scientists believe that this will eliminate the need to identify the type of bacterial threat in clinical practice, thereby saving time and resources.

According to the WHO's guidelines, any drug that reduces the number of active pathogen cells by at least 103 times is considered to be an effective antibacterial agent. [...] the bacteriochlorins they use exceed this figure by at least 10 times.

[...]

First of all, this efficiency is achieved due to the potent ability of bacteriochlorins to absorb light and subsequently transfer energy to the oxygen present in the body. The rapid destruction of bacteria is ensured by the effect of the active form of oxygen "charged" with energy from the photosensitiser.

[...] bacteriochlorins effectively absorb light in the near-infrared range. The scientists explained that this region of the spectrum contains the so-called "transparency window of biological tissues," meaning that light of this wavelength can penetrate much deeper into the tissues of the body.

[...] ""The experiments showed high efficiency of bacteriochlorins against strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria [...] This greatly increases our chances of success in real clinical trials," [...]

"These compounds can already be used at the current stage of testing for technical purposes—for example, for effective surface disinfection in hospitals. We hope to subsequently develop a medicinal product based on bacteriochlorins for use in human and veterinary medicine"'

https://phys.org/new...ntibiotics.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 February 2021 - 03:42 AM

#17897 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:03 PM

No love for Mars???

#17898 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 18 February 2021 - 10:51 PM

We watched the live NASA feed. Woo hoo. Loved the tension while they waited to hear it had survived the landing. I never know which way I want these things to go - the scientific achievement of success and excitement for what comes next or the excruciating viewing of peoples professional hopes being crushed in real time?
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#17899 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 February 2021 - 11:41 AM

Now have WiFi in the workshop.
No more same 2 downloaded playlists playing on repeat when I'm working!

#17900 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

Just got back from an excellent evening hanging out with Lucifer's Heaven, Shiara, Silencer, Razjinsar and a bunch of others for Lucy's birthday.

:D

Shit - I just realised no photos were taken. Sorry. :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 February 2021 - 03:16 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 965 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users