Malazan Empire: The Errant - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Errant

#41 Guest_mikepotter_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:40 PM

interesting point. I keep getting bogged down in the idea of luck, maybe if u think along the lines of balance makes more sense

let the rivers run red

#42 User is offline   graller 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:34 PM

I guess I misread that - I saw the empty hold as the one that was supposed to have come into being in Lether....the House of Death.

#43 Guest_Lyanna Stark_*

Posted 22 March 2004 - 03:55 AM

Scabandari,

I was under the impression that Oponn at least was/were unaligned. There is nothing as far as I remember pointing towards the Errant being aligned with a house either. Only that he is aspected with luck, and the "push and pull".

Lord Baelish,

Hi there you chinchilla molesting old scoundrel. Posted Image

How can I leave her? Where would I start?
Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart. My land's only borders lie around my heart.

#44 Guest_Altahn_*

Posted 18 March 2004 - 05:20 AM

I do not think Krul or Oponn. Someone new. Maybe the Forkrul Assail reference was to this guy being an arbitrator, a God of justice or destiny (the Lethari would LOVE a God of destiny), if he was his power might well manifest like Paran's, not overt, but a blessing, approval. A master of the deck but for the holds, who then assesnded? possible, as he doesn't seem to have a realm.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

#45 Guest_Lady Envy_*

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:32 PM

I thought the Empty old was Shadow too.IIRC Dancer and Kellaved have claimed only a fragment of Shadow and the throne is unoccupied but guarded by Tiste Andii on the island - the betrayers in the shadow of the empty throne

#46 User is offline   4092 

• Corporal

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:55 AM

sorry didn't eman that by omni..like...seems to be powerful, able to do a bit of stuff. Maybe it's just the absence of warrens.

#47 Guest_Lyanna Stark_*

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:59 AM

quote:
the azath etc, the empty hold possibly relates to the assail, as to those who will say that forkrull assail still exist feather witches second vision sais that the empty hold has become resently crowded.

Well, hmm, I was thinking more along the lines that it would become the Hold of Death, since it had been absent in Lether before. Plus, I thought the Forkrul Assail were as unaligned as you could be?

For the heart with no companion, For the soul without a king.
For the prima ballerina, Who cannot dance to anything

#48 Guest_Kamek_*

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:52 AM

I was just about to ask the very same. I too got the impression that the Letherii had simply become confused at some point and that the Errant was in fact the Forkrul Assail, only to have that turned around at the end!

Perhaps the power of belief has forced him into being? I don't like that idea, it doesn't seem to fit into Erikson's universe, but maybe.

I did wonder if he was K'rul, especially when the Guaridan said something like, "I know you. By all your names." (paraphrased), but I'm pretty damn certain (but not entirely certain...sigh, see the timeline topic) this book overlaps with Memories of Ice and we have yet to see any God with the ability to maifest in 2 places at once.

Plus the Errant doesn't seem to have the same powers as K'rul, who seems to take a more direct hand in things.

#49 User is offline   cowl 

• Corporal

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:20 AM

yeah but the magic 'time' has been frozen in that area so K'rul wouldn't have necisarily have dissapeared like he did everywhere else.

Not that i believe they are the same person.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"Outside of a dog a book is a mans' best friend. Inside of a dog its' too dark to read." Groucho Marx

#50 Guest_son of darkness_*

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:11 AM

I just finished the book, and I had the distinct impression that the Errant might be Oponn. Although some of the counter theories I just read here are convincing.

Here is one scene especially, that I haven't seen anyone mention yet:

p. 733 of Canadian MMPB - Turudal Brizad: "So much of my life, Brys Beddict - here in this palace - can be characterized as fulfilling the role of objective observer in the proceedings of state, and in the domestic travails upon which, it must be said, my fortune depends. Rather, depended. In this, I am no different from my counterpart, the First Concubine. We were present as symbols, after all. And so we behaved accordingly".

It could be a stretch, but I thought that this might hint that the First Concubine (his 'counterpart') could be the female half of Oponn.

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Dakkareth said:

The pack was imprisoned in the Azath; the Huntress came back, because some stupid mortals were messing with her pets; Mael simply does whatever he wants. The Errant however, may well be restricted to Letheras because he has worshippers only there.

And there's no such thing as omnipotency in the Malazan world. There are gods of terribly power and the mortals killing them. Absoluteness has no place there.
How sad... appears my faith would have no place in the malazan world... My God could pwn the lot of them. :)

The first concubine was the Errants counterpart? There doesn't appear to be anywhere that proves that...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

or disproves...

#53 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

Well wouldn't it be better in Crazy Theories then? :) I can't see it myself, I mean it really doesn't make sense. Nisall dies for a start... Turud doesn't.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#54 Guest_Merkur_*

Posted 04 December 2005 - 05:26 AM

Nice thought, really, but i do not think so.
Errant may be the ancient form of Oponn, but obviously he/she takes on both aspects of the form since it is clear his gender was not ever clear in centuries before and, in fact, nowadays, too.
His quote regarding Nisall means their representative role as consorts.

#55 Guest_Salamander Cake_*

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:33 PM

doesn't the apostrophe have something to do with once being alive and now they are dead? I seem to remember Tool saying something to the effect that they were called the T' was only added later? if this is the case K'rul and ForKRUL doesn't apply right?

I aslo think that the errant is an older version of Oponn since Mael seemed to be very familiar with him.

#56 User is offline   Jheral 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 May 2006 - 12:30 PM

Salamander Cake said:

doesn't the apostrophe have something to do with once being alive and now they are dead? I seem to remember Tool saying something to the effect that they were called the T' was only added later? if this is the case K'rul and ForKRUL doesn't apply right?

Besides, K'rul is most likely Path-Shaper of the Eleint Hold, and as such, he already has another position in the Deck of Holds, meaning that he can't be the Errant anyway. Assuming, that is, that one can only hold one position at a time.

#57 Guest_Maknavox_*

Posted 27 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

In the imass language everything broken has a T' infront of its name.

I think T'lan Imass means Broken Dead/Trapped/Chained Imass.

#58 User is offline   CS227 

• Recruit

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

View Postcauthon, on 05 April 2004 - 03:28 AM, said:

I don't think the Elder Gods have their own warrens, as these seem to bee K'rul's veins.

Elder Gods draw power from holds. I think... if I’m wrong please let me know.

#59 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:57 AM

Technically, I suspect some Elder Gods draw from the source, not the erigation systems we know as holds or houses.

#60 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

I belive the old gods, before they became gods, they used something they called Wanderings. It's mentioned in MoI
And then they were worshipped and took the roles as gods or guardians over the holds.
And then K'rul created the warrens..

This post has been edited by Not Noto: 14 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users