• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Errant

#61 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:50 PM

Not quite sure that is revealed by TTH so I was speaking around the topic.

#62 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Ok. This is in MoI, Draconus to Paran inside Dragnipur.

"Hear me, please. Before the Houses, there were Holds. Before the Holds, there was wandering..."

And some explanation. Page 972

#63 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

The name/title you used isn't

#64 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Fixed 😊

#65 User is offline   WhiskeyJohn 

• Corporal

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:29 AM

More explanation comes later in MT. But yeah, holds before Warren.

#66 User is offline   Pherikus Nul 

• Mott Irregular

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:20 PM

To add, I believe the Dolmen were before Holds. In MT we get the explanation of the Dolmen as rootless and wandering:

"Udinaas, like all Letherii, knew the sequences and the forms. First would come the three Fulcra known as the Realm Forgers. Fire, the silent scream of light, the very swirl of the stars themselves. Then Dolmen, bleak and rootless, drifting aimless in the void. And into the path of these two forces, the Errant. Bearer of its own unknowable laws, it would draw Fire and Dolmen into fierce wars. Vast fields of destructions, instance upon instance of mutual annihilation. But occasionally, rarely, there would be peace made between the two contestants. And Fire would bathe but not burn, and Dolmen would surrender its wandering ways, and so find root.

The Errant would then weave its mysterious skein, forging the Holds themselves. Ice. Eleint. Azath. Beast. And into their midst would emerge the remaining Fulcra. Axe, Knuckles, Blade, the Pack, Shapefinder and White Crow."

Chapter One of 'Midnight Tides'

and

"'Before Houses there were Holds,' Paran continued with remorseless logic. 'Both fixed, both stationary. Settled. Before settlement … there was wandering. House from Hold, Hold from … a gate in motion, ceaseless motion …' He squeezed shut his eyes."

Chapter Four of 'Memories of Ice'

and

"'Draconus—'

'Hear me, please. Before the Houses, there were Holds. Before Holds, there was wandering. Your own words, yes? But you were both right and wrong. Not wandering, but migration. A seasonal round – predictable, cyclical. What seemed aimless, random, was in truth fixed, bound to its own laws. A truth – a power — I failed to recognize.'

'So the shattering of Dragnipur will release the Gate once more – to its migration.'"

Chapter 23 of 'Memories of Ice'

It seems 'wanderers' are also used as references to ascendants and gods. There are some FoD and FoL spoilers, but I'll leave it at that.

I also think this hits home the idea that the Warrens are supposed to be alive—cycling through their own harmonic, so to speak. Perhaps in light of the Errant becoming the master of holds, he locked the warrens down, not letting them go through their cycles. In response, Draconus locked the Gate in Dragnipur to hide it from this, but in a sense locked it down anyway. That is, his notion that the warrens were wandering in a linear sense was just as disastrous as compartmentalizing them in the first place.

Anyway, my two cents.

edit: format

This post has been edited by Pherikus Nul: 17 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Abnegation.

#67 User is offline   Draconus1990 

• Recruit

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:48 AM

On who the errant is. My simple version is the errant has two main features. Don’t know about ancestry I’ll leave that to more knowledgeable readers.

1. Elder god / ascendant
- Elder god who chose to be present in the mortal realm rather than become krul or one of the forgotten names
- Similar to Mael and Bugg but not the same. Mael has retained his power and can travel anywhere. Errant is constrained to letheras.
- similar to Krul as he lost power through dwindling worship
- jealous of Mael receiving endless power through blood and sacrifice and prayer from mortals
- oponn is the obvious similarity but I think oponn deals in luck and leaves people to their deeds. Oponn have no real plan they’re just dicks causing mayhem. (Crokus, corabb, hellian) whereas the errant subtly nudges people to do things he wants done. Contributing to his wider plans as below.
- if not an elder god at the very least a powerful ascendant

2. Master of the tiles
- counterpart to ganoes paran master of the deck
- uses this position to develop and implement his schemes

Personally I think paran is his closest comparison. Those in power in the past must have appointed the errant as master of the tiles. This is probably now seen as a mistake as the errant has abused this position to further his own schemes through the millennia. Appointing a mostly neutral mortal as master of the deck means there is more free thinking overlooking the whole power structure and better decisions are made as evidenced by the conclusion of TCG. Paran also nudges and controls the overall plan, no luck involved.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users