• You cannot reply to this topic

The Errant

#21 User is offline   Malarion 

• Malarion
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading...writing...drinking

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:35 AM

Not sure about him being Oponn.

"Not much. The language on the door belongs to an extinct people known as Forkrul Assail, who are collectively personified in our Filcra by the persoange we call Errant."

MT (hardback) page 327.

Also, and I might be looking too deeply here, but I thin SE is rubbing our noses in it a little. Frankly, I'm starting to think he's taking the piss and laughing at us. Posted Image
Why?
Because I think this is indeed another version of K'rul.
Is it me or does this Elder Gods name not seem a little suspicious.
K'rul - Forkrul Assail
Maybe its coincidence.

Quite simply, a grumpy old man.
Grumpy is only my middle name.

#22 Guest_Harlest Eberict_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 March 2004 - 05:17 PM

Well I'm sticking with Oponn, he's clearly to do with luck and nudging rather than direct action. K'rul is a way out theory- not really his way to stand back and see what happens.

---------------

The mage'll be no danger with ma axe in his belly.

#23 Guest_Sharbu_*

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:08 AM

I always assumed he was the equivalent of Oponn. Luck related (spinning coins, push and pull and all that). Also he was bisexual, kind of invoking the thought that he is both male and female...just as the Twins of Oponn are male and female.

"...look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair"

#24 Guest_Harlest Eberict_*

Posted 10 March 2004 - 06:26 AM

quote:
I really don't think he's the male twin. For a start the male twin is bad luck and it didn't seem like he was paricularly dolling that out, plus he refers to himself as an observer. From his comments this seems to be the first time he has decided to act, to stop being impartial (though only to his limits of course), which certainly wouldn't be the case for Oponn.

I think this is actually set before Gardens (see the thread when is this going on?) so it could be his first intervention. The Errant took the guise of a Letherii, didn't see any good luck happening from their point of view. In the end the guardian that broke Rhulads spine spoke to him saying am I....pushed? Thats all Oponn ever does, just nudges of luck.

---------------

#25 Guest_Dakkareth_*

Posted 10 March 2004 - 12:29 PM

IMO the idea, that he is K'rul makes the most sense. We don't know, how much truth there is in the Letherii cosmogony and Feather Witch's casting of tiles, but in it he seems to have a similar role as in the 'classical' interpretation, where K'rul created the warrens. Also it seems to be K'rul's way of doing things to find allies to help him instead of forming people into tools or manifest with warrens blazing.

The biggest counter-argument is, that Bugg/Mael (who really should know) speaks of him as the impersonation of the Assail ...

But what to make of it I don't know either.

#26 Guest_mikepotter_*

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:17 PM

i think that the errant is definately oppon, here possibly Uppon has no need to fear other gods as he does in other places as they dont exist in this frozen space, he/she is free to walk around as he has no rivals here. As for the fact that this characteriation of oppon does not tie to the one we have seen so far could this not be an oppon blended in harmony?
also is the letherii belief in the fact that those who have amassed coin are blessed by the errant not a twist on crokus the coin bearer achieving oppons blessing??

let the rivers run red

#27 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:35 AM

Anyone of you read American gods by Neil Gaiman? This may be a long shot, but seeing that the whole continet is semi-frozen in time, could it not be possible that the Errant is K'rul as he was believed to be in the 1st empire. When the rest of the world evolved from holds to houses, perhaps K'rul evolved on the other continents but not on Letheras thus he split into two beeings.. Very far fetched I know.

------------------------------
I am merely a guide, to the weak of heart!
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#28 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:29 AM

Kilmandaros is female.

"Here's to beer! the cause of and solution to, all of lifes problems" - Homer J Simpson
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#29 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:45 AM

i also originally thought that he was oponn... but he's far too old...
now, however, i would go with K'rul, after all, he "brought order to the holds" or whatever, and we're all pretty unanimous on the fact that he ordered the warrens, are we not? However, as he wasn't worshipped as K'rul, he would become a separate entity...

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
I shall call you Squishy, and you shall be my squishy... OW! BAD SQUISHY!
If you come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#30 Guest_Harlest Eberict_*

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:20 PM

I think the Empty Hold is shadow, from a quote at a chapter beginning saying The Betrayer stands in the shadow of the Empty Throne. That is why it is empty.
A hold for death maybe just wasn't there at all.

---------------

#31 Guest_Dakkareth_*

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:22 AM

The pack was imprisoned in the Azath; the Huntress came back, because some stupid mortals were messing with her pets; Mael simply does whatever he wants. The Errant however, may well be restricted to Letheras because he has worshippers only there.

And there's no such thing as omnipotency in the Malazan world. There are gods of terribly power and the mortals killing them. Absoluteness has no place there.

#32 Guest_allwilldie_*

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:48 AM

Maybe he's both parts of Oponn in one personification? That's the impression I got. And whoever said Oponn aren't elder gods? Luck has always been around. Did noone ever think that Nerruse - the Lady of Fair Winds and Beru - the Lord of Storms, both Elder Gods, may be Oponn...

Posted Image Posted Image
Just finished: Midnight Tides 9/10

#33 User is offline   Therion 

• Corporal

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:28 AM

In Feather Witch's initial casting of the tiles, the Errant and K'rul are depicted as unrelated:

K'rul is mentioned in conjunction with the Hold of the Eleint, as the "Path-Shaper" - actually the first hint in MT that he is of Draconean origin, before the Bentract Imass in Starvald Demalain confirms it.

#34 User is offline   4092 

• Corporal

Posted 07 April 2005 - 05:06 AM

Maybe he's just some god stuck on the frozen continent. Anyway...i thought gods were like...everywhere..omnipotent. Why would powahful gods like mael, huntress, pack, the Errant in particular, hang around lether, when there is so much more going on elsewhere?

Maybe mael was a bad example...Anwyay.

#35 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:15 AM

Hey Anna Posted Image And please, keep that rumour quiet here. These people wouldn't understand. Posted Image

Oponn is unaligned. They're never mentioned in conjunction with a Warren, at least. I expect the same goes Errant.

From the dictionary:
Per-fec-tion: -noun- an exemplification of supreme excellence b : an unsurpassable degree of accuracy or excellence (see also: Lord Baelish)
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#36 Guest_Rheanar Delh\'Suhn_*

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:30 PM

i had the same thought as i just read it before, but i dont think it is that likely, as the twin is aparently not an elder god, whilst the hold's are elder in aspect.

i was confused by the forkrul assail reference, but we have seen from kettle that the assail can be inside a vessel that is prepared, maybe this is what has happened here.

-------------------------
infinity lies, save yourself

#37 Guest_Harlest Eberict_*

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:34 AM

From this conversation with Bugg I got the impression he was the male twin of Oponn:
"Why not act for yourself?" Bugg asked.
"I cannot. My aspect enforces certain...prohibitions."
"Ah, the nudge, the pull or the push."
"Yes, only that."
"You have been about as direct as you can be."
The Errant nodded.

---------------

#38 User is offline   graller 

• Corporal

Posted 10 March 2004 - 11:14 AM

Exactly right - he is the Hold version of the "luck" that is later personified as Oponn. Which explains why he has remained in Lether all this time as well.

#39 Guest_Kamek_*

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:57 AM

I don't remember K'rul disappearing much during Memories of Ice, plus there is the problem of Turald just being able to go back to Genebackis whenever he needs to. What if he is with the Queen at that time? I also get the impression he's been around quite a bit longer than K'rul has been awake. In fact, we know he has, remember the Prince's bodyguard (I forget his name, Mochum or something) saying that if you look at the paintings, you can see him represtened again and again? Meaning he has been around a lot longer than K'rul has been awake.

Good, I'm glad I got that out of the way, I didn't want any more inconsistencies cropping up if Erikson had meant K'rul and the Errant to be the same.

#40 User is offline   graller 

• Corporal

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:52 PM

I had him as the Letherei version of Oponn as well. Push and Pull / Chance seemed to be his aspect through out to me. The Letherei seemed to look on him as "luck" which could be good or bad just like Oponn.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users