The Badass List of Badass characters Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

Are you talking to me or to Perashaman because I wasn't insulting him
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#62 User is offline   Perashaman 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

Neither was I, really. Just stating a character trait. He is what he is, which is pretty much an evil bastard. It's not an insult if the character would probably take it as a compliment.

#63 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:08 PM

I'm saying that in a fight, there are no rules for good or bad guys. If Kallor used sorcery, or surprise attack, or anything of that sort, then there's nothing dishonorable or underhanded (though he is those things), it's just a necessity.

#64 User is offline   Perashaman 

• Corporal

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

Yeah I was just imposing rules on a situation that is without rules. Say you were in a place where one couldn't use sorcery and it was just purely swordsmanship and the fight happened there.

#65 User is offline   Gimli's love child 

• Corporal

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:25 PM

*shock* and where is darth Sidious?? The most badass dude in the entire universe! (or at least in a galaxy far away)

#66 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:33 PM

He's not badass, he's a feeble old man.

#67 User is offline   Dance 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

List needs more Stormy and Gesler.

#68 User is offline   Gimli's love child 

• Corporal

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

@Halftere...............................SLAP!

#69 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Anyways, the non-malazan characters are there for reference, nothing else. I'm not going to crowd it with too many. I definitely don't need Darth Sidious, because Kallor nicely fills the evil, despicable yet powerful feeble old man role.

#70 User is offline   Dance 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Coltaine is 4th on your list, and the second Wu character.

Gesler broke Coltaine's fist with his face.

I think he should at least get a mention.

#71 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Not much

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:24 PM

But still got his nose broken and Coltaine didn't travel in a fiery warren.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#72 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

Promoted Tavore, Trull, Icarium, Apsalar and Fiddler
Added Gesler, Stormy, and Eres'al

This comes after finishing Bonehunters. Now reading Reaper's Gale.

#73 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:00 PM

if this list keeps going its just gonna be a list of all SE's main characters
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#74 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:38 AM

That's pretty much the intention. Unless someone is totally not badass, like Bottle, I want to add them.

For the record, there is only one character in the whole series who is more actively non-badass than Whiskeyjack, and that is Curdle. Telorast ranks just above Whiskeyjack. Wax Witch who gives Apsalar a candle, Apsalar's father, unnamed soldiers #1 - X, and many others are all more badass than Whiskeyjack, though decidedly non-badass.

#75 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:34 AM

Where the fuck is Torvald Nom on this list?

Honestly now, this man is bad ass. We first see him chained to a pole in a slave pit with a bunch of other dead and dying dudes, manacled the fuck up, but does he give in to despair? No. He bluffs the first person to come in into freeing him. He bluffs Karsa Fucking Orlong into freeing his ass from this slave pit, which has broken dozens of Toblakai like twigs yet he's fine. And we find out he's the leader of a group of rebels, doing all that hardcore guerrilla warfare shit against none other than the motherfucking Malazan Empire! The continent spanning, packed-to-the-gills-with-soldiers-and-mages Malazan Empire! And he's defying them like it's nothing, which to this guy it isn't, because that's just how Torvald Nom rolls, bitches.

Anyway, after getting Karsa Motherfucking Orlong to free him from the slave pit (he must have recognised the same kind of true badassery that he himself possessed, only in greater amounts) he lets Karsa go off and beat the crap out of the Nathii while he goes to get his fellow rebels. Halfway there, he has a brainwave - what is my objective? The horrible deaths of my Malazan oppressors. Where are most of them? In Malaz Island! What's the fastest way to Malaz Island? Let himself be captured! So he goes and beats the shit out of a patrol, and lets the last surviving member take him captive then meets up with his former cellmate and fellow badass Karsa Motherfucking Orlong again and they get shipped to Otataral Island, where he plans to jump ship and swim to Malaz Island, because when you're Torvald Nom you know Mael's got your back. Cause Mael can't handle the shit that'll hit his fan if Torvald Nom drowns in his pond, bitches.

Now Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong are heading to Otataral Island, via cart and ship, and Torvald's maneuvered his co-prisoner into getting to lie down for the whole trip over the boring landscape, and getting to hang upright for the excellent view on deck. No pal of Torvald Nom's going to have to lift a finger during a boring trip if he can help it - he's just that much of a friend. So he's sitting there talking to Karsa Motherfucking Orlong, giving him examples of the kind of wit and candour you need to be a badass barbarian buttkicker, when they go to lift him onto the boat and the accidental ligature damage kicks in. Torvald Nom saw this coming, and 'suggested' to the captain that they pour rum down Karsa Motherfucking Orlong's throat to stop the 'screaming' (those chains are mighty ticklish), so his buddy gets a massive amount of free booze, courtesy of Torvald Nom. He's the best, most badass friend you'll ever need.

So, after they're continuing on their voyage, the Crippled God - King of High House Emo Girly Men - decides to fuck Torvald Nom's plans and uses his enormous powers to blast the living fuck out of the ship with magical chainy lightning, killing everyone on board but his totally unwilling Toblakai 'slave'. Oh, and TORVALD NOM, BITCHES! He just shrugs off the Chained One's attack and accompanies Karsa Motherfucking Orlong into the Nascent, a realm said to have been flooded by the machinations of the Bikelock God, but which probably flooded when Mother Dark heard Torvald Nom was coming. So Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong arrive in this puddle, he gathers some supplies, checks out the view, has a fucking nap JUST BECAUSE HE CAN and then, almost as an afterthought, goes and frees Karsa Motherfucking Orlong from his chained raft thing. A few huge catfish that get Torvald'd later, they find an Edur ship and board it. Now, since Torvald is a generous badass, he kindly offers to let Karsa go first while he searched for some more food, as a twenty foot long fish is merely brunch to Torvald Nom. After Karsa Motherfucking Orlong kills every Edur on the ship, including Trull's brother for having such a crybaby sibling, they grab a boat, find the craven slavemaster and 'friends' who dared to imprison Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong and drag him with them to throw at the wall of the Nascent until it lets them out.

The Nascent decides to be sensible and lets them out, back to their home world, but fucks up out of fear and cuts off the bottom of the boat, forcing them to swim back. This does not go down well, even when Mael decides to help them out by sending a shark to go eat the douchbags they brought with them. The shark gets a couple, but also gets blood on Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong, and the two see who's closest to the bothersome fish. Karsa Motherfucking Orlong is, and he JUMPS HALFWAY OUT OF THE WATER TO HIT THE SHARK IN THE HEAD WITH A FUCKING SWORD, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEA HOLY FUCK THAT IS TOTALLY AWESOME AND HE AND TORVALD NOM HIGH FIVE WHILE STANDING ON THE WATER THEN MOONWALK TO THE BEACH WHILE CROTCHTHRUSTING BECAUSE GRAVITY AND SURFACE TENSION CAN JUST TAKE IT

So they get to the shore, let the puny girly men go because it's beneath them to kill them when things like a strong breeze or an irate sheep could kick their asses, and go off down the coast. In a big fuckoff lighthouse they meet Urko Crust, the best fister in the world and one of the few badasses on the same level of Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong. His house is covered with massive fuckoff skeletons of dinosaurs, and while he says they were fossils, I'm pretty sure they were made extinct BY Urko, so he'd have an alternative interior decoration to those three ducks. Pottery poultry? Not badass. Tyrannosaurus head? BADASS. Anyway, Karsa Motherfucking Orlong's badassery detection senses aren't properly finished by this point, so he gives Urko some sassy backtalk about his collection of dead building sized maneating lizards, so Urko teaches him some manners and PUNCHES HIM, KARSA MOTHERFUCKING ORLONG, TO FUCKING UNCONSCIOUSNESS WITH ONE PUNCH because no-one disses the Urk. He's too sensible to try the same with Torvald Nom, though, because Torvald Nom will end your shit if you do. So then he and the Urk start knocking walls down, using Karsa Motherfucking Orlong's comatose body to do it with, but with respect, because the Urk's fist broke on his torso. The Urk's fist This thing is invincible. You name it, he punched it. He forged Brood's hammer because nothing else was as hard before it, he punched every other moon out of the sky because they got in the way, he punched a sky keep out of a mountain range to see how it worked, then punched it back in. Anything you can imagine being destroyed, he punched it. JFK, 9/11, Tunguska, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, the Big Bang, that's the Urk's pimp hand in action. And he broke it on Karsa Motherfucking Orlong's ribs. Now that's Respect Knuckles.

So Karsa Motherfucking Orlong wakes up, helps collapse a wall of the Urk's house (because fuck pictures, we've got a fuckoff huge dinosaur head to put there), then he and Torvald Nom head off before the close proximity of so many badasses warps spacetime and gives Rodeo pants. They're walking down this path when they see the cowardly slavemaster, who they let live because of distaste, corner them with masses of Arak warriors. Now, most people would have seen captivity and slavery faced with this situation. What Torvald Nom and Karsa Motherfucking Orlong saw, however, was a free ride to somewhere with a bar. They let themselves get captured, then when sufficiently bored Torvald Nom goes and signals the Gral - most badass of all tribes - to come and kick some ass. As soon as he does, a pissant Arak tribesman comes up and cuts his throat. Cuts the motherfucking throat of Torvald Nom. Hoo, boy. It's a shame that Karsa Motherfucking Orlong had left earlier to go find the bar as it was his round, as the world had never before seen the sheer MOTHERFUCKING FURY unleashed that day. Imagine Icarium, in full continent-stripping rage mode. Imagine all that power focused into one boot. Imagine that boot meeting that Arak tribesman's ass.

When the Gral got there, following the light of the fire and the sound of a blender, all they could see were bits of Arak decorating the landscape, a fine red mist falling, and Torvald Nom straightening his clothing nonchalantly. As fellow badasses, the Gral paid the systematic spurts of blood shooting from Torvald Nom's gaping neck wound as much attention as he did, and set up a trading agreement with him there and then. Before going off and creating a business empire (Torvald Nom & Co. Asskicking Incorporated) he decided to take his new departmental heads off to visit Karsa Motherfucking Orlong for a seminar in SWORDING SHARKS IN THE FACE HOLY FUCK THAT IS STILL SO AWESOME and delegation. While there, he and Karsa agree to meet in Darujistan later for those beers and go their separate ways, for now.

And then, AND THEN...
Spoiler

So, in summary, Torvald Nom is the most badass character in the series.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#76 Guest_Noxchild_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

Illuyankas... that was one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

Anyway, for the OP I noticed that Cotillion does not have a blurb detailing his badassery. Now, as I have a burgeoning reputation to uphold as a total raging fangirl, consider this: any dude who can pull off a twinky name like "Cotillion" is badass. Not only that, he was once the most-feared assassin in the Malazan Empire. In fact, I can tell you that nine of ten Claws pee their pants every time the letter "C" comes up and is not suffixed by a "law". The other one out of ten Claws are changing their underwear.

The groovy thing about Cotillion is that he decided one day, with his bud Kellanved, to go ahead and open up a bar. But they weren't going to settle for just owning a bar, which is already totally rad. No, they were like, "fuck this city is full of pussies, let's show them how real criminals operate." Then of course they got their crack family together, which is totally mafia-like if you think about it, and now you have the visual of Cotillion in a black suit, which is not only badass, but hot.

Then Kellanved probably talked to Cotillion (then known as Dancer) aside one day and was like, "Okay, we've already whipped this island into shape, but come on, it's like taking candy from a paraplegic baby." And Dancer didn't even bat an eye, he was, "Fine, let's take candy from a thousand paraplegic babies." And without even knowing why, a thousand rulers pissed themselves in fear.

Then they created the Malazan Empire, which is a piece of cake... if you're fucking Kellanved and Dancer. Plus, the Emperor never tried to put Dancer in the backlight or anything; sure, Kellanved is a crazy old badass, but with Dancer the two of them were like sharks... with frigging lasers. (I'd like to see Karsa Orlong go against that.) Nope. It was Kellanved and Dancer to the bloody end.

Then Dancer was like, "All right, creating an empire with my bud, that's cool but seriously, what I need to do is create a team of crack assassins at least one millionth as good as I am." And thus the Talons were born. Of course when Kellanved and Dancer disappeared they had the dumb idea of getting slaughtered by the Claws, but those Talons died happy, because if they had survived, they'd have to answer to Dancer for why they'd turned into such pussies during his absence. Which is a fate worse than any of Laseen's kitten-Claws could ever come up with.

Even Dancer... uh dying didn't stop him. Hood took one good look at him and said, "Yeah... no." And just to be on the safe side, he spared Kellanved as well, since there's no point celebrating ascendancy if you can't celebrate it with your lunatic Emperor/suspiciously close (even for friends) bud.

And because detailing any more of Cotillion's badassery would open up a black hole in reaction to the universe unable to handle such tales of a badass, read the goddamn books.

Also, he has an animated rope. Which he uses. Like a machine gun. COME ON!

#77 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:39 AM

vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Illuyankas again.

Best thing Ive read. Ever. All Hail Torvald Nom! :D
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#78 User is offline   Dance 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

HalfTere;361771 said:

That's pretty much the intention. Unless someone is totally not badass, like Bottle, I want to add them.

For the record, there is only one character in the whole series who is more actively non-badass than Whiskeyjack, and that is Curdle. Telorast ranks just above Whiskeyjack. Wax Witch who gives Apsalar a candle, Apsalar's father, unnamed soldiers #1 - X, and many others are all more badass than Whiskeyjack, though decidedly non-badass.

Whiskeyjack is more badass then L'oric, imo.

And Illuyankas wins.

#79 User is offline   HalfTere 

• Corporal

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

Well, Torvald Nom will indeed be added. I must say, I forgot he existed, but your argument is heartfelt and strong.

And you're right, L'oric isn't badass. However, he's still more badass than whiskeyjack, though only by the tiniest sliver.

#80 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Not much

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:28 PM

L'oric destroyed 2 T'lann Imass! I would like to see you try it!:folken:
Adept of Team Quick Ben

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users