• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7441 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:38 PM

Why did no one tell me that the person who adapted Jane Austen's unfinished work SANDITON for TV was Andrew Davies (who did my favourite Austen Adaptation, PRIDE & PREJUDICE 1994)?!

Anyways, gonna take Season 1 to watch on the plane for my vacation. Exciting.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7442 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2023 - 02:38 PM, said:

Why did no one tell me that the person who adapted Jane Austen's unfinished work SANDITON for TV was Andrew Davies (who did my favourite Austen Adaptation, PRIDE & PREJUDICE 1994)?!

We were actively conspiring to conceal this information from you at Mr Davies' request.
Please stop sending him the little paper dolls with the hampster skulls.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7443 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2023 - 03:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 March 2023 - 03:10 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 March 2023 - 02:38 PM, said:

We were actively conspiring to conceal this information from you at Mr Davies' request.
Please stop sending him the little paper dolls with the hampster skulls.

The little empire-waisted dresses are hard as hell to get over the hamster skulls.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7444 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:54 AM

So Willow got cancelled.

https://editorial.ro...-tv-shows-2023/

Unfortunately in a suprise to noone, Mindhunter also got the chop officially.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 March 2023 - 09:57 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7445 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 20 March 2023 - 05:48 PM

I thought Mindhunter got canned ages ago?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7446 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:58 PM

Effectively yeah, this is just the summary of the last year. Considering season 2 was 2019 and

(Wikipedia)
"The first season of 10 episodes debuted worldwide on Netflix on October 13, 2017.[6][7] The second season was released by Netflix on August 16, 2019.[8] In January 2020, Netflix announced that the potential for a third season was on indefinite hold as Fincher wanted to pursue other projects, but may "revisit [the series] in the future".[9] In February 2023, Fincher confirmed that the series was officially over."

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 20 March 2023 - 07:59 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7447 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:33 PM

Ted Lasso season 3 boyyy! Finally talked the ole lady into watching it so we’re in a rewatch, should start the new ones next week.

Yellowjackets Season 2 put today. Let’s go.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7448 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 March 2023 - 03:35 PM

Finished S1 of The Wire and it really highlighted to be what a sad loss the death of Lance Reddick shows. His character development in that one season is phenomenal and he is superb! Will be driving into S2 forthwith!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7449 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:08 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 March 2023 - 03:35 PM, said:

Finished S1 of The Wire and it really highlighted to be what a sad loss the death of Lance Reddick shows. His character development in that one season is phenomenal and he is superb! Will be driving into S2 forthwith!

I don't' think there is ANYTHING I've seen him in that I disliked him in. He was a wonderful character actor.

I did a half hour vigil kneeling in front of Zavala at the Tower in DESTINY 2 when I returned from vacation. Felt right to pay a little tribute in my own way.

#7450 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 March 2023 - 01:23 PM

I'm like 1.5 episodes into the new Great Expectations for FX/BBC. It's the edgier, hornier version I guess. Not sure what I think about it yet. Performances are uniformly good, but the kinda Fincher Jr. aesthetic to it all is kinda gross. Not like enough to DNF it or anything, but if you thought Dickens was unsubtle, this adaptation's gonna give you a real lesson on making the subtext text.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7451 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:14 PM

Considering that D+ is doing both a PERCY JACKSON tv series, and an ERAGON TV series, I can see why WB wants to cash in on their IP....but remaking (as much as I think that many scenes in from the books needed more breathing room than they got in the movies and a TV show could do that) HARRY POTTER as a 7 season TV series (one for each book) feels like a weird choice...mostly because you could easily do something in that world but without the retread....anyways, weird choice... Also, HBO is a weird place for kids content in my eyes...

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 April 2023 - 04:16 PM

#7452 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

Considering that D+ is doing both a PERCY JACKSON tv series, and an ERAGON TV series, I can see why WB wants to cash in on their IP....but remaking (as much as I think that many scenes in from the books needed more breathing room than they got in the movies and a TV show could do that) HARRY POTTER as a 7 season TV series (one for each book) feels like a weird choice...mostly because you could easily do something in that world but without the retread....anyways, weird choice... Also, HBO is a weird place for kids content in my eyes...

Seen the theory thrown around that while this has been tossed around for a while, the split between the movie cast and JKR over transpeople prompted a desire to reset the story in the public mind and moved the timetable up to repair the brand.

From a marketable standpoint, it's not ridiculous - the last book-movie was 2012, over a decade ago. Sorceror's Stone was 2001. Given the clear market for fantasy based tv and how relatively easy HP would be to adapt, it makes moneysense. It appears that the negative association didn't hurt the Hogwarts Legacy sales too much, and they have another 1-2 years before this sees eyeballs, plenty of time for JKR to stfu.

That said, if the house elves or goblins get the same treatment as the books/movies/game, well...

#7453 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:54 PM

They should reboot Taxi Cab Confessions instead.

#7454 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 April 2023 - 04:33 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

Seen the theory thrown around that while this has been tossed around for a while, the split between the movie cast and JKR over transpeople prompted a desire to reset the story in the public mind and moved the timetable up to repair the brand.

From a marketable standpoint, it's not ridiculous - the last book-movie was 2012, over a decade ago. Sorceror's Stone was 2001. Given the clear market for fantasy based tv and how relatively easy HP would be to adapt, it makes moneysense. It appears that the negative association didn't hurt the Hogwarts Legacy sales too much, and they have another 1-2 years before this sees eyeballs, plenty of time for JKR to stfu.

That said, if the house elves or goblins get the same treatment as the books/movies/game, well...

Oh, I should be clear. I think this will do very well (even if I personally find a retread a weird choice). The bubble that the "JKR fight" exists in is much smaller than anyone seems to want to admit to and the general HP fandom is untouched by it...so it's a good IP to mine for a prestige show.

Oh, and if anyone wants to have a proper go at me Re: HP, my daughter has asked me to read the first HARRY POTTER book to her (I suggested some other books, but she will not be budged from wanting HP) and we start tonight...so people call me whichever bad words for doing that I guess.

#7455 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:10 PM

Nerd ass bastard.

#7456 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:13 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 April 2023 - 04:59 PM, said:

... if anyone wants to have a proper go at me Re: HP, my daughter has asked me to read the first HARRY POTTER book to her (I suggested some other books, but she will not be budged from wanting HP) and we start tonight...so people call me whichever bad words for doing that I guess.

It's been an interesting discussion to watch. There are some VERY extreme feelings on all sides and it really runs the full range. The 'i love all transpeople everywhere but you can take my harry potter when you can pry him from my cold dead avada kedavra'd fingers' vs 'any support for anything JKR related is anti-trans hate and makes you a horrible person' has been particularly icky.

#7457 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2023 - 05:29 AM

I'm watching Shadow and Bone season 2. I don't know why! I want to stop.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7458 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:55 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 April 2023 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm watching Shadow and Bone season 2. I don't know why! I want to stop.

Do you?

Attached File(s)

#7459 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:00 PM

The hammy acting and generic fantasy plot make my lady parts recoil.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 06 April 2023 - 02:00 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7460 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:03 PM

She's my reason for watching (I already loved the book character, but Galligan does a great job bringing her to life).

Attached File  Danielle_Galligan_interview.jpg (18.34K)
Number of downloads: 1

Also, the Grishaverse in general is a really fun world to explore.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users