• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7461 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:05 PM

Well this looks fantastic.

I LOVED this movie and Farrell was exquisite in it, so this looks like more of that and I'm down.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7462 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2023 - 01:00 AM

Wife and I tried watching YELLOWJACKETS….but I guess post pandemic my mental health can’t take the darkness and bleakness of it…we both noped out after the pilot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7463 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2023 - 03:21 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 April 2023 - 01:00 AM, said:

Wife and I tried watching YELLOWJACKETS….but I guess post pandemic my mental health can’t take the darkness and bleakness of it…we both noped out after the pilot.

I enjoyed it, but completely get that.

And it only gets more intense.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7464 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 April 2023 - 02:50 PM

I watched the first episode of MRS DAVIS....sweet merciful crap this show is delightfully insane! Wow.

This is the show everyone is going o be talking about this summer, guaranteed. What a blast!

#7465 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:45 AM

I remember liking season 1, but Carnival Row season 2 (so far) is mostly a slog.

It's a bit like Victorian Rings of Power minus most of the special FX---and when the SFX big bad finally appears, it's exceptionally crappy and cheap looking.

Orlando Bloom turns in what might his worst performance since becoming a movie star. His accent sounds forced, though part of that might be the perpetual guttural monotone mumbling.

Cara Delewhatever's acting is dodgy in places too. Same goes for a lot of the other actors. Especially Tamzin Merchant, whose shtick was okay as vaguely humorous satire in season 1, but is less suited to her role in this season.

There was one memorable dream sequence involving a mass execution.

Oh well, at least few people will be sad that it was already canceled before this season was released (won't be sad after seeing it, at least)....

Swarm was very good. Did a fantastic job of making the serial killer relatable. Though it did make breaking into a rich person's home, killing them, and then living there and eating their food seem perhaps a bit too easy and appealing (comedy!). Love how it played with expectations.

The Consultant was good---a bit a cheesy in places, but addictive and entertaining story/lore.
Both Swarm and The Consultant being 'dark humor / satire' but (generally) not of the laugh out loud sort iirc.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 April 2023 - 12:45 AM

#7466 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 April 2023 - 12:58 AM

I'm watching Beef -- slowly but surely. It's less Curb-style cringe humor and more Safdie Bros MAXIMUM STRESS humor, though not quite as grim. I like it a lot so far, but I can't binge it, that's for sure.

Anyway, Steven Yeun and Ali Wong are both great (she's got a lotta range it turns out!), and the dudes playing his brother and her husband respectively are both super funny. The only thing that sucks is David Choe is in it -- his performance isn't bad, per se, I just have always found him grating.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7467 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 April 2023 - 02:51 PM

View Postworry, on 22 April 2023 - 12:58 AM, said:

I'm watching Beef -- slowly but surely. It's less Curb-style cringe humor and more Safdie Bros MAXIMUM STRESS humor, though not quite as grim. I like it a lot so far, but I can't binge it, that's for sure.

Anyway, Steven Yeun and Ali Wong are both great (she's got a lotta range it turns out!), and the dudes playing his brother and her husband respectively are both super funny. The only thing that sucks is David Choe is in it -- his performance isn't bad, per se, I just have always found him grating.

You've probably already seen this but...

'Beef's' Ali Wong and Steven Yeun Rally Around Self-Described 'Rapist' David Choe

[...] after more than a week of social media backlash about his casting.

[...] Twitter rediscovered a disturbing clip from Choe's [...] podcast [...] in which he describes sexually assaulting a Black masseuse and brags about being a "successful rapist." Choe garnered criticism for the episode when it originally aired almost a decade ago. At the time, [he] released a statement, claiming that he made up the incident.

"The story David Choe fabricated nine years ago is undeniably hurtful and extremely disturbing," [...] "We do not condone this story in any way, and we understand why this has been so upsetting and triggering. We're aware David has apologized in the past for making up this horrific story, and we've seen him put in the work to get the mental health support he needed over the last decade to better himself and learn from his mistakes."

[...] "So basically they all KNEW about David Choe's r*pe "story" & they STILL chose to support him anyway?,"
'Beef's' Ali Wong and Steven Yeun Rally Around Self-Described 'Rapist' David Choe (yahoo.com)

Video:
https://twitter.com/...7986339840?s=20

After watching the video excerpt circulating on Twitter, it doesn't seem like he's making it up, and there are plenty of tiny plausible details that add perceived realism. Could be extreme deadpan, but the other people in the excerpt are clearly not taking it as humor or as something he made up, and all the details seem plausible. Trying to shock people? It's possible.

Then again, a later clip from the same show does show some of the other people laughing, and his delivery becomes overtly humorous:

... but they still seem to be assuming the story is true---possibly just 'committing to the bit'....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 April 2023 - 02:51 PM

#7468 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 April 2023 - 05:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 April 2023 - 02:50 PM, said:

I watched the first episode of MRS DAVIS....sweet merciful crap this show is delightfully insane! Wow.

This is the show everyone is going o be talking about this summer, guaranteed. What a blast!

Finished the released 4 episodes...THIS SHOW IS FUCKING BANANAS. Like every time I think it's can't POSSIBLY surprise me and cause me to be like "WHAT the fuck?!" it does....the end of episode 4 was no slouch in that department.

My gods...what brilliantly bizarre TV.

#7469 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2023 - 09:29 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 22 April 2023 - 02:51 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember when it happened. I dunno, even if I'm willing to believe he was exaggerating or inventing an anecdote for the sake of shock -- which is actually within the realm of possibility, given the nature of his podcast and his shtick in general, even if it seems unlikely to be 100% fabricated -- it's still plenty in line with why I don't like him. He's always flexed this tryhard edgelord persona and it's real grating.

Anyway, the show is still good, his character is not outside his range and he's fine in it, it just sucks on the very basic level of running into someone you don't like.

#7470 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:17 PM

View Postworry, on 25 April 2023 - 09:29 AM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 22 April 2023 - 02:51 PM, said:

. He's always flexed this tryhard edgelord persona and it's real grating.

He's like that other podcast guy Bobby something with his story about a prostitute he assaulted in Mexico that's also that level of completely disgusting...that he later claimed was a joke....yeah no one is buying that man and joke or not that's fucking disgusting and you should be ashamed. These Dudebro's who think they're doing "comedy" podcasts need to all just fade the fuck away, they almost always seem to be sketchy as fuck, and their edge lord bullshit is so transparent.

#7471 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2023 - 12:41 PM

That's Bobby Lee, I think -- who I also generally find grating for pretty similar reasons, independent of these anecdotes. I'm not gonna overanalyze the line between edgy and edgelordy -- at least, that's not my purpose here -- I just find these two specific individuals to be mood killers when they pop up in stuff.

#7472 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 April 2023 - 02:23 PM

View Postworry, on 25 April 2023 - 12:41 PM, said:

That's Bobby Lee, I think -- who I also generally find grating for pretty similar reasons, independent of these anecdotes. I'm not gonna overanalyze the line between edgy and edgelordy -- at least, that's not my purpose here -- I just find these two specific individuals to be mood killers when they pop up in stuff.

Agreed. I've seen more than a few clips of the Bobby Lee guy in Tiktok and I found him pretty insufferable.

#7473 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 27 April 2023 - 03:02 PM

Episode 5 of MRS. DAVIS was a coda for the series, while also throwing up new questions, while also being one of the best episodes of the entire run so far.

Man I love this show.

#7474 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 May 2023 - 07:48 AM

Three episodes into Star Trek: Lower Decks and I am HOOKED.

Also, after finishing the final series of Brooklyn 99 (overall positive, nice ending, but I'd say continues from series 7 in being weaker than the rest) we're watching Scrubs - it's a re-watch for the other half but I've only ever seen bits of it before. Fills the easy watching bill nicely.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 05 May 2023 - 07:49 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7475 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:10 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 May 2023 - 07:48 AM, said:

Three episodes into Star Trek: Lower Decks and I am HOOKED.

Also, after finishing the final series of Brooklyn 99 (overall positive, nice ending, but I'd say continues from series 7 in being weaker than the rest) we're watching Scrubs - it's a re-watch for the other half but I've only ever seen bits of it before. Fills the easy watching bill nicely.

Scrubs is my absolute fave I really hope you like it. Think I've watched the whole thing 10+ times!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7476 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:18 AM

Dr Cox is my favourite sort of arsehole already Posted Image
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7477 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:30 PM

Peacock passed on GRRM's WILD CARDS tv show (and it had already moved there from Hulu)...and I get it....it's ambitious as hell money-wise, and there's a TONNE of deeply fucked up shit in the middle books that you'd have to press through to get to even some semblance of decent stories again...So you're really only looking at cherry picking the good stuff rom the early books and there's not much there that things like THE BOYS isn't already doing on Prestige TV....so if Hulu didn't want it (and I mean Disney owns them, so I get it) and Peacock passed....chances are this isn't a show that can get made.

I would argue that you could not even make it at Peacock....not enough budget and the NBC-set is not really going to enjoy a show about severely fucked up superheroes....most of whom AREN'T heroes at all.

#7478 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:35 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 05 May 2023 - 09:18 AM, said:

Dr Cox is my favourite sort of arsehole already Posted Image

Please let me know when you're through season 3 as there are things to discuss :D
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7479 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 May 2023 - 02:39 PM

Ted Lasso's Fans Need to Just Accept That the Show Is Bad Now

[...] sending its fans into a civil war.

[...] Defenders have taken to parroting the first-season speech in which Ted cites Walt Whitman's "Be curious, not judgmental"—a phrase Whitman never actually uttered [...] Others roll their eyes and admit, "I'm starting to hate those phrases now." [...] disillusioned viewers have likened die-hard fans' unquestioning zeal to the blind adherence of members of a cult—and it seems to have the show's disciples shuttling between hoping for a last-minute comeback and feeling that they've been had.

[Article includes spoilers:]

#7480 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:18 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 May 2023 - 02:39 PM, said:

Ted Lasso's Fans Need to Just Accept That the Show Is Bad Now

[...] sending its fans into a civil war.

[...] Defenders have taken to parroting the first-season speech in which Ted cites Walt Whitman's "Be curious, not judgmental"—a phrase Whitman never actually uttered [...] Others roll their eyes and admit, "I'm starting to hate those phrases now." [...] disillusioned viewers have likened die-hard fans' unquestioning zeal to the blind adherence of members of a cult—and it seems to have the show's disciples shuttling between hoping for a last-minute comeback and feeling that they've been had.

[Article includes spoilers:]

Funny, because they just delivered one of the best episodes of the entire 3-season run last night, and slotted nicely into one of my top ten of TV episodes EVER. So....shrug.

------

Also, MRS. DAVIS stuck it's utterly batshit ending. Great miniseries show. WELL worth investment and sticking it out to the end.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users