• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7281 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:37 AM

Finished "Wednesday" on Netflix.

The second 4 eps weren't as good as the first 4 and knocked maybe a full point out of ten off the final product for reasons I have spoilered previously, but overall it was good fun.
I think they "humanised" Wednesday a little too much, but I believe the core of the character is intact.

Jenna Ortega is amazing though.

Three and three-quarters animated digits out of five.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7282 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:29 PM

'Wednesday's version of Thing, played by Romanian magician Victor Dorobantu, gives such an emotional performance that he's become a fan favorite.

Posted Image

Victor Dorobantu: We were trying to find ways to communicate, to find the images that we could use, to find the alphabet, like American Sign Language, that we could use. We were trying to find signs that scuba divers use, also Marine Corps and stuff like that. So we tried to just mix all of that together for 50 percent. The rest of the 50 percent was improvisation. I was trying to react to [Jenna Ortega’s] lines and to her expressions, and I was trying to disconnect from my body.

Posted Image

[...] I didn’t have too many inspirations because you don’t see hands disembodied [in real life]—hopefully. I was trying to get as much as I can from the internet about Christopher Hart [who was also a magician], and his performance as Thing, because I was a big fan of his magic and I didn’t know that he was the one who played Thing in the old days [in The Addams Family live-action films]. And the rest of it was just trying to imagine my hand as a whole body, not like a spider or something like other people think.

[...] They contacted me after seeing me on a TV show in Romania, something like [America’s] Got Talent. [...]

I’ve tried to explain the misconception that a magician would do this role, making it easy, but a magician is very mechanical with his hands. We are not gracefully moving our fingers and stuff. [...] sending emotions to his fingers and being emotional for each and every movement that I made with my hand, that’s more complex than being a magician.

For me, it helped a lot being a guitar player. [I’ve been] playing the guitar since I was little, my father was a guitar teacher. Also, I was passionate about puppetry when I was in my teenage years, I was working in a child theater.'

How Wednesday brought Thing to life: An interview with the actor Victor Dorobantu

#7283 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 December 2022 - 06:26 AM

Oh wow, that's a huge disconnect between the critics and audience ratings for the new Willow series on Rotten Tomatoes. 84% to 28%! Whoa! :shock:

Even if you factor in a large "toxic fanboiz" pushback, that's still quite the gap.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7284 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2022 - 01:24 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 December 2022 - 06:26 AM, said:

Oh wow, that's a huge disconnect between the critics and audience ratings for the new Willow series on Rotten Tomatoes. 84% to 28%! Whoa! :shock:

Even if you factor in a large "toxic fanboiz" pushback, that's still quite the gap.

Do yourself a favour and don't check YouTube comments, or reddit...the toxicity from fanboys (Fanboys who think that having an LGBT relationship, diverse cast, and a male damsel-in-distress character is somehow going to wreck the universe...) is...obscene.

But yeah, people are complaining about some of the anachronisms (style of talking, America accents mixed with English) or the bloodlessness (like BBC's MERLIN)....none of which bothers me, but the thing that blows my mind is this is after a mere two episodes, the first 1.5 are almost completely setup for the rest of the series.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 December 2022 - 01:25 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7285 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:01 PM

These are the same people who lost their minds over a black elves/dwarves/hobbits in Rings of Power. They get more attention than they should.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7286 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 December 2022 - 06:47 PM

Oh man, I had no idea this was coming. The DETECTORISTS is coming back for a Christmas Special on BBC2 on the 26th!

My gods, I can't wait!

https://www.theguard...ristmas-special
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7287 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 December 2022 - 08:37 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 December 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

Oh man, I had no idea this was coming. The DETECTORISTS is coming back for a Christmas Special on BBC2 on the 26th!

My gods, I can't wait!

Yes I saw TRB posted this on social media I'm so happy! One of the funniest, most underrated comedies out there!

Also, in an interview a few years ago, Steven Erikson mentioned how it was one of his favourites and I think he introduced a bunch of people to it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7288 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2022 - 11:22 PM

Yah that's great news.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7289 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 December 2022 - 10:27 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 07 December 2022 - 08:37 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 December 2022 - 06:47 PM, said:

My gods, I can't wait!

Yes I saw TRB posted this on social media I'm so happy! One of the funniest, most underrated comedies out there!

Also, in an interview a few years ago, Steven Erikson mentioned how it was one of his favourites and I think he introduced a bunch of people to it.

Ah, we knew Steve was a good'un Posted Image

I'm over the moon about this, it's my favourite series. We rewatch it fairly often and it always feels like a warm hug to come back to it each time.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7290 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:28 PM

Yep. It’s where I first heard of it.

Pub?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7291 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:26 PM

Pub!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7292 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:53 PM

It's such a cozy comfort show. When I'm down, I can throw it on and it always cheers me up. Just hearing the theme music settles me.

#7293 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 December 2022 - 03:47 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7294 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:26 PM

View Postworry, on 08 December 2022 - 03:47 PM, said:

The grains of salt this kind of announcement always elicits in me... could fill multiple silos.

#7295 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 12 December 2022 - 10:31 PM

I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary first installment. I couldn't help myself. Harry is like a man who has only recently awoken to reality after being raised in a cult, it's really quite curious to watch. I believe the general truth of what they, and especially Meghan, experienced but I wish they were being a bit less bloody American about it.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7296 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 12 December 2022 - 11:50 PM

Watching Detectorists again because the new one is nearly here and because it's so flipping good.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7297 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:39 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 December 2022 - 11:50 PM, said:

Watching Detectorists again because the new one is nearly here and because it's so flipping good.

It’s the best. I’m starting my rewatch this weekend. The only bad thing is I’m the only one I know who watches it, nobody gets my quotes!

“I feel like I’ve been groomed…”
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7298 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:55 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2022 - 02:53 PM, said:

It's such a cozy comfort show. When I'm down, I can throw it on and it always cheers me up. Just hearing the theme music settles me.

Absolutely the same!

Just started series two again after throwing it on over the weekend. This is going to get me through clearing my flat and such at the weekend. Mr Not a Blacksmith is already entering every room with a shout of "Helloooo there!" in an uncanny impression of Simon and Garfunkel.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7299 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:59 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 13 December 2022 - 10:55 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 December 2022 - 02:53 PM, said:

Absolutely the same!

Just started series two again after throwing it on over the weekend. This is going to get me through clearing my flat and such at the weekend. Mr Not a Blacksmith is already entering every room with a shout of "Helloooo there!" in an uncanny impression of Simon and Garfunkel.

The refrain that plays every time those two appear makes me laugh every single time. Also, Simon Farnaby is just a hilarious dude in everything I've seen him in. The ongoing Simon and Garfunkel joke is one of my favourite things in TV.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7300 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 December 2022 - 12:48 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 12 December 2022 - 10:31 PM, said:

I watched the Harry and Meghan documentary first installment. I couldn't help myself. Harry is like a man who has only recently awoken to reality after being raised in a cult, it's really quite curious to watch. I believe the general truth of what they, and especially Meghan, experienced but I wish they were being a bit less bloody American about it.

I don't know much about british royalty outside of what we get in mainstream international press, but man that video of him walking behind his mothers casket. Being expected to smile and shake hands. Jesus, we should support any and all people wanting to get out of that for themselves and their kids.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users