Ye Big TV Thread

#7261 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 03 November 2022 - 07:02 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 October 2022 - 04:42 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2022 - 03:25 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 25 October 2022 - 10:20 AM, said:

So apparently some of you are fans of "Dark"?

https://www.youtube....h?v=p7OUQ9U2qIw

I'm intrigued.

It looks good, and word of mouth is that it's damned good storytelling. I will be checking it out.

This does look good! When does it come out?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#7262 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

AMCs INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE had it's finale (on AMC+ that is, I think the cable screening of the episode is this weekend)...and it was stunningly good. They've split the first book/story in a clean spot (in fact, if you've seen the movie you can probably guess at what point the first season ends if it's half the story) and the new framing narrative really adds so much, including the reveal that I guessed at last week...

BIG HONKIN SPOILERS
Spoiler

Lestat's almost reveal of the existence of Akasha and Enkil to Louis and Claudia when Louis suggests Greece as a place to go to and he mentions "those who must be kept" and Louis is like "Wait, what?" and Lestat is like "Oh never mind".

This show is wonderful and I can't wait for S2.

Onto THE MAYFAIR WITCHES in January!

EDIT:

Oh and a few things about how brilliant this show is.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 November 2022 - 03:40 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7263 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 November 2022 - 03:29 PM

Oh I must watch this! I didn’t realize it was already out. Now I can just binge :-)
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#7264 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 November 2022 - 03:42 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 09 November 2022 - 03:29 PM, said:

Oh I must watch this! I didn’t realize it was already out. Now I can just binge :-)

I hope you like it. I'm a big fan of the books, and the movie, but this show is on another level entirely with its storytelling.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7265 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 November 2022 - 11:10 AM

So hopeful but so fearful .. please be good. Looks like they've not stinted on the budget though.

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 November 2022 - 02:00 PM

If there is anyone who I faith faith to do an Addam's Family spinoff justice, it's Tim Burton. The man's whole career is based off this stuff. I'm excited for it.

#7267 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:52 PM

Kevin Conroy, it seems, has died.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7268 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 November 2022 - 08:28 PM

Finished watching a show called Derry Girls and honestly it's one of the funniest and heart warming shows I've ever seen. The finale was utterly hilarious and massively emotional. Hugely recommended.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7269 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 November 2022 - 03:58 PM

I haven't seen the new season yet, but I genuinely love the writing and the willingness of the actors to be weird.

Uncle Colm gets me giggling every single time.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7270 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 15 November 2022 - 05:27 PM

Oh yes the guy played Uncle Colm to absolute perfection haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7271 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:42 PM

Season 5 of THE CROWN has been surprisingly good.

Imelda Staunton and Jonathan Pryce have been decent, if imperfect versions of the Queen and Phillip. It takes Staunton at least 3 episodes to get anywhere near the performances of Olivia Colman, to stay nothing of Claire Foy. But she does get there eventually.

Pryce is fine, and feels like a solid progression from Menzies.

The holdout on performance was Domenic West's portrayal of Charles. Josh O'Connor nailed Charles so well that anyone who followed him was going to struggle, but West doesn't even attempt "the voice" at first and is just being Domenic West....but around ep 4 I started to hear and see Charles in his performance.

Debicki is as close to Diana during these years as anyone could get. She's perfect in the role.

I like that the show doesn't shy away from not letting Diana off the hook for some of her behaviour. So many people treated her as this pedestal-untouchable woman who got down in the muck and played amongst the normal people...and hell even in the Bashir interview where she talks about not being prepared for the "system"....I'm sitting there like "Does this woman expect us to forget that she's the daughter of a goddamned Earl in a family of well off nobles that's been around since the 15th century and lived on an estate and is in the line of succession?" Like I feel like she put on such airs about being "the people's princess" while also being RICH AF and Noble already. She knew exactly what kind of life she was getting into. Did she enter a loveless marriage? Yes, and I feel for her...but this shit happens to everyone all the time in real life. The fact that it happened in the public eye should not be the thing that elevates this. Do I love Charles? Gods no, but I at least accept that his family prevented him from the love of his life and pushed him into said loveless marriage. And the proof is that the marriage to Diana lasted what? A decade? He's been with Camilla now for like 25+ years. It's clear to me that the mistake was not letting him choose Camilla back then, scandal or not.

I think the best episode of the season was the one that touched on the fall of the Soviet Union, and the Romanovs and the connections to the royal family therein. The whole season is peppered with "well the public thinks THIS", and the Queen is like "Actually, it's this"....and the end of this episode where they try to suggest that her grandmother Mary was jealous and said she didn't want to rescue the Romanovs from the Bolsheviks and get them out of Ipatiev House out of the notion that Alexandra was more beautiful and Mary felt threatened...when in reality (and in real life; the rivalry was invented for the show to mirror what was going on with Penny Knatchbull) the Queen states that it was more a worry over the political fallout from saving a German princess (during WWI) and an abdicated King.

Anyways, great episode.

The stuff that focuses on Charles and Diana is good, and having lived through it it's nice to watch a dramatization. I remember the Bashir interview, and I'm not at all surprised to find out how shady he was about it...that man is horrible.

We have two eps left, but I'm enjoying.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 November 2022 - 02:45 PM

#7272 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 November 2022 - 05:00 AM

Quite enjoying Wednesday on Netflix so far.

Yes it's a little YA-ish and sort of like Harry-Potter lite, but it's fun. And it looks like the cast are having fun too.

I've never seen anything else Jenna Ortega has done, but she has real charisma in the role. It feels like a contradiction, but her portrayal of Wednesday just crackles.
Don't know how to explain it any other way. Some people might not like the - dare I say it? - tiny snippets of humanity that have been infused into her, but IMHO it doesn't detract from Wednesday's cold, logical, (psychopathic?) intensity. I think it enhances it.
Yes it's different, but not in a bad way.

My $0.02.

Further impressions of ep 5+ in spoiler tags because.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 November 2022 - 12:34 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7273 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:54 PM

I enjoyed Wednesday, the lead is fantastic.

If you can ignore some of the YA you'll enjoy it! Shout out to the dance scene, best scene of the season! Plenty of easter eggs to spot too for fans of the films!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7274 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:31 PM

View Postchamp, on 28 November 2022 - 07:54 PM, said:

I enjoyed Wednesday, the lead is fantastic.

If you can ignore some of the YA you'll enjoy it! Shout out to the dance scene, best scene of the season! Plenty of easter eggs to spot too for fans of the films!

Excited to check it out!

#7275 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:58 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 November 2022 - 02:42 PM, said:

Season 5 of THE CROWN has been surprisingly good.

Imelda Staunton and Jonathan Pryce have been decent, if imperfect versions of the Queen and Phillip. It takes Staunton at least 3 episodes to get anywhere near the performances of Olivia Colman, to stay nothing of Claire Foy. But she does get there eventually.

Pryce is fine, and feels like a solid progression from Menzies.

The holdout on performance was Domenic West's portrayal of Charles. Josh O'Connor nailed Charles so well that anyone who followed him was going to struggle, but West doesn't even attempt "the voice" at first and is just being Domenic West....but around ep 4 I started to hear and see Charles in his performance.

Debicki is as close to Diana during these years as anyone could get. She's perfect in the role.

I like that the show doesn't shy away from not letting Diana off the hook for some of her behaviour. So many people treated her as this pedestal-untouchable woman who got down in the muck and played amongst the normal people...and hell even in the Bashir interview where she talks about not being prepared for the "system"....I'm sitting there like "Does this woman expect us to forget that she's the daughter of a goddamned Earl in a family of well off nobles that's been around since the 15th century and lived on an estate and is in the line of succession?" Like I feel like she put on such airs about being "the people's princess" while also being RICH AF and Noble already. She knew exactly what kind of life she was getting into. Did she enter a loveless marriage? Yes, and I feel for her...but this shit happens to everyone all the time in real life. The fact that it happened in the public eye should not be the thing that elevates this. Do I love Charles? Gods no, but I at least accept that his family prevented him from the love of his life and pushed him into said loveless marriage. And the proof is that the marriage to Diana lasted what? A decade? He's been with Camilla now for like 25+ years. It's clear to me that the mistake was not letting him choose Camilla back then, scandal or not.

I think the best episode of the season was the one that touched on the fall of the Soviet Union, and the Romanovs and the connections to the royal family therein. The whole season is peppered with "well the public thinks THIS", and the Queen is like "Actually, it's this"....and the end of this episode where they try to suggest that her grandmother Mary was jealous and said she didn't want to rescue the Romanovs from the Bolsheviks and get them out of Ipatiev House out of the notion that Alexandra was more beautiful and Mary felt threatened...when in reality (and in real life; the rivalry was invented for the show to mirror what was going on with Penny Knatchbull) the Queen states that it was more a worry over the political fallout from saving a German princess (during WWI) and an abdicated King.

Anyways, great episode.

The stuff that focuses on Charles and Diana is good, and having lived through it it's nice to watch a dramatization. I remember the Bashir interview, and I'm not at all surprised to find out how shady he was about it...that man is horrible.

We have two eps left, but I'm enjoying.

I've actually given up on it (I watched one further episode past the Russia one), and it's shame because I enjoyed the first three series very much.

I liked the set up and most of the Romanov episode, but the portrayal of events at Ipatiev House felt gratuitously violent. It's hard to articulate it as I've definitely seen more graphic depictions in other things, it might have just jarred more because it felt so out of place in The Crown. It would have lost nothing for me if the last shot had been the gunman lining up in silhouette in front of the family, or ended on black with the sound of gunfire. There's no misinterpretation possible of what followed without needing to actually show it and hear everyone screaming.

Overall though I agree, Dominic West is a great Charles and grows with each episode (and I really liked Josh O'Connor as well), Debicki is a spot on Diana, and I feel very similarly to you in finding the saintly narrative with her a bit sickly so it was good to see some less than angelic behaviour shown. Jonathan Pryce is also excellent - he's got one of those voices I could listen to on loop all day. Unfortunately I think in terms of playing the Queen Claire Foy set an impossibly high bar that neither subsequent actress has met for me, despite them both being very good.

Some of it I think has been natural progression for me in that I enjoyed the fourth season less than the third, and so on. Glad you are enjoying it though :)

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 29 November 2022 - 10:00 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7276 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 29 November 2022 - 09:58 AM, said:

Unfortunately I think in terms of playing the Queen Claire Foy set an impossibly high bar that neither subsequent actress has met for me, despite them both being very good.

1000%. My wife has commented on both Olivia and Imelda's takes and said they simply cannot measure up to what Claire brought to the table in S1 and 2.

you're not missing too much in the remaining episodes. They do the Bashir interview and lay out up against the Gunpowder Plot (due to it being recorded on Nov 5th)...and the only really good thing is that they show Bashir as the grasping, shady POS he always was and show that Diana regretted it after when she realized that people were going to view her poorly. They then spend time showing us how the Royals getting an actual divorce had to happen in the same courtroom as most other divorces by juxtaposing it against 3 other couples who had bad marriages, which I have to admit was a WEIRD ass way to play it. I think Peter Morgan is too much of a Royal-fan to get out from under his own bias sometimes. I don't need Charles and Diana's divorce normalized as if I imagined that it happened on some higher plane...of course it happens like other divorces. And the last ep is the decommissioning of the royal yacht that the first ep focused on, juxtaposed against Charles being sent to Hong Kong for the handover to China, the yacht's final trip. What really blew my mind about that episode is they spend like the last 5 minutes with Elizabeth reverently walking around the yacht for one last time to "say good-bye"...and my wife was like "Oh, did they dismantle it?" and I was staring at the show incredulous and said "No, it's docked permanently in Edinburgh, and is now a tourist attraction."....the episode wants you to feel INTENSELY sad that the boat is being decommissioned and acts very much like it will be destroyed....so when Liz is walking around touching it so gingerly I'm like "Lady, it ain't gone...you can go see it anytime you want for 18.5 pounds!"

Jaysus.

#7277 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 29 November 2022 - 07:45 PM

Watching The Peripheral on Amazon. The book is great, the show, not so much.

It started off moderately well in the first couple of episodes, but quickly dropped off a cliff in quality afterwards. I get the feeling that the writers weren't terribly interested in the economic warfare/social engineering aspect of the plot (which was imo one of the more interesting aspects of the book), and just seem to be more concerned with regular doses of interpersonal violence. They've also woefully miscast Inspector Lowbeer (after making us wait far too long for her to show up). The actor playing her is doing one of the worst English accents imaginable; she pronounces all sorts of words completely incorrectly (very posh Brits absolutely do not pronounce "institute" like that). Her dialogue coach, if she had one, has really dropped the ball on that one. I find myself wincing every time she drops an American pronunciation, like a hand grenade, into the middle of a sentence that is supposed to sound like cut-glass English.

I get that when adapting a book for television, you have to make choices, excisions and additions, but I'm inescapably reminded of the old adage: "It is both original and good; what is good is not original, and what is original is not good." Most of the cast are working manfully with their roles, such as they are, but it's really to no avail because the writing is so awful.

It's a shame, because I enjoyed the book greatly, and and was looking forward to seeing what could be done with it. And it's obvious that a fair bit of cash was dropped on it because the technical aspects (set design, effects etc, especially in London) look fantastic.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 29 November 2022 - 08:09 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#7278 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:18 AM

6 eps into Our Flag Means Death and I'm really liking it. It's not laugh a minute like What We Do In the Shadows, but the entire cast is still very good and amiable, and I just click with Rhys Darby's sense of humor. Ewen Bremner as the mate Buttons is SO good and completely unrecognizable.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7279 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:19 PM

The WILLOW tv show starts on Disney+ today!

I love that his real life daughter Anabelle is playing Willow's grown up daughter Mims. And seeing Joanne Whalley reprise Sorsha will be a joy....I had SUCH a crush and I loved her in the first film...and I'm curious what they will tell us about what happened to Madmartigan.

I'm also intensely curious who is playing Elora and what her part in the narrative will be, she's obviously of age to have taken control as Empress of Air Asleen, but it seems like Sorsha is still in charge...so where's Elora Danan?

#7280 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:04 PM

Really enjoyed the first two eps of WILLOW on Disney+.

Spoiler

Really excited to see where this goes. It's hitting all the right notes for me so far.

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users