• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#7041 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 April 2022 - 09:32 PM

Started up Better Things season 5 (the last season). Two episodes in and I'm not liking it as I did the previous seasons. It seems like maybe they took it a season too long. Only finished the 2nd episode so hopefully it gets better. It's the last season so I'll probably stick with it regardless.

On the plus side to watching Better Things season 5, I learned that Atlanta season 3 is finally here. Damn, it's been a good while since season 2 ended. Atlanta, on a lot of critics lists, is one of (if not the best shows ever), the best shows of the 2010s era. I fully agree.

#7042 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 April 2022 - 03:36 PM

I bounced off the first episode of the Vox Machina TV-show on Netflix. However YouTube started suggesting compilations from the Critical Role campaign that inspired the show.

Somehow I now find myself ten hours into the casts original campaign. This is oddly fun to watch, very chill. It helps that these people are trained actors.

#7043 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 April 2022 - 12:44 PM

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2022 - 03:36 PM, said:

I bounced off the first episode of the Vox Machina TV-show on Netflix. However YouTube started suggesting compilations from the Critical Role campaign that inspired the show.

Somehow I now find myself ten hours into the casts original campaign. This is oddly fun to watch, very chill. It helps that these people are trained actors.

Stick with it and you won't regret it. I felt the same when I first started watching it... how am I enjoying this so much..!??!

I'd never gamed or watched DnD but always had an interest. Found Critical Role after reading about the Kickstarter and I gave it a shot at the start of lockdown, absolutely flew through the first campaign. Loved it. There are so many epic/funny/sad moments to enjoy and the show improves the further you get into the campaign.

You'll also find yourself hearing the casts voices everywhere now you know them, especially when you're a gamer. They're in shitloads stuff.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7044 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 April 2022 - 05:33 PM

Wow, CNN out Quibi'd Quibi. The CNN+ streaming service is shutting down less than a month after launch. I mean when one of your gems is a show called "Jake Tapper's Book Club", how can you miss with that?

#7045 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 April 2022 - 07:14 PM

Ozark.
Season 2.
Aka, 'no supporting cast member is safe'.

Wow!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7046 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 April 2022 - 10:47 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 April 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

Ozark.
Season 2.

Wow!

Is this show actually good? I'm sort of interested but I'm not sure I can be bothered haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7047 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 April 2022 - 02:38 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 21 April 2022 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 April 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

Ozark.
Season 2.

Wow!

Is this show actually good? I'm sort of interested but I'm not sure I can be bothered haha

I was skeptical. It won me over, quickly. Worth the look.

#7048 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 24 April 2022 - 06:01 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 April 2022 - 09:32 PM, said:

Started up Better Things season 5 (the last season). Two episodes in and I'm not liking it as I did the previous seasons. It seems like maybe they took it a season too long. Only finished the 2nd episode so hopefully it gets better. It's the last season so I'll probably stick with it regardless.

Need to amend this. I'm up to current (one episode left) and it gets better. I still am a bit exhausted by the shitty daughters act, but they seem to bring it back to a place of harmony always. It's a formula in play since the start of the show and has pretty much gotten as much mileage out of it as possible. Probably why I was sort of not feeling this last season. It has gotten better though. The episode where they travel to London is really solid. Looking forward to how it wraps up. I'm sure there will be a lot of tears.

#7049 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 April 2022 - 06:30 PM

^^ Finished this. A sweet and succinct last episode. Closing out the last episode with each cast member singing a part of Always Look on the Bright Side of Life was a great way to bring down the curtain on the series. I found myself discreetly dabbing away moisture around my eyes.

#7050 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 May 2022 - 02:53 PM

Fargo season 4. I need time to decompress and let it marinate, but it could very well be my second favorite season of the series. One warning though, it starts out plodding (eleven episodes at an hour+) for the first four episodes as it is doing a lot of expose and set up, but by episode 5 it steps on the gas and goes from there. Been awhile since watching seasons 1 - 3 but season 4 could very well be the most violent of the seasons. Mob war with no capitulation all the way till the end. Also, season 4 might convey the strongest Coeny (is that a thing? Posted Image) of the Coen Brothers movie making stylings. If nothing else, you have to watch episode 9. That episode ("East/West") is one of the most perfectly shot and executed hour long dramas I think I've witnessed. Also, I should have picked up on the reveal in the closing credits of the last episode, but as mentioned, it's been awhile since I watched the earlier seasons. It was a "holy fuck!" moment, followed by "oh yeah, makes sense." In summation, Fargo season 4 is well worth the effort. Is there going to be a season 5?

#7051 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 May 2022 - 05:07 PM

"Wow, this show really drops viewers into the middle of the story and trusts them to figure it out!"

- Me, watching YELLOWSTONE for the first time, thinking i'm watching S1ep1, actually watching S4ep1.

#7052 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2022 - 05:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 May 2022 - 05:07 PM, said:

"Wow, this show really drops viewers into the middle of the story and trusts them to figure it out!"

- Me, watching YELLOWSTONE for the first time, thinking i'm watching S1ep1, actually watching S4ep1.

Well.....The reason the wife and I have not progressed in the series yet is because S1Ep1 is ALSO like that....we were SO lost in the first few eps we've simply not returned yet.

I think there show runners and writers just like this type of storytelling.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7053 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 May 2022 - 04:58 AM

Mike Hagerty, one of the most prolific and recognizable character actors of the past several decades, has died. Good time to mention that Somebody Somewhere on HBO is a wonderful show, and he was great in it.

Posted Image

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7054 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:33 AM

The Pentaverate, on Netflix. Mike Myers new show.

Ep 1 and a bit:

WTF am I watching? :wacko:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7055 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 May 2022 - 03:56 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 08 May 2022 - 08:33 AM, said:

The Pentaverate, on Netflix. Mike Myers new show.

Ep 1 and a bit:

WTF am I watching? :wacko:

You’re watching a show that was spun off of a single joke from SO I MARRIED AN AXE MURDERER.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7056 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2022 - 01:26 PM

Watched the first episode of THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT on HBO MAx...and I have two issues with it so far.

1. Kaley Cuoco is INGRAINED in my consciousness as Penny from Big Bang Theory...so taking her serious on this show is HARD.
2. They edit montages and phone calls, and stuff like that with separate windows (2-4) like a really bizarre 24 homage...but without the cleverness..and it's fucking IRRITATING. Worse, when it's 2 windows, they allow both to be widescreen formatted, and thus you have massive (like more than half the screen) black bars and the action is in two thin windows.

Beyond that it's fine I guess..but the lead is full tilt hallucinating and is a raging alcoholic...I'm sure this is done to throw the viewer off of what is going on...it's a mystery show after all...but holy shit it's blatant and obvious.

She also makes DUMB decisions. Like my wife and I kept going "why would she do ________ instead of __________?"

Anyways...not sure how much we'll watch...it better impress us with the second episode or we might jump off.

Finished S1 and it got INFINITELY better from Ep 2 onwards. Really fun season. Snappy dialogue. Twisty mystery and a few cool visual hooks. Worth your time. Ignore how bad the first ep seems.

Gonna start S2 soon.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 May 2022 - 01:26 PM

#7057 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 May 2022 - 04:54 PM

For sure going to watch this. What do you guys think George Carlin's take would be on current events / the state of things?

#7058 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 May 2022 - 05:46 PM

View Postchamp, on 16 April 2022 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on 15 April 2022 - 03:36 PM, said:

Stick with it and you won't regret it. I felt the same when I first started watching it... how am I enjoying this so much..!??!

I'd never gamed or watched DnD but always had an interest. Found Critical Role after reading about the Kickstarter and I gave it a shot at the start of lockdown, absolutely flew through the first campaign. Loved it. There are so many epic/funny/sad moments to enjoy and the show improves the further you get into the campaign.

You'll also find yourself hearing the casts voices everywhere now you know them, especially when you're a gamer. They're in shitloads stuff.

I'm now on episode 24 of Critical Role season 1

This show is phenomenal. The highs and lows of the story is amazing. I know there's a little planning behind the scene but it's incredible that all this is improvised storytelling. I've never been so worried about central characters dying from a bad roll of the dice. And I love the chemistry between the cast.

#7059 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 May 2022 - 03:39 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 May 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

For sure going to watch this. What do you guys think George Carlin's take would be on current events / the state of things?

He would sit down, take a hit off a joint the size of your arm, lean back, exhale a cloud to rival Mt St Helen's, and say 'Yeah, I warned you. i fucking warned you.... about all of it, i completely totally warned you. It all happened anyways. Now what are you going to fucking do about it?'.

#7060 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 May 2022 - 12:36 PM

View PostAbyss, on 10 May 2022 - 03:39 AM, said:

He would sit down, take a hit off a joint the size of your arm, lean back, exhale a cloud to rival Mt St Helen's, and say 'Yeah, I warned you. i fucking warned you.... about all of it, i completely totally warned you. It all happened anyways. Now what are you going to fucking do about it?'.

Yep. And I wish he was still here. His standup from like decades ago is so perfectly relevant today that you could not write better material that is topical.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Facebook