• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#6941 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:50 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 January 2022 - 01:33 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 January 2022 - 11:53 PM, said:

Finished watching Superstore now they've put the last season up on Netflix. Honestly one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time, and they kept the energy and laughs right to the end.

Almost done with the last season and I agree...but I will say that it seems like they might be lining Jonah back up to end up with Amy and that will bother me. Also, nowhere near enough Bo in the last season, otherwise super solid.

I think you'll enjoy the ending. Without spoilers it's very much a "end of a sitcom" type thing but it was satisfying nonetheless. :)

And yes, Bo just brings an utterly chaotic hilarity every time he's on screen.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6942 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:06 PM

Reccomending the show Baskets if you haven't seen it. Louie Anderson has died and was the shining gem of the show playing the character of the mom / Christine Baskets.

#6943 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 22 January 2022 - 07:41 PM

What the heck? We wanted to watch Outlander on Amazon video but it requires an extra subscription/buying the season? Something called StarzPlay, never heard of it... That's frustrating!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6944 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:33 AM

Starz is the pay cable network (like HBO, Showtime, etc.) that makes Outlander. The potential good news is that they constantly have like "first 6 months for $1.99 per month" deals, so worth checking if StarzPlay does the same thing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6945 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:58 AM

View Postworry, on 23 January 2022 - 12:33 AM, said:

Starz is the pay cable network (like HBO, Showtime, etc.) that makes Outlander. The potential good news is that they constantly have like "first 6 months for $1.99 per month" deals, so worth checking if StarzPlay does the same thing.

Amazon Prime often has just the first season (or maybe first few seasons?) of a show available for free---good to check on that before watching if you're not too keen on spending extra. Trying to get people hooked before they realize they'll have to pay for more....

#6946 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:24 AM

StarzPlay is also hosting STATION ELEVEN which should debut there next week, so I'm holding off and then doing a trial to binge that show then.

The New Thing I've been watching is YELLOWJACKETS, which is on Showtime in the USA and NowTV in the UK. It's basically LOST mashed with a more serious DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES. The show's conceit is that it takes place in two time periods. In 1996 it follows the lives of several members of a New Jersey high school's female soccer team. They get a spot in the national competition and fly to Seattle on a private plane (one of the girls' parents is rich) to take part. However, a massive storm forces them waaaay to the north, out in the middle of nowhere in Canada, where the plane promptly crashes, killing most of the adults on board. The 20 survivors have to work out how to survive, what they can eat and whether fleeing overland is viable or if it's better to stay near the crash site.

The second part of the story takes place in 2021, with the 25th anniversary of the crash approaching. Four of the girls are now grown women in their forties, but clearly (and understandably) still traumatised by the events. Straight up they say there are other survivors but not how many, introducing some note of tension to the 1996 storyline: we know those four girls survive, but everyone else is fair game to be killed off. The 2021 storyline - somehow, despite taking place in New Jersey suburbia - manages to get as crazy as the 1996 storyline of desperate wilderness survival.

The show's masterstroke is casting actual 1990s teen actresses (Christina Ricci, Juliette Lewis, Melanie Lynskey from HEAVENLY CREATURES) as the older versions of the characters, and picking actresses with a really strong resemblance to one another (especially Samantha Hanratty and Ricci as the two versions of the free-roaming agent of random chaos, Misty, who are uncannily similar). It also connects the two storylines to one another in more ways then it initially appears, and it's interesting seeing events in 1996 which are then reflected in events in 2021. There's a huge series of plot twists towards the end of the run which makes it clearer how this is going to be multi-season show.

Obviously any show which is even vaguely aping LOST runs the risk of running into the same problems as that series, although YELLOWJACKETS benefits from a smaller number of survivors to deal with (20 rather than 70) and only 10 episodes per season rather than 25. It also doesn't have as restrictive and strict a flashback device. What it does do as successfully as LOST is create a bunch of interesting characters and put them in dire straits they have to deal with, whilst building up some interesting mysteries. Whether those mysteries lead anywhere is another question. One thing the show does make absolutely 100% crystal clear is that the story is going to get very dark and it's not going to be as pleasant a ride as LOST was (LOST had darker moments, but generally from threats outside the group since they solved all their supply problems in the first few episodes of the show; YELLOWJACKETS has finding food being an omnipresent problem and one that's going to get a hell of a lot worse when winter arrives).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#6947 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:24 AM

Thankfully Amazon mentioned it at the beginning of S1E1 so we didn't go in blind. The only offer we got was 7 days free sadly.

Started watching The Boys instead and wow that was a pretty violent death!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6948 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:28 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 January 2022 - 04:24 AM, said:

You're going to have to be a lot more specific. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6949 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:47 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 23 January 2022 - 08:28 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 January 2022 - 04:24 AM, said:

You're going to have to be a lot more specific. :p

Well the big one in episode 1 is when she gets hit by A-Train near the beginning. That was nasty!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6950 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:16 PM

Watched the first two episodes of Doom Patrol. Really fun show. Brendan Fraser is gold as the voice as Robotman. Also love the breaking of the fourth wall:

"Who are you talking to?"

"Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions, and the three new fans who stuck around after the donkey fart."

This aint your CW version of DC properties, oh no. It reminds me in some ways of FX's Legion (which is excellent and you should seek out). But yeah, it's violent, and there are boobies, and it's inappropriate and mean spirited and puerile, with adolescent behavior... and it's glorious. Think I'm going to try and continue it.

#6951 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:43 PM

Wife got is started watching Yellowjackets on Showtime. About halfway through the first season, it’s actually pretty good so far. Or at least the story is interesting enough to keep watching. It’s also possible I just really like it for all the all the 90s nostalgia.

We watched the Friends reunion over the weekend. The parts where it’s just the cast sitting around talking, watching bloopers, or generally reminiscing was awesome. The parts with James Cordon they could have just completely cut.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 26 January 2022 - 11:45 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6952 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:45 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 January 2022 - 11:43 PM, said:

We watched the Friends reunion over the weekend. The parts where it’s just the cast sitting around talking, watching bloopers, or generally reminiscing was awesome. The parts with James Cordon they could have just completely cut.

James Corden RUINED that whole thing. He's fucking cancerous and I don't know why they keep giving him those posh opportunities.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6953 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:59 PM

He must have...I can't think of the idiom...something/someone in high places.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6954 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:15 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 January 2022 - 11:43 PM, said:

The parts with James Cordon they could have just completely cut.

This sentence can be inserted anywhere James Corden appears and would be completely valid.

@worry
Mountain goats? Singing Austrian nuns? Yellow snow? Yeti?

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 27 January 2022 - 02:16 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6955 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 January 2022 - 06:18 PM

Yellowjackets faltered a bit episode 9, but 10 was solid. I’m in for season 2.

Legend of Vox Machina drops today! I haven’t been really hyped for a show in years. Took the afternoon off to watch the first 3.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 28 January 2022 - 08:44 PM

#6956 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

Spoiler alert. It was fucking awesome.

#6957 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 January 2022 - 10:03 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 January 2022 - 08:49 PM, said:

Spoiler alert. It was fucking awesome.

Agreed. Get on it, nerds! :thumbsup:

#6958 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 29 January 2022 - 05:45 PM

Willem Dafoe hosting SNL tonight. SNL has shit the bed this season but I'm hoping this one, because of Dafoe, will be off the rails batshit crazy.

Also - TIL Dafoe has never hosted SNL. That's surprising.

#6959 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 January 2022 - 10:29 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 December 2021 - 03:51 AM, said:

*cough um, I'll just drop this here.

New trailer. Not liking the cgi look of the fight scene, hopefully that can be chalked up to early look and can be cleaned up and fixed for when the final product is released. Overall I'm sort of excited about this tbh. I'll wait and see how it is received, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Also this: https://www.youtube....h?v=oooEirN5CLY . Good for a snort and a chortle.

#6960 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:55 PM

The Olympics are a reprehensible affair, but this year it is particularly reprehensible. How do you select a winter site where 100% of the snow has to be man-made? So I'm probably not going to watch any of it, but I wanted to bring to your attention that these masters of curling are back representing USA. Also, it's the four year Olympic cycle where people care about curling again.

https://thegrandslam...s/team-shuster/

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 388 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users