• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#4421 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 May 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Riverdale is absurd camp and it's fun to watch. But Cheryl becoming a Serpent is extra absurd.

I mean it’s ok for you to be wrong. That scene was extra badass. But then, I full on watch this show for over the top camp.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4422 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

The purpose of the Serpents was explained in that weird First Nations episode with the protest - to protect the people of color in the Southside who were being driven out and down by the very rich white Northside people.

Cheryl Blossom is part of the richest and whitest family in Riverdale.

That's the part that doesn't make much sense. Yeah, I get that she saved Jughead and has been a good friend, but they just had an episode about this and kept referencing it for the whole season!
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4423 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:07 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 May 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

The purpose of the Serpents was explained in that weird First Nations episode with the protest - to protect the people of color in the Southside who were being driven out and down by the very rich white Northside people.

Cheryl Blossom is part of the richest and whitest family in Riverdale.

That's the part that doesn't make much sense. Yeah, I get that she saved Jughead and has been a good friend, but they just had an episode about this and kept referencing it for the whole season!

Cheryl’s plot line for two seasons has been that she’s been maligned, double crossed, and emotionally destroyed by her own family...and the one person she cared about and shared a bond with...her father murdered in cold blood, and now are even rejecting her further for being gay, while her mom shacks up with her uncle and THEY try to screw her over too.

I don’t give a flying crap what her lineage is, or skin colour is...if anyone deserves to be a serpent bucking the shitty system of rich people on the north side, it’s fucking Cheryl.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4424 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

The problem with saying Cheryl deserves to be a Serpent is that she's basically able to survive all of these terrible things because she is a very wealthy Northside person.

Plus the Serpents basically have no idea what Cheryl has had happen to her beyond her insistence upon dropping the flag for the drag race with the Goonies..

It's a shoehorn and one that doesn't really need to happen. At this rate, Principal Weatherbee gonna be a Serpent in twelve episodes.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4425 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:34 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 May 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

The problem with saying Cheryl deserves to be a Serpent is that she's basically able to survive all of these terrible things because she is a very wealthy Northside person.

Plus the Serpents basically have no idea what Cheryl has had happen to her beyond her insistence upon dropping the flag for the drag race with the Goonies..

It's a shoehorn and one that doesn't really need to happen. At this rate, Principal Weatherbee gonna be a Serpent in twelve episodes.

Yeah, you’ve decided to insert your own view I think here. It works fine with what they’ve presented us with. Just because of someone’s birth and upbringing, does not make them immune to being the “south sider” as it were.

I’ll say this once. Being wealthy does NOT mean you don’t go through shit, or you don’t suffer from mental health issues derived from family. She comes from a fucked up family.

You seem to imply that wealth = “you’ll be fine, really, stop complaining” and that is really quite a poor view and speaks to misunderstanding familial strife,

Sorry.

#4426 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

I knew this would be the show that ripped this board in half.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4427 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 21 May 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

I knew this would be the show that ripped this board in half.

Cheesy over the top soap operas are usually that way!

You’d cant argue over GOOD television after all.

#4428 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

Maybe I'll give it a shot. CW shows pop up on Netflix almost immediately it seems. I'm not a fan of primetime soaps generally, but there's always exceptions to the rule.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4429 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 21 May 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

Maybe I'll give it a shot. CW shows pop up on Netflix almost immediately it seems. I'm not a fan of primetime soaps generally, but there's always exceptions to the rule.

Judging by your previous TV and film taste...I'm tempted to believe you won't like it. But give it a go anyways if you like!

Sidebar: This was on Netflix because in Canada we don't have The CW as an actual channel, so it's simulcast on Netflix here instead.

#4430 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:30 PM

so, my casual meandering across the interwebs found out that they're making a TV series of the comic "The Boys" starring Karl Urban.

Huh.

If it manages to keep the level of insane seediness that the comic had, this could be quite entertaining.
meh. Link was dead :(

#4431 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:59 PM

View PostCoco with marshmallows, on 22 May 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

so, my casual meandering across the interwebs found out that they're making a TV series of the comic "The Boys" starring Karl Urban.

Huh.

If it manages to keep the level of insane seediness that the comic had, this could be quite entertaining.

The first episode was supposed to be directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (it's their brainchild), but they had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts. Instead it's going to be directed by Dan Trachtenberg, director of 10 Cloverfield Lane.

Also, Antony Starr is starring (lol) in it!

#4432 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

The Boys has fallen down at the first hurdle by not casting Simon Pegg as Hughie.

Anyway, I hope you all have been watching Killing Eve, I see Briar King has been giving it love. I started it on Monday and just started watching episode 5, it's superb. One of those intense-relationship-between-lawperson-and-psycho jobbies like Luther and Hannibal, except in this case it's two women, an MI5 agent (Sandra Oh) and a contract killer (Jodie Comer). Both are absolutely brilliant, and the show balances being savagely funny with just being savage and darkly off-kilter in just the right ways. Even when it's being obvious it surprises.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 24 May 2018 - 10:55 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4433 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 25 May 2018 - 04:38 AM

I only saw one brief trailer that didn't really make it look like anything, but from the overall marketing and word of mouth it was seemingly being sold as for fans of Hannibal. It isn't really like that but you can see why and it's a definite inspiration.

Also, it got renewed before it even started airing. Clearly they were very confident in it and with reason because apparently the viewing figures have gone up with every episode, which doesn't happen often.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 25 May 2018 - 04:49 AM

#4434 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:06 AM

About to (finally) start season 3 of DETECTORISTS I can't wait! I cried at the same part as I did last time in S2, I'm such a big softie haha.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4435 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:13 PM

Killing Eve finished and I am delighted that I found this show. It's ace. Watch it y'all.

#4436 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:43 PM

Re-watching Arrested Development before i watch the 2 new seasons i havent seen.

Still awesome.

Her?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4437 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:59 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 28 May 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Re-watching Arrested Development before i watch the 2 new seasons i havent seen.

Still awesome.

Her?

I hated season 4 but I think their remix version should make it better. Might watch that before the new one...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4438 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:40 PM

ROSEANNE cancelled by ABC after her racist twitter rant this morning.

And fair enough really.

#4439 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Yeah I've seen some stuff about it. The cast seemed to be leaving in droves anyway. Could have probably seen this coming though...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4440 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 29 May 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Yeah I've seen some stuff about it. The cast seemed to be leaving in droves anyway. Could have probably seen this coming though...

For sure. It only really sucks because it was an LGBT creator who strove to make it happen (Sara Gilbert), and some solid POC in behind the scenes, like Wanda Sykes (who left anyways).

But yeah, it seems like Roseanne's real life caustic, racist, and conspiracy theorist personality was too much for anyone to take.

I'm going to choose to not miss it, in hindsight. I liked it. I found it funny. But some things are worth standing up for even in the face of solid ratings for ABC....so in my eyes ABC made the right call here. Roseanne is behaving abhorrently and people aren't willing to tolerate it.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users