• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#3821 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Curb Your Enthusiasm hasn't missed a step. The premier episode of this latest season has a fatwa being issued by the Ayatollah of Iran on Larry. You can only imagine what hijinx have transpired since. Posted Image

#3822 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:43 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 October 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

Curb Your Enthusiasm hasn't missed a step. The premier episode of this latest season has a fatwa being issued by the Ayatollah of Iran on Larry. You can only imagine what hijinx have transpired since. Posted Image

I saw one episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm once, I really, really didn't find it funny so I never bothered watching any others. Can't even remember what happened in the episode now it was quite awhile ago.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#3823 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

I usually do but sometimes I just know I'm not going to enjoy something, did the same with Arrested Development, people rave about it, so I watched an episode and I genuinely found it painfully unfunny, so I never bothered watching it again.

#3824 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 23 October 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

I usually do but sometimes I just know I'm not going to enjoy something, did the same with Arrested Development, people rave about it, so I watched an episode and I genuinely found it painfully unfunny, so I never bothered watching it again.

AD is not really a regular sitcom, in that you can't just drop in on one episode an expect it to be enjoyable/intelligible. Each episode builds upon previous ones to weave a tapestry of layered humour.

#3825 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 23 October 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 23 October 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

AD is not really a regular sitcom, in that you can't just drop in on one episode an expect it to be enjoyable/intelligible. Each episode builds upon previous ones to weave a tapestry of layered humour.

Except season 4. I could have quite happily never watched that.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3826 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Unless my memory is worse than I thought I think I watched the pilot episode - seemed logical to start at the beginning - so perhaps if I'd given it more time my opinion would have changed, but I vehemently disliked that first episode, found myself genuinely wondering why everyone thinks it's such a good show. There's always a chance I'll give it another go sometime I suppose, but I just couldn't see how it would ever become something I'd enjoy.

#3827 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Sure. I get it. Larry David is not for everyone. So yeah, I find Curb Your Enthusiasm hilarious but get that others do not. I would say there is a common theme building through this season so you may have to try a few episodes to get pulled in to what they are doing, but by no means should you torture yourself and keep watching if you just couldn't stay with the first episode.

Interesting fact: Larry David has recently gained notoriety for his impersonation of Bernie Sanders, well it was found that he and Sanders are related. http://www.cnn.com/2...ders/index.html

#3828 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

I was thinking guys. Do you think the upcoming show on History ch. Knightfall is trying to be too cutesy with the name? I mean, what is it attempting to convey? Like, a knight that falls in battle? Or maybe night falling and then darkness and so they are trying to fight back the night or something? I dunno. The name is just really causing me much vexation.

#3829 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

It's about the Fall of the Knights Templar in 1307, in a remarkably well-known event that took place across Europe VIA the Pastoralis Praeeminentiae (Order 66) Papal Bull to arrest them and seize their assets and put them to trial for heresy.

Seems fairly self-explanatory and relevant to me as a title.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3830 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

It's about the Fall of the Knights Templar in 1307, in a remarkably well-known event that took place across Europe VIA the Pastoralis Praeeminentiae (Order 66) Papal Bull to arrest them and seize their assets and put them to trial for heresy.

Is it a drama? Cos I'd be all over a show like that! Or is it more like a documentary with people acting bits out?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3831 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 October 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Is it a drama? Cos I'd be all over a show like that! Or is it more like a documentary with people acting bits out?

It's done by the same people as VIKINGS as far as I know, and in the same fashion. It's a history-based fictional drama show. I think Tom Culllen is one of the leads?

Seems to start at the Fall of Acre (Dubrovnik was the set for that) and continue through the trials.

Here is the trailer.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 27 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3832 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 October 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

It's done by the same people as VIKINGS as far as I know, and in the same fashion. It's a history-based fictional drama show. I think Tom Culllen is one of the leads?

Seems to start at the Fall of Acre (Dubrovnik was the set for that) and continue through the trials.

Here is the trailer.

Looks pretty flipping good! Though if my memory of the fall of the Knights Templar serves me correctly, it's not going to end well for the lead characters...

And if the Assassins Creed lore is correct I shouldn't be rooting for them anyway!! :rolleyes:
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3833 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

I watched Battlebots a bunch in its original run. Is the reboot basically the same show?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3834 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:04 AM

The Starz Play app is available for Xbox, yah.

#3835 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:35 AM

$8.99, I think.

#3836 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

View Postworry, on 14 September 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Also tonight is the return of Better Things and I'm so excited. AV Club did a great, charming interview with the three kids: https://www.avclub.c...of-b-1806528484

I really like Better Things. But guys, I was thinking, should I still watch this show in light of what has come out about Louis C.K.? I mean it's a great show and all, but I dunno, do you think I should feel guilt and shame now in supporting something that has his name attached to it? (he's co-creator of the show).

I respect any and and all replies (and look forward to reading diverse and respectful viewpoints on the subject matter). Thanks much. Have a great day. Best.

#3837 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

Woohoo, Showcase will run Marvel's RUNAWAYS!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3838 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 09 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 14 September 2017 - 09:15 PM, said:

Also tonight is the return of Better Things and I'm so excited. AV Club did a great, charming interview with the three kids: https://www.avclub.c...of-b-1806528484

I really like Better Things. But guys, I was thinking, should I still watch this show in light of what has come out about Louis C.K.? I mean it's a great show and all, but I dunno, do you think I should feel guilt and shame now in supporting something that has his name attached to it? (he's co-creator of the show).

I respect any and and all replies (and look forward to reading diverse and respectful viewpoints on the subject matter). Thanks much. Have a great day. Best.

Better Things and Baskets are maybe my two favorite shows at the moment, and yah Louis has particularly huge input on BT w/ scripts even (and Pam Adlon is clearly one of his best friends/working partners) so it's definitely a tough question. At the very least, I want to hear the creative forces behind these shows cut any direct ties the shows have with Louis, before their next seasons.

#3839 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:32 AM

AFAIK she hasn't said anything. And I didn't mean to imply that I expect her (or Zach G.) to wrap their heads around this immediately, or that I put his actions on anyone but him. Just more that, now that the blinders are off, you gotta sever the professional ties.

#3840 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:43 AM

Yeah, I mean, I'll definitely keep watching both Better Things and Baskets myself because they are so good. And let the legal process handle these allegations. That's the thing too regarding this, these allegations against Louis C.K. are currently just that, allegations, right? Or have they been verified?

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users