• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#5821 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

Holy crap, I’m a season behind!

I know what I’m starting after finishing The Witcher.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5822 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

Restarted my Netflix subscription. There's a lot of stuff that needs watching. Rick & Morty season 4, Dracula, The Witcher, Dark, The Irishman.

Just finished all 5 new episodes of Rick and Morty. Amazing. This is probably the best TV show. Period. I'm wondering if that talking cat bit is going to return with a vengeance down the line.

Just started Dracula. Creepy as fuck so far. It's got a Danish actor playing Dracula so it's gotten a lot of buzz in the Danish press recently.

#5823 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Just finished the first Dracula episode.

Oh this is some cool shit. It's a weird alternative take on Bram Stoker's Dracula. What if Dracula was a bored psychopath with a big kink factor instead of a tragic monster?

It's not quite as scary or disgusting as I'd heard but it does get gory.

No more Dracula for tonight or I'll have nightmares.

#5824 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

View PostAptorian, on 11 January 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

Just finished the first Dracula episode.

Oh this is some cool shit. It's a weird alternative take on Bram Stoker's Dracula. What if Dracula was a bored psychopath with a big kink factor instead of a tragic monster?

It's not quite as scary or disgusting as I'd heard but it does get gory.

No more Dracula for tonight or I'll have nightmares.

I quite like the way he just folds up people he doesn't like and stores them in boxes.

His 90's Pierce Brosnan hair is pretty funny too.

I really liked the concept for the 3rd part but they didn't take it far enough imo - it could have been a blast.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5825 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

Finished Dracula earlier. The first two parts are great. I love the actress who plays Agatha Van Helsing.

I HATED the third and last part. It felt contrived and there's so many things that don't make sense from a writing standpoint.

Still I'd watch a second season.

Also watched the first episode of the German Dark TV series. Not a lot happens but it sure has potential.

I think there's a murder sending bodies through time. Or something.

#5826 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:30 PM

If they'd taken the parallels with the book into the modern day it would have worked... what they did, however, didn't.

Realised that I've never watched Rick and Morty. Immediately rectified this by putting on episode 1. Got myself something new to keep me occupied by the look!
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5827 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

You won't like Rick and Morty. Too many poop jokes. I bet soup to nuts, if you make it to the 'Mr. Poopybuthole' episode, you'll drop it.

Posted Image

https://rickandmorty...._Poopybutthole

#5828 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:18 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 January 2020 - 10:44 PM, said:

You won't like Rick and Morty. Too many poop jokes. I bet soup to nuts, if you make it to the 'Mr. Poopybuthole' episode, you'll drop it.

Posted Image

https://rickandmorty...._Poopybutthole

Hey, I'm not adverse to poop jokes. My comments about the poop thread were made after listening to the podcast Tenverybigbooks, and the interview with SE. I just thought, there are people out there new to the series. They've just started the series, and in the same way I found this site, they will go online for questions. There are more places to look for these than back then - I just happened to think that, if I came looking at the site for the first time, and the first thing at the top of the recent posts was about how members shit - I would probably look elsewhere. But hey I won't mention it again, feel free to compare morning dumps at will! It was just a concern for what the site is here for but I won't go all Mal at you, carry on.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 13 January 2020 - 08:20 AM

#5829 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:56 AM

Regarding Rick and Morty - When I watched some episodes the first time I was put off by Rick and his drunk, drooling depiction. It was extremely off putting. But they turn that down later on, maybe for story reason, and it just keeps getting better season after season. Incredibly well written and imaginative show.

#5830 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:20 AM

Rick and Morty is also very dark in places. Hilariously brutally dark. I love it so much.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5831 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostAptorian, on 13 January 2020 - 08:56 AM, said:

Regarding Rick and Morty - When I watched some episodes the first time I was put off by Rick and his drunk, drooling depiction. It was extremely off putting. But they turn that down later on, maybe for story reason, and it just keeps getting better season after season. Incredibly well written and imaginative show.

I was going to ask about that - it's the only off putting thing! The constant slurring and drooling and weird speech is kind of ok for a bit but started to grate by the end.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 13 January 2020 - 10:26 AM

#5832 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:09 PM

Oh, THE CROWN s3.... you're killing me here. I'm trying, i really am, but if all you're going to do is show your leads standing around looking stoic and royal while more interesting things happen around them, we're going to have to break up.

Exception: Phillip in 'Bubiekins' but it's showing what other eps are lacking for me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5833 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

I mean, it's all a pretty massive part of the Queens life (not to mention Phillip's entire outlook on himself and society) as a sort of "thing that happens around them"....but the second half of the season when it deals with Charles is REALLY where the season shines. As an aside the best episode they do is one featuring Charles...and the second best is Phillip Meets the Moon Astronauts.

But yeah, a lot of what happens early on in the seasons is more about how the world around them is changing, and expectations are changing. If Aberfan had happened during her fathers time...he would have treated it like she tried to and no one would have batted an eye....but to do that in there 70's was tantamount to being derelict of duty and she had no idea....add in Phillip's change in personality begins on that episode. There's lots there, it just doesn't pay off till later. Hell, if Winston was still around during the Aberfan stuff he could have played interception for him....but the changing guard that happens in the PM seat after the hole that Churchill left...there is no longer a buffer...and worse yet less and less people are willing to tow the Line for the Royals.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 January 2020 - 04:19 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5834 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Due to the use of infinite, alternate universes and how it's incorporated into the show, Rick and Morty can be really fucked up. But in the most gloriously fucked up way.

#5835 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 January 2020 - 06:03 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 January 2020 - 04:17 PM, said:

I mean, it's all a pretty massive part of the Queens life (not to mention Phillip's entire outlook on himself and society) as a sort of "thing that happens around them"....but the second half of the season when it deals with Charles is REALLY where the season shines. As an aside the best episode they do is one featuring Charles...and the second best is Phillip Meets the Moon Astronauts.

But yeah, a lot of what happens early on in the seasons is more about how the world around them is changing, and expectations are changing. If Aberfan had happened during her fathers time...he would have treated it like she tried to and no one would have batted an eye....but to do that in there 70's was tantamount to being derelict of duty and she had no idea....add in Phillip's change in personality begins on that episode. There's lots there, it just doesn't pay off till later. Hell, if Winston was still around during the Aberfan stuff he could have played interception for him....but the changing guard that happens in the PM seat after the hole that Churchill left...there is no longer a buffer...and worse yet less and less people are willing to tow the Line for the Royals.

This is part of the problem... the setting, the point in time, yes, its all interesting. But (for me) the cast ... or its the performance they are directed to deliver even...is not. Phillips' mother was the most interesting person in the season to date. The royals are stoic, their staff are stoic, the press and public are either indignant or stoic... The exception, the Labour people, might as well be twirling mustaches every time we see them.

#5836 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:26 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 January 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

This is part of the problem... the setting, the point in time, yes, its all interesting. But (for me) the cast ... or its the performance they are directed to deliver even...is not. Phillips' mother was the most interesting person in the season to date. The royals are stoic, their staff are stoic, the press and public are either indignant or stoic... The exception, the Labour people, might as well be twirling mustaches every time we see them.

I think that stoicism is part of what I like?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5837 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 January 2020 - 07:26 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 13 January 2020 - 06:03 PM, said:

I think that stoicism is part of what I like?

Sure. It's clearly what they're going for so it works for you and others.

Moi, I just prefer my leads to do more than stare out into space looking somber. It's not that they, or at least the Queen, have no agency, it's that they stare until they exert it, and then they stare looking vaguely satisfied afterwards. Give me a fist pump or a high five. Hell, even an enthusiastic 'Yes!'.

#5838 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Woah. Final episode of Titans season 1...

Spoiler

Straight onto season 2 now!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5839 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 14 January 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

Woah. Final episode of Titans season 1...

Spoiler

Straight onto season 2 now!

2 things:

Spoiler

#5840 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:19 PM

Yeah we were saying that felt like a really good finale and an intriguing season opener squashed into one... I'm ok with it because the whole thing is freaking incredible but it felt sightly jarring...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic