• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#5621 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:09 AM

Dude thanks for pointing out carnival row.. for whatever reason I thought this was a pass based off the previews.

Man this is good ! Enjoying it so far and it has one of my fav underrated actors Jared Harris.

Good pacing, amazing backdrop.. I love the messed up parts of its haughty culture. Good times @ traveler
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#5622 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

I only saw a couple of reviews after I'd seen the first ep, and unsurprisingly all they could use as a reference was GoTs, which of course it is anything but.

The faerie sex is probably the only unnecessary part I've seen so far, the show is strong enough to stand without going too far there.

The raid with the airships with the Fae buzzing about made me think of Ghibli films, especially Castle in the Sky.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 October 2019 - 05:28 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5623 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

Yeah, the gf and I both enjoyed Carnival Row. Great music, solid acting and lost of money poured into the set and costumes.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#5624 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

It will be interesting to see how much of the race factor will feature in the Witcher series. I've only played the games, but it seems like Carnival Row has the jump on it here; there will he inevitable comparisons if the Witcher features the same kind of dynamic, even if the Witcher did it first.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5625 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:04 PM

I enjoy RuPaul's Drag Race but I am 30minutes into episode 1 of the UK version. This is what has been missing from my life. I love my country.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#5626 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:10 PM

I know South Park is hit or miss (mostly miss for a lot of you), but in this recent season they are in top form. Their roasting and 'dressing-down' of China and how our corporate entertainment apparatus (*coughcough Disney, and booger eating Fart Warts pablum *cough) kowtows to their censorship demands is one for the ages and demands to be seen. I never knew Winnie the Pooh became a top target by China until watching the 'Band in China' episode, and whooboy the South Park guys hold no punches - Winnie and Piglet in a Chinese labor camp.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 10 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

#5627 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 October 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

I know South Park is hit or miss (mostly miss for a lot of you), but in this recent season they are in top form. Their roasting and 'dressing-down' of China and how our corporate entertainment apparatus (*coughcough Disney, and booger eating Fart Warts pablum *cough) kowtows to their censorship demands is one for the ages and demands to be seen. I never knew Winnie the Pooh became a top target by China until watching the 'Band in China' episode, and whooboy the South Park guys hold no punches - Winnie and Piglet in a Chinese labor camp.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#5628 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:17 PM

Huh, well I'll be damned, smack my ass and call me Sally. Watchmen begins this Sunday. I remember seeing the headline announcing that scroll across my feed. Seems like that was eons ago. How time flies.

I dunno know, I'm not too excited about it. I'll probably check it out though. Probably let about half the season go by before I find myself bored with nothing to do and cave into some binge action on it. If it sucks though I'll drop it like a fat kid drops a doge-ball in P.E. class.

#5629 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 October 2019 - 09:17 PM, said:

Huh, well I'll be damned, smack my ass and call me Sally. Watchmen begins this Sunday. I remember seeing the headline announcing that scroll across my feed. Seems like that was eons ago. How time flies.

I dunno know, I'm not too excited about it. I'll probably check it out though. Probably let about half the season go by before I find myself bored with nothing to do and cave into some binge action on it. If it sucks though I'll drop it like a fat kid drops a doge-ball in P.E. class.

I find it fascinating that it appears to be following the comic 'giant vagina alien suicide bomb' plotline as opposed to the movie's 'Dr Manhattan and his giant blue penis nuke NY'.

And they seem to be taking a fairly gritty/real path with the story... masked cops protecting their identities, White Supremacists adopting Roscharch's philosophy, Veidt as a corporate power.... this could be very very good, and HBO being HBO< there isn't much to stop it except the actual people making it.

I will be watching. The Watchmen.

...yah that's gonna get old...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5630 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Well, if the recent trend on HBO holds (e.g. Westworld, Euphoria, The Righteous Gemstones et al.), we'll be seeing a lot of huge flaccid penis.

#5631 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:17 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 October 2019 - 03:09 PM, said:

Well, if the recent trend on HBO holds (e.g. Westworld, Euphoria, The Righteous Gemstones et al.), we'll be seeing a lot of huge flaccid blue penis.

ftfy.

#5632 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

OH OH OH OH OH!!!!!!

#5633 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

I saw this this morning, and was going to post it...but I figured you'd see it eventually and post it. :D

Sufficed to say, since it was you that got me into BONE..., I'm chuffed to see this happening, and glad of the recco all those years ago.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5634 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:33 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 14 October 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 10 October 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5635 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

I find it fascinating that it appears to be following the comic 'giant vagina alien suicide bomb' plotline as opposed to the movie's 'Dr Manhattan and his giant blue penis nuke NY'.

And they seem to be taking a fairly gritty/real path with the story... masked cops protecting their identities, White Supremacists adopting Roscharch's philosophy, Veidt as a corporate power.... this could be very very good, and HBO being HBO< there isn't much to stop it except the actual people making it.

The fact that the showrunners understand Rorschach wasn't the 'good guy' is already a sign it's gonna be more thoughtful than the movie (which I liked okay, but it was significantly off).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5636 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

View Postworry, on 17 October 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

The fact that the showrunners understand Rorschach wasn't the 'good guy' is already a sign it's gonna be more thoughtful than the movie (which I liked okay, but it was significantly off).

I'm looking forward to that plot, very curious whether the show goes wholly to Rorschach's ugly side or something more ambiguous.

#5637 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

View Postworry, on 17 October 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

To be fair, Moore very deliberately never told you who was a "good guy" directly. He just left the clues around and allowed you to make up your own melon (in this case, that Rorschach subscribed to ring-wing ideologies and was fairly insane and racist). Snyder (who I'm told reads and enjoys shit like Ayn Rand and would not know a fictional narrative that was not a christ allegory in some fashion) simply didn't take the subtle cues in the story that NONE of them are really good...Night Owl maybe? But that Rorschach especially was not someone to hang your "hero" hat on.

But yeah, I agree that the show has at least got potential.

then again, it's Lindelof...soooooo

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 October 2019 - 07:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5638 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:41 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 October 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I saw this this morning, and was going to post it...but I figured you'd see it eventually and post it. :D

Sufficed to say, since it was you that got me into BONE..., I'm chuffed to see this happening, and glad of the recco all those years ago.

Ooh if this becomes a big show we can call the fandom Boners!

Never actually heard of it, worth checking out I'm assuming?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5639 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 17 October 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 October 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

Ooh if this becomes a big show we can call the fandom Boners!

Never actually heard of it, worth checking out I'm assuming?

VERY.

#5640 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

Recently I've been watching a show on Netflix called Dark Net and I guess it's kind of "Black Mirror but real" type thing. Each episode looks at different facets of dwhere tech is and uses real examples of how it works or has gone wrong. Lots of rage inducing moments (there's an ep on there about how the right wing has used the internet to deliberately spread falsehoods for example) but tonight I watched one that looked at "Truthers" specifically in relation to Sandy Hook and more I'm just really angry. And sad.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 389 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic