• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big TV Thread

#4221 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 10 March 2018 - 04:23 AM, said:

The wife says we're starting The Handmaids Tale tonight. We'll see how it goes.

This was actually pretty decent. Good enough i'm looking forward to season 2.

But they're also outside the original story material, so it could go either way.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4222 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 13 March 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Coupling is an awesome show, although the last season fell away a bit. The earlier episode about subtext (season 2 ep 3 - Her Best Friend's Bottom) is absolutely hilarious.

The last season (fourth) was when Jeff left the show, and was replaced with a new guy...and Jeff was easily the funniest character on the show, so it was a hit to the dynamic to lose him...but it allowed the other characters to shine a little more in other ways.

It was Steven Moffat's first big show (not including PRESS GANG obvs) where he showcased the kind of "concepts" he would bring to bear later when he was show runner on DOCTOR WHO. Episodes like the one where it's split-screen between the women and the men on their separate nights out, and the one where we see Jeff's conversation trying to pick up a hot Israeli woman in English while she only speaks Hebrew, and then seeing it again with her translated into English, and him speaking gibberish from her POV.

Plus, the show gave us lines like "I've got the keys to the gates of paradise! But I've got too many legs!"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4223 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

Got a chance to watch Altered Carbon. I enjoyed it. A very very good series. I have not read the book but I felt they did a great job dealing with the subject matter.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4224 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 13 March 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

But they're also outside the original story material, so it could go either way.

On the balance I thought that they improved on the book, so I’m looking fwd to what they can do beyond it.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4225 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:36 PM

Oh, and I finished Altered Carbon. Enjoyed it. The later episodes had more action, but didn't feel as tight as the first 6-7.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#4226 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

They brought back Doctor Who?!?!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4227 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:33 AM

So, I watched first episodes of - The Black Book, Coupling and The Office, UK.

Black Book - I absolutely loved it. Hilarious and engaging.

Coupling - seems to a bit more sex-oriented take on a gang of dysfunctional people. I might enjoy this.

Office UK - miles better than the Office US. The dialogue seems more appropriate here, Dawn is better than Pam, and Martin Freeman! But I have to say that Dwight in the US is a lot better than his UK counterpart.

#4228 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:30 AM

I just looked up what Live PD is and it sounds insane.

#4229 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:34 AM

It's the live aspect that is so crazy. What if you see someone's head fly off?

#4230 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:50 PM

Finished episode 7 of Counterpart. Wow, this show is really good. So engrossing.
Spoiler

If you guys have access, you should really be watching this show.

#4231 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 March 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

View PostSlow Ben, on 13 March 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

On the balance I thought that they improved on the book, so I’m looking fwd to what they can do beyond it.

Yet to wath this season but plan to get around to it. I know its based on a book but does anyone else remember an outer limits episode with the same theme. I want to say it starred Michael ironside. Of course it did. I read through every episode and I cant find it but I swear I have seen something based on this book before.

#4232 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

@BK: I don't have A&E but I saw a clip of Live PD on the Joel McHale Show. The dude getting arrested saw the camera and asked if he was on Cops.

#4233 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:58 PM

You guys watch. You make words about. Not so kind. Make fun. Make hate for. Me have open mind. Me watch anyway. Maybe a couple episodes anyway. See if me like. *oomph burp fart

#4234 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Been watching Starz CAMELOT which was the 2011 show that Michael Hurst (VIKINGS showrunner/writer), and Chris Chibnall (TORCHWOOD, BROADCHURCH, next DOCTOR WHO show runner/writer) made and which only (sadly) ran one season.

I'm REALLY surprised it never got more play. It's WELL crafted, shot, scored, acted ect. Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green As Morgan(na), and follows on the idea that Camelot is an ancient Roman Fort, and gives a kind of gritty, violent, bloody, and sex-filled account of The Once & Future King...I think just not a lot of people were willing to branch out at the time from the (still fresh) GAME OF THRONES...

But damn, as a fan of anything Arthurian...this show is a blast. Well worth the $12 I paid for all ten eps on iTunes. And luckily the first season was constructed so that IF it was only one season, there would be no major threads hanging on....which should make for a satisfying finale.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4235 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 March 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

You guys watch. You make words about. Not so kind. Make fun. Make hate for. Me have open mind. Me watch anyway. Maybe a couple episodes anyway. See if me like. *oomph burp fart

When I first heard a month or so ago that this was coming, i couldn't believe it, but didn't think much more about. I have a bit of a soft spot for the original film as I like several songs from the soundtrack (was a BIG fan of the band Survivor) and it was also my first exposure to bonsai trees, which i took up growing after I became an adult. I have no idea what to make of this after seeing the preview. Its a SLIGHTLY interesting twist that Johnny seems to be the one who begins to teach a bullied teen. But other than that, I don't know that there will be anything else worth watching this for.

Hilarious that it appears Johnny pulls his groin after that first kick! And Ralph Macchio finally appears to look about my age! Which is nice considering he's 7 YEARS OLDER THAN ME!

I don't know if I'll be able to NOT watch at least the first episode...

#4236 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 March 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Been watching Starz CAMELOT which was the 2011 show that Michael Hurst (VIKINGS showrunner/writer), and Chris Chibnall (TORCHWOOD, BROADCHURCH, next DOCTOR WHO show runner/writer) made and which only (sadly) ran one season.

I'm REALLY surprised it never got more play. It's WELL crafted, shot, scored, acted ect. Joseph Fiennes as Merlin, Eva Green As Morgan(na), and follows on the idea that Camelot is an ancient Roman Fort, and gives a kind of gritty, violent, bloody, and sex-filled account of The Once & Future King...I think just not a lot of people were willing to branch out at the time from the (still fresh) GAME OF THRONES...

But damn, as a fan of anything Arthurian...this show is a blast. Well worth the $12 I paid for all ten eps on iTunes. And luckily the first season was constructed so that IF it was only one season, there would be no major threads hanging on....which should make for a satisfying finale.

It was half decent but I can remember the Nuns really annoying throughout.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4237 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 22 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 22 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

When I first heard a month or so ago that this was coming, i couldn't believe it, but didn't think much more about. I have a bit of a soft spot for the original film as I like several songs from the soundtrack (was a BIG fan of the band Survivor) and it was also my first exposure to bonsai trees, which i took up growing after I became an adult. I have no idea what to make of this after seeing the preview. Its a SLIGHTLY interesting twist that Johnny seems to be the one who begins to teach a bullied teen. But other than that, I don't know that there will be anything else worth watching this for.

Hilarious that it appears Johnny pulls his groin after that first kick! And Ralph Macchio finally appears to look about my age! Which is nice considering he's 7 YEARS OLDER THAN ME!

It's going to air on something called "YouTube Red." So I'm guessing the production value is going to be less then ideal? Not sure really because Hulu and Amazon Prime have churned out some pretty high quality original programming.

The premise is fertile ground, imo. There could be a lot of interesting ways you could take the show based on Daniel LaRusso and the bully from Cobra Kai (Johnny Lawrence) all these years later. Of course there is the whole, how have they aged factor and that can be a huge turn off. I'm guessing "YouTube Red" is something you have to pay for, so not sure if I'll be able to even watch the first episode to see if it is any good. I'm sure someone here will give it a go and let us know, right?Posted Image

#4238 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

Cobra Kai looks cute, but Youtube Red is likely a myth. Nobody has actually ever tried to subscribe to it though so it's never been confirmed.

Re: Nightflyers, it's one of GRRM's best shorts imo, but I have no clue how they're gonna make a show of it. It's a tightly focused novella, with a clear beginning, middle, and end. A limited series makes sense, but an ongoing project just isn't gonna be the same story.

#4239 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:13 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 22 March 2018 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 22 March 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

It's going to air on something called "YouTube Red." So I'm guessing the production value is going to be less then ideal? Not sure really because Hulu and Amazon Prime have churned out some pretty high quality original programming.

The premise is fertile ground, imo. There could be a lot of interesting ways you could take the show based on Daniel LaRusso and the bully from Cobra Kai (Johnny Lawrence) all these years later. Of course there is the whole, how have they aged factor and that can be a huge turn off. I'm guessing "YouTube Red" is something you have to pay for, so not sure if I'll be able to even watch the first episode to see if it is any good. I'm sure someone here will give it a go and let us know, right?Posted Image

I totally spaced on the network carrying the show. Probably saw red and assumed Netflix. I'll not be paying to see this.

#4240 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

View Postworry, on 22 March 2018 - 08:13 PM, said:

Cobra Kai looks cute, but Youtube Red is likely a myth. Nobody has actually ever tried to subscribe to it though so it's never been confirmed.

Re: Nightflyers, it's one of GRRM's best shorts imo, but I have no clue how they're gonna make a show of it. It's a tightly focused novella, with a clear beginning, middle, and end. A limited series makes sense, but an ongoing project just isn't gonna be the same story.

They made The Hobbit into three films. They made Barker’s novella Telltale Heart’ into 9 (is it nine by now? Might be more) Hellraiser films. Surely they will be able to squeeze at least three seasons out of something that has the name George RR Martin tied to it and has at least one eye-catching bit character or plot point, or a gratuitous sex scene.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users