#4201 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:00 AM

Baskets is surprisingly funny. "Mom, I'm 20th in line for a corn dog tomorrow!"

#4202 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 March 2018 - 01:58 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2018 - 04:05 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 11 March 2018 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 11 March 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 11 March 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

Genuine question to everybody here -

What is the show The Office all about? I saw 2 episodes recently, I was told it was a comedy, but the humour seemed to really depend on awkwardness and cringeworthy scenes. Yet it was apparently very popular? I mean a lot of the behaviour seemed to very OTT and artificial. The general vibe I got was "trying too hard"

Yep, it's awkward-humor. The British one is more cringe-humour than the US remake, which developed quite some heart later on after s1.

From what I have seen, its really not for me. I guess cringe humour just isn't my thing.

Any shows I should be looking at? As long as it isn't postapocalyptic, and is not prison centric, I can watch it.

I have liked/loved - House, Sherlock, Agents of SHIELD, and the usual comedies like Two and a Half Men, Friends, How I Met Your Mother etc. Also I loved older British comedies like Yes Minister, Yes Prime Minister and the IT Crowd.

I never finished Lost and Breaking Bad.

RIVERDALE is good, so is COLLATERAL. LUTHER, HARD SUN...BOBS BURGERS is amazing

Really like the sound of Collateral, Luther, and Hard Sun. I love crime shows, I really enjoyed the first few season of Castle. Have you seen the British show BROADCHURCH? I have heard good things about it.

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 11 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

High Maintenance is so worth watching.

Very interesting premise

View PostSlow Ben, on 11 March 2018 - 06:05 PM, said:

The office is amazing. While I agree the first season is mostly cringe from Michael, seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best television ever. And the others are good as well.

The writing and content is superb, and head and shoulders above most other comedies.

Once they work through Michael Scott in season 1, he settles into one of the greatest fictional characters of all time. There is no other character like him.

Ditto for Dwight K. Schrute.

I'm not gonna go on, but IMO the Office is one of the best comedies ever, its a toss up between it and Parks and Rec for my favorite.

Bears beets Battlestar

So I should skip to the second season?

#4203 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:07 AM

Season 1 is very short (6 eps) and worth watching the whole thing since it sets up the relationship foundations. It just takes time figuring out how much the show wants to ape the very, very cringe comedy-based UK version. It ultimately sides with making the characters more likable/sympathetic. Don't skip to season 2, but give the show a chance into season 2.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4204 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:59 AM

Another excellent choice. Although I'm sort of conflicted about it because Louis C.K. is involved.

Louie Anderson is excellent as mother Baskets and deserving of the Emmy he won for the roll. And Zach Galifianakis is awesome as Chip Baskets and Dale Baskets and really on point with exhibiting the differences in each's personality. Dale is such a dick.

The show also has done an amazing job of bringing together some of the zaniest characters ever assembled for a half hour comedy. I find the show entertaining just based on the weirdos from different walks of life that intersect with the Basket family.

#4205 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:09 AM

Louis CK has been cut out of all ties to FX programming, I think, including Baskets and Better Things.

#4206 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

If The Office and Office Space met and did LSD together, and fucked - but not just any LSD, but the kind that if you were at a music festival you'd have to go the medical tent to be talked down from your bad trip. Nine months later the Comedy Central show Corporate would be born.

#4207 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:57 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 March 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

Another excellent choice. Although I'm sort of conflicted about it because Louis C.K. is involved.

Louie Anderson is excellent as mother Baskets and deserving of the Emmy he won for the roll. And Zach Galifianakis is awesome as Chip Baskets and Dale Baskets and really on point with exhibiting the differences in each's personality. Dale is such a dick.

The show also has done an amazing job of bringing together some of the zaniest characters ever assembled for a half hour comedy. I find the show entertaining just based on the weirdos from different walks of life that intersect with the Basket family.

I don't think Louie ever had any involvement with High Maintenance (but he did with Baskets).

#4208 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

The office is amazing. While I agree the first season is mostly cringe from Michael, seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best television ever. And the others are good as well.

I haven't seen much of the American version of The Office, but from what I understand the first season was more an attempt at a remake of the British version. Unfortunately the comedy just doesn't translate very well. From the 2nd season onward they just followed their own path, which apparently makes it far better. Again, that's only from hear-say though, I only know the British version. Which is bloody genius.

@Ando: If you liked the IT Crowd, have you ever watched 'Black Books'? Very underrrated gem. Also by Channel 4.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4209 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 March 2018 - 11:57 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 12 March 2018 - 03:59 AM, said:

I don't think Louie ever had any involvement with High Maintenance (but he did with Baskets).

Correct, I meant to reply to your post about Baskets. I did some google news searching, seems as if Louis C.K.'s roll on Baskets has been removed, along with any other FX properties.

FX has officially cut all ties with Louis CK

I haven't noticed any change to the quality of the show, although I'm guessing all the episodes were in the can before the revelations about C.K. were made public. It will be interesting to see what season 3 of Baskets is like and whether there is any noticeable changes in the high standards and quality of the show.

#4210 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

View PostGorefest, on 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

I haven't seen much of the American version of The Office, but from what I understand the first season was more an attempt at a remake of the British version. Unfortunately the comedy just doesn't translate very well. From the 2nd season onward they just followed their own path, which apparently makes it far better. Again, that's only from hear-say though, I only know the British version. Which is bloody genius.

@Ando: If you liked the IT Crowd, have you ever watched 'Black Books'? Very underrrated gem. Also by Channel 4.

Yes that's exactly it. Season one of the US Office had huge chunks of script lifted directly from the British version and it just never really worked.

Incidentally I am a huge fan of the British one and I nearly gave up with it but an hugely glad I stuck with it, there's so much to live in the US version, especially seasons 2-6...

I'll also second Black Books. Very funny.
And Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but that one might not be so easy to get hold of.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4211 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 March 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

View PostGorefest, on 12 March 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

Yes that's exactly it. Season one of the US Office had huge chunks of script lifted directly from the British version and it just never really worked.

Incidentally I am a huge fan of the British one and I nearly gave up with it but an hugely glad I stuck with it, there's so much to live in the US version, especially seasons 2-6...

I'll also second Black Books. Very funny.
And Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, but that one might not be so easy to get hold of.

The best thing about the US version is that over the course of a few seasons, they take the "mostly" reprehensible Michael Scott (who acts like David Brent only really in that first season)....and not only turn him likeable, but make him one of the most sympathetic characters on TV.

Pam's art show episode is easily one of the finest things they did in that vein. Link below. It still makes me glossy-eyed.

http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x2y2cku

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 March 2018 - 07:10 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4212 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

I just realized that the kids in Baskets are named Chip & Dale.

Posted Image

#4213 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

I kinda feel like Jenna Fischer is one of the best, most under-utilized actresses working today. She's the MVP of The Office, for me, and while her career is solid she should have been given bigger opportunities.

#4214 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 12 March 2018 - 08:10 PM, said:

I just realized that the kids in Baskets are named Chip & Dale.

Posted Image

Pretty neat, isn't it? It's things like that, that make the quirkiness of the show all the more endearing.

I mean, who would take a rodeo, hold an opera night and have a sandwich board flipper as part of the entertainment line up. Only to end the show with a planned two fireworks, to be overruled by mother Baskets to send up more, only to send Dale into a tizzy because it's too much money on the company credit card, resulting in Dale injuring his back.

#4215 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

Ok, so I am going to stick with the Office, though I am also looking for the UK version.

Also will look out for Black Books.

BTW has anyone here seen a British Friends type sitcom called Coupling?

And I know its old, but is Seinfield worth the watch?

#4216 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

I've seen Coupling. It's VERY sitcom-y, as in stagey with typical setup & punchline rhythms. But if that didn't bother you in the IT Crowd, then it shouldn't bother you with Coupling, which is pretty darn funny. I don't really like Friends, and I get the comparison for sure, but Coupling has way more actual laughs.

#4217 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

Coupling is greatPosted Image
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4218 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 02:29 AM

COUPLING is one of my all time fave shows ever. Constantly quotable, and hilarious.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4219 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:58 AM

View PostAndorion, on 12 March 2018 - 11:53 PM, said:

Ok, so I am going to stick with the Office, though I am also looking for the UK version.

Also will look out for Black Books.

BTW has anyone here seen a British Friends type sitcom called Coupling?

And I know its old, but is Seinfield worth the watch?

If you don't like cringe comedy then the British version won't be for you. Because it does it fantastically and hilariously well. :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4220 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Coupling is an awesome show, although the last season fell away a bit. The earlier episode about subtext (season 2 ep 3 - Her Best Friend's Bottom) is absolutely hilarious.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 390 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users