• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Werthead;349924 said:

From talks I've had with publishers and authors, according to research between 90% and 95% of the readers of any individual series never go online to check on a book's progress and will pick it up if they see if in a bookstore or see a review in a magazine, and that's it. They're expecting that to shift, possibly dramatically, over the next few years as more people start habitually using Amazon and the like (which is why they're investing in setting up relationships with blogs now). But at the moment the overwhelming majority of the audience either don't give a toss about the delays or don't go online to bitch about it :(

Interesting point, so where does that place us, the vocal minority? The only reason we bitch and moan is that we're bitchy moaners that need our fix.

I really do hope he gets on with it because he is looking seriously old and unhealthy looking, Please don't do a Robert Jordan on me old man! And for the love of God write something better that feast for crows, I mean who ever thought of splitting the plot in two was going to be a good idea? Shoot him/her, a simple open book in middle, find nearest chapter to that page, place to be continued on bottom.

BTW, where you getting your stats man? Also Wetzone's an interesting place, glad I checked it out because its a good homage to Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Still not agreeing with some of your ideas, but guilty about my mercenary response.
souls are for wimps

#382 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:12 AM

frookenhauer;361668 said:

Interesting point, so where does that place us, the vocal minority? The only reason we bitch and moan is that we're bitchy moaners that need our fix.

If you want to moan and bitch that's up to you. It's not going to affect the publishers until the sales start dramatically dropping, which shows no signs of happening. ADWD is hovering about the 1,000 rank on Amazon for sales (of everything, not just books), which given it's not finished and doesn't have a release date is an indication the book is going to do very well on release.

I really do hope he gets on with it because he is looking seriously old and unhealthy looking, Please don't do a Robert Jordan on me old man! And for the love of God write something better that feast for crows, I mean who ever thought of splitting the plot in two was going to be a good idea? Shoot him/her, a simple open book in middle, find nearest chapter to that page, place to be continued on bottom.

The real reason the book was split was because GRRM simply hadn't finished the other characters' chapters, so it wasn't possible to split it like that. He'd have to have waited until he'd finished both books and then split then lengthwise, meaning we'd still be waiting now for AFFC, let alone ADWD.

BTW, where you getting your stats man? Also Wetzone's an interesting place, glad I checked it out because its a good homage to Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Still not agreeing with some of your ideas, but guilty about my mercenary response.

I asked the main publishers who send me my review copies and that's the rough stats they came up with. They've been looking at the issue along with a few other publishers and that's the conclusion they've come to. It's why it's a good idea I started the blog back in 2006 because in a few years everyone and their dog is going to have a blog, and the early adopters will be the ones who the publishers will be sending the review copies to.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#383 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

Werthead;361734 said:

The real reason the book was split was because GRRM simply hadn't finished the other characters' chapters, so it wasn't possible to split it like that. He'd have to have waited until he'd finished both books and then split then lengthwise, meaning we'd still be waiting now for AFFC, let alone ADWD.

I would have rather have waited. Feast for Crows was rubbish in comparison to the previous books. Also do you mean to tell me he writes out each characters chapters, and there is a fair few of them. He then puts all these chapters together with all the other character chapters, then spends an enormous amount of time making sure there is continuity and a decent flow of events. Then does his second draft and third...And then the final draft. No wonder it takes him a frikkin millenium per book. Is this normal? why not have a fleshed out story plan and try to write things sequentially, because I have this image of an old fat naked hermit with a beard sitting in a room surrounded by sheets of paper trying to put them in order. now you've got that image in your head too...

Werthead;361734 said:

It's why it's a good idea I started the blog back in 2006 because in a few years everyone and their dog is going to have a blog, and the early adopters will be the ones who the publishers will be sending the review copies to.
And I thought I was mercenary, do you get to keep the copies? Also, putting together a decent blog requires time and effort, most of us don't have that luxury so I think your slot is safe for the moment.
souls are for wimps

#384 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:54 AM

aFfC was not that bad of a book. It's just become fashionable to make it out to be pure shit. I was the weakest book of the series, but just like the Malazan series, the weakest book is stilll good and better than 98% of the shit out there.
Error: Signature not valid

#385 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:44 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;362580 said:

aFfC was not that bad of a book. It's just become fashionable to make it out to be pure shit. I was the weakest book of the series, but just like the Malazan series, the weakest book is stilll good and better than 98% of the shit out there.

It was the weakest, as you say, but it also didn't help that we waited so long for a book that wasn't as good either. I enjoyed the book but after the wait I had endured, I admit it made me a little angry. Hopefully this next one will be great and make me forget all my previous hate lasers shot towards GRRM.

#386 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

I predict pure WIN. But after the wait, no matter how good it is, there will be haters.

#387 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;362607 said:

I predict pure WIN. But after the wait, no matter how good it is, there will be haters.

GRRM's arrogant nature causes a lot of those "haters" to appear.

"How dare you question me and all my infinite greatness!!?!?!"

#388 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

And GRRM's arrogant nature is caused by fanboys, who eventually become haters because of the arrogance. It's a horrible cycle.

#389 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:18 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;362624 said:

And GRRM's arrogant nature is caused by fanboys, who eventually become haters because of the arrogance. It's a horrible cycle.

It's like spicy thai food and diarrhea! :eek:

#390 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:00 AM

Thai food is made of diarrhea?

#391 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

I actually don't see him as all that arrogant...just a man being true to himself, taking his sweet time to get things done.

#392 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

Fanboy.

#393 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Haterboy.

#394 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;362580 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was glad to have it and like most people wished a few more of my favorite characters were in it. I think I would be little more put out if it had not been released and we were still waiting for book 4 from him.

#395 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:44 PM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;362624 said:

I never actually got that feeling, but then I've been studiously avoiding his website, which could certainly be a little more pleasing to behold. Its fugly
I'm not too sure about the fashionable to call it shit, dude we're fantasy fans, the last thing that we could be labeled as is fashionable, I have this really cool jacket, it keeps the rain off me and it makes sure I don't get run over because its so bright :D. It was classed as crap, because it was such a mediocre offering from an awesome writer.

Slumgullion Spitteler;362661 said:

I actually don't see him as all that arrogant...just a man being true to himself, taking his sweet time to get things done.
Definitely fanboy! and before you call me hater, I'm a hating fanboy, a fanterboy...sounds perverted, so I suppose it fits.

acesn8s;362699 said:

My thoughts exactly. I was glad to have it and like most people wished a few more of my favorite characters were in it. I think I would be little more put out if it had not been released and we were still waiting for book 4 from him.
Yeah, I missed Tyrion and I care more about what is happening with Bran than most all his siblings except Lord Snow. Maybe Dance with Dragons will WIN, hope so. I would still have preferred a better book than feast for crows, because in that case the wait would have been worth it.
souls are for wimps

#396 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:51 AM

frookenhauer;362933 said:

I never actually got that feeling, but then I've been studiously avoiding his website, which could certainly be a little more pleasing to behold. Its fugly
I'm not too sure about the fashionable to call it shit, dude we're fantasy fans, the last thing that we could be labeled as is fashionable,

Even unfashionable groups can have trends and bandwagons and the "in" thing to do. Right now, it seems like the bandwagon among GRRM readers to jump on is the "AFFC is the worst book ever written."

#397 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

Is it the worst book ever written by GRRM?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#398 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:20 AM

I haven't read any of his books other than this series, so I couldn't say. Doubt it though.

#399 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:30 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;363558 said:

Even unfashionable groups can have trends and bandwagons and the "in" thing to do. Right now, it seems like the bandwagon among GRRM readers to jump on is the "AFFC is the worst book ever written."

Sorry RLY, I was just trying to be funny, but it seems that one fell flat on its face. I don't usually jump on the bandwagon, but in this case I'll make an exception, especially if the noise reaches high enough to reach his mightiness :p

Illuyankas;363561 said:

No it isn't, I thought Windhaven, one of his early books, was mediocre at best. I've yet to read any of his wild card stuff.
souls are for wimps

#400 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:22 PM

Illuyankas;363561 said:

No. Dying of the Light, his first novel, was worse. That book took forever to get going, although once it did, it was the bomb. People still argue about the ending 31 years after it was published.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users