• 22 Pages +
  • « First

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#401 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

I might have to check it out. I'm taking a stand though and refusing to read anything else by him until AsoIaF is finished.
Error: Signature not valid

#402 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 August 2008 - 10:30 PM

His Dreamsongs short story collection has some really good stories in it. Take it out of the library if you don't want to fund his slothiness (I know it's not a word :p). That's what I do with 90% of the books I read anyway.

#403 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

Nope. I want to read it, but will hold strong unil this series is done. No GRRM for me.

#404 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

Ted Nasmith, renowned for his work on JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth books over the years, is contributing a series of portraits of castles to the forthcoming The World of Ice and Fire book by Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (based on material provided by George RR Martin), due in late 2009/early 2010.

The linked website features a gallery consisting of most of the completed artwork. From top to bottom are: Winterfell, Harrenhal, Dragonstone, Pyke, Riverrun, Castle Black, the Eyrie, Highgarden, King's Landing, Casterly Rock, Storm's End, Sunspear, Oldtown and the Twins.

I believe this is the first official depicton of Highgarden, which has not yet appeared in the books, and a better picture of Casterly Rock, which comes closer to nailing the Gibraltar-like feel of the place than previous efforts.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#405 User is offline   Slum 

• House Knight

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:03 PM

That's pretty snazzy, yo.

#406 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

I am impressed.

#407 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

Nice work.

Isn't as good as Komarck though. :)

#408 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Who?

#409 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

Optimus Prime;365803 said:

Nice work.

I like Komarck, but I maintain that Moon's Spawn does not come equipped with lasers.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#410 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

Werthead;365948 said:

I like Komarck, but I maintain that Moon's Spawn does not come equipped with lasers.

BUT IT SHOULD!!!!!

- Abyss, ....or in the alternative, dragons with lasers on their heads....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#411 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:22 AM

Werthead;365398 said:

Ted Nasmith, renowned for his work on JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth books over the years, is contributing a series of portraits of castles to the forthcoming The World of Ice and Fire book by Elio Garcia and Linda Antonsson (based on material provided by George RR Martin), due in late 2009/early 2010.

The linked website features a gallery consisting of most of the completed artwork. From top to bottom are: Winterfell, Harrenhal, Dragonstone, Pyke, Riverrun, Castle Black, the Eyrie, Highgarden, King's Landing, Casterly Rock, Storm's End, Sunspear, Oldtown and the Twins.

I believe this is the first official depicton of Highgarden, which has not yet appeared in the books, and a better picture of Casterly Rock, which comes closer to nailing the Gibraltar-like feel of the place than previous efforts.

Some of those images are neat, but like everything else going round, gotta love that cross marketing! I'm off to get me a Dark Whopper (go Batman!).
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#412 Guest_Noxchild_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

Optimus Prime;365803 said:

Nice work.

I saw the Sub. Press cover of GotM... oh why couldn't the regular cover be that awesome? :)

#413 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

Noxchild;367279 said:

I saw the Sub. Press cover of GotM... oh why couldn't the regular cover be that awesome? :)

Such questions can only be answered by George Lucas and his ilk
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#414 User is offline   Frost92 

• Recruit

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:08 PM

Like all ASoIaF fans, I am going crazy waiting for ADWD. But on the positive note, because of the LONG wait I was able to discover Erikson. A lot of people on the Ice and Fire forums were recommending the Malazan books, so I decided to give them a try while waiting for ADWD. I am currently half way through DG, and have already bought MoI and HoC. I am hoping I have enough time to read all the Malazan books before ADWD comes out. I will probably re-read the first four ASoIaF books before hand as well. I read through most of this thread and have a few opinions to spew fourth...

I don't understand all the negative reaction to AFfC. I will admit that it is slightly below par with the first three, but it is in no way a bad book. The book fulfilled it's purpose (like it or not). Like the title indicates, the book is about the aftermath of the War of the Five Kings, and the survivors are like crows (pecking from the dead). Although in this case the survivors are positioning themselves to further their goals (much like a chess game). I think people dislike this book because it didn't include the story arc from the Wall, the Imp, Dany, Jon etc...Also there are no big epic battles. But the point of the book is to set the stage (and set the players) for the next round of wars and political intrigue. I for one liked reading about the Martells and Dorne. Ever since AGoT, I was always wanting to know more about Dorne. I mean it's badass that it was the only land that was not conquered by the Iron Throne (only through marriage). I also liked reading about the Iron Islands. The Ironmen are the "vikings" in this world...blood thirsty and savage. If you look close enough there is a lot of intriguing stuff going on. It was also awesome to watch Cercei crumble. I mean her chapters should be titled ..."How To Loose a Kingdom". Again this book does not have a lot of action, so to speak, but I thought it was very interesting anyway.

Here are some things I am looking forward to seeing.....

The Martells...I think they will play a big role in the future books. They are like snakes in the weeds, waiting for the right opportunity to strike. I also think we will see more of the 'Sandsnakes' (I hope so at least, they are awesome). If they can get Dany on their side, look out.

Arya...Am I the only one to think that she will end up being an ultra-bad assassin? I can't wait until she meets Sansa and punches her in the face.

The Faceless Men...Who are they going to side with?

Lady Stoneheart...(or aka...Un-Kat) ...Will she ever get a chance to face old Walder Frey or Roose Bolton?

Breianne and Jamie....Will she kill him, or will they end up as a couple? There was hints of sexual tension between them. But at the end of AFFC, she apparently agrees to Lady Stoneheart's demand (which was to kill Jamie). (This is based on the assumption that Breianne was not killed)

The Hound...Where is he? Ive read various theories about this, but I don't know which one to believe (if any).

There are tons more, but I will stop for now. Anyway, I'm glad to have Erikson to keep me busy until ADWD is released.

This post has been edited by Frost92: 13 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

#415 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

AFFC has some great stuff going for it. It occupies a spot similar to that of TTH in Malazan, being very thematically tight and nailing a particular mood the author wanted to get across whilst furthering the storyline in a significant manner, but arguably not until the end and in a manner that didn't need a whole 800-page-book to do it. I think Erikson may have handled it a little better because we're used to skipping complete casts of characters for entire books at a time anyway, and he did his 'quiet book' 80% of the way through the series, rather than 50% as with with GRRM, which (arguably) helps.

I think it's fair to say a lot rides on ADWD, and a lot of peoples' problems with the series and with AFFC will be addressed if the book goes off as big-time as I think it's going to. Everything I've seen so far indicates a pace and number of important events and battles on a par with ASoS, but I fear the lack of those quiet POV characters in the book may cause problems with the pacing and some of the thematic stuff (I know GRRM is annoyed that his original plan to contrast Dany and Cersei got junked by the split).

#416 Guest_Noxchild_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

I liked AFFC too...

#417 User is offline   Reborn 

• Captain

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:41 AM

I don't think it's fair to compare A Feast for Crows with Toll the Hounds. I loved TtH, it's actually one of the best in the series so far in my opinion. Yes, it was slow-paced, but I never considered it boring. It held my interest all the time. And I was very impressed with the prose. I need not mention that the pay-off was awesome in every aspect. :w00t:

A Feast for Crows had no ... tension. It was alot like Crossroads of Twilight (better, of course, but that goes without saying). Very little actually happened. If the ending had been even remotely as good as the one in Toll the Hounds I would have understood the comparison, and I would probably have liked the book. A great ending could have saved it. But it ended ... weak.

I still love A Song of Ice and Fire, don't get me wrong. A Storm of Swords might just be my all time favorite book. I just hope A Dance With Dragons will be more like that one and less like A Feast for Crows.

#418 User is offline   Frost92 

• Recruit

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:27 PM

Reborn, on Oct 15 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

I don't think it's fair to compare A Feast for Crows with Toll the Hounds. I loved TtH, it's actually one of the best in the series so far in my opinion. Yes, it was slow-paced, but I never considered it boring. It held my interest all the time. And I was very impressed with the prose. I need not mention that the pay-off was awesome in every aspect. :w00t:

A Feast for Crows had no ... tension. It was alot like Crossroads of Twilight (better, of course, but that goes without saying). Very little actually happened. If the ending had been even remotely as good as the one in Toll the Hounds I would have understood the comparison, and I would probably have liked the book. A great ending could have saved it. But it ended ... weak.

I still love A Song of Ice and Fire, don't get me wrong. A Storm of Swords might just be my all time favorite book. I just hope A Dance With Dragons will be more like that one and less like A Feast for Crows.

Since AFfC and ADWD were supposed to be one book, I would expect that ADWD will have a lot more "excitement" going on and have a better ending than AFfC.

#419 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

I have no doubts that Dance with Dragons will rock the house. The sample chapters are implying things are going to get very interesting - Tyrion in the East, dragons flying around look for prey...

It took me a while to find the artwork for that world book but I found it. Damn, the Red Keep is HUGE. I have to see/get this book when it comes out.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#420 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 17 October 2008 - 02:51 AM

Frost92, on Oct 16 2008, 04:27 PM, said:

Since AFfC and ADWD were supposed to be one book, I would expect that ADWD will have a lot more "excitement" going on and have a better ending than AFfC.

You think? :w00t:

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users