Malazan Empire: A Dance with Dragons - Malazan Empire

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

A Dance with Dragons Rate Topic: -----

#181 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

Terez;323792 said:

Do you really think that her being there in his father's bed was any worse than what she said about him at the trial? At that point, the fact that she was in Tywin's bed was just more of the same...no more than you would expect out of the whore she proved she was at the trial. She could have saved her own life easily without actually using some bit of truth to wound him so deeply as she did.

I imagined that Tyrion would be able to come up with some excuse for her testifying against him (i.e., she was threated). Seeing her in daddy's bed, wearing the symbol of office (which his father was always salty about losing) showed affection from Tywin. Affection Tyrion never got.

Tywin was the worst possible person for her to cozy up with. I think if it was anyone else, she might have survived her encounter with Tyrion.

Spoiler

#182 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 06 June 2008 - 05:12 PM

You're all leaving out the best parting shot of the book, Tyrion's snark at his father as he leaves the Tower.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#183 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

Let's just agree that he had many reasons for killing them, which all contributed to him bringing the pain.
Error: Signature not valid

#184 User is offline   Therion 

• Corporal

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:37 AM

acesn8s;324043 said:

Spoiler

Although I don't frequent ASoIaF-Boards, I guess that this theory is pretty popular (albeit almost a bit obvious).
Spoiler

#185 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:46 AM

Spoiler

I don't go to any GRRM boards either, so my ideas on the series aren't very sophisticated, I'm sure.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#186 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:19 AM

So I've been wondering this for a while.

Spoiler

#187 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Xander;324663 said:

So I've been wondering this for a while.

Spoiler

That's a popular theory. And just a theory, so not sure why you've spoilerised it. However, the main strike against that is that Bran knows Benjen, and would have recognised him. Coldhands is probably just some random elk-worrying supernatural person-thing.

As for Tyrion, another popular theory and half-well-supported, although not as much as the legendary R+L=J theory. GRRM's only statement on the issue was that not all of the three heads of the dragon need to be Targaryens, so Tyrion doesn't need to be a Targ in order to be a dragonrider.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#188 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

You know what this thread makes me want to do? I think it maybe time to re-read ACOK and ASOS. It's been a few years now. Perhaps in the fall after the glut of summer goodness reads are done I shall do just that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#189 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:59 AM

@Wert, I spoilerized it because I always worry of some newb or other persons stumbling in just wanting GRRM news and getting more than they wanted. Stupid I know, but better safe than sorry for me.

R+L=J seems almost too obvious to me now after such a long time.

#190 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

Yeah, that was the first theory of interest that I came up with as I was reading the series. It was very obvious...all those hints about Lyanna's deathbed wish, along with the harping about Ned's honor...sort of hard to miss. :o

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#191 User is offline   lfex 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:52 AM

Werthead;324893 said:

That's a popular theory. And just a theory, so not sure why you've spoilerised it. However, the main strike against that is that Bran knows Benjen, and would have recognised him. Coldhands is probably just some random elk-worrying supernatural person-thing.

I don't have book at hand, but IIRC we only see Coldhands in Samwell's POV, not Bran's. It would suggest Coldhands can indeed be Benjen.

#192 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:03 PM

Actually, that's right. We only see Sam taking Bran and the Reeds down the steps at the Nightfort don't we? I'd forgotten about that.

Damnit, may need to bring that pre-ADWD series re-read forward.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#193 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

Kulp Diet;323682 said:

Which is why I'm convinced the Queen of Thorns is behind Cersei's current predicament. She is just that slick as to set up Cersei through Margaery. You just don't mess with that old bitch.

Isn't she the one who poisoned Joffrey?

#194 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

Kulp Diet;323702 said:

Once again, Tywin has his way with a whore Tyrion cared about. If anything is the last straw, its the repeating history of Tyrion's most hurtfull memory.

Let's not forget Tywin's utter hypocrisy--he's the one who keeps telling Tyrion to stay away from prostitutes.

#195 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

There was a school of thought that Varys set it up to that Tyrion caught Shae in his father's bed and he wasn't sleeping with her at all. However, this thought was pretty much abandoned: the timing is impossibly tight and Varys had no way of knowing that Tywin would choose that particular moment to go to the toilet, or that Tyrion would even go up the ladder to investigate the Tower of the Hand. I can't see how even he would pull it off. Plus there's the question of why Shae would agree to it.

#196 User is offline   Shurque's biatch 

• High Fist
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:56 PM

Terez;323792 said:

Do you really think that her being there in his father's bed was any worse than what she said about him at the trial? At that point, the fact that she was in Tywin's bed was just more of the same...no more than you would expect out of the whore she proved she was at the trial. She could have saved her own life easily without actually using some bit of truth to wound him so deeply as she did.

Thanks about the bloody wedding ref, I actually realized it after I sent it but was too lazy to go back. I remember all the points you bring up, but Little Finger and Varys both had much to gain from unrest in the Lanister clan. Petyr strikes me as being too "with it" to not be aware of and/or involved in anything and everything. So I think that it might be too simple to lay all the planning at Queen of Thorn's (admittedly bright) feet.

And, I really do believe that being in bed with daddy stung as much or more. Remember that Tyrion was quite particular about sharing and made several comments about being faithful in his own way.
"Piss on Hood!" ~Roach

#197 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Anyone read the Tyrion chapter from Dance that Martin previewed on his site? Damn, it got me so jonesing for the next book.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#198 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

As did the Jon chapter he had up before.

#199 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

I don't know why you guys do that to yourselves. When the book finally comes out you'll have already read a significant chunk of it.
Error: Signature not valid

#200 User is offline   Kulp Diet 

• Sergeant

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:10 AM

Raymond Luxury Yacht;328317 said:

I don't know why you guys do that to yourselves. When the book finally comes out you'll have already read a significant chunk of it.

By the time ADWD comes out, we'll have forgotten everything we read, along with half the names of our children and grandchildren.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

31 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users