Malazan Empire: Return of the Crimson Guard - CHAPTER ONE - OFFICIAL VERSION - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Return of the Crimson Guard - CHAPTER ONE - OFFICIAL VERSION

#41 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:20 PM

Mentalist;308460 said:

...but I don't recall Liossercal being named among the Soletaken Eleint...

Yeah, I think your right and I can't recall ever hearing the name Liossercal before. But if Liossercal is indeed Osserc, then it fits, for Osserc is a soletaken eleint: 'Osserc’s form blurred, shifted, unfolded to find a new shape. Huge, glittering gold and silver scales rippling as wings spread wide. A surge of power, and the enormous dragon was in the air.'(MT, UK Trade, p.197)

Still, the more I think about it, the more I get confused.

#42 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

Yes, I know. I'm saying that Liossercal IS Osserc, but he's not the "Magus" that Cowl deals with.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#43 User is offline   Ganymed 

• Captain
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:28 PM

Oh, sorry, didn't understand you there. My mistake.

As for the magus not being Osserc, there is further evidence. To the contrary of my previous thoughts, that the description matches, it does not.

The magus is described as such:

His hair was thick, bone-white, and braided – and lay completely unmoved by the wind. His complexion was as pale as snow.

Osserc, on the other hand, looks like this: He was pure Liosan in appearance, tall and pale as snow, his long wavy hair silver and streaked with gold. His eyes seemed to rage with an inner fire, its tones a match to his hair, silver licked by gold. He was wearing plain grey leathers, the sword at his belt virtually identical to the one L'oric carried.' (HoC UK TB, p.606)

#44 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

Regardless of commonalities between any of the three... don't you find it weird that the prologue leads into a big revelation in the very first chapter? Think of similr circumstances in RG where we don't see Kilimandaros until 2/3 of the way through. Different author, I know, but the dramatic strategy still holds. Unless there are many more epic revelations later on that will make this one seem paltry...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#45 User is offline   Tarr 

• FING (cross between FIst and kiNG)
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

When reading about the ascendants/magus death I was pretty sure hewas an ascendant and when he died I compared his death to the way treach died, but now he may have worshippers like treach (Kyle tried to warn him), so perhaps either hes now been released and worshipped by kyles people or hes going to get kyle to spread his gospel or something like Dreks doing to Banaschar.
Everyday I ask myself, where has the peanut butter gone?

#46 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Originally posted by A'Karonys:
Plus, Osserc doesn't have enormous tusked canine teeth jutting from his mouth.

True, but then again, Mael in the Midnight Tides prologue is blue-skinned, whilst in Lether he looks like an old-man. We also see Tayschrenn changing his appearance. So what's to stop Osserc doing the same? Are we also saying he couldn't have added tattoos on later? I admit, it's equally likely the magus isn't Osserc, but I'm inclined to believe that he is at the moment. And no, I seriously doubt Cowl actually killed him. It seemed to me from the way I was reading it that the 'magus' knew exactly what was going to happen, a bit like how it's revealed that Silchas Ruin knew Scabandari would stab him in the back and imprison him in the Azath and let him do so.

#47 User is offline   gaiden 

• Recruit

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Hello. long time lurker first time poster.

I just wanted to comment on the point of Liossercal being Osserc. I don’t think that’s the case, why would Osserc fake having tusks and if he did have them at the beginning then L'oric or one of his daughters would have them. As for Mael appearing like an old man he had to since he was among humans. I don’t think Osserc would fool anyone into thinking he was a Jaghut by adding tusks. From the prologue and Draconus comment it looks like this was around the time the malazan world came into being. So if Liossercal was killed around that time its possible we would have never heard of him.

#48 User is offline   Tiger_sword 

• First Sword

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:22 PM

Ooh I like the idea that the Magus (regardless of who he actually is) knew what was about to happen and is not dead (probably something to do with the sword) though I also agree that its probably not osserc because the magus has been asleep for a long time whilst we know that osserc has been well... awake!!! It doesn't really fit if this is supposed to be at a similar time to the SE novels

#49 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

Tiger_sword;308655 said:

Ooh I like the idea that the Magus (regardless of who he actually is) knew what was about to happen and is not dead (probably something to do with the sword) though I also agree that its probably not osserc because the magus has been asleep for a long time whilst we know that osserc has been well... awake!!! It doesn't really fit if this is supposed to be at a similar time to the SE novels

Yes! I know timelines don't matter, but...

"Prologue" said:

Ogilvy rubbed a hand over the scars marbling his bald scalp. “Well, I’ve been with the guard some ten years now. Signed on in Genabackis.”
Kyle had heard much of that contract. It was the company’s last major one, ending years ago when the Malazan offensive fell to pieces.

This prologue takes place several years after the end of GotM, because that's approximately when the Malazan offensive fell apart and the CrGrd left the scene. We know Osserc has been active in that time period, because he saved L'oric from the fake Talons in the Whirlwind warren. Now, unless Osserc is capable of time travel like the Eres('al), I don't see how he could have been asleep and dreaming up a storm in the Spur whilst saving L'oric at the same time.

#50 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Chapter takes place
BS 1165
Siege of Pale ends 1163 BS
Darujhistan Fete--beginning of 1164 BS (new Year)

1 year of difference... making it about simultaneous with the Y'ghatan conflagation and the events in tBH

"Years" is not the word I'd use

Thank god the timeline is not important...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#51 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

To all ends and purposes, RotCG occurs around the time of TB, or shortly thereafter...

430 pages into it, and let me just tell you that TtH will have to be quite something to be the top Malazan offering of 2008, at least if ICE keeps this up!:D

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#52 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Aptorian;308156 said:

I don't think either Erikson or Esslemont would be so blunt as to reveal Osserc in the very first chapter and then off him with out a suitable sending off...

I know that most things in the Malazan universe seems to be connected, but it's not an unreasonable suggestion that more than one ascendant could be able to command the wind.

I think the ascendant really died, I have confidence in Cowls abilities, but a lot of his power maybe even the soul was transfered into Kyles blade.

Also....given the prologue, it's quite possible that Osserc killed an Azath (with help), now, I somehow doubt that he, under assault, didn't just kill them all in two seconds. Cowl is no doubt good.....but Osserc wouldn't have just STOOD THERE!
Also, it was in relation to QB's souls that there have been other mages who could pull storm's out of the sky. So I don't think that was Osserc.

Tiger_sword;308387 said:

Fantastic, I was gripped in a way that only the Malazan world can do to me!!! I have to say the style of writting from ICE seams to have matured, he captured the atmosphere and emotions much clearer whilst still making the story progress at a sensible pace.

Bring on the rest!!! I can't wait

I agree totally. Although it started a bit shakily, it was pretty damn good after that!
I loved the action, and it leads to plenty of speculation....which is always good.

Nice tidbit Pat!
Although, with TtH returning to Genabackis after all this time.....I think it will be truly epic. Mind-blowing. But I don't really care. As long as it's up to reasonable standards, it's Malazan goodness and that's what counts. But it'll be nice to get ICE's first full-length foray into this amazing world.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#53 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Mentalist;308683 said:

Chapter takes place
BS 1165
Siege of Pale ends 1163 BS
Darujhistan Fete--beginning of 1164 BS (new Year)

1 year of difference... making it about simultaneous with the Y'ghatan conflagation and the events in tBH

"Years" is not the word I'd use

Thank god the timeline is not important...

I suppose it helps to read the dates. I guess Kyle just misunderstood. LOL

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:32 PM

pat5150;308759 said:

430 pages into it, and let me just tell you that TtH will have to be quite something to be the top Malazan offering of 2008, at least if ICE keeps this up!:D

Patrick

I hate you.

- Abyss, means that in a nice way, really....
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#55 User is offline   Quick~ 

• Fist
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

pat5150;308759 said:

Patrick

to quote the immortal words of abyss

BRAAAAAIIIINNNNZZZZZZZZZZ

#56 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:00 PM

I find Prince K'azz's quote quite telling.

I assume it means when ties are formalised and made (especially through magic), the love for that tie is sundered and from that point on things can only go downhill due to resentment and other reasons.

#57 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hmm...the idea of a soul inhabiting a sword reminds me of Dragnipur...but aspected to Wind/Light instead of Darkness. Though whether the inhabitants are pulling a wagon along to keep it in front of encroaching chaos I somehow doubt. But perhaps the weapon, with its newly acquired soul, is some kind of counterbalance of some sort? I can't think of how that would work, any ideas? Or is it just crazy talk?

Sir Thursday
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#58 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

I'm gonna go with that's just crazy talk on this one...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#59 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

Come on, don't hate me!

At least you have a review in which you'll sink your teeth into to look forward to...:D

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#60 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:35 AM

I'm afraid this was.....

FUCKING AWSIM!!!!!!!!!!!! It was great to get insights into the CG and Korelri's religion + shit.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users