• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

seguleh first?

#21 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 01 May 2008 - 11:09 AM

Jimmy;298366 said:

Wasn't it Krul who said that the first was worried about Mok.

I think the second died of natural causes myself

;)

yeah... cuz im sure old age is what had him running around in Hoods house/pantheon...
You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#22 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

The rotted form shook webs from his clothes as he took to his feet on the hillside and raised a desicated hand

'I am Seguleh First!' cried Battalion, his voice dry.

'No, I am Seguleh First! said Dassem.

'I am Seguleh First! said Skinner.

'That's not quite true. I am the First, said the Rope, the smile visible through the shadows of his cowl.

'Begging your pardon,' said a new comer in a weird mask with no marks upon its face. 'I, am Seguleh Fi--' Blood pooled from beneath his mask, just before it is wrenched from his head.

Kobolo Dom shruggs, the bloody knife gleaming in his blue hand. 'Sorry folks, that's the way these books go, I'm afraid. I am the Seguleh First, now.'

The end.
Get to the chopper!

#23 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

I am afraid I do not agree Mcflury. Why would there be a point when you would have a warrior nobody could defeat? And why do you think the skill could spiral downwards ?

First, it is reasonly to assume that the higher grades teach some of the lower in order to train him to become better, in that way the skill would likely increase over time since the people would become better and better and therefore teach the next one better as well.

Second, the society is always in a flux, nothing would be constant. E.g. one day you could have a strong #3, but because a rank 4 or maybe 5 went on some suicide mission and managed to survive he would have become a lot better and might be able to beat #3.

#24 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

Thelomen Toblerone;298237 said:

Well it was mentioned speculatively in MoI that perhaps Mok was nearly at a position to challenge the First, so it would seem sensible to send him on a mission in order to retain the First mask. Which would suggest at least a close level of martial prowess.

Ooooohhh yeah. I think I remember something like that.
This reminds me, I really need a re-read soon.

I think it's resonable to say the skill of these fighters does not remain constant. But that doesn't mean the first couldn't stay the first for a very long time. Though eventualy he would get old and be beaten right?
Maybe the current first is getting old, but is being stubborn and doesn't want to give up his position to Mok.
He knows it is inevitable, but want it to last..?

#25 User is offline   CreepingFlesh 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:49 PM

First post so shoot me down in flames where required :D:D

I am assuming that the First has 1 mark on his mask.
If so then he cannot rule the Seguleh as we have already been introduced to an "undead" warrior with no marks on his mask who seemed to be reluctantly working for Hood.
He was sidetracked and met Cutter when he was on the hunt for the Avowed!
(another story I'm sure)
We also know that he has been absent from the Island for some time with his question asking if they still follow the same hiearchical structure.

This would suggest that there is someone above the "First"
Am I talking mince :D

#26 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Mok had two marks on his mask and he was the third, logically the first will have a clean mask.

I can't remember what the Segule Soldiers mask looked like but I'm guessing it only had one mark, since people call him the second.

#27 User is offline   CreepingFlesh 

• Recruit

Posted 06 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

So if the First is "undead" and has not been to the Island in sometime then who sent Mok on his journey - assuming the undead warrior was indead a Selugeh

#28 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

Uhm, I think you're confused. The Seguleh Soldier is the second, if he in fact wants that title. The Soldier hasn't been in contact with the Seguleh nation for what could be millenia.

The first is alive and well for all we know. The last we heard of him he resided on the Seguleh island and had sent Mok, a potential rival - in combat or in politics? - and a couple of lower level Seguleh to wage war on the Domin.

It has been suggested that the First might be an ascendant, since extreme skill seems to create ascension. And if anyone, the first of a nation of supreme warriors, would be a candidate for ascension.

#29 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:04 AM

The First could also be a woman for all we know.

The First is most likely going to be a surprise, in that SE loves pulling the rug out from under us after he's built something up for so long.

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:26 AM

I think he's a machine. A killer robot from the future...

#31 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:38 AM

I think he/she/it may be a god in hiding using the super reclusive culture to keep away from all the turmoil. There's definitely something off about this whole plot.....

#32 User is offline   Tarr 

• FING (cross between FIst and kiNG)

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

Reading this post and the one about the degaroth I had a thought...

The degaroth in their imprissonment were getting worshipped, who would worship them? either eres or perhaps followers of dessimbecksilis and according to either feather witch or samar dev the segulah came from his empire, would they not worship him and if so would this worship be passed on to the hounds?

But in favour of the notion of the first being an ascendent is parans theory about ascendants that he tells hedge on the way to where the hounds statues are.
Everyday I ask myself, where has the peanut butter gone?

#33 User is offline   Shurque's biatch 

• High Fist
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:14 PM

Aptorian;302185 said:

I think he's a machine. A killer robot from the future...
Don't you mean a ninja/pirate/clown with Loooooong cat for father and Killimanderos for mother?
"Piss on Hood!" ~Roach

#34 User is offline   Battalion 

• Emperor

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:43 PM

Xander;302179 said:

The First could also be a woman for all we know.

The First is most likely going to be a surprise, in that SE loves pulling the rug out from under us after he's built something up for so long.

I've thought this before.
My mind is drawn to Vorkan (or what ever her name is[the woman assassin who is trapped with Rallik Nom]). She wears a mask with no marks on it...
Dun dun duuuun!:eek:
Get to the chopper!

#35 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

I seriously doubt it could be Vorkan, since she has build the assassin guild and therefore no time to be #1.

#36 User is offline   Nequam 

• High Fist

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:26 PM

Haha, well Sindriss I didn't think Battalion was being all that serious, but Vorcan isn't good enough to be the first for sure.

I don't think we've met the first as of now. But it seems like people such Caladan Brood have. So maybe a meeting isn't too far off.

I kinda like the idea of the first being an ascendant or even a full-fledged god. I wouldn't be dissapointed...

#37 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:49 AM

I been thinking...Maybe the position of the first is special in that not just any one has the right to challenge him? maybe inorder to fight the first you HAVE to be the second. If that is so...well then it makes sence to send the second off on errands to get himself killed and send the third after him indirectly to create a social gap between the first and the rest of the seguleh warriors. Essentially becoming untouchable.

Also if the seguleh first is as brilliant a warrior as we assume him to be I have a question to his influence over the seguleh, their loyalty and their faith. If they are gaurds of darujhistan then they are honour bound to protect them, BUT if the seguleh first is say a night of hood or some such then the game changes. suddenly the seguleh become a religious army on ice moving at the beck and call of their GOD. If the first himself is that God or is that GODs mortal sword then the position of first becomes desirable to bothe mortals and Gods. This I feel explains hood trying to control the second. should the second become the first then hood becomes their patron and all hell will literaly break loose....
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#38 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

We've only got small things to make guesses at the Seguleh societies social struture. There may very well be a different ruling council outside the "ranking system". perhaps the First is simply the general of their military and not some kind of warrior king.

It would seem that all warrior seguleh, at the least, are very aware of the structure. You might not be allowed to just walk up to the First and challenge him, even if you're stupid enough to stare him down. Also, except the second and third, no seguleh probably wants to face the First because he has to be scary good.

We don't know the Segulehs stance on Ascendants and gods. They seemed very scared of Envy and it's been theorised that the Seguleh might not have any mages at all. Which sucks when you're a melee fighter in a magebattle.

The Second isn't a part of the Seguleh society, he most likely died thousands of years ago, he hasn't been anywhere near Darujistan or Seguleh Island since. So Hood isn't using him to get a foothold in the sehuleh society.

#39 User is offline   Dancer+ 

• A Driven Individual
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:01 AM

Battalion;298412 said:

The rotted form shook webs from his clothes as he took to his feet on the hillside and raised a desicated hand

'I am Seguleh First!' cried Battalion, his voice dry.

'No, I am Seguleh First! said Dassem.

'I am Seguleh First! said Skinner.

'That's not quite true. I am the First, said the Rope, the smile visible through the shadows of his cowl.

'Begging your pardon,' said a new comer in a weird mask with no marks upon its face. 'I, am Seguleh Fi--' Blood pooled from beneath his mask, just before it is wrenched from his head.

Kobolo Dom shruggs, the bloody knife gleaming in his blue hand. 'Sorry folks, that's the way these books go, I'm afraid. I am the Seguleh First, now.'

The end.

I wouldn't want to be Korbolo Dom now, he has to accept any challenge coming his way, he's honour and rule bound. He's a deadman.

@Apt: Seguleh are terrified of Magic users, it's made quite apparent throughout. They generally have no defence. We do need to learn more however.

#40 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:10 AM

Aptorian;310605 said:

The Second isn't a part of the Seguleh society, he most likely died thousands of years ago, he hasn't been anywhere near Darujistan or Seguleh Island since. So Hood isn't using him to get a foothold in the sehuleh society.

Well that isn't a certainty. As stated before there is a very real possibility the position of second still belongs to one who has died and has broken away from the social structure of the seguleh. after all anomander doen't even care and he has held the position of seventh for ages. I like the idea that you can jump over this position explaining Mok (a mortal) as the third. but can't jump the position off second due to special laws making the rise of Mok to first imposible until he locates the second...
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users