• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Azath Houses Created/Destroyed

#61 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Until I read your post, Seed, I thought the Azath and Forkrul Assail were not related at all, seeing as how they have completely different means for maintaining balance and order (Azath contain, FA destroy).

But all the other threads about Anomander Rake got me thinking: What if truly powerful creatures (Ascendants) can't really be killed? They can be wounded, their bodies can be destroyed, etc., but like Silchas Ruin and Rake, their souls would still be free and powerful. (Have we ever seen an Ascendant actually die? I guess Poliel, but we don't technically know what happened to her.)

So if the Forkrul Assail can't kill very powerful beings utterly, the next best thing would be containment.

Just a thought. I still don't think they are truly related, but that the Azath are older and more primordial than any race. I think the Azath are the matrix on which every realm is built.

#62 User is offline   lasombra 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

Im pretty sure killy implies that she is free of the azath

#63 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

lasombra;301710 said:

Im pretty sure killy implies that she is free of the azath

What do you mean?

The Azath and Knuckles are keeping Killy docile with a mindgame to contain her. She isn't going anywhere as far as they are concerned.

#64 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

FAs COULD be related tothe Azath (nice idea, Seed, have rep),
BUT

...once again, we don't know enough for me to just accept this :D

afaik, all we know about FAs is this:
They fought the Liosan in the Just Wars
They like to pacify things by killing them
They thing everyone and everything shopuld be pacified

not enough for me to go on
What's even sadder, we've never seen more than one of them at the same place + time, so we can't even guess how they'd react to their cospecifics--would they try to pacify them as well? Is that the reason they stay on their own?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#65 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

kud13;301767 said:

What's even sadder, we've never seen more than one of them at the same place + time, so we can't even guess how they'd react to their cospecifics--would they try to pacify them as well? Is that the reason they stay on their own?

They once lived in cities. So they had some kind of society, but then again, perhaps that was before they came to the conclusion that peace needed to be implemented on a global scale.

#66 User is offline   Tarr 

• FING (cross between FIst and kiNG)

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:00 AM

Doing re-read of RG on page 196 it is mentioned there is an azath house in the shadow realm and that Cot and ST use it to travel about.

There is also a discussion about it sealing the gate into KE (from talk about ST sitting on the gatehouse I suspect that shadowkeep may be an azath). It is also first mentioned here that the azath may be a healing mechanism of the warrens i.e. it participated in healing the fragments of KE.

But there is also talk who gave their blood for the holds any suggestions? MD perhaps?...
Everyday I ask myself, where has the peanut butter gone?

#67 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

by "Holds" you mean "Elder Warrens", rights?

and if so, the answer elusdes us. I'm gonna go on a limb and say "Tiam", because her blood seems to be found just about anywhere...
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#68 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:25 AM

SiriusL;301593 said:

But all the other threads about Anomander Rake got me thinking: What if truly powerful creatures (Ascendants) can't really be killed? They can be wounded, their bodies can be destroyed, etc., but like Silchas Ruin and Rake, their souls would still be free and powerful. (Have we ever seen an Ascendant actually die? I guess Poliel, but we don't technically know what happened to her.)

The five Toblakai gods and the Pack died off easy enough, and they are not the only ones to have passed on. The Azath are more along the lines of taking care of the powerful when nobody capable of doing so is around IMO.

#69 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 08 May 2008 - 06:57 AM

Gwynn ap Nudd;302936 said:

The five Toblakai gods and the Pack died off easy enough, and they are not the only ones to have passed on. The Azath are more along the lines of taking care of the powerful when nobody capable of doing so is around IMO.

We know what happened to Poliel- she got otataral'd and then had the Deragoth sic'ed on her. Recipe for success!

However, the CG's chaotic power and left her, so maybe it wouldn't be that easy for ascendants like Rake, commanding KG and shit.

#70 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

I think what the Azath does is contain those who have a choice and choose containment over death, mainly. Mesremb got his neck broken remember, not taken...
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#71 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

actually iirc messremb got choked out, he would have been taken alive if not for the entity with its arm stickin out of the wall
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#72 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 11 May 2008 - 02:41 AM

Oh i thought the roots of the Azath around his neck strangled him.
I dont think that the Azath just takes anyone and everyone who enters the grounds.
Its selective of over powerful creature. There were hundreds of soletaken and D'ivers in the house and the Azath killed most of them but only captured the most powerful ones cause it did hace the time or energy to hold all of them.

#73 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

I thought that too. The Azath perhaps holds those that, instead of dying, would become Gods or whatever?
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users