• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#41 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:53 PM

It's not really getting any better but it something to watch. I just feel like the show is actually poorly thought out.

I'd rather they kept all the contestants until a winner is decided for the knife competition. They should also choose an actual winner not just a final two. Why not declare who of the four was best? Give a smaller prize and then let the final two battle it out in the final challenge for the big prize.

I did see one contestant booted for not actually forging his knife but just grinding it to shape. So that was good.

A challenge I'd like to see is to have them have to make two knives. The winner being the person who can make the two knives be the most consistent. I see a lot of people win or lose based on what seems like luck or having to abandon their initial design to fix problems. I think it would be a very interesting skill based challenge for a lot of these smiths.

I'd also love to see a modern day big brand knife go up against some of there's just by way of comparison.

#42 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:44 AM

Awww, I think this season is over and now this show is on a break. Dammit! I'm going to miss the way Doug Marcaida says the word 'kill' (it will keel). Posted Image

For my money, the coolest weapon forged this season was the Deer Horn Knife. Posted Image

#43 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

I heard it was canceled cuz the guy sat down on his sword and chopped his nuts off.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#44 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

That was a fun episode.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#45 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

If you guys get the El Rey network, there is a similar show on that channel called Man at Arms: Art of War. Hosted by Danny Trejo, it's not a competition show per se, but they do forge weapons and then have an "expert" put it through its paces against jello dummies and such. I've only watched the first episode and enjoyed it I can say. I probably like Forged in Fire better, but its hard not to like a similar show that shows bad-ass historical weapons cutting into sides of beef, jello dummies, bags of sand, etc.

#46 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostDown South, on 07 August 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

The Kachin Dao ep was pretty frustrating.

I get so pissed off at these fuckers that come on knowing they have health issues and gas out in R1. That spot coulda been filled by a worthy contestant. Dude said he had a bad back and sure enough 5 mins later has to drop out. Fucking joke.

Cool weapon.

I kinda agree with you about contestants going down in round 1. But then again, I think Will mentioned they have 4 forges going at the same time (for a total of 2400 degrees?) in that area, although it is large and I'm assuming well vented. I'm guessing those folks don't normally work in conditions with the heat of that many forges combined. And the stress of the timed competition can't help the situation. But I've noticed that the majority of the contestants lately appear to be rather out of shape. Doesn't seem the fit with that profession.

#47 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:36 PM

That was a weird choice of weapon to forge for the final in that episode. The Gladiator's Scissor? Man, that's something you'd see in the Thunderdome in Mad Max or that Captain Kirk would have battled Spock with in that one Star Trek episode. I guess the show has run the gamut of all the sword like weapons and is running out of ideas? Still cool though that they are turning more to these esoteric weapons.

#48 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostDown South, on 30 August 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ok great knife challenge. Teardrop Damascus looks wonderful for sure. The Kpinga is a god awful weapon though. I truly hated this one. Its a throwing weapon so obviously it was thrown in each of the 3 test which just became boring and repetitive after test 1(pig carcass).

Agreed.

I think the knife challenge had a little bit of everything: cool blades and techniques, unfinished product, catastrophic failure, etc!
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#49 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 30 August 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

View PostDown South, on 30 August 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ok great knife challenge. Teardrop Damascus looks wonderful for sure. The Kpinga is a god awful weapon though. I truly hated this one. Its a throwing weapon so obviously it was thrown in each of the 3 test which just became boring and repetitive after test 1(pig carcass).

Agreed.

I think the knife challenge had a little bit of everything: cool blades and techniques, unfinished product, catastrophic failure, etc!

I agree as well; the knife challenge was enjoyable to watch. They must not have put size parameters on this one as at least 2 of them looked nearly the size of machetes! The one that broke I expected to probably give out near the base of the blade where the flaws were that he had to stop trying to grind out.

The final challenge weapon didn't do much for me either. I get that it takes real skill to split a single piece of metal that way and have it stay intact but at this point, I'd be fine with more traditional swords with an emphasis on the finer details as well as the functionality. The smiths in the final for the last couple/few episodes have had very good skills.

#50 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

uh, the Yatagan? Didn't they already do that one? Are they recycling through weapons now? I don't mind.

Man, I love watching Doug Marcaida in action.

#51 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Is it sad that I prioritize FiF over The Strain, Fear the Walking Dead, etc?

I think if I was a smith, an "it will keel" is a glowing endorsement.

#52 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:55 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 13 September 2017 - 08:28 PM, said:

Is it sad that I prioritize FiF over The Strain, Fear the Walking Dead, etc?

I think if I was a smith, an "it will keel" is a glowing endorsement.

Well, it definitely should be prioritized over The Strain and FtWD for sure. It depends on what you cover in your "etc" category though. Posted Image

I would like to make "it will keel" the tone my phone makes when I get an incoming txt. Posted Image

#53 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

Wow. That was a really fun episode and one of my favorite episodes yet. An International competition that pitted Poland, France, Argentina and USA against each other.

The guy from Poland was doofy and too buddy buddy with France.

The guy from France was a mad man.

The guy from Argentina was a beast and should have gone to the final.

The guy from USA was all business.

Ended up being France against USA in the final weapon build because Argentina had handle "catastrophic failure" when testing his knife during first part of competition, otherwise he would have advanced instead of France.

Anyway, obviously USA won. Would it be any other way?

#54 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:17 AM

Tabar-Shishpar in this episode. Kind of an interesting weapon. Axe on one end, a mace on the other. Not my favorite though, I gotta say.

The kill test was comical. Vest dork's weapon did more damage. Really tore into the guts and that final blow with the mace end on the skull made me lol.

I thought Vest dork's weapon was going to win it all, but suspender dork's was lighter (so easier to handle) and the axe end blade didn't show any damage like vest dork's did.

Next week is "Ultimate Champions Edition", where five returning champions return to earn a spot on the 4 anvils to even start the competition. The final weapon is the Tai Chi Sword.

#55 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostBriar King, on 11 October 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Last nights episode was Tabar-Shishpar which is a mace-axe hybrid. It’s just a short rod with one either on the end. Not the most elegant weapon and I was pretty bored with the tests. Actually I was pretty bored with the entire episode. All the entertainment was directed on one individual who mad me in stitches because of his smh moments.

2/3 of the weapons coming to challenge round were fantastic. Finally someone who said and drew they were going to make a sax made a fucking sax.

On ending while I was hoping for this guy to win I knew
Spoiler

It did a hell of a lot of damage to the breastplate.

#56 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

I found last night's episode kind of disappointing, tbh.

So, episode begins with five (instead of the normal four) contestants. And they bring their own forged chopper style knife. These knives are then put through tests. Goof ball's knife really chopped away at the wood. One eliminated, and then things proceed like a normal episode. Challenging knife forge. I was disappointed to see goof ball get eliminated, as he was entertaining (in a goof ball sort of way). Final weapon challenge (Tai Chi Sword) was meh. Joke boy had a lighter sword then Hawaii boy. Oh and one of the judges was a former champion.

Hold on to your butts! Next week's episode preliminary weapon challenge is Knights Templar crusader daggers. Oh and guys, they have to incorporate rusty chain mail as one of the components. And then the final weapon challenge that the two finalist have to build at their home forges is the iconic Knights Templar crusader sword.

#57 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

I was amazed that Nick was able to start a new canister and quench a knife in under 40 minutes.

#58 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

View Postacesn8s, on 18 October 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

I was amazed that Nick was able to start a new canister and quench a knife in under 40 minutes.

Do you mean Neil? (Nick was "goof ball" http://www.redtrollforge.com/).

Yeah, Hawaii boy did impress with that performance. I could have done without all the outbursts and yelling he exhibited during that rally. But hey, whatever gets you there. He fell much short during the final challenge, not understanding that "lite" was key in forging that sword. He even stated that his wheelhouse was heavy, burly weapons. So it was a forgone conclusion that Joke Boy would win.

#59 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:24 AM

Guys! Guys! That was flippn' bad ass! My favorite episode yet!

Wow. That first challenge was difficult! These guys are used to forging a bowie knife or something similar. Not a two sided dagger that tapers to a fine tip that can penetrate chain mail. To forge a Knights Templar crusader dagger was quite the test for the initial challenge. And they all had a different approach on how to incorporate the rusty chain mail.

I truly respected the guy from Alaska (David) because he was hammering his dagger into shape and not relying on the more modern belt sanders and grinders that were not used ages ago during the initial forging. The guy had the arms for it too.

Brian from Minnesota scrambled after snapping his blade during the handle round and was miraculously able to go to the final challenge with David.

Brian's Knights Templar crusader sword had some very cool design components, but David's outperformed it hands down.

Doug Marcaida's brother! Doug is injured so his brother (younger then Doug) R.J. did the kill test. Guys, this was flippin bad ass! David's Knights Templar crusader sword totally rocked this challenge. It totally destroyed that jelly test dummy!

David wins it all! I knew he would after watching him in the dagger round. Dude is just locked in to working the forge.

Oh and guys, more stuff to get excited about! I knew this episode had to be special because they featured both Knights Templar crusader daggers in first/second rounds and sword in final round. Well, guess what? They premiered a new trailer for Kinghttfall. YES!

And guys! Yet another thing. Next week is a Vikings themed episode. So, you guys can figure it out right? They are going to premier the new trailer for Vikings. YES!

############ ATTENTION! THIS POST WAS SUBMITTED AT 2:24 am UTC ############

#60 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 November 2017 - 03:47 AM, said:

What a fun episode! This was a Viking theme one and I loved it!

I really loved the Seer from Vikings making a video talking prophecy like about making a jack o lantern lmao!

Spoiler

Yeah, those bearded axes made short work of the dummy in the kill test. It's a shame that the edge rolled on the one. I would love to see the final judges deliberation on the weapons. Doug looked absolutely giddy.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users