• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7481 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

Eddie Redmayne might be the ugliest (famous) dude I've ever seen. Looks like a Dick Tracy villain mated with Freddy Krueger. That single bit of news makes me so much less enthused about the new movies. Not to be shallow about it, it's just a visceral repulsion.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7482 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

View Postworry, on 02 June 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

Eddie Redmayne might be the ugliest (famous) dude I've ever seen. Looks like a Dick Tracy villain mated with Freddy Krueger. That single bit of news makes me so much less enthused about the new movies. Not to be shallow about it, it's just a visceral repulsion.

Really? That's a truly odd view. He looks like a typical dude to me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7483 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

He look like the skinniest California Raisin got sucked even further dry by Bunnicula.

#7484 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

View Postworry, on 02 June 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

shallow view about someone's appearance

Not to be shallow about it...

FTFY
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7485 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

Bout to start ragging on his mama too.

#7486 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:51 PM

For the record, I've never seen her, but she looks like a day-old bagel wearing Groucho glasses.

#7487 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:11 AM

I hear she looks like Oscar the Grouch lives in her

like a Batman villain called Too Much Face Take It Away Oh God

like a classy, esteemed and respectable lady

...wait a minute
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7488 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

http://deadline.com/...ibe-1201436229/

Dark Tower movie news...again.

I will believe it, when i see it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7489 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Just watched Limitless.

For those who haven't heard about it, it's a film about a slacker who takes a pill that makes him superhumanly intelligent and the movie is basically about what he does with his new found brilliance.

I am wandering what people thought of it, especially compared to Lucy. I saw Lucy mentioned by a few people earlier in this thread. People didn't seem to like it.

To those who haven't watched Lucy, it's a story about some druggie (at least I think she is?) who accidentally gets an overdose of a super brain drug that within days will probably kill her.

Now here's what I think, I think Limitless is a unambitious story about a brilliant person, written by a person who isn't that clever. While Lucy is a crazy story written by a person who is pretty creative.

I think Limitless was a typical example of a story, where an author tries to write an intelligent character and fails because he does not factor in his own limited intellect, nor the viewer/readers analytical capability to single out the smart guys flaws.

Lucy does this much better by throwing caution to the wind and just going all out. Lucy is the super hero sci-fi fantasy version of Limitless. Instead of trying to write the every man story about what a loser does with his windfall, it's a story about what happens when you transcend the base needs and desires of a less intelligent being.

As such Lucy was quite the ride, while I spent the whole time watching Limitless thinking, god this smart guy is dumb.

Also it helped that Luc Beson makes crazy films.

This post has been edited by Apt: 06 June 2015 - 09:35 PM

#7490 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 06 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

I quite liked Limitless. It didn't exactly stick in the brain, but it was good fun to watch.

I haven't seen Lucy yet.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7491 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

THE MARTIAN trailer.

Goddamn, this looks incredible.

Makes me want to read the book.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7492 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:00 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 June 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

I quite liked Limitless. It didn't exactly stick in the brain, but it was good fun to watch.

I haven't seen Lucy yet.

I found, like Apt (ah, the pain), that the hero of Limitless acted incredibly stupid for being this sort of sci fi level genius. Lucy, despite it's enormous selection of flaws, at least managed that aspect tolerably well. I think Understand by Ted Chiang (they should just have based the script on that story) does a much better job of portraying someone who is able to transcend human intelligence.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7493 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 08 June 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

I haven't seen Lucy yet.

I found, like Apt (ah, the pain), that the hero of Limitless acted incredibly stupid for being this sort of sci fi level genius. Lucy, despite it's enormous selection of flaws, at least managed that aspect tolerably well. I think Understand by Ted Chiang (they should just have based the script on that story) does a much better job of portraying someone who is able to transcend human intelligence.

This was me too. LIMITLESS was a huge disappointment, and my wife (whose eye is FAR less discerning when it comes to movies than I) also didn't like it.

Oh, and I very nearly threw the remote at the TV when
Spoiler
God that was painful.

Oh, and if you are making a movie about a drug that allows you to use crazy brain potential or whatever...I get why you would be INCLINED to want to shoot it with filters so that OFF the drug everything is blue/gray and miserable, and everything ON the drug is bright and yellow/orange and lovely...but goddammit DON'T do that. As a viewer/audience, the point this makes to me is that MY life must be friggin miserable and gray and dreary because I'm not on some magic drug that makes me Brainy Smurf DeGrasse Tyson. That was PROBABLY the stupidest thing about the film and the worst choice the director made, trumping even the story points that bugged me, don't make your cinematography talk DOWN to me as the viewer. I don't want that. THE GAME manages to pull off the whole "Your life is better when..." aspect without Fincher having felt the need to fall back on a crutch like filters to get a point across. Audiences aren't stupid, let them do the work for the story ideals, not the celluloid.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

#7494 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

Anyone seen Kingsman? I watched it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys spy movies with a few shakers of salt. There were some moments in there that were absolute gold!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#7495 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostBlend, on 08 June 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Anyone seen Kingsman? I watched it recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys spy movies with a few shakers of salt. There were some moments in there that were absolute gold!

Great flick. Saw it in theatres. Someone (I think PG) referred to it as an homage to Roger Moore era Bond movies...and that's actually really apt. Since I grew up during the Moore Bond era I identified with that type of spy flick with all the goofiness, womanizing, and ridiculous villains.

#7496 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 08 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 June 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

Someone (I think PG) referred to it as an homage to Roger Moore era Bond movies...and that's actually really apt.

Well it wasn't me in so many words. Because iirc I've not seen a Roger Moore Bond movie ;), or at least not for aaaaaaaaages. But I might have said 'old-school Bond'. :p

Speaking of spy comedy-action films, I saw Spy today. I'm not normally a fan of Melissa McCarthy and the trailers looked pretty average but I went on the strength of good reviews and was not disappointed. It keeps the sad-sack/cringe stuff reigned in to tolerable levels and instead has a lot of legit(but funny) badassery. Plus Jason Statham is just hysterical.

Man, there's a lot of spy films this year. Already had this and Kingsman, and to an extent Fast 7, and have Bond, Mission: Impossible and Man from UNCLE on the way. Any I've missed?

Also, for some reason, loads of boxing films - although some might not get a US/UK release till next year, I guess.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 08 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7497 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 June 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 08 June 2015 - 04:00 PM, said:

I haven't seen Lucy yet.

This was me too. LIMITLESS was a huge disappointment, and my wife (whose eye is FAR less discerning when it comes to movies than I) also didn't like it.

Oh, and I very nearly threw the remote at the TV when
Spoiler
God that was painful.

Oh, and if you are making a movie about a drug that allows you to use crazy brain potential or whatever...I get why you would be INCLINED to want to shoot it with filters so that OFF the drug everything is blue/gray and miserable, and everything ON the drug is bright and yellow/orange and lovely...but goddammit DON'T do that. As a viewer/audience, the point this makes to me is that MY life must be friggin miserable and gray and dreary because I'm not on some magic drug that makes me Brainy Smurf DeGrasse Tyson. That was PROBABLY the stupidest thing about the film and the worst choice the director made, trumping even the story points that bugged me, don't make your cinematography talk DOWN to me as the viewer. I don't want that. THE GAME manages to pull off the whole "Your life is better when..." aspect without Fincher having felt the need to fall back on a crutch like filters to get a point across. Audiences aren't stupid, let them do the work for the story ideals, not the celluloid.

The thing that annoyed me about that film was "If you're that clever why not work out how to make more of the drug?" ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7498 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

Or, if you're so clever why don't you notice that you're getting low on the drug before you're all out?
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7499 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

They're actually making a TV show based on the film too with Bradley Cooper making guest appearences...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4422836/

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#7500 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 June 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

The thing that annoyed me about that film was "If you're that clever why not work out how to make more of the drug?" ;)

Spoiler

View PostMorgoth, on 09 June 2015 - 05:27 AM, said:

Or, if you're so clever why don't you notice that you're getting low on the drug before you're all out?

Spoiler

View Postchamp, on 09 June 2015 - 08:03 AM, said:

They're actually making a TV show based on the film too with Bradley Cooper making guest appearences...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4422836/

I feel like there's already been a bunch of these shows. Wasn't there one a couple years ago about a guy with a chip in his head? And another one with some guy who had brain surgery or something?

This post has been edited by Apt: 09 June 2015 - 08:50 AM

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users