• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Captain America: Civil War Teaser is actually a trailer is actually a synopsis

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

I haven't liked any of the Captain America films and I highly doubt they can do the Civil War event justice.

But this could still be good, right?

... Right?

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:47 PM

Pssst.

http://forum.malazan...ost__p__1210389
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Pssh! That thread is old news. This is a brand new shiny Captain America thread! Get it while it's still hot luke warm!

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:34 PM

The new trailer is INSANE.

FUCKING.

INSANE.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

Not sure if excited or just extremely sarcastic.

This post has been edited by Apt: 25 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostApt, on 25 November 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

I haven't liked any of the Captain America films

I've tried reading this line like a dozen times and I still can't make any sense out of it. :(
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:01 PM

Well, lets have it out then.

Spoiler

Overall I think both films lack depth of character, the writing is poor, the plots are dumb and I think they shit on the Comic book universe, which I know is par for the course apparently but I don't have to like it.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

I will hear no bad words about CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLIDER. It is as close to a perfect film as Marvel has done so far. In fact, CAP 2 and GOTG are pretty much the pinnacle of what the MCU has achieved so far.

The Russo Brothers are an amazing writing directing duo.

And bullet points on your complaints about CAP 2 (which, BTW needs no spoiler tags...Cap 1 came out four years ago, and CAP 2 nearly two years ago)

- SHIELD's infiltration happened at its inception. There is nothing to sell you. It's not like it happened all of the sudden... CAP 2 shows you that when the OSS changed over into SHIELD officially in the late 1940's, they were unknowingly already employing Hydra agents within their ranks...from there all it takes is time and perseverance to make the infiltration (65+ years later) complete enough that high ranking World Gov't types are in with Hydra...and those who aren't realized too late.

- Fury goes undercover because other than a VERY small pool of people in his circle, he cannot trust anyone. As of the events of CAP 2 ANYONE could be Hydra in disguise. Fury can trust like three people...and he doesn't even trust Steve fully...not really. The organization he's been in charge of for decades is found to be rotten to the core, and people he thought were friends and allies have been working against him the entire time. So he can't "save the mess" really. Best he can do is take the ones he can trust, and aim THEM at the mess.

CAP 1 is not great, but it's not terrible either. CAP 2 is SCADS better.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

As for the criticisms of Captain America being used as a wartime prop to cheering audiences - THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE BECAUSE HE'S CALLED CAPTAIN AMERICA AND DRESSED UP IN ALL THAT ICONOGRAPHY.

Aaaargh.

Do you not remember Flags of Our Fathers or Armor, in which real soldiers go on PR tours and hate it? They were/are real things that happened/happen today.

For what it's worth, I agree that they didn't really develop Captain's in-person specialness, tactics, and personal convictions that makes him unique.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:53 PM

View PostApt, on 25 November 2015 - 04:45 PM, said:

I haven't liked any of the Captain America films

You are dead to me.

View PostQuickTidal, on 25 November 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

I will hear no bad words about CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLIDER. It is as close to a perfect film as Marvel has done so far...CAP 1 is not great, but it's not terrible either. CAP 2 is SCADS better.

Seconded on all points.

View Postamphibian, on 25 November 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

As for the criticisms of Captain America being used as a wartime prop to cheering audiences - THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE BECAUSE HE'S CALLED CAPTAIN AMERICA AND DRESSED UP IN ALL THAT ICONOGRAPHY.

That was the entire point of the character way back when. The concept has changed and evolved, but at the start, as a comic and as a concept, Cap was the frikkin american flag given life.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

I didn't have any major problems with any of them, but the first Captain America skipped from the jail-break to the train scene and final assault way too fast - we basically went straight from the origin story to the final boss fight without ever seeing an average day in the life of Captain except for a too-quick montage. Likewise PeggyXSteve could've used some middle part there, too. Red Skull was kind of schizo, too ("I hide my fake face" 2 second later: "I take off my fake face because I'm so proud!").

CAmerica #2 had more fun pieces to juggle around and we didn't already know how it would end, so that was fun, but there was a lot of things that barely made sense (the german robot guy got captured by the Americans and then later somehow retrieved Bucky's body but was still within SHIELD? They let Capt go just so they can immediately try and capture him? BWidow could impersonate random people this whole time? Why did the computer of a boat contain no other information except to point to an empty Hydra archive with robot german guy?). It was still fun, well-paced and had good character dynamics regardless, IMO.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:01 PM

The Cap movies were the only major non-first-Avengers movies that were truly satisfying for me, and this looks very much in the same vein.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 November 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

... even though Black Panther is in this movie he's still not cast for the person who is going to be in BP movie. I find that strange. I wonder if he is just going to be in a 1 quick non speaking scene in CW?

there's a suggestion that some of the countries who have been victimized by the Winter Soldier sent representatives to help bring him in. Panther is Wakanda's.

#14 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

View Postworry, on 25 November 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

The Cap movies were the only major non-first-Avengers movies that were truly satisfying for me, and this looks very much in the same vein.

This.

I still enjoy Cap 1 for what it is (although D'rek's right, it lacked a middle) and I enjoy Hugo Weaving as the baddie - does he make total sense? No, but he's fun to watch and gets some great dialogue. That and I'm just completely taken on the idea of Hugo Weaving being an ax-crazy German scientist.

The Winter Solider is hands down the best MCU film to date, and I thnk the only one that has a chance of knocking it off top spot will be Civil War - none of the other non-Avengers movies come close (Thor 1 and the Iron Mans are fun, but not on the same level) and the Avengers movies are fun but a bit too full and frenetic to achieve the sort of film Winter Soldier is.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 26 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#15 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

I have always felt cap 1 was just a movie rushed through production so it would be ready before avengers 1. The movie is horrendous!

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 November 2015 - 01:42 PM

You are all out of your mind.

Captain America in these films is a shadow of the Cap we see in the comics. Then again, this is based on Ultimate Captain America who was a raging dickhead so I guess it could be worse.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 November 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

I was watching Collider early and they were saying that even though Black Panther is in this movie he's still not cast for the person who is going to be in BP movie. I find that strange. I wonder if he is just going to be in a 1 quick non speaking scene in CW?

He is cast actually. It's Chadwick Boseman, he was announced back when the Phase 3 announcements went live, and I'm almost positive that he's the guy in the BP suit in Civil War, and will be the guy in the standalone Black Panther flick.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 November 2015 - 02:08 PM

#18 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 26 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostApt, on 26 November 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

You are all out of your mind.

Captain America in these films is a shadow of the Cap we see in the comics. Then again, this is based on Ultimate Captain America who was a raging dickhead so I guess it could be worse.

Some of us have never read the comics! I think the only Marvel media I ever consumed before the MCU movies began was some of the 90s Spiderman cartoon...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#19 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Of course, and I get that the movie versions are meant for the consumption of the people who don't read comics. But, at least to me, Captain America much more than many other super heroes is a symbol. A walking embodiment of idealism. A man who's very presence makes people straighten up, pay attention, work harder, strive to be a better person. He's supposed to be this amalgamation of a perfect soldier and a wise leader. Not like Superman who is a god, but as a mortal man who's spent his life fighting for ideas like freedom, happiness, hope, etc.

The Captain America of the films is a younger man. I never get the impression that he is the sharpest person in the room, nor the best man, nor the most passionate. Much of the time he simply plays the role of "The Man out of Time" (to borrow a line from Fallout 4) instead of being the living memory of a better time.

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostApt, on 26 November 2015 - 04:48 PM, said:

Of course, and I get that the movie versions are meant for the consumption of the people who don't read comics. But, at least to me, Captain America much more than many other super heroes is a symbol. A walking embodiment of idealism. A man who's very presence makes people straighten up, pay attention, work harder, strive to be a better person. He's supposed to be this amalgamation of a perfect soldier and a wise leader. Not like Superman who is a god, but as a mortal man who's spent his life fighting for ideas like freedom, happiness, hope, etc.

The Captain America of the films is a younger man. I never get the impression that he is the sharpest person in the room, nor the best man, nor the most passionate. Much of the time he simply plays the role of "The Man out of Time" (to borrow a line from Fallout 4) instead of being the living memory of a better time.

See, I FULLY got the "living memory of a better time" vibe from him when Coulson was obsessing over his collectible Cap cards. I also go it in CAP 2 throughout. I mean that entire movie is Cap standing up the the 2013 establishment and saying "Wait, wait...hold on. My generation fought for what we have and fought against the tyranny of the axis powers...and look at what you're doing to that memory...you're tarnishing that, you're becoming what we fought against and I won't have it."

He is only moderately derailed by the fact that Bucky shows back up and that throws Cap off his stride. But he very much is the man you are looking for....at least in CAP 2.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users