• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Captain America: Civil War Teaser is actually a trailer is actually a synopsis

#21 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

I agree, Cap 2 did a better job of portraying Cap.

But like I mentioned on the other page. My problem with Cap 2 was with SHIELD, Cap 1 shat on Captain America, Cap 2 in my opinion shits on SHIELD. Hell, Avengers 1 and 2 does it as well, lets not even mention that garbage TV show. But I hated how simple they made the take over/corruption of SHIELD appear. I don't care how long they'd been working in the shadows, taking out SHIELD should never be that easy. Even good guy SHIELD Agents are double crossing, back-up plan planning, secret hoarding spooks that suspect anyone and everything.

Yes Nick Fury is the best of that lot but he would have had a network to crush stuff like this.

What my real issue is that I hate the compacted time lines the films have to work on. I wouldn't had minded SHIELD collapsing in on itself say in another couple phases of Marvel films, with plenty of hints of secret wars going on inside SHIELD and the government. This felt rushed.

And, looping back on this new film, I think Civil War will be bad simple because they have not had the time to make the conflicts and the tension seem organic, rather than manufactured. I mean half of Avengers 2 was pretty much made to foreshadow Civil War, but in a very rushed fashion.

Comic book Civil War was an epic culmination of 5-10 years of Marvel events that effected everything and drew upon hundreds of characters. For movie Civil War to feel meaningful I feel like it should happen after the films establish more Marvel Characters and solidify the roles they play, the power structure, so that when Civil War comepletely tears everything apart you see how far the nation falls and how hard they have to fight to restore order. Civil War itself should be a much bigger event than the Avengers series.

To me Civil War should be introduced after Infinity Gauntlet finishes. Not before.

#22 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

I haven't read the comics so I don't have much much sentiment when it comes to canon. But I read an analysis of the trailer that brought up an idea about how they're going to frame the issue. It was based upon the idea that one of the themes of the movie is going to be Cap's bromance with Bucky and Tony Stark. Choosing the ex over the current one.

I'll check my browser history to see if I can find the article.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

I think it looks awesome.....
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:00 PM

Comic Civil War sucked. I hope the movie disregards the worst parts (no extradimension Guantanamo Bays to lock your friends up indefinitely or nanomachine-controlled villain slave corps please) and does a better job of showing both sides as having valid reasons to act as they do. By which I mean showing both sides.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:07 PM

But then we wouldn't get Dark Reigh. Or Norman Osborne as Patriot Ironman.

#26 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Good. That sounds stupid.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:49 PM

The bones of Civil War (that of rival factions within the superhero community being FOR and AGAINST being kept tabs on by the government to keep the populous safe and informed) are good...it's the execution that was so far off the mark in the actual comics.

My hope is that the Russo Brothers are smart enough to use those bones to tell a better story than the comics did.

EDIT: Also, I love that we've followed up Tony Stark circa-AVENGERS-AoU (which is Tony at full hubris level; "I can play at being a god and win, cause I'm fucking Tony Stark!") with Tony Stark circa-CIVIL WAR as the man who REALLY, REALLY fucked up and is pretty much solely responsible for the events that lead to the Sokovia Accords, and how the world views superheroes in a bad light...in full on repentance mode...a character progression that makes sense...but is completely at odds with who Tony was when he started out. And for me that's the people in charge of the MCU being VERY aware of their characters and life trajectories at a humanistic level. That's impressive to me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostD, on 26 November 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 26 November 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

You are all out of your mind.

Captain America in these films is a shadow of the Cap we see in the comics. Then again, this is based on Ultimate Captain America who was a raging dickhead so I guess it could be worse.

Some of us have never read the comics! I think the only Marvel media I ever consumed before the MCU movies began was some of the 90s Spiderman cartoon...

Apt is very much correct about Ultimate Captain America. He was a great, big bag of dicks. Totally badass and a true, boots on the ground, up close in your face and personal, Super Soldier. But he was NOT a good guy. Of course, the general populace viewed him as a hero, but he wasn't. He was a genuine asshole, not at all like the captain america shown in cap 1. He was self-righteous, sexist and sometimes even cruel. Rather a good analogy for the more unpleasant parts of american patriotism.

Regarding comic book civil war, I rather think that the only one on the pro-SRA side who had valid reasons for what he did was Reed Richards. Tony Stark had gone on and on about how he was totally a Futurist and that it was his business to know what was going to happen before the fact. And he did, to an extent. But Reed Richards had calculated a far worse outcome than even Stark had imagined. And, if I recall correctly, he was both right and wrong. Right about what would happen and wrong about what needed to be done about it.

In the coming movie a friend of mine is totally on the side of Iron Man because, well, he's got a raging hard-on for Tony Stark and he hates Captain America. But from what we can see in the trailer, at least so far, it does seem like he might have a point.

It appears that CapAm helps Bucky escape the authorities because he's his friend, which he also tells Tony, to which Tony responds "So was I"

This could well turn out to be not even different, but very different, from the comic book in what their seperate motivations are.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostApt, on 26 November 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Captain America in these films ... this is based on Ultimate Captain America who was a raging dickhead ...

You know that this isn't true.

Ultimate Cap was, at times, a raging dickhead.

He bears no resemblance to Movie Cap beyond the belt pouches and Sam Jackson as Nick Fury.

Main Marvel Comics Cap is a whole other thing with sixty years of stories behind him.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:38 PM

I think the friendship thing is a miss-direction. Or I hope it is, otherwise the whole movie becomes dumb in 30 seconds.

It's more likely that the Winter Soldier is just a symbol or martyr in a bigger war. The comic book civil war becomes a war when the American Government starts demanding that heroes and ordinary citizens turn themselves in for registration and possibly "re-assignment". To Cap this is obviously a bit to reminiscent of the 30s and 40s. Peoples liberties are being taken away and personal freedom is at stake.

In the movies one assumes this is the same focus. Bucky is just the trial case. Other heroes and villains will be taken out if they do not turn themselves in. Cap will obviously be torn between being the good soldier who follows orders and his own ideals of what freedom is and how a government should behave.

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Final trailer has arrived with our first look at Spiderman.

Spidey eyes courtesy of John Romita Sr. in style, and the fact that they are expressive? Awesome.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 10 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:06 PM

while i like it, REALLY wish the Spidey reveal had been left as a surprise for the film itself.
meh. Link was dead :(

#33 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

ditto, not watching the trailer, but its been plastered over media today, would rather have been 'holy fuck its spidey!' in the cinema

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Meh, this is the last trailer and it's only a brief moment, so I was okay with it.

I can understand wanting to see it fresh in theatre though, for sure. :thumbsup:

#35 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

There's also a good look at Crossbones.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#36 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:25 AM

Yah I can understand that about Spidey (though it IS a charming intro), but overall this movie looks pretty darn awesome.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#37 User is online   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:54 AM

Daaayyyyum this movie looks good.

And in the age of putting the entire damn movies into trailers, you should know if you dont want spoilers, you cant watch the trailers.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:19 AM

They had me at "Underoos!".
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#39 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 11 March 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Daaayyyyum this movie looks good.

And in the age of putting the entire damn movies into trailers, you should know if you dont want spoilers, you cant watch the trailers.

So I now have to time my entrance to the theatre just right to miss trailers and catch start of movie.
Oh great.

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hires look at the new Spidey costume (spoilered for those who don't want to see it yet).

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 11 March 2016 - 03:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users