• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some points I couldn't understand

#1 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:19 PM

Hi all,

I am reading books in English since they are not translated to my native language and the language of the book is somewhat hard for me. Therefore, I think I failed some points:

• Why there was a riot in Otataral Mines? Was it planned for the escape of the trio? If so, isn't it too harsh to create a riot in order for three people to escape? Many people died in the riot...
  • I am really confused with Icarium&Mappo and Pust encounter. What was the point?
  • What is Red Blades, what do they do? Whom are they loyal to? Are they the same with Red Swords?
  • Why did Fiddler choose to go the heart of the Apocalypse? Totally lost there...
  • Why did Duiker refuse to go with Kulp? What is he trying to do?

I know that these questions might have "RAFO" answers. Please avoid spoilers as I am only halfway through the book :rolleyes:

Thank you for your time,

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:24 PM

Since your only half way through the book. Obviously you should RAFO. :rolleyes: I will admit that not everything gets cleared up by the end, so if you have questions then go ahead and ask.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostVengeance, on 06 October 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Since your only half way through the book. Obviously you should RAFO. :D I will admit that not everything gets cleared up by the end, so if you have questions then go ahead and ask.

I know that some answers are RAFO but I fear that since I am reading the book in a foreign language, I am sometimes not sure if the point I couldn't understand is going to be revealed later or I missed it totatlly :rolleyes: For example I recall something about my 4th and 5th questions in the book like it was explained but I am not sure and I cannot remember. This is bothering me but I don't have much choice, I guess...

#4 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

I think 1,2,4 and 5 are RAFO

Maybe 3 is too, but its not really spoiler
quote from Malazan wiki:
'The Red Blades (or Red Swords) were a company of Seven Cities natives who vowed absolute loyalty to the Malazan Empire.'

wiki is full of handy informations, but I wouldnt suggest visiting it until youre finished because there is also a lot of spoliers. Except free readers zone where you can find maps and chapter summaries that might help you recalling or realizing some of the stuff. Then theres also Tor Reread with more detailed summaries for single chapters too.

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 06 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#5 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:21 PM

View Postiso9001, on 06 October 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

View PostVengeance, on 06 October 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Since your only half way through the book. Obviously you should RAFO. :rolleyes: I will admit that not everything gets cleared up by the end, so if you have questions then go ahead and ask.

I know that some answers are RAFO but I fear that since I am reading the book in a foreign language, I am sometimes not sure if the point I couldn't understand is going to be revealed later or I missed it totatlly :D For example I recall something about my 4th and 5th questions in the book like it was explained but I am not sure and I cannot remember. This is bothering me but I don't have much choice, I guess...

Unfortunately there are a lot of things that at times aren't explained even in one book. You have started on a 10 book odyssey and there are going to be a lot of things that aren't fully explained. Steve and Ian are only showing us glimpses of a world that is millions of years old and filled with strange things. Lots of stuff happen off screen or for reasons that you can't figure out for several books. I know that it can be slow going to read it in a language that isn't your first. I would just hesitate to tell you about things as I don't really know where you are in the book and DG is such a good book that I would be worried about spoiling anything for you.

#6 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

View Postiso9001, on 06 October 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hi all,

I am reading books in English since they are not translated to my native language and the language of the book is somewhat hard for me. Therefore, I think I failed some points:

• Why there was a riot in Otataral Mines? Was it planned for the escape of the trio? If so, isn't it too harsh to create a riot in order for three people to escape? Many people died in the riot...
  • I am really confused with Icarium&Mappo and Pust encounter. What was the point?
  • What is Red Blades, what do they do? Whom are they loyal to? Are they the same with Red Swords?
  • Why did Fiddler choose to go the heart of the Apocalypse? Totally lost there...

I know that these questions might have "RAFO" answers. Please avoid spoilers as I am only halfway through the book :rolleyes:

Thank you for your time,

Regards

There is a lot of RAFO here and sometimes things may turn out different than it appears on first glance, but for where you are in the books it is sufficient to know:

1. The uprising in the mines is part of the larger rebellion that is taking place on the Seven Cities subcontinent. Otataral Island is on the northeast tip of the continent and a lot of its prisoners are from Seven Cities, so when rumours of the rebellion reach the workers, they see it as a chance to rise up and rebel/escape.
2. Can't really answer that as I do not know where you are in the book.
3. The Red Blades (sometimes also referred to as the Red Swords, not sure if that's a typo, GOTMism, or never explained in world classification) are a faction/cult of Seven Cities soldiers that are loyal to the Malazan Empire/Empress Laseen. So the Seven Cities rebels see them as traitors to their own people.
4. Originally, Fiddler chose to help Sorry/Apsalar return home and to attempt to kill the Empress for her betrayal of the Bridgeburners in GotM. However, during their journey they get caught up in events (the Whirlwind rebellion and the Path of Hands convergence). Kalam chooses to return to the Empire through the heart of the whirlwind rebellion, whereas Fiddler and co choose the alternative route through Tremorlor. Again, lots of RAFO, depends on where you are currently.
5. Originally Duiker was going to help Heboric to escape from Otataral Island, however the rebellion broke out unexpectedly and as a historian and chronicler he wants to warn the Malazan high command of the impending threat and to travel with Coltaine and the army. So he sends Kulp instead.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 06 October 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

quote from Malazan wiki:
'The Red Blades (or Red Swords) were a company of Seven Cities natives who vowed absolute loyalty to the Malazan Empire.'

wiki is full of handy informations, but I wouldnt suggest visiting it until youre finished because there is also a lot of spoliers. Except free readers zone where you can find maps and chapter summaries that might help you recalling or realizing some of the stuff. Then theres also Tor Reread with more detailed summaries for single chapters too.

This is awesome, thank you very much.

#8 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:36 PM

quote from Malazan wiki:

Thank you for your concern. I had some spoilers before and it is really bad :rolleyes:

#9 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostGorefest, on 06 October 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

View Postiso9001, on 06 October 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

Hi all,

Thank you for your time,

Regards

There is a lot of RAFO here and sometimes things may turn out different than it appears on first glance, but for where you are in the books it is sufficient to know:

1. The uprising in the mines is part of the larger rebellion that is taking place on the Seven Cities subcontinent. Otataral Island is on the northeast tip of the continent and a lot of its prisoners are from Seven Cities, so when rumours of the rebellion reach the workers, they see it as a chance to rise up and rebel/escape.
2. Can't really answer that as I do not know where you are in the book.
3. The Red Blades (sometimes also referred to as the Red Swords, not sure if that's a typo, GOTMism, or never explained in world classification) are a faction/cult of Seven Cities soldiers that are loyal to the Malazan Empire/Empress Laseen. So the Seven Cities rebels see them as traitors to their own people.
4. Originally, Fiddler chose to help Sorry/Apsalar return home and to attempt to kill the Empress for her betrayal of the Bridgeburners in GotM. However, during their journey they get caught up in events (the Whirlwind rebellion and the Path of Hands convergence). Kalam chooses to return to the Empire through the heart of the whirlwind rebellion, whereas Fiddler and co choose the alternative route through Tremorlor. Again, lots of RAFO, depends on where you are currently.
5. Originally Duiker was going to help Heboric to escape from Otataral Island, however the rebellion broke out unexpectedly and as a historian and chronicler he wants to warn the Malazan high command of the impending threat and to travel with Coltaine and the army. So he sends Kulp instead.

Great! What I have been expecting, answers without spoiler :D Thank you very much.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

OP, if you don't mind what is your first language? I ask because English is not my first language either.

I am answering 1, as its minor but putting in spoiler code. Read after finishing DG

Spoiler

#11 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

No worries, ask away. Lots of people here that will be happy to help.

The locations and movements of people and groups can get confusing at times, especially because you are dealing with various different continents and regions. So it pays to keep the area maps handy. The Tor rereads that were suggested earlier are also great and mostly spoiler free, but some people don't like them because there still is the occasional spoiler in the comments or the rereader/summariser points out things that he doesn't consider spoilers but other readers might. So it is definitely worth reading the Tor rereads, but it is probably better to do so after you have finished a particular book instead of reading them side by side.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 06 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

View Postiso9001, on 06 October 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

quote from Malazan wiki:

Thank you for your concern. I had some spoilers before and it is really bad :rolleyes:

Thanking once would be more than enough :D

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 06 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:46 PM

View PostAndorion, on 06 October 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

OP, if you don't mind what is your first language? I ask because English is not my first language either.

I am answering 1, as its minor but putting in spoiler code. Read after finishing DG

Spoiler

Didn't consider that a spoiler as he already has read past Duiker and Kulp splitting up.

On a side note, English isn't my first language either!

#14 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostGorefest, on 06 October 2015 - 02:46 PM, said:

Spoiler

Didn't consider that a spoiler as he already has read past Duiker and Kulp splitting up.

Seems like English is native language only to minority of people here

This post has been edited by Charlie Nom: 06 October 2015 - 02:52 PM

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

Spoiler

I didn't see your post. Go the second languagers!

#16 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 06 October 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

Spoiler

We have a very large presence of members from every country in the world. I would say that the majority are native english speakers. But luckily the Malazan empire has been translated into a large variety of languages as it benefits us all to have different view points.

#17 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

View PostVengeance, on 06 October 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

View PostCharlie Nom, on 06 October 2015 - 02:51 PM, said:

We have a very large presence of members from every country in the world. I would say that the majority are native english speakers. But luckily the Malazan empire has been translated into a large variety of languages as it benefits us all to have different view points.

Ive made a poll

#18 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

My native language is Turkish. Here in Turkey, a publiching house has the rights for the Malazan books and they even had the first book translated. However, it seems like they are not going to publish the first book even before 2016. Therefore, my only option is to read it in English. I read Sanderson's Mistborn in English, too and it was not bad at all but in Malazan, I am constantly using the dictionary and even then the book can be confusing. Well, it is understandable since native English speakers are also having trouble sometimes :rolleyes:

Although it's mentioned that one thank you is enough, I am going to thank you all again :D

Regards

#19 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:59 PM

View Postiso9001, on 06 October 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

My native language is Turkish. Here in Turkey, a publiching house has the rights for the Malazan books and they even had the first book translated. However, it seems like they are not going to publish the first book even before 2016. Therefore, my only option is to read it in English. I read Sanderson's Mistborn in English, too and it was not bad at all but in Malazan, I am constantly using the dictionary and even then the book can be confusing. Well, it is understandable since native English speakers are also having trouble sometimes :rolleyes:

Although it's mentioned that one thank you is enough, I am going to thank you all again :D

Regards

Even as a native speaker i frequently required a dictionary as well as erikson's vocabulary is quite advanced to say the least. And at the time (high school) i prided myself on my own vocabulary. Granted not like standards for high school students are particularly high

#20 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:45 AM

O.K., a new question as I am continuing to read:

How did Kulp's gang end up in the Warren? They were on Ripath and saw another ship because Ripath was going to sink. They swam to the other ship and found themselves in a Warren? Is the other ship some kind of portal? Is it accessible to anyone? Are all these RAFO, too :rolleyes:

Regards

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users