• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some points I couldn't understand

#41 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 October 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

I have this vague recall that it healed them from the botfly bites, tho not completely. Never came up again in DG that I can think of.

The tincture against the bloodfly effects was earlier on in the book, it was a brew that Heboric knew about that would drive the larvae out (chapter 6 or thereabouts).

The fountain water simply has a slight regenerative effect. Felisin muses later in the book that after drinking from the water and eating the fruits, "she felt healthier - more mended - than she had in a long time, as if memories no longer bled and she was left with naught but scars."

I think the main reason why SE stresses it is to show Heboric's heightened sensitivity to past events in the area, his new powers providing him with some sort of link to the history of his surroundings. Don't think the effects of the water and fruit ever recur as a storyline element in themselves.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#42 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

I just finished TOR reread of DG and other than Felisin saying "feeling better and mended" after some time drinking water, I didn't see any more effects of the water. Therefore, I guess it was to point out Heboric's condition as Gorefest suggested.

What I now wonder (will it ever end Posted Image) is, if I didn't understand wrong, Minala jumped to the sea after Kalam fell. The captain also ordered his mage to clear her path due to her bravery. But after that, Kalam gets out of the water all by himself (and starts dealing with the Hand) and there is no connection of him to Minala. Is there something missing here? Didn't Minala jump into water to save him from sharks?

What was the truth that Gesler and Stormy were hiding from the Truth? What was the reason? Were they searching for Heboric?

How come the bottle on Heboric got broken?

Thank you for your patience :)

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#43 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

Minala: she saved Kalam from a bunch of assassins in the city, so not sure what you mean with no connection?

Not sure about your question regarding Gesler and Stormy. What 'truth' are you referring to? What event is this? Are you referring to the cattle dog? They were searching for Duiker, who was the one who sent them on their mission to find Heboric.

Not sure either about any broken bottle on Heboric. Are you sure you aren't referring to Duiker? Duiker received the 'soul catcher' bottle that was originally meant for Coltaine. But Coltaine didn't want it. The bottle gets broken during Duiker's crucifixion, I believe. He gets collected from the cross by Baruk's servants.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#44 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostGorefest, on 28 October 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Minala: she saved Kalam from a bunch of assassins in the city, so not sure what you mean with no connection?

Not sure about your question regarding Gesler and Stormy. What 'truth' are you referring to? What event is this? Are you referring to the cattle dog? They were searching for Duiker, who was the one who sent them on their mission to find Heboric.

Not sure either about any broken bottle on Heboric. Are you sure you aren't referring to Duiker? Duiker received the 'soul catcher' bottle that was originally meant for Coltaine. But Coltaine didn't want it. The bottle gets broken during Duiker's crucifixion, I believe. He gets collected from the cross by Baruk's servants.

The truth theyre hiding is they found Duiker crucifixed
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:00 PM

Regarding the healing water, there is a similarly effective natural pool near my house. I am willing to sell some at the low low price of $19.99 per 8 oz bottle, plus S&H, so PM me if you want to purchase.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:08 PM

View Postworry, on 28 October 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

Regarding the healing water, there is a similarly effective natural pool near my house. I am willing to sell some at the low low price of $19.99 per 8 oz bottle, plus S&H, so PM me if you want to purchase.

'death occurs immediatly after swallowing one drop' is not really similar effect worry

#47 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:25 AM

View PostGorefest, on 28 October 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

Ahh sorry, of course I meant Duiker :)

The event is Gesler's team is still searching for someone and they meet Mappo. I thought they were looking for Duiker in order to break the bottle but I guess it makes more sense to think that the bottle is broken during crucifixion.

Yes, Minala saved Kalam but it was on the ground. Do you remember when Minala goes after Kalam to the sea (I guess) and Cartheron ordered his mage to open her way. Here is what happened:

Horse hooves clomped on the main deck behind them. Both men turned. The First Mate stepped forward. 'You there! What in Mael's name do you think you're doing? How did you get that damned animal on deck?'
The woman tightened the girth-strap another notch, then swung up into the saddle. 'I'm sorry,' she said. 'But I cannot wait.'
Sailors and marines scattered as she drove the horse forward. The creature cleared the side rail and leapt out into darkness. A loud splash followed a moment later.
The First Mate turned back to his captain, jaw hanging.
'Get Ship's Mage and a goat,' the captain snapped.
'Sir?'
'Anyone brave and stupid enough to do what she just did has earned our every assistance. Have Ship's Mage clear a path through the sharks and whatever else might await her. Be quick about it!'

Now there is a splash sound which makes me think Minala jumped into the sea to save Kalam but Kalam gets out of the water by himself. Then somehow, Minala saves him on the ground. I think there is a broken link here.

#48 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:21 AM

Well, Kalam is pretty badass, so clearly he didn't need her help. Minala has a bit of a thing for Kalam, so as soon as she saw him go overboard she wanted to go after him. Not really sure where the missing link is there. Her going overboard makes the mages on her ship sort out the sharks, which may have also helped Kalam's predicament.

#49 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

View Postiso9001, on 29 October 2015 - 07:25 AM, said:

Yes, Minala saved Kalam but it was on the ground. Do you remember when Minala goes after Kalam to the sea (I guess) and Cartheron ordered his mage to open her way. Here is what happened:

Horse hooves clomped on the main deck behind them. Both men turned. The First Mate stepped forward. 'You there! What in Mael's name do you think you're doing? How did you get that damned animal on deck?'
The woman tightened the girth-strap another notch, then swung up into the saddle. 'I'm sorry,' she said. 'But I cannot wait.'
Sailors and marines scattered as she drove the horse forward. The creature cleared the side rail and leapt out into darkness. A loud splash followed a moment later.
The First Mate turned back to his captain, jaw hanging.
'Get Ship's Mage and a goat,' the captain snapped.
'Sir?'
'Anyone brave and stupid enough to do what she just did has earned our every assistance. Have Ship's Mage clear a path through the sharks and whatever else might await her. Be quick about it!'

Now there is a splash sound which makes me think Minala jumped into the sea to save Kalam but Kalam gets out of the water by himself. Then somehow, Minala saves him on the ground. I think there is a broken link here.

imho she just wasnt fast enough and caught-up later in the city

idk how fast can horses swim, but Kalam was probably faster

#50 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Well that makes sense now. While I was reading, I thought that since she jumped into the water, she must have been the one saving Kalam (Clearly, I am mistaken just like Minala :) ). I was confused to read that Kalam survived on his own and there was also no clue/sign of Minala getting out of the water. That was why I was surprised when Minala suddenly saved Kalam.

#51 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

I can see that misunderstanding, because Minala herself probably thinks she's jumping in to save Kalam from drowning or whatever due to his injury. But as it turns out, he's tougher than she and the reader (at this point) thinks. She finds a way to help him in other ways on land, as you know, but the main takeaway is that Kalam is a walking (or swimming) one-man army. The only people in these scenes who seem to know this already are Laseen and Pearl.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users