• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SLEEPY HOLLOW !!!SPOILERS - DISCUSSION THREAD SPOILERS to latest ep SPOI

#1 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Reposting my tv thread post, because FRINGE is gone and this show is the logical heir, albeit supernatural instead of science and also everything else is different.... :rofl:

View PostAbyss, on 23 September 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

SLEEPY HOLLOW.

Saw the premiere. Way more fun than i was expecting it to be. Ocri and Kurzman probably hammered way more plot groundwork

Spoiler

in than they needed, but even so this worked really well. Didn't hurt that the leads Ichabod and Abby were both nailing the performances. I'm in for at least the next few eps, and seeing as how the same team made FRINGE, likely longer.

ETA http://www.tvwise.co...-sleepy-hollow/

YES YES YESYEYEEESSSS!!!!!!!!
Now they just need the cow...

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

The Mrs and I loved the first ep. A MUCH more solid debut than we were expecting, and the addition of making the Horseman one of THE 4 Horseman, being controlled by some demonic entity (the foulr white trees are fucking CREEPY), not to mention the covens of witches attempting to keep the apocalypse at bay...makes this so much more than JUST Sleepy Hollow...so that gives you some longevity there.

Love both the leads, and found that adding the feature of Abbie's back story tying into events and revealing that on the first ep...nice stuff. I wonder when we'll see her sister, and how that's going to come into play as well.

Oh and Orlando Jones as the Chief (cleverly named Irving...wink wink, nod nod)...who knew the spastic guy from Mad TV had drama in him? Great stuff on his part!

As well I wanted to note the clear diversity of the cast! Kudos to the powers that be for being circumspect with their casting, and giving us one of two Protagonists as a POC, as well as the above named man in charge on the force.

Oh, and lastly, did anyone else notice when the Horseman was stood on his horse in the cemetery of the church there was a yellow caution sign with a dude on horseback, and after the fight and the axe went slicing through the sign the figure on the sign no longer had a head? It was subtle, but the Mrs noticed it. Nice little easter egg.

Anyways, great update to the tale. Love the Revolutionary war throwbacks, and the witches as well. This has some chops as it stands, looking fwd to tonight's new ep.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

I liked it too. Time travel and the apocalypse are always great choices for a show, and I'm liking the setup in this one so far. I didn't realize this was from the Fringe guys, but that's great to know, as I think they will do a good job with this.

I also like the warring factions within the city, one for and one against the apocalypse. It adds the nice dimension of not knowing who will end up as a bad guy. I think the chief is going to end up that way, but either way I'm sure there will be some cool twists.

During the cemetery scene, I definitely noticed that headless sign Easter egg. Fun addition, though nobody else I was with noticed it. I was also thinking during the scene how much the horseman reminds me of the terminator. He is wielding guns and a broad axe, is invincible for now, and has a fluid, robotic-like feel to him.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

let me just get this out of the way

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

HEADLESS SPOILERS
WILL CHOP YOUR SPOILERHEADS
OFF AND NECKFUCK THEM

SPOILERS

SPOILERS FOR LATEST EP OF SLEEPY HOLLOW FROM HERE ON IN THIS THREAD

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

RE WARNED

AND FUCKING WARNED

SPOILERS

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 September 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

..., did anyone else notice when the Horseman was stood on his horse in the cemetery of the church there was a yellow caution sign with a dude on horseback, and after the fight and the axe went slicing through the sign the figure on the sign no longer had a head? It was subtle, but the Mrs noticed it. Nice little easter egg....

View PostStalker, on 23 September 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

... I definitely noticed that headless sign Easter egg. Fun addition, though nobody else I was with noticed it....

Ah, but did you notice the chain draped across it? .... nicely reffing both the chains the priest tried to use to defend himself, but also the chains used to send Headless to the bottom of the lake.

I do have one nitpick.... when John Cho (who apparently cannot live through any tv show he's on) demon, Abby saw it in the mirror, which then shattered. I'm pretty sure no cell-block in the civilized world includes a mirror which the detainee could shatter and use to self-harm or as a weapon, but we'll just write that off to quaint small town silliness and move on.

As for the Four Horsemen, it's a nice touch, especially since they can intro another Horseman at any point including each season, plus an unlimited supply of witches and demons to work with.

There is a risk of this show going too far down the freak-of-the-week route, but i'm hoping lessons learned from what worked and didnt work on FRINGE help.

Now they have to get John Noble a cow, some licorice, and a bong. A really big bong.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Second episode was another solid outing. Quite enjoyed the creepiness of the witch attempting to eat the descendants to get her powers/body back. But the best bit of the episode was obviously the "Don't be scared of No. 49" and the Sarah Conner sister mental hospital reveal.

Good stuff.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 September 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

Second episode was another solid outing. Quite enjoyed the creepiness of the witch attempting to eat the descendants to get her powers/body back. But the best bit of the episode was obviously the "Don't be scared of No. 49" and the Sarah Conner sister mental hospital reveal.

Good stuff.

The last five min, Aby with the Sheriff and then no 49, were the high points of the ep.

I liked Crane's man-out-of-time bit, which was done for mostly humour and little of the usual panic and horror that sort of act usually gets in genre.

The overall plot was a bit race-to-beat-the- freak-of-the-week, but worked well enough, plus we got a visual on the Four Horsemen, tho interesting they're going with 'Conquest', instead of 'Pestilence'.

Crane throwing the gun away after one shot was funny.

Also, i deeply hope John Cho gets to die and come back virtually every episode because that would be a great bit.

#7 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

Watched both episodes and I was pleasently surprised, really enjoyed it!

The one thing I hope it doesn't descend to is the' catch a bad guy a week' show which I am currently sick of watching!

Loved the mirror scene with the big bad, freaky!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 October 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Dammit my DVR didn't record ep 3 tonight and I know I set it. Did it not air for some reason?

Haven't watched yet (the Mrs and I have decided that we PVR it so we can watch it and then SHIELD on Tuesdays), but our PVR recorded it. So it was on. Perhaps your PVR is mucked up? Or was it set to record at a different time? It was on at 9PM.

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

That episode was awesome, and it was REALLY fucking creepy! Sandman *shivers*

Oh, and I really like the actor who is portraying Abbie's sister Jenny. She's got this air of badass surrounding her.

I hazard to say that out of all the fall shows, including SHIELD, I am getting the most consistent enjoyment out of SLEEPY HOLLOW. Both leads make the show REALLY worth watching.

#10 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

QuickTidal said:

1380721695[/url]' post='1088484']

I hazard to say that out of all the fall shows, including SHIELD, I am getting the most consistent enjoyment out of SLEEPY HOLLOW. Both leads make the show REALLY worth watching.

Word.

I'm digging the hell out of his show. Hopefully they can keep it entertaining.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Watched the first two eps so far, and while it's heavily flawed (the exposition is clunky as hell, it falls into far too many writer's traps that leaves the necessary plot manipulation jabbing into my awareness), it's also doing a lot of things right and a great deal of fun. The leads are bang on (and the dude playing Ichabod is amusingly midway between Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch), it's striking just the right balance on the 'man out of time' angle, and the dialogue is slick and amusing.

I'm in, for now.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#12 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

I have absolutely no idea what is going on in this show. Only catching half of any given episode isn't helping any.

But I think the guy playing Ichabod Crane is dreamy and the girl who plays Abbey is cute as a button. I'm pretty sure it's the real reason I'm tuning in. I don't like cop shows and I don't really like ghost stories and scary stuff., so it must just be that I like looking at Ichabod's eyes and listening to him talk.

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:01 AM

Ep 4 was excellent, with some hearty demon-development stuff.

But seriously the two leads make this show MORE than worthwhile on their own....but yeah, the spooky demons, historical mysteries and factions.

It's just everything I like.

Oh, and the Mrs. thinks that Tom Mison would make an excellent Doctor on DOCTOR WHO...and I'm inclined to agree. He'd be badass.

#14 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Ichabod's Zherman is exceptional. Heh. :doh: It's interesting how in this episode German became the mystery lingo. Usually it's archaic Greek or some such

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostRictus, on 09 October 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Ichabod's Zherman is exceptional. Heh. :doh: It's interesting how in this episode German became the mystery lingo. Usually it's archaic Greek or some such

Indeed. I quite liked that as well. It's a nice addition to the mythos they are building by having the Hessian's past explored in such ways. Jennifer mentions the Templars and such, but they focus on the German element instead. Cool stuff.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 09 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

#16 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

Tbh that's probably the most interesting bit of the myth-making so far on this show- I'm not finding that side very interesting, or very well done. Despite some initial differences of setup, this show is increasingly reminding me of Supernatural, but not standing up to the comparison. For example: after like one episode, I was really intrigued, and really disliked, 'The yellow-eyed demon'. After four episodes, I couldn't give a shit about Goat-Head Guy.

The human elements of the show are far more interesting than the non-human, tbh. I really like the way they're dealing with Ichabod in the modern world- the opening scene of the last episode cracked me up.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Tbh that's probably the most interesting bit of the myth-making so far on this show- I'm not finding that side very interesting, or very well done. Despite some initial differences of setup, this show is increasingly reminding me of Supernatural, but not standing up to the comparison. For example: after like one episode, I was really intrigued, and really disliked, 'The yellow-eyed demon'. After four episodes, I couldn't give a shit about Goat-Head Guy.

The human elements of the show are far more interesting than the non-human, tbh. I really like the way they're dealing with Ichabod in the modern world- the opening scene of the last episode cracked me up.

Yeah, the shows does really fly on its characters first and foremost (though I am less hard on the mystery and demons stuff than PG is, as it's all entertaining to me). And the attention to Ichabod's time displacement that keeps being paid attention to (my fave is still him throwing away the gun after one shot, assuming it had only the one) is one of the best aspects. "What do you mean there is a 41 cent tax levy on coffee?!?! Why aren't people rioting in the streets?!"

#18 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

'It is I who should thank you, kind woman, for unlocking this vehicle from afar, and showing me how the entertainment system operates.' Oh my goodness this scene just cracks me up every time I think about.

#19 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 October 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 09 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

Yeah, the shows does really fly on its characters first and foremost (though I am less hard on the mystery and demons stuff than PG is, as it's all entertaining to me). And the attention to Ichabod's time displacement that keeps being paid attention to (my fave is still him throwing away the gun after one shot, assuming it had only the one) is one of the best aspects. "What do you mean there is a 41 cent tax levy on coffee?!?! Why aren't people rioting in the streets?!"

Loved that dialogue!

I actually think the attention to detail may start to filter into the plot so I have been intrigued by goings on. John Cho is proper creepy in this show which I never expected from an actor like him. He seems to be branching out which I find suits him. Nikki Behaire is a nice balance of strong and sexy. And Tom Mison who I remember from another show I can't place is really shining in the role of Ichabod Crane.

All-in-all I think there's a lot here that has been done before but its a niche market so no remorse from cable providers is likely. The writers just need to draw real general interest, upping the ante, throwing cumulative plot at the main characters GoT style. Obvious relationships are on the way but oddly its not an annoying prospect. I'm interested in the possible twists that may arise because of this. I guess I'm enjoying Sleepy Hollow largely because its new and weird, it will likely do to supernatural what Arrow did to Smallville, rehashing interest in the subject matter is a win win. I'm curious to see if it falls in the Heroes or the Alphas Box. It's clearly a fun watch, but will it deliver? Or will it keep stringing us along?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

Last night's ep was a cracker!

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users